Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Al Borland posted:

Laser beams fire and teleporting as far as I can tell looks cool.

We're on Nox those of us who are active. I'm fairly casual not in a guild yet although we have two you can join apparently.

I'm the amankaa faction or however it is spelled. Just got done running some dungeons with Dackel gonna crash for now though.

In game name is Gourmand Batard

I belong to a very small, very new guild that's based entirely around being a generally chill, nice person and doing nice stuff for people :3: It's called "Warm Fuzzies". And woot- I'm on Nox! I'll make a new character sometime soon; my kitty cat is named Callistria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I made a character on Nox today (sad days, losing my level 100+ characters). Decided to try Eliotrope. Ended up going Earth and it's tolerably fun.

Just named the character Kitty Empress

Edit: Just like on Phaeris, it's pretty boring to run around solo. I got to level 16 or so without picking a Nation since I don't know where goons are at.

Also, if you're in a cool 'pubbie' guild there's nothing wrong with that, and grinding up a goon only guild seems sort of silly to me. We probably wont have the numbers to support a guild on our own any time soon.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 12, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

KittyEmpress posted:

Also, if you're in a cool 'pubbie' guild there's nothing wrong with that, and grinding up a goon only guild seems sort of silly to me. We probably wont have the numbers to support a guild on our own any time soon.

Yeah fairly true, we can always do stuff together too with a guild or without.

I'm hanging around Astrub still will be on in a bit if you want to run some of the dungeons around there.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Al Borland posted:

Yeah fairly true, we can always do stuff together too with a guild or without.

I'm hanging around Astrub still will be on in a bit if you want to run some of the dungeons around there.

Sure, I'm cooking dinner and gonna eat and stuff, but I'll be on in half an hour or so.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

KittyEmpress posted:

Sure, I'm cooking dinner and gonna eat and stuff, but I'll be on in half an hour or so.

sounds good I just got on.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

I definitely think pubbie main guilds is the way to go for now - but I'm still planning on trying to help setup a goon alt guild. Once we get the guild points needed to have a chest, we can use it for shared storage - tossing extra lowbie keys etc from one to another.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
If anyones on and wants to adventure in Astrub with me hit me up.

Also today's advent calendar is the red cap stocking.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

I'll get on, too :3: I hope I remember names because I'm a lazy rear end. AlBo - are you still Gourmand Batard like it says earlier?

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Double Post: Ugh I'll go add my name to the list. My only current is Calistria.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
Ground several hundred guild points with my gem accounts thinking the bank tab was 1000 GP... it's 3000. Feels like a hell of a number lol.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

SpiDeR posted:

Ground several hundred guild points with my gem accounts thinking the bank tab was 1000 GP... it's 3000. Feels like a hell of a number lol.

with how few of us there are may not even be worth it haha.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

I already told Kitty Empress they're free to join my guild if they want= if there aren't enough goons for the guild and it falls apart, you're all free to join my...all of two-members-group. We're poorly managed, barely staffed, and do nothing of use.

I have a great sales pitch. :kimchi:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Haha we'll see! RIght now I'm a vagabond running around and playing with random people till I find a place of my own.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

I've been running around the starter areas planting flowers in the shape of arrows that point in random directions. About a handful of newbies have confusedly and excitedly begun to follow the arrows looking for treasure. :allears: ((also, if you're on, your name doesn't seem to work, or I'm just doing something horribly wrong))

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 12, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Freakbox posted:

((also, if you're on, your name doesn't seem to work, or I'm just doing something horribly wrong))

Yeah i've been having the same problem for the last two hours.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I waited around for about an hour but wasn't able toa dd anyone to my friends list so i left.

I'll get on if anyones still on now though.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The game is a little weird about messaging people with a space in their name, I remember that at least. If you use whisper commands you have to type something like: /w "Kitty Empress" text

Should work fine using the friendlist though (shortcut C)

Just me and Al on atm though, darn timezones

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I was around too, added you to my contact list and everything.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
New friends made!

See you guys tomorrow night a bit I hope.

I wanna run some more dungeons for fun.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too

Freakbox posted:

I already told Kitty Empress they're free to join my guild if they want= if there aren't enough goons for the guild and it falls apart, you're all free to join my...all of two-members-group. We're poorly managed, barely staffed, and do nothing of use.

