Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That reminds me, I've had all of season 2 of The Americans on my DVR for like 6 months and I have yet to watch it. Turns out watching shows that are aggressively non-kid-friendly gets difficult when you have kids.
Did that wacky sitcom sham marriage subplot from season 1 blow up as spectacularly as I'm hoping? Don't spoil it, just give me something to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

That reminds me, I've had all of season 2 of The Americans on my DVR for like 6 months and I have yet to watch it.
Did that wacky sitcom sham marriage subplot from season 1 blow up as spectacularly as I'm hoping? Don't spoil it, just give me something to look forward to.

I can't give you a definitive answer either way but the sham marriage subplot gets thrust to the fore though

ed: you should watch the americans s2, it's in the top three of tv shows ive watched this year raditts

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I can't give you a definitive answer either way but the sham marriage subplot gets thrust to the fore though

ed: you should watch the americans s2, it's in the top three of tv shows ive watched this year raditts

Just after Doctor Who and Last Man Standing?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't see how The Americans isn't kid friendly, there's kids in it!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BSam posted:

Just after Doctor Who and Last Man Standing?

i loving hate you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Reminder: The #1 rule of this thread is to not respond to Toxxupation. You lazy bums have short memories.

Pretend his posts don't exist in this thread, like I do in all threads.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Deadpool posted:

Reminder: The #1 rule of this thread is to not respond to Toxxupation. You lazy bums have short memories.

Pretend his posts don't exist in this thread, like I do in all threads.

Don't make me choose between you two I like you both

MOM AND DAD STOP FIGHTING

e: He's right about The Americans Season 2 being amazing, by the way

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Lugaloco posted:

The Americans was great this year except for that one scene in the final episode where a guy is dying for what feels like 10 minutes while spouting exposition like a motherfucker. Still, the Season 3 trailer is loving dope.
Then again all the people complaining about this point about last season of The Americans have no legs to stand on when talking about True Detective, which kinda also had an ending that was hyped up to be more than it could deliver on.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Sober posted:

Then again all the people complaining about this point about last season of The Americans have no legs to stand on when talking about True Detective, which kinda also had an ending that was hyped up to be more than it could deliver on.

I wouldn't say The Americans season finale was hyped up to be more than it was, just that one scene was very jarring compared to how excellent everything else was. I do agree that the TD finale was a bit overhyped, I'm not sure what people were really expecting with that one.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
"also" in the loosest sense of people complaining about how a season of one show ends being grounds for "why should it be considered over [this show]?" while advocating another which ended poorly.

Then again people who are more fairweather TV watchers and only watch like 4-5 shows a year and nearly all of them being cable dramas, they don't really have perspective. Guess I can't blame them.

Also Jane the Virgin got nominations at the GGs, and also showed up on this list. I can't wait for the epic meltdowns of the same people who wondering what the hell JtV is or why a network show is on the list. one of the best shows of the year

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lugaloco posted:

I wouldn't say The Americans season finale was hyped up to be more than it was, just that one scene was very jarring compared to how excellent everything else was. I do agree that the TD finale was a bit overhyped, I'm not sure what people were really expecting with that one.

Cthulu rising from his watery slumber.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

zoux posted:

Cthulu rising from his watery slumber.

You got McConaughey staring into some crazy space wormhole bullshit, what more do you guys want dammit :argh:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

Also Jane the Virgin got nominations at the GGs, and also showed up on this list. I can't wait for the epic meltdowns of the same people who wondering what the hell JtV is or why a network show is on the list. one of the best shows of the year

I'm rooting for Jane the Virgin if only because its the only comedy on the list that makes me, you know, laugh (its also a really good show). It'll be interesting to see if a light network show has a chance against arty prestige poo poo like Girls and OitNB.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

We're getting another Total Riff Off on December 16:

There's apparently an article for it but it's locked behind a login on tvguide.com so gently caress that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just finished rewatching You're the Worst and I already want to start again

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

I just finished rewatching You're the Worst and I already want to start again

I never got a chance to look it up: what was that song at the end of the first season that what's-her-face was singing karaoke to?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, last night's season finale for The Heart, She Holler sure was the weirdest 12 minutes I've ever seen. The whole episode took place in the church set and the only dialog was a speech by President Jimmy Carter. Partway through the episode another copy of the same speech starts playing but slightly out of synch.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

muscles like this? posted:

So, last night's season finale for The Heart, She Holler sure was the weirdest 12 minutes I've ever seen. The whole episode took place in the church set and the only dialog was a speech by President Jimmy Carter. Partway through the episode another copy of the same speech starts playing but slightly out of synch.

