Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

VanSandman posted:

I don't understand why anyone would keep that die around when you can just use an electronic dice roller, there are plenty of good ones out there.

because rolling dice is fun + the extra adventure when one ends up under a cupboard/..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No random number generator is truly random! As opposed to chunks of molded plastic that get dropped onto a hard surface many times.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What you do is you get a little cup for your die and you slam it on the table every time you roll anything to add to the drama and maybe roll attack and damage simultaneously if you're feeling charitable. These cost like $3-$5.

The only time I've not used actual dice is when I'm not physically at the game. Otherwise, people who use rolling programs should be killed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The only time I've used them is playing Descent 2e, because that game ships with one loving set of dice for a 4 to 5 player game, gently caress that poo poo. And the extra dice sets aren't that cheap or easy to get, whereas dicent is free.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

The only time I've used them is playing Descent 2e, because that game ships with one loving set of dice for a 4 to 5 player game, gently caress that poo poo. And the extra dice sets aren't that cheap or easy to get, whereas dicent is free.

"Where's the blue one? Can someone pass me the blue one?"

<3 minutes pass>

"I missed".

...I just finished a whole Descent 2e campaign. It was kinda cool but god drat can it ever drag out. Overall, it was a fun experience with some great tense moments where victory was often snatched at the last moment (or snatched from us at the last moment), but a couple of sessions will forever stick in my mind as boring as hell. I spent 90% of this one 2-hour session getting up every round and then getting killed again. I don't think I've ever been that bored at a game table. It was because the players hosed up and got separated and locked down, but it felt exactly like that point in Monopoly where you know you've lost but the game isn't over yet (and none of the other players could apparently see it so they didn't want to concede).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 8, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Otherwise, people who use rolling programs should be killed.
You'll have to roll for that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The only time I've not used actual dice is when I'm not physically at the game. Otherwise, people who use rolling programs should be killed.
What if I create and program a robot whose only purpose is to roll physical dice? Which does that fall under?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

What if I create and program a robot whose only purpose is to roll physical dice? Which does that fall under?

That can live, because it amuses me. You must die.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

My first time playing Dungeon World

So a guy in the D&D campaign I'm running (the one where the elf ranger killed both a group of Bronies and the God Emperor of Mankind) had a player unable to show up for the first session of his new Dungeon World campaign. I'd heard a lot about the game from you goons, about how much it owns, and saw it was going for :tenbux: so I bought it and joined on short notice. I made a half-orc Barbarian with the backstory that she had come to the setting (Fantasy Venice) to rabble-rouse and generally be a pain in the rear end to noble humans. I hadn't given much thought to her backstory other than that. Shortly into the adventure we happen across an anarchist preaching on the street, and given my character's political leanings she joins him and smashes a nearby hotdog stand in the hopes of starting a riot... it doesn't really get the rabble roused up though, but does draw the notice a local noble's thugs. I'm ready to bash some heads, but another party memmber talks the mooks down on the condition we do some legwork for them.

So off we go to a seedy part of town where gladiatorial fights are held between exotic animals, which is run by a different noble family. I roll well and notice that the people watching the fights don't seem to be entertained--in fact they seem to be partcipating in a ritual. The DM says I realize that these are actually sacrifices to... and wants me to supply the god. I say "The great sky shark"... which I thought was self explanatory as far as 'fearsome deities' go, but everyone presses me for more and says I'm really not getting Dungeon World. :|

The thing about sacrifices to the Sky Shark, I say is that they tend to require the shark to fly down and eat them. And I don't particularly want to have to dodge a flying shark god attacking the city, so I try to stop the games and free the other animals, when a noble woman and her entourage storm impressively into the plaza, having noticed the party snooping around/me making a ruckus.

So the DM describes the character and then asks us to give her a name. Nobody says anything for a minute, until an idea hits me.

"MOM!?"

And now everyone's laughing, the DM included. He just rolls with it, having a blast with this character talking down to my huge intimidating Barbarian, who is having an existential crisis learning the human nobility she hates so much are, in fact, family. Also solidifying more of my backstory for this character.

:aaa: "But dad told me that you ran off and joined the circus! And then got eaten by the Sky Shark during a trapeze accident!"

:smug: "Your father always was a terrible liar."

:smug: "So what brings you to the city?"

:aaa: "I wanted to get drunk, get laid, and beat up assholes."

:smug: "The same reason I left home as a girl."