I have a great sales pitch. :kimchi:

My main is in a nice sized guild, there's always folks on. I invite active goons to it when I see them. The alt guild... well I made it for fun, for better looking guild costume, and a place to shove alts and the junk they find for crafting. The big guild I'm in has like 2+ tabs full of keys, it's really quite dumb how many keys this game has.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

SpiDeR posted:

My main is in a nice sized guild, there's always folks on. I invite active goons to it when I see them. The alt guild... well I made it for fun, for better looking guild costume, and a place to shove alts and the junk they find for crafting. The big guild I'm in has like 2+ tabs full of keys, it's really quite dumb how many keys this game has.

Yeah the key to dungeon system is pretty dumb imo.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Today's challenge thing. IDK what the heck that thing is but it looks like its crying maybe?

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
Ogrest... he's the 'great calamity' of the world of twelve and the only interaction with him you were supposed to get was Mount Zinit, which has been disabled for a while?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Sounds like he needs a hug.

I just made a Feca because my ideal end game character is one of them made the Enutrof to get gear for him and what not. I'm on right now as:

Egide Bouclier

E:

Remade him gotta do the tutorial Feca are note xactly great without gear lol.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 13, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

As a big nerd who actually cares about the 'lore' of this game because it's neat, Ogrest is what caused the calamity that turned the world of Dofus into the world of Wakfu. A thousand years ago he gathered the six mystical dofus to give to his lover, a Doll that Sadida made and had given life, in hopes it would make her truly alive. She cast him aside for 'reasons' (some sources say she never loved him and wanted power, but he stopped her, others say she was afraid of what would happen if she became real, others say Sadida himself stepped in and stopped her). He cried, and the mystical power of the Dofus had turned him into a literal god, so his tears poured down from above, flooding the world. The gods did what they could, grabbing humans while Sadida grabbed trees and Osamados grabbed the animals. They hid the humans in Incarnum as Incarnates until Ogrest's tears finally settled down. At this point the founding of Astrub happened, on the ruins of what was basically the main capital city in Dofus. The exceptions to this are the Foggernauts who lived underwater and simply survived the storms by doing so, the Rogues who stole powers from Sram and invented air ships and stuff to stay alive, and the Masqueraiders who used powers stolen from Sadida to hide. Oh and the Elliotropes, though I don't know their lore at all.

The nations sprung up from there, etc etc. The obvious endgame Wakfu has been pointing to since its release is that one day we'll defeat Ogrest and restore peace to the world. Still has yet to happen.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

KittyEmpress posted:

As a big nerd who actually cares about the 'lore' of this game because it's neat, Ogrest is what caused the calamity that turned the world of Dofus into the world of Wakfu. A thousand years ago he gathered the six mystical dofus to give to his lover, a Doll that Sadida made and had given life, in hopes it would make her truly alive. She cast him aside for 'reasons' (some sources say she never loved him and wanted power, but he stopped her, others say she was afraid of what would happen if she became real, others say Sadida himself stepped in and stopped her). He cried, and the mystical power of the Dofus had turned him into a literal god, so his tears poured down from above, flooding the world. The gods did what they could, grabbing humans while Sadida grabbed trees and Osamados grabbed the animals. They hid the humans in Incarnum as Incarnates until Ogrest's tears finally settled down. At this point the founding of Astrub happened, on the ruins of what was basically the main capital city in Dofus. The exceptions to this are the Foggernauts who lived underwater and simply survived the storms by doing so, the Rogues who stole powers from Sram and invented air ships and stuff to stay alive, and the Masqueraiders who used powers stolen from Sadida to hide. Oh and the Elliotropes, though I don't know their lore at all.

The nations sprung up from there, etc etc. The obvious endgame Wakfu has been pointing to since its release is that one day we'll defeat Ogrest and restore peace to the world. Still has yet to happen.

I read the pictographs in game too :3 Its pretty cool.

Shame they kind of abandoned that plot.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Al Borland posted:

I read the pictographs in game too :3 Its pretty cool.

Shame they kind of abandoned that plot.