I've never seen The Heart, She Holler, but after that description I think I may need to fix that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

I never got a chance to look it up: what was that song at the end of the first season that what's-her-face was singing karaoke to?

"This Woman's Work" by Kate Bush. Absolutely beautiful song, and Kether Donohue did a gorgeous rendition of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Person of Interest seems to have at least 2 cars getting intentionally t-boned at an intersection per season.

These people need to learn to drive better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Person of Interest seems to have at least 2 cars getting intentionally t-boned at an intersection per season.

These people need to learn to drive better.

That seems to be an increasingly common trope, last season I remember seeing at least 5 different shows that had an ambush t-bone scene.
How likely would that even be to happen in real life? It's not like you would have much opportunity to pick up speed for that kind of thing on the streets of New York, and even then you'd have to time it pretty well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure you'd need at least a second car involved to control the speed/timing of the target.

That's what they did when Burn Notice did it. They boxed the target in so they could hit it with a garbage truck or something.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna break up this potential PoI jerkoff to post about something much cooler: my boss, who recently purchased the bakery that I work at, was just on an episode of Donut Showdown tonight and won! This is a very cool thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In news that is cooler than that, literally anything.

Back to PoI, if you had an awesome dog like Bear you could hold up traffic pretending to be blind or something to set up the t-bone collision.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm gonna break up this potential PoI jerkoff to post about something much cooler: my boss, who recently purchased the bakery that I work at, was just on an episode of Donut Showdown tonight and won! This is a very cool thing.

That's not a real show.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

That's not a real show.

Counterpoint:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's obviously a Photoshop.

The background's fake and they replaced the little Earth that motivational speaker was holding with a donut

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never seen people eat donuts lately.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Unless people leave my store and just chuck them in a fire somewhere, there are indeed people who still buy and consume donuts regularly.

If you told me that they were all doing that, though, I would totally believe it of a few of them, I work in the meth capital of San Diego.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Irish Joe posted:

Some guy in the CineD thread talked about his stupid dead dog for like three pages and no one made fun of him for being a blubbering baby who doesn't have any real friends. Do we really want that kind of chat thread here?

Yeah gently caress that thread for having a friendly atmosphere.

I finished Gilmore Girls season two and it's still good. I hope the love triangle doesn't get dragged out too long, although I'm 100% sure it will.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

You know OTHER forums mods let their chat threads talk about whatever :colbert:

I'm actually glad that this thread is pretty much strictly TV chat (yes, I am aware that I have derailed it occasionally myself). I went into what I thought would be the CD equivalent and emerged very confused. No dead dogs though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Yoshifan823 posted:

Counterpoint:

Please tell me you are not one of the mega-douches in this picture.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Decius posted:

He's the donut

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Decius posted:

If you start wearing suits to bakeries, and you're not planning on buying the place out, it's not called douchebaggery. You may actually suffer from a mental illness.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ravane posted:

If you start wearing suits to bakeries, and you're not planning on buying the place out, it's not called douchebaggery. You may actually suffer from a mental illness.
I buy $7,000 suits just to wear them to bakeries where I eat powdered donuts, sprinkle donuts, and frosted jelly donuts, to the horror of everyone around me.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Only goons could watch PoI and care more about the dog than Sarah Sahai.

Reason #1 to watch PoI:

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah gently caress that thread for having a friendly atmosphere.

Is it really "friendly" when someone monopolizes the conversation with something nobody cares about and everybody is too polite to tell him to shut up?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

Is it really "friendly" when someone monopolizes the conversation with something nobody cares about and everybody is too polite to tell him to shut up?

That is what friendliness means

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Derail the morbid poo poo with humour. Friendly style.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Only goons could watch PoI and care more about the dog than Sarah Sahai.

Reason #1 to watch PoI:
:woof:

Bear is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a clickhole about 6 US TV shows that started in the UK. They really nail the absurd naming conventions of British shows.
http://www.clickhole.com/article/6-american-television-shows-started-england-1559

• Locked thread