I kind of felt guilty honestly because there was a long stretch where I was the center of attention despite being an interloper in an established group, but everyone seemed to have a good time. The noble family that hired us originally learned about the Sky Shark being summoned and send a giant robot to assassinate my barbarian's Mom, which the party fought off by freeing a rhino to attack it. Fun times, but we haven't been able to continue the game yet.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That's meeeeeee, I was that GM! Sorry you felt awkward at that point but holy crap that "Mom" thing was incredible. I'll try and run another session this coming friday, but one of our players has computer problems so it's likely they can't play. We'll see.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Yeah, you're getting Dungeon World.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, that's a quintessential Dungeon World story in the best way.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
I don't know where to begin. And for all the laughs this has brought over the years I can't tell anymore if it is a bad or good experience.

To explain for about a decade I played with roughly the same group of people off and on, often we'd have anywhere from 2-9 player games depending on who showed up. We played pretty much everything but mostly stuck to DnD. People would GM until they got bored or wanted a change then we'd rotate around go on.

Normally in our games we played we didn't allow people to be evil, and we didn't allow player killing because it just fucks everything up and wastes tons of time.

There was a game where the players were 'allowed' to be evil for once, because they wanted to try playing the, brand new at the time, Diablo DnD supplement bone master/dancer or something. Anyway the GM gets his adventure going, the players start off at level 1. They come across the bodies of a murdered man and woman on the road to town. The DM describes the carnage of the situation: bodies stabbed and run through bloody tracks leading towards the graveyard etc. Bone Dancer guy starts messing with bodies to try to study them or raise them, I can't remember. The party watches this quietly, we all understand necromancers etc.

The barbarian player takes a minute to think, and then chops up the woman's body in half at the waist and then lops of her legs at the thighs (careful to tie up the legs and stomach to not bleed on things...) and just takes the bottom half of the torso/hips and stuffs it in his pack.

:confused: What the gently caress?!?!
:black101: If the bone guy can loot and mess with bodies and no one bats and eye, I can too. I have my reasons...maybe I'm just lonely.
:stare:

The party then goes into town and talks to the innkeeper trying to figure out what is going on. He mentions how his son and wife were due to show up in town and are overdue and that he's :ohdear: about them showing up.

At this point the barbarian pulls out the torso/hips and says:

:black101: I look at the innkeeper in the eye and ask if his daughter-in-law LOOKED LIKE THIS!!?!?! And he starts thrusting the torso/hips against his loincloth :jackbud:

:wth: :stonk: :stare:

:black101: I toss the torso at the innkeep and draw my battle axe!

Innkeeper screams for the guards and the whole party gets embroiled in a fight with the town guards etc. Game ends with half the town burned down, the innkeeper and the guards all dead, a firm resolution of no more evil PCs, and the DM kind of pissed off that we never even explored the crypt with the demons etc.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.

That was soaked in cat piss. While it made for a funny story, if I was the DM I would have kicked that guy out and called do over. Ya'll didn't get to do anything and the Diablo setting has a lot of interesting things that an evil party could do without turning into a FATAL parody.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
:wtc: who does that. My group kicked a dude out for poo poo like this, in fact we don't even talk to him anymore because nobody wants to hang out with the dude who gets off on torture.

Why do people tend to think "evil PC's" means "bestiality, necrophilia and random mass murder"? Do people, like, not read books or watch movies that aren't about serial killers?

If anyone is going to run an evil campaign, do it well. Sit down with the players beforehand, :siren: agree on limits :siren: (in that if any one player says x is off limits because they're uncomfortable with it then x is off limits, no discussion) and set actual, suitably diabolical goals that aren't just "let the worst parts of your id run rampant". I bring this up often as a counterpoint to the accepted wisdom of "never play evil campaigns", but one of my favorite games ever was a WHFRP thing about a group of criminals whose cons and crimes ended up with us sort of accidentally running a Chaos cult. Our characters did terrible things and were lovely, selfish dumbasses motivated by their various vices - but never just blind sadistic malevolence because that's somehow both creepy and boring.

also they didn't dryhump dismembered corpses because why would that even occur to anyone, jesus loving christ

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fat Ogre posted:

I don't know where to begin. And for all the laughs this has brought over the years I can't tell anymore if it is a bad or good experience.

To explain for about a decade I played with roughly the same group of people off and on, often we'd have anywhere from 2-9 player games depending on who showed up. We played pretty much everything but mostly stuck to DnD. People would GM until they got bored or wanted a change then we'd rotate around go on.

Normally in our games we played we didn't allow people to be evil, and we didn't allow player killing because it just fucks everything up and wastes tons of time.

