Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Seltzer posted:

I'm really glad someone made this thread so it didn't bleed over. 24 loving pages...

Go to 6:23 to hear the only opinion you need on the situation.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/11/7379215/nate-diaz-weighs-in-on-missing-open-workouts-ufc-uniforms-cm-punks

or listen to the whole loving thing cuz it's the realness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

As hilarious as Punk getting his face punched in is going to be - people can't stop talking about this here and everywhere else and it's going to be a spectacle that a ton of people are going to want to see happen live.

Mission accomplished, I guess.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yep. Don't care about MMA. Don't care about UFC. Buying whatever PPV Punk is on even if he's going to lose.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The UFC is actually pretty good irt concussions. Mandatory time off periods after knockouts, independent doctors. They're pretty good. Idk much at all about the WWE except someone told me CM Punk was told to run the ropes and that if he could do it he was fine which is pretty dang funny and also really really bad.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
And Nate Diaz might not be the most coherent dude in the world but he's really on point with all of that.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I'd buy a wwe ppv if one or both diaz brothers were at the event and someone came out to challenge them in the ring pro wrestling style. History shows us that this would be worth my money.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I'd buy a wwe ppv if one or both diaz brothers were at the event and someone came out to challenge them in the ring pro wrestling style. History shows us that this would be worth my money.

lol

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Someone please post the picture of a confused Nick Diaz talking to Paul Heyman

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The UFC is actually pretty good irt concussions. Mandatory time off periods after knockouts, independent doctors. They're pretty good. Idk much at all about the WWE except someone told me CM Punk was told to run the ropes and that if he could do it he was fine which is pretty dang funny and also really really bad.

Also, for context, UFC have not (to this date) had a well-respected fighter kill himself and his family and be shown at autopsy to have severe Alzheimer's-like brain damage to the extent that a court would almost certainly find it difficult to reach the bar for criminal responsibility for his actions

But otoh it's, like, super important that Punk goes on that European tour, so do what you gotta do

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

This is correct, all I wanted to clear was that while CM Punk may have bum knees and a history of concussions he will be cleared anyway excluding something like being knocked out hours before appearing before the commission. Which could happen if he goes bath shopping with Renan Barao I guess.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
That dude can barely put a sentence together.

What did he mean about small noses? Wouldn't that be preferable when getting punched in the face?

Shadalator fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 12, 2014

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shadalator posted:

That dude can barely put a sentence together

Years ago Punk had an interview with Ariel Helwani saying that he wanted nothing more than to get the Diaz Brothers in the same room with the Briscoe Brothers. He can now make this happen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

This is correct, all I wanted to clear was that while CM Punk may have bum knees and a history of concussions he will be cleared anyway excluding something like being knocked out hours before appearing before the commission. Which could happen if he goes bath shopping with Renan Barao I guess.

His knee problems have been pretty greatly overstated. He had knee problems that caused him problems because he couldn't get them fixed immediately, but he got them fixed. It doesn't seem like they led to long term problems. His knees are probably way better off than your average high level amateur wrestler... just without all of the skills that come with that pedigree.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Shadalator posted:

That dude can barely put a sentence together.

What did he mean about small noses? Wouldn't that be preferable when getting punched in the face?

He's chatting about sparring noses ya dummy

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CarlCX posted:

-Randy Couture getting a heavyweight title shot after getting knocked out at a lower weightclass and retiring
-Nick Diaz losing, retiring in a huff, getting a title shot, losing, retiring in a huff, then getting Anderson Silva
-Kimbo Slice flunking out of TUF, being brought in anyway and getting multiple fights
-Tito/Ken: the trilogy that always ends exactly the same way
-Mark Hunt, the comeback so improbable the UFC didn't even want it until he forced them and lost in a minute
-Joe Silva's desire to see Yoshihiro Akiyama murdered forever
-Rin Nakai escapes Japanese slavery, gets punched several times by a confused-looking model
-James Toney, a fighter who literally does not know what MMA is

MMA is built on bitch moves, yuriy, it's just a question of which ones hit, which ones miss, and which ones are hilarious, and this will be hilarious no matter what happens.