They haven't really - if you watch the 'cutscene' when starting a new character, it discusses how 12 heroes of legend teamed up to cause Ogrest to stop 'for now', but couldn't truly defeat him. And then it talks about how a chosen one has arrived in the world, destined to seek the 12 legendary artifacts to of those heroes and stop Ogrest for good.

YOu then fall from Incarnum through Pappy Pal's roof, and when you beat Shreddie you meet Ullu, messenger of the gods, who goes HEY YOU'RE THE HERO OF LEGENDS GO DO poo poo TWERP. THE GODS SAY GET ON IT NOW.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
The elios were created by Yugo btw , or well brought back from what i saw on a blurb about it on their website. I haven't gotten that far in the series yet though :o:.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Al Borland posted:

The elios were created by Yugo btw , or well brought back from what i saw on a blurb about it on their website. I haven't gotten that far in the series yet though :o:.

Yeah I only just barely got to the finale of season one.

Also I decided to try sram again and go air instead of water, so Kitten Empress exists now.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too

KittyEmpress posted:

YOu then fall from Incarnum through Pappy Pal's roof, and when you beat Shreddie you meet Ullu, messenger of the gods, who goes HEY YOU'RE THE HERO OF LEGENDS GO DO poo poo TWERP. THE GODS SAY GET ON IT NOW.

From what I was reading, it used to be that you were supposed to take a boat, climb Mount Zinit and meet Ullu again, he gives you a pep talk... and Ogrest just 1-round casts you off the side. Now, after getting the Astrub Knight, nobody talks about you being the 'hero of legend' ever again.

Eliatrope lore was all season 2 of the show could talk about...

SpiDeR fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 13, 2014

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland posted:

That's technically caused by a thing that doesn't happen until the post-series specials. And even then it's kinda like "hey remember that thing that happened in the specials? Well it had huge side effects that were not shown, discussed, or foreshadowed in any way in those specials, and that's why we have a new class now!" Presumably if/when we get more Wakfu cartoons, the storyline will progress and actually cover this stuff. Not that there isn't plenty of 'trope-related story, just the actual "related to the launch of the new class" content is about zero.

Also this thread has reminded me I need to finish the Ogrest special. I watched the regular post-series specials first and they pretty much assume you watched Ogrest, and apparently to a lesser extent the Dofus cartoon, so if anyone's doing a marathon that's something to keep in mind re: viewing order. (Nox also has a one-shot about him that's pretty drat good.)

I really hope they bring back the Zinit quest stuff soon. I need uglycute pets and that shnek anteater thing is locked behind the quest wall. As is its food, apparently, so even if I just bought one food would be a nightmare. :mad:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SpiDeR posted:

From what I was reading, it used to be that you were supposed to take a boat, climb Mount Zinit and meet Ullu again, he gives you a pep talk... and Ogrest just 1-round casts you off the side. Now, after getting the Astrub Knight, nobody talks about you being the 'hero of legend' ever again.

Eliatrope lore was all season 2 of the show could talk about...

See, the whole AStrub Knight thing is mostly new. When the game first started, you always did Incarnum, and you did it as your class you chose. After you hit level 10 you left incarnum, and were supposed to go join a nation or hang out in Astrud, but Ullu shows up and is like HEY YOU, I THINK YOU CAN BEAT OGREST! (It's outright stated by the owls that he's lying and does this all the time, and gets lots of fresh incarnates killed). If you say YEAH ULLU I CAN DO IT he flys you to Ogrest, who looks at you, and slaps you off the building. The owls show up and save you and carry you to Astrub. Then Ullu shows up again there and is like 'okay so maybe you weren't ready YET but you didn't die so that's a GOOD SIGN HERE GO TO THIS BOAT' and then you go to a boat and go to mount zinit, and start climbing it. You get to the base of it and then he's like 'ehh maybe you should train more.' Then you go back at level 60ish and do the second part of it, and you get about halfway up the mountain. The third act of Mount Zinit was never added, so you never got to meet Ogrest the second time. Unless that happened after I quit but before they removed Zinit a few months ago.

Astrub also used to be much smaller, only including three buildings total.

They've basically revamped the whole new game thing from release completely. Everything from Incarnum up to the 'choose a nation/join the guard' quests are brand new.