There was a game where the players were 'allowed' to be evil for once, because they wanted to try playing the, brand new at the time, Diablo DnD supplement bone master/dancer or something. Anyway the GM gets his adventure going, the players start off at level 1. They come across the bodies of a murdered man and woman on the road to town. The DM describes the carnage of the situation: bodies stabbed and run through bloody tracks leading towards the graveyard etc. Bone Dancer guy starts messing with bodies to try to study them or raise them, I can't remember. The party watches this quietly, we all understand necromancers etc.

The barbarian player takes a minute to think, and then chops up the woman's body in half at the waist and then lops of her legs at the thighs (careful to tie up the legs and stomach to not bleed on things...) and just takes the bottom half of the torso/hips and stuffs it in his pack.

:confused: What the gently caress?!?!
:black101: If the bone guy can loot and mess with bodies and no one bats and eye, I can too. I have my reasons...maybe I'm just lonely.
:stare:

The party then goes into town and talks to the innkeeper trying to figure out what is going on. He mentions how his son and wife were due to show up in town and are overdue and that he's :ohdear: about them showing up.

At this point the barbarian pulls out the torso/hips and says:

:black101: I look at the innkeeper in the eye and ask if his daughter-in-law LOOKED LIKE THIS!!?!?! And he starts thrusting the torso/hips against his loincloth :jackbud:

:wth: :stonk: :stare:

:black101: I toss the torso at the innkeep and draw my battle axe!

Innkeeper screams for the guards and the whole party gets embroiled in a fight with the town guards etc. Game ends with half the town burned down, the innkeeper and the guards all dead, a firm resolution of no more evil PCs, and the DM kind of pissed off that we never even explored the crypt with the demons etc.

If the DM is cool with the campaign going wherever and being stupid as gently caress I guess that's an OK night, but it's basically Bad Group 101.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
The game was a lot of fun for everyone else playing. Mainly because the DM was so flustered. The entire group HATED being rail-roaded so it wasn't uncommon for them to gently caress up adventure hooks on purpose ALL the time, but the dry humping the corpse was what was just :stonk: about the whole thing.

The guy playing the barbarian said he was going with a whole Kurgen type vibe, where he didn't give a poo poo other than being absolutely loyal to the other PCs, which was always a house rule because player killing just wasted soooo much time.

I will say thank god that we never had any Rapey DMs or rapey games ever.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

The guy playing the barbarian said he was going with a whole Kurgen type vibe, where he didn't give a poo poo other than being absolutely loyal to the other PCs, which was always a house rule because player killing just wasted soooo much time.

A slow descent into pvp can make for some entertaining games - especially if everyone is more or less on board with the idea! I ran a quick campaign (I'm generally a terrible GM) that I was proud of where a dwarven cleric kept praying at altars to an unknown god (who was very chaotic evil) because he got pretty decent buffs - the player goes for power every time. Stuff like +2 strength, increased will saves, etc.

Stuff he really wanted.

Every time he did this his alignment shifted, sometimes more or less imperceptibly, sometimes dramatically. He went from a lawful good cleric to a chaotic evil monster that the party eventually had to kill (which they did, but barely). That's where the game ended.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
My game group in college had a game called "loving Die Already," which can be played in two forms:

The first form is a quick thought experiment, wherein you try to out-do the other folks in the conversation in finding creative or messy ways to die in a specified game. Such as "loving Die Already: Mage:" One player deliberately creates a paradox by using Forces to cancel the effects of friction, but the paradox transfers all of the lost friction to the character, so he spontaneously combusts when he raises an arm to high-five his mage-bro. You can also play this version of the game by creating situations that are hard to get killed in specific games, and challenge the players to "loving die already." It's fun when you're up at 3:00 AM (and/or high).

Then there is "Secret loving Die Already," wherein your group is playing a regular tabletop game with a player deemed so obnoxious that everyone silently agrees someone should start trying to kill the player's character, or better yet get them to kill themselves. It's a co-op game. If they succeed then everyone wins. They win because their character is loving dead, and everyone else wins because their character is loving dead.

I have found myself playing Secret loving Die Already twice.

The first was in a game of 3rd ed. D&D I was running back in college. We had a good group going, and I still play with these guys ten years later. One player met a freshman gamer that none of us knew and invited him to play in the game. He knew I was down with new players and made a judgment call to invite him. That turned out to be a mistake. To make a long story short, the new player turned out to be a douche who would answer and even place calls in the middle of the game (at the loving table), played Munchkin competitively in a D&D group that was clearly playing the game cooperatively, demanded to make a character centered around gimmicky mechanics, and designed his character to be a creepy goon reflection of himself. When he hinted at inviting one of his future frat brothers into the game without the group's go-ahead, Secret loving Die Already was on. I threw an undead horde encounter at the group knowing it was the kind of situation that would kill this guy. His mechanical gimmick was jumping because he loved dragoons from Final Fantasy. He jumped into the middle of a horde of undead, far from the reach of the group's Cleric. I went out of my way to describe his death in graphic detail when the horde literally torn him limb-from-limb. He spent five minutes yelling at the Cleric for not wading through that very same horde to heal him.