Embrace the love.

Can I get video links to some of these is not all cause without context I am laughing my rear end off.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Add Jose Canseco to the list of people that called out CM Punk.

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/543448756390084610

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/cm-punk-on-his-mma-level-ive-only-sparred-a-few-times-train-infrequently-with-rener-gracie/

So yeah, Punk's a white belt.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

With the incredulity with which Meltzer is talking about Punk revealing his (lack of) credentials and saying that he's setting the bar intentionally low, is there any possible way he's training in secret and is more skilled than he lets on? I may be but a mark but it seems so bizarre that someone with any sense would try this with so few credentials.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

flashy_mcflash posted:

With the incredulity with which Meltzer is talking about Punk revealing his (lack of) credentials and saying that he's setting the bar intentionally low, is there any possible way he's training in secret and is more skilled than he lets on? I may be but a mark but it seems so bizarre that someone with any sense would try this with so few credentials.

This isn't pro wrestling. If he was training anywhere, SOMEONE (especially someone like Dave) would have heard about it. Honestly, it's not that bizarre, I'm sure Punk knows that Dana and Lorenzo are going to treat him with kid gloves when it comes to making sure he's up against similar competition to begin with. (That is to say, a complete can.)

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

nope.

6+ months of full time training is more than reasonable for someone having their first fight, its just usually it would be an amateur fight. most guys wouldn't even have a real training camp for their first amateur fight, or even their first pro fight.

the questions are: will punk actually be training full time? how seriously will he take it? will he join an existing team or build a camp around him? how will his body hold up? how will his ego hold up? etc. etc. etc.

if he goes in and trains smart and full time under real coaches with real sparring partners he will have a large advantage over anyone else making their pro debut, unless they have a significant athletic (amateur mma, wrestling, bjj, boxing, etc.) background.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Or if they have knees

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
bautista was training in muay thai for a few years before he landed at caesar gracie's, and he went from white to blue in about a year, then blue to purple in about a year after that. caesar even said that bautista was less skilled than a lot purples, but would destroy most of them due to being exceedingly strong.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Or if they have knees

yeah, punk's athletic background involves all the staph infections, knee problems and concussions of a combat athlete aged 36 years, without all the physical gifts and learned skills that usually accompany it

i guess to expand on the guy talking about how cm punk doesn't bench press: a couple of dudes (notably kawajiri and kennedy) have had solid careers based entirely on being able to bench press a lot, by just getting on top of guys and pushing down on them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

david carmichael posted:

nope.

6+ months of full time training is more than reasonable for someone having their first fight, its just usually it would be an amateur fight. most guys wouldn't even have a real training camp for their first amateur fight, or even their first pro fight.

the questions are: will punk actually be training full time? how seriously will he take it? will he join an existing team or build a camp around him? how will his body hold up? how will his ego hold up? etc. etc. etc.

if he goes in and trains smart and full time under real coaches with real sparring partners he will have a large advantage over anyone else making their pro debut, unless they have a significant athletic (amateur mma, wrestling, bjj, boxing, etc.) background.

Point taken - I'm trying to look at this from UFC's perspective though. The criteria for this pontential opponent seems so specific that I can't see who they'd get. It needs to be someone with no skills and no record, but I'd think it'd also have to be someone that they could market if he beats Punk. I mean, the first fight is going to pop a buyrate no matter what, but how many cans do people want to see Punk go to a decision with, or how many times will people want to see Punk lose?

Then again Kimbo Slice is proof that a guy doesn't ever have to win or look even halfway competent to keep people watching so what do I know.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
UFC 194: CM Punk vs James Toney.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Point taken - I'm trying to look at this from UFC's perspective though. The criteria for this pontential opponent seems so specific that I can't see who they'd get. It needs to be someone with no skills and no record, but I'd think it'd also have to be someone that they could market if he beats Punk. I mean, the first fight is going to pop a buyrate no matter what, but how many cans do people want to see Punk go to a decision with, or how many times will people want to see Punk lose?