Edit: Seriously, the whole 'cutscene and you are the chosen one' thing is less than 4 months old, because I quit four months ago and it wasn't around back then. Astrub being 'rebuilt' is brand new. I wouldn't doubt if the 'chosen one' quest line is going to get more quests in it as they go. According to the devs on the forums, they're taking a '1/2 of our content creation will be revamping old outdated stuff, 1/2 of our content creation will be new high level stuff.'

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 13, 2014

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Do you nerds still play on Asiagame server, or now that the game has been released on steam and gotten an additional player base, have finally switched back to the international/MURICAN server.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SweetBro posted:

Do you nerds still play on Asiagame server, or now that the game has been released on steam and gotten an additional player base, have finally switched back to the international/MURICAN server.

A bunch of us still have characters on the asian server, but the new wave is all on Nox, and some of us are coming back and playing on Nox since the Phaeris guild is mostly inactive currently.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
The point of Eliotropes is that it allows Ankama to keep proudly stating that they never have and never will make Eliatropes playable (in a "main" game).

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So a group of freinds and I have all rolled into the game (4 of us total). Each of us have had this serious bout of "wait, what is this class supposed to do?" as we do as much research as possible and power level multiple classes to ~30 in an attempt to punch through the game's weird systems to actually find some sort of clear expectations on play style, an endeavor that has resulted in me ending up with a Masqueraider, Foggernaut, and a Xelor (and I'm tempted to run an Eliotrope as well just to get one final look at something before maybe trying to decide what to play).

It seems like Masqueraider is the only one of these three that has any sort of realized gameplay flow at ~LV30, as a water/air spec where I am either shooting things with water or using air for positional support for myself/my group and all of my leveling at this point will be focused upon slowly morphing the 3-2 skillset with them being augmented by whatever passives/class skills I'm leveling along the way.

Fogger and Xelor feel like they bring way more to the table, but also still seem completely undefined at our level 30 benchmarks. Personally, I feel like for both of these I'd want to run some sort of 2-2-2 trielem spec for the group utility, but I don't understand what I should be doing between level 30 and like, level 80 when I probably have enough points to actually pump up the relevant passives/actives for the class-specific stuff that defines what you end up spending the majority of your time in battles doing.
Please help, what are we supposed to be doing as we level up? :(

Emalde fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 13, 2014

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Emalde posted:

So a group of freinds and I have all rolled into the game (4 of us total). Each of us have had this serious bout of "wait, what is this class supposed to do?" as we do as much research as possible and power level multiple classes to ~30 in an attempt to punch through the game's weird systems to actually find some sort of clear expectations on play style, an endeavor that has resulted in me ending up with a Masqueraider, Foggernaut, and a Xelor (and I'm tempted to run an Eliotrope as well just to get one final look at something before maybe trying to decide what to play).

It seems like Masqueraider is the only one of these three that has any sort of realized gameplay flow at ~LV30, as a water/air spec where I am either shooting things with water or using air for positional support for myself/my group and all of my leveling at this point will be focused upon slowly morphing the 3-2 skillset with them being augmented by whatever passives/class skills I'm leveling along the way.

Fogger and Xelor feel like they bring way more to the table, but also still seem completely undefined at our level 30 benchmarks. Personally, I feel like for both of these I'd want to run some sort of 2-2-2 trielem spec for the group utility, but I don't understand what I should be doing between level 30 and like, level 80 when I probably have enough points to actually pump up the relevant passives/actives for the class-specific stuff that defines what you end up spending the majority of your time in battles doing.
Please help, what are we supposed to be doing as we level up? :(

The "problem" with a game like this is that there are certain cutoffs that drastically change the DPS/utility you bring to the table, in particular the level limits when you:
1) gain more AP/MP
2) gain a crapton more dmg% or survivability
3) suddenly max out a passive that reduces AP/MP costs

Suddenly your "real" build starts to manifest itself. You'll stop casting a 4ap spell and tack on a crappy 2ap spell to round out your 6ap, but rather being able to dual/triple cast a 4ap or dual cast a 5ap or dual cast a 6ap. This is when you (if you went without a guide from the getgo) start to condense your spells into the worth leveling/worth keeping on hotbar/not worth keeping at all.