Another time I played Secret loving Die Already was in a game of 3.5 D&D, as a player this time. I was playing a rogue in a party with:

A neutral good rogue (me)
A lawful good paladin
A chaotic good bard
A neutral good spellsword
A lawful evil sorcerer

Anything stick out here? The GM and the paladin's player decided to use a more active and less passive version of the paladin's detect evil from the start, to make things a bit more interesting for NPC encounters. That let the evil sorcerer work in our group without the paladin automatically murdering the gently caress out of him on the spot. But the player wasn't clever and wasn't able to hide his character's evildoing very long. When the group finally threatened him, he complained out-of-character that it would ruin the game for him. The GM let us handle the conflict in-character, and while the group bickered about how, exactly, to punish him, my character shot and killed him with one crossbow sneak attack. The player bitched to no end, but the GM just said, "the conflict was all in-character. You made an evil character in a group full of good guys. I didn't do anything here." The player retaliated by making a chaotic neutral chaos mage using some goofy-rear end 3rd-party supplement that was as mechanically broken as his character was goofy. The character's endless, unfunny antics ground the plot to a halt, even before she started doing evil poo poo. When I killed that character a couple sessions later, the player got mad at me for PKing, but everyone else was cool with it. I've literally never PK'd another player in a game I wasn't running, but I killed his rear end twice in the same game. I just happened to be playing a character that was in the best role to do it.

I love PVP in the right games and with the right understanding amongst the group, but the above examples are not that.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Years back, my group ran a very short-lived experimental game under some modified D&D rules. The setup was that each PC was an evil spirit that had the power to possess people or influence their minds, and we were supposed to... Prepare a town for the coming of our Dark Lord, or something.

We... don't talk about that campaign. :ohdear:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
On the topic of PVP, I GM'd a game epic in scope and scale, and the players were near the climactic finale and very high level and well equipped. They're a diverse group-- stabby rogue, steam-sniper, archer, two mages and one huge stone golem with a huge fuckoff hammer. Everything everyone is wearing is enchanted, runed, there's some ancient artifacts in there, the works.

On their quest to find a weapon capable of hurting the Big Bad, they find a structure buried deep underground and sealed with magic that is ancient-- as in, billions of years old, formed when the planet was still molten rock. And the golem can read the runes on the door, despite not having the intelligence to actually read in the first place. Upon touching the door, the runes light up, and he has a vision-- I hand him an index card ("You have a vision of paradise, the doors opening ahead of you, but you are held back by five chains- however, your hammer is feather light...") and ask him "Do you resist the vision, or run with it?"

:black101: I'm going to break those chains!
:rolldice: Very well! [Golem] turns back to the party as crimson power flows around him, his hammer turning obsidian black and his eyes flaming red- focused squarely on [Mage1]!
:black101: ...oh.

The party immediately panics (you may notice that roster doesn't have anyone particularly able to take a giant hammer to the face) and begin calling for him to try to snap out of it.

:black101: Nope! Nirvana's waiting for me!

I had a card ready for him with a set of really cheaty feats he could activate so he would have a chance to actually cause some damage ("Take another turn immediately at any time, including interrupting another player's turn", etc), but since he misread a few of them (and especially 'you can only use each once') the team was able to take him down with only major injuries, rather than deaths.

---

Later on in that campaign the rogue ended up stabbing the god of time in the face, causing a rift in time, duplicating the universe and obliterating (one version of) the world

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I got caught DMing for Ten Years straight of 3.5 DnD with an average of 8 players. I've got good, bad, and a barrel of cat piss.

Now 3.5 is a broken and weird system, and I know that, but my friends would beg and plead every time a campaign ended for us to get back together and start a new one, and inevitably everyone would fail to agree on a new system, and other people's new campaigns would die out, and I'd be back in the DM chair.

Now while some of our games were boring and short lived, we averaged a year or two of weekly sessions before they'd peter out or end. We had a few standouts that were extremely rad though. General rules we followed: Limited PvP, no ~wacky~ CN or CE characters, and clear it with the group(namely, the DM, this guy) before bringing supplements to the table. The three campaigns that really stick out for us were The First Time I DMed, The tale of Tourmalign, and The Evil Campaign.