Then again Kimbo Slice is proof that a guy doesn't ever have to win or look even halfway competent to keep people watching so what do I know.

kimbo slice beat a professional fighter in the ufc. a guy who had multiple wins even. but finding a complete bum will not be a problem. strikeforce found people to lose against herschel walker and bobby lashley, there is certainly no shortage of 185 pound wesleys sim to go out there and get embarrassed

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Bob Sapp, your time has come for your ultimate payday.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the idea that cm punk will be "popping a buyrate" is also not completely correct. he will have a positive influence on viewership for sure, but the real money is where if he strings together some wins and he fights someone who is a for serious fighter. i'm not sure they will be putting punk on a pay per view for awhile.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Lid posted:

Bob Sapp, your time has come for your ultimate payday.

unless punk has some natural striking talent and power bob sapp would be a hilariously bad matchup for him

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

david carmichael posted:

i'm not sure they will be putting punk on a pay per view for awhile.

It seems to me like they almost certainly will, mostly because they have no reason to think they would definitly get more than one fight out him

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

david carmichael posted:

unless punk has some natural striking talent and power bob sapp would be a hilariously bad matchup for him

Sapp doesn't fight to win and has not for many many years. If Punk shoots a takedown Sapp will claim his pelvis has broken.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Otto von Ruthless posted:

It seems to me like they almost certainly will, mostly because they have no reason to think they would definitly get more than one fight out him

the real money is in the documentary they will be making of his training for fox.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Lid posted:

Sapp doesn't fight to win and has not for many many years. If Punk shoots a takedown Sapp will claim his pelvis has broken.

all of sapp's loses have been against legit heavyweights, excepting minowa and nishijima. minowa hosed up his leg, and nishijima is a stupendous boxer. sapp hates getting hit in the face, but there is no reason to believe punk would be able to hit him. or even shoot on him

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

david carmichael posted:

I don't think I've seen Sapp throw a punch in like 5 years.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I don't even know what's happening once we reach the point where there's a discussion about a hypothetical fight between CM Punk and Bob loving Sapp

But if Dana White gives me money I am prepared to present the idea to the NSAC with a straight face

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

david carmichael posted:

the idea that cm punk will be "popping a buyrate" is also not completely correct. he will have a positive influence on viewership for sure, but the real money is where if he strings together some wins and he fights someone who is a for serious fighter. i'm not sure they will be putting punk on a pay per view for awhile.

I can see it go either way. I agree with you that a FOX show would be a great way to get many many eyes on the card due to amount of FOX promotion they can do leading up to it and how easy it'd be for casuals and non-fans to tune in. PPV is a tempting path as well though if they are confident they can market it very well (it'd be a really large budget for sure) and put really good fights to go with his debut. Since Punk has the potential to bring in brand new viewers to the product, as long as there are great fights on it to bring a large number of existing UFC fans to buy it then it can actually spike the numbers well. Those new fans have a good chance to convert as well (this is the same as on FOX of course). I guess it really boils down to how much stock they are putting in PPV numbers over FOX viewership for their valuation in 2015. If anything though, their PPV performance trend is a sign to shift focus away from PPV revenue representing their success.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I can't take anyone seriously when they say that CM Punk's first fight wouldn't be on PPV. His first fight is very likely the only one that matters, so it's going where it will make UFC money.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
If you put him on free tv and he's beating cans you can turn a decent ppv spike into a big one when you pit him against a real fighter

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

triplexpac posted:

His first fight is very likely the only one that matters

fatherdog posted:

Anyone rooting for Punk to lose is going to have a while to wait, because he's going to be matched up with 0-0 scrubs by a promotion that has every incentive to see him win. Unlike most 0-0 guys Punk has the time and money to train full time with a full range of top-flight coaches, which means that even given the handicaps of age, pro-wrestling-induced wear-and-tear, and (presumably) lack of PEDs, he's going to have an enormous advantage over the first (at bare minimum) two or three opponents he faces, and that's going to take us through the first year or two of his fight career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

If you put him on free tv and he's beating cans you can turn a decent ppv spike into a big one when you pit him against a real fighter

Or people will lose interest when he sucks and not watch his ppv.

• Locked thread