From memory the big cutoffs are:

all the major character point levels (25, 75, 125)
maxing out (or gaining maximum potential: e.g. max AP cost reduction, max range) of a crucial active/passive
the major levels where level locked stats start appearing on pieces of equipment (MP on boots lv35+, AP on necklace lv40/45+, etc)

There are some special equipment pieces that have an unnatural (i.e. MP on boots or breastplates would be considered "natural") stat attached to them, that are conditional. E.g. there are rings that increase 1 AP at a big cost to other things, but your max AP can't exceed 10. The only equipment pieces that will go over such a limit is the Unique/Legendary stuff like Gelano

It's just sad that the info you can read up on is very sparse, unless you sift through the french forums. However there are some community members that have some very nice guides out there, that spend a LOT of their time min/maxing so you don't have to: People like Mango (Brokonaut on forums) for example.

All that said though, be very very thankful that the new respec is set at lv80 (it used to be lv10 and lv30). Use the knowledge you gained playing from 30 to 80 to streamline ideas about your build and the spot you want to fill in your group.

Sorry for the big wall of text, I hope it was sort of useful :(

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

One thing that might be a problem is that you chose three of the most weird and complicated classes. Masqueraider is just bad. Its fire tree is a worse fire iop or fire sacrier, its air is a worse air iop, and its water is an okay healer but unless its been buffed it can't stand up to end game content as a main healer. They're usable but iops are just really good, before the revamps and every class starting to get buffed (starting with pandawa and SRAM) Iops usually took the top spot in every which class is best contest.

Xelor... Honestly I want to say with xelors that actually stealing AP is a trap until a long time away. Going Air/Fire and just blowing poo poo up is maximum fun and the easiest thing to do. Fire has incredibly potent damage, especially once you get used to getting your buffs and stuff running.

Foggernaut is weird, but currently Stasis Foggernauts do a poo poo ton of damage. Statis takes its damage bonus from a sum of your highest three elemental damages AFAIK, and gear is supporting tri-elem stuff way more often at top level. There's also no real way to boost resistance to Stasis, though a lot of higher level bosses have some resistance. This means its really good for PvP but not the best for pvm. They can make alright tanks, and their earth tree is really good at manipulating AI by placing rocks in paths.

Eliotrope I've only played a bit but it seems... Odd. I don't know what kind of advice to give for them. I played a earth/air one to level 20 and felt a lot stronger than my Sram when it came to doing damage, but it didn't feel particularly tanky or anything.

Edit: a problem the lower pre-90ish content of this game has from my memory is that killing poo poo faster is almost always the best utility. Like yeah you probably want a water enrispa, masq, Sadida, or pandawa to be healer, but otherwise 'kills poo poo quick' is king

Not to mention the fact that the classes really need their revamps. Sram, Pandawa, and Eliotrope are the current top three just because the revamps were so good for the first two, and Elio was designed to match the revamped power level of classes.

Cra and Iop are 'next' in line to get revamped but we don't know when.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 13, 2014

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Eliotropes seem to be glass cannons. They can bounce around and hit most of the battlefield and have some utility gadgets, but they don't have much in the way of defense and their skills lend themselves to flipping out and doing huge damage when hurt badly. The only real defense an Eliotrope has is kiting with teleports. A lot of people evidently think the positional earth reflect shield is defense, but testing has apparently shown that it doesn't reduce damage, it just damages whatever hit you, so it's actually offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Valatar posted:

Eliotropes seem to be glass cannons. They can bounce around and hit most of the battlefield and have some utility gadgets, but they don't have much in the way of defense and their skills lend themselves to flipping out and doing huge damage when hurt badly. The only real defense an Eliotrope has is kiting with teleports. A lot of people evidently think the positional earth reflect shield is defense, but testing has apparently shown that it doesn't reduce damage, it just damages whatever hit you, so it's actually offensive.

The reflect portion of the spell is also not level dependant, so the only thing that changes using that spell is the damage component, not the reflect component. Same thing with the 5ap PBAoE damage mitigation spell, no need to level it, it will protect your allies the same (still very situational). Same with the push/pull spells of course.

Personally I like them so far, they are a bit clunky to play at low levels because most spells are linear and you don't have enough AP to use portals while doing damage at the same time. Getting that +1ap at 25 really helped though, because now you can finally Exalt and use a big 5ap spell same turn

• Locked thread