Now usually we had rules against evil characters. One of our players, Lily, always played a evil character. She always wanted to be a Drow Monk, and she was constantly trying to get the party killed. Eventually it became standard fare when she joined a game that someone would kill off her character as soon as she decided to backstab the party. She was the only source of PvP and every single game she got the same warnings about how trying to murder everyone would lead to her character's death. She was the step-daughter of one of our regular players and the girlfriend of another, so not really someone we could just stop inviting. In retrospect, her constant antagonizing was probably what lead to everyone asking for an Evil Game. When we finally dropped a meandering, disappointing game about the party's Wizard/Forge-Deity friend accidentally splitting into a hundred people, I agreed to run an evil game. The rules I laid out in this one were pretty simple: Don't make it weird, Don't be Rapey, and No Cancer-Mage crap from the BoVD. One person asked right away if being a hedonist counted as "too rapey". :smith:

Additionally, I told the players to all either pick a Major Bloodline or Flaws to exchange for bonus feats. There would be no PvP, in my only Railroad lined up for them. I anticipated a high powered murderfest to get the "bad guys are so cool!" out of their systems in a few weeks. Turns out, they were all down for a two and half year long RP extravaganza of world conquest.

Shockingly it ended up being one of the best games we ever played. The aforementioned guy wanted to play a "Ecstasy and Raves" type cult leader, and he was worried that was crossing the line.

The opening of the game was a beautiful, light-filled world of wholesome goodness. The last three Gods of Evil, fueled by the meager hatreds and scraps of darkness left in the world, pulled together the blackest hearts of the mortal realm in a desperate bid to destroy the White City of Ci'quend Shorz; font of goodness and unassailable bastion of the righteous. The cast found themselves in a dark wood with the Goddess of Death, The God of Strife, and the Lord of Tyrants, and were told to sign "The Shadowsealed Contract" to bind them together in service to evil. With the promise of immeasurable wealth, unimaginable power, and a chance to actually do something more fun then being a paragon of shiny goodness, the players all signed themselves away to The Three Shadows. It also helped that the Goddess of Death said she would just eat anyone who said no for the meager sustenance their souls would provide her. The Contract was just Asimov's Laws of Robotics with "Robots" scrubbed out and replaced with evil, with a footnote about the goal of the campaign at the bottom:

A Shadowsworn may not injure another Shadowsworn or, through inaction, allow another Shadowsworn to come to harm.
A Shadowsworn must comply with missions assigned by the The Three Shadows, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A Shadowsworn must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
A Shadowsworn must always work towards the destruction of the White City and the forces of Good.

The Party at this point consisted of 14 loving players. Everyone we had had a game with at some point if the previous five years wanted to get in on the ground floor of this game apparently. A few people dropped out due to life/school/the usual, but we had a core group of 6 players and myself for the entire game. The main players were:

Virgil: The Devil Bloodline C-E Sorcerer. Frost themed spells, gently caress You Dad Alignment, and all about Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll.
HappyGo: My girlfriend's Storm Giant Bloodline Bard. She was a Purple skinned Pirate. She had a name, but we just called her The Purple Pirate Lady.
Asilack: Happy's brother. He was the only player not to go with a Bloodline, instead opting for a crippled, aging, Flaw-filled Human Necromancer stuffed full of bonus feats. He would become the driving force for most of the game.
Ian: Black Dragon Bloodline Halfling Rogue. Ian normally showed up to read a book or pretend he was too cool to play DnD, but this entire game he was Captain RP, playing a "Conscientious Objector" and serving as the group's Spymaster.
Clem: Red Dragon Bloodline Human Fighter. He eventually leveled into Blackguard. Didn't really do anything on his own except get pointed at problems and destroy them with his sword. The first person to attempt to break The Contract.
Lola: Virgil's wife, played a Fey Bloodline Rogue. She was themed after a kitsune(but not named Kitsune) and used a shortbow(just like her character every game). RPed being supremely greedy. Didn't have much agency besides "stealing".
Poppy: Clem's sister. Played a Ninja-themed Rogue with a Red Dragon Bloodline, actually named Kitsune. Specced into Assassin.Also didn't do much but wait to murder people. Became a Master Chef. Would sometimes just go kill minions for fun once they had minions.
Juan: Poppy's boyfriend. Demon Bloodline Barbarian hit things with axe. Never RP'd till the last night of the game.
Lily: Lola's daughter. Played... a Drow Monk. She couldn't curb her attempts at PKing even after watching Clem try to break The Contract. Ended up rerolling as a Drow Cleric. Managed to avoid the urge to PK for a whole year after that.
Jose: Played a Ranger, I forget the bloodline. Was a Murdermachine with a stable of pets he rotated out. Ditched that character and rolled a social outcast Half-Ogre Barb.
Oya: Played a few characters, starting off as a healing specced Cleric and moving on to a Wizard later. He was working overtime most nights to save up for Medic school, so he sadly wasn't around often. He has no memory of this game, due to spending all his time at it asleep.
And my DMPC: A "Blue" Goblin psychic. Focused on the psionic creation/summoning stuff. Inflicted with terrible madness and rarely spoke, was mainly just a magic 8-ball the party could shake and get plot stuff out of. Or have him conjure a boat when they needed to cross a river.

Highlights of the game include Why the Skeleton lost his Scythe, Cocaine Chicken Nuggets, Freebasing an Angel, Port Cities Made Easy, Just Slap More Leather Pants on It, The Fortress Molly, gently caress You Druids, Destroying The Fiat Currency of Justice, That Wasn't What the Cows were For, and What's in the Box

I know the general rule for the thread is JUST POST but I only got time for one dumb story tonight. Which should it be?

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 23, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I really just lurk this thread but if my vote counts, chronologically. I'd kinda like to see this party develop.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Chard posted:

I really just lurk this thread but if my vote counts, chronologically. I'd kinda like to see this party develop.

This, a thousand times this

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I agree, chronologically.

(:justpost:)

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

MohawkSatan posted:

This, a thousand times this

Jumping on the in order bandwagon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chard posted:

Yeah, definitely this. Please, give us all of the stories in an order that makes the most sense

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Agreed with the above.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I suppose the very first story would be the beginning of Just Slap More Leather Pants on It.. Immediately after signing The Contract, our intrepid Anti-HeroesVillains are sent off to ransack a nearby town for supplies. Or Set up a base of operations. They weren't really clear the goal, because they annoyed the Lord of Tyrants and he ended the communion with The Three Shadows before they could find out what exactly they were supposed to do in this village. On the way they came across a small river. They ask the Pirate to sail them across, until she helpfully points out that she was teleported off of her ship to a forest in the middle of the night and that even if she had it a Galleon wouldn't exactly help fording a teensy river. The party argues a bit until Clem's Fighter demands the Goblin just Think them up a Raft with his brain powers. The goblin agrees, but snaps back that the humans don't own him and to ask nicely.

Clem's fighter dramatically announces that no one speaks back to him like that, and he slashes at the annoying little goblin with his greatsword, dealing enough in a swing to take him down to negatives. Thus breaking the contract.

He is promptly smote by a bolt of black lighting, dropping him to -9.

Clem is incredulous, asking why he got exploded. I remind him about the rules of The Contract. He smacks his head, having not actually payed any attention to the "No PvP" setup for the game. Everyone sorta takes a second to figure out what their character's reactions to this would be, when I helpfully remind them again that they can not, through inaction, allow another Shadowsworn to come to harm. And they have two bleeding (and one smoldering) allies about to die of their injuries.

Poppy asks what, exactly, would happen if they just let both of them bleed out, I informed her that as the thought crossed her Assassin's normally un-empathetic mind, she could hear the rumble of thunder. As everyone began panicking about what to do, I began going around the table. Most flubbed an untrained heal check on the goblin.

When I got to Ian, he asked if a 4 on a Heal check was any help, and when I shook my head, said "I poo poo my pants in terror and begin weeping". Staying true to his ridiculous coward of a character. Laughs were had, Oya's turn came around, he magic'd the Fighter and Goblin back up, and they set up camp for the night to heal up before heading to a possible town-sacking. As we went through initial RP introductions between characters and I asked people what kind of routines their characters would do during downtime, when I came back to Ian, he just said "Absolutely the first thing I do: I put on another pair of pants."

Asilack chimed in with "Before you take the other ones off?" :gonk:

Ian: "Nothing an extra layer of hot, sweaty leather pants can't hide." Then mimed wiggling into a set of pants with a squelching noise. :barf:

This would become a thing for the rest of the game. If anything sufficiently surprising or threatening happened to Ian's Rogue, he would squeeze on an extra set of Leather Pants. The final count was 36.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 23, 2018

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
I want to hear more about this evil campaign, Cuchulain.

My own contribution is not that great, but it was hilarious at the time.

My buddy Rob is playing in a 3rd edition D&D campaign. He's a Ranger, and an Elf, so he's also a bad rear end archer. I don't remember what we were fighting, but one of the other guys tried to shoot an arrow at something and rolled a 1.

Rob laughs, and says, "This is how you shoot an arrow!"

He rolled a 1.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

KJDavid posted:

I want to hear more about this evil campaign, Cuchulain.

My own contribution is not that great, but it was hilarious at the time.

My buddy Rob is playing in a 3rd edition D&D campaign. He's a Ranger, and an Elf, so he's also a bad rear end archer. I don't remember what we were fighting, but one of the other guys tried to shoot an arrow at something and rolled a 1.

Rob laughs, and says, "This is how you shoot an arrow!"

He rolled a 1.

I think that's why called shots and such have fallen out of favour, the RNG gods just love making GBS threads on arrogance.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
"Choralisation Implies Causation."

Thank you Gnome Bard.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So, our 13th Age game is coming to its conclusion. It started in May of 2013, and in our second adventure, we met Augustus Al'Shakur, a regional rep of the Archmage. He gave us a few quests but we didn't hear much from him after that.

This week, after fighting our way into the Dead City of the Lich King, we went to a throne room...

and discovered it full of our archenemy, Caesar's drones.

Turns out Augustus was Caesar. (Hell of a reveal, since the only thing that connected them was their color scheme, a like of magic and their roman names).

He revealed his plans: he had sent us on our early quests to gain relics, but our later actions had led him to change paths and ally with the lich king.

At which point, our chaos barbarian laughed. "HA! Get hosed, Nerd."

We ended the session there. Nothing could come after.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 4, 2015

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
I have thought about posting past gaming stories in here, but I believe I need to share from the game played today because of the luck or lack there of.

First some setting we're playing Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition in the DC universe. Have 4 players and we were just starting out as a team working out of Bludhaven. Had been working for a few weeks and got the attention of Batman for accidentally killing The Penguin, and because of all the damage we have done to the city.

Players are a Technomancer named Techno, a Kalanorain Rebel named Myndfire, a Human getting magic from demons named Sapphire Sage, and myself playing a Half-Angel named Photon.

Techno's player couldn't make it today so we played without him. The session started out pretty ok nothing really bad happened for about 3 in-game days. Then we got knocks on our doors had Robin, Speedy, and Aqualad take us on a mission. The mission as they told us was a drug bust on Bane's group, and if we saw Bane we were to call in the big players to take care of it. So we searched around Gotham and Sage found out the spot they were doing the deal at and when it was going down. He got this information by getting 2 doses of Venom into himself and getting really beefy. So we are waiting around for the time of the deal and Sage goes in to see what he can do from the inside. He gets called out for being a Hero and things look pretty bad as he is cut off from the party, but with some earth magic and slamming people into walls with it he is able to get out were we can support him.

So we roll initiative and this is when things started to go down quick with most of our party going in between Robin, Speedy, Aqualad, and the group of Venom heads and me rolling a Nat 1. Robin and Speedy both try ranged attack, Robin with an explosive disk and Speedy with a net arrow. They did nothing to stop them and only made them angry. Aqualad tried to throw a ball of lightning and Nat 1 hit Sage, but he made the save so nothing to bad so far. Sage is up goes and opens a pit across the area to cut off half of the Venom heads so they had to go around the block to get to us. Then the Venom heads are up 3 of them run and start climbing the building we are on, just ripping out chunks of the wall to do so the others can't get at Sage with how high he was flying. Myndfire is up mental grapples one of the 3 climbing the building and the other 2 start moving around him. I go look and plan on hitting both of them with a teleport attack off the side of the building and send them crashing to the ground from about 100 feet up.

So I roll to hit and roll a Nat 1 and things went really bad.

I did teleport the people I wanted to, but I also teleport all 6 of the Venom heads onto the rooftop we are on and made 2 of them into brick golem things. See as nobody saw this coming they got a free surprise round and everybody on the roof more or less ended up being grappled. Robin had 1 guy on him, Speedy had the 2 he hit with the net, Aqualad had one of the now brick things pushing him into the ground, and Mindfire had the other brick guy picking him up. I was lucky enough to not get grappled because that one guy was just gone from his head with the mental grapple. Now Robin, Speedy, and Aqualad try but can't break the grapples. So Sage goes now because the brick guys now count as earth he tries to pull the one holding Aqualad down in half to allow him to move and help. He pull the brick guy in half but the half pinning Aqualad stays standing holding him down. Now the Venom heads go. Starts with jumping into the air with Robin to slam him into the ground, Running off with Speedy to do something, and crushing Myndfire. Myndfire goes and AoEs the area with mental static knocking out 3 of the guys and not effecting the brick dudes, then Hero Points to mental grapple the last guy that was still running with Speedy. We now have Robin falling being held by and knocked-out guy. Now I teleport both of them onto the ground next to me on the roof and try to pry the hand open to release Robin. So I roll Strength and low and behold a Nat 1.

The DM at this point is just wondering how I have done this, because with the Nat 1 I tickle with knocked-out Venom head when trying to pry open his hand and get uppercut right off the roof. I did get a chance to dodge and then a save against the damage of the fall. I don't make either of them failing with a 6 dodge roll and a 10 on the damage roll. Now DM rolls to see how bad I end up being injured with how much I failed by. Ended up with my spine being broken and was going to take 3 days to heal even with my healing powers. Because I was just getting shafted so hard by luck DM gave me a chance die to see if I get help, rolls a Nat 20 so he has to do something pretty big. This is when we figure out I am a Half-Angel when large arm sized feathers float down and land on me healing my spine. Sage both in and out of character was like "drat, You must be cursed." before helping out Aqualad by removing the other half of the brick dude, then freed Robin who now had an indent on his neck from the guy holding him so tight. The last guy able to move starts to run with Myndfire still in his hand. So Myndfire mind controls the guy he had grappled and has him chase after to try and free him from the hold. The mid-air tackle misses and brick fella uses Myndfire as a club and hits a man with another man, or he would have just hit if the DM didn't Nat 1. The brick guy swings with so much force Myndfire flies out of his hands hit the other guy so hard he flies into the wall behind him, and breaks the mind controlled guy's neck then runs away.

So with combat over we finish untangling Speedy. Now none of these people want me to help with anything at all for fear of something bad happening. So as Robin, Speedy, and Aqualad recover Myndfire and Sage check the area for the other guys that were around. They find them in a Gym building and doing a mental scan sees they are juicing up out of 2 toxic waste sized barrels of Venom giving them roughly the same size as Bane, and there were 8 of them. Sage goes seals them in with as much earth as he can then lights a fire under it to try and delay them so we can get away and the bigger people can come help out. So they get back pick up the injured call Gordan for help and start to fly away back to the transport we came in. As they are flying back Captain Marvel shows up and takes care of the problem.

When everybody gets back and goes home it is about 3 days before anything happens. Again there was knocks at our door and again there was Robin, Speedy, and Aqualad only this time they traq'd us and took us to The Watchtower. When we awoke Martian Manhunter was there and lead us through the place to the control room. On the way we passed by the mess hall that had so many Heroes there, and we also had Booster Gold try and sell stuff to us. In the control room is Batman and he just really starts to lay down the whole Hero Law type speech on us. Then they both take us to a training room to test and see what we can do. Tell us to subdue and try not to injure unless we have to. Sage does a bind, Myndfire does mental grapple, and I try to shoot a beam at the targets. Now I don't really have high damage was doing more of the support roll then anything else so I don't have a good range attack bonus, but this didn't matter because another Nat 1. My beam went at Batman and Manhunter bounced off the glass then bounced 4 more times to hit me in my eyes. I got a save against it and rolled 15 total, didn't blind myself but it hurt really bad. The training room shut down as Manhunter and Batman came in just wondering how this could be.

We each got a Hero to help us out with our powers and stuff. Sage got Wildcat because Zatanna wasn't on The Watchtower at the moment, so he learn how to protect himself without magic. Myndfire got Manhunter to help with his mental powers. I got not 1 but 3 people to make sure I didn't mess up; had Green Arrow, Raven, and Manhunter. We did some rolls for the training we to see how we did. Sage rolled 16, 17, 14, 14 and had no real problems. Myndfire rolled 14, 13, 17, 15 and didn't have anything bad happen. I rolled 17, 15, 1, 1 and if it wasn't Manhunter on the second 1 I would have hit my teacher. So after a week of in game training we get put into the training room one at a time starting with me. Same type of thing with 3 targets to hit so I take aim giving me a +4 then I rolled to hit and roll a 2 for a 6 total. Everybody is proud that I didn't shoot myself and they tell me to try again and if I didn't hit this time they'd start attacking me. So I take aim for that +4 then I rolled....a Nat 1 and caught my shirt on fire. I get told to leave the room after I put the fire out and just sit in a corner, because I had just made Green Arrow, Raven, and Martian Manhunter sad. Raven had to go meditate to get her emotions straight. Manhunter goes and doesn't understand how such a thing can happen. Green Arrow has his head in his hands sitting down. Sage and Myndfire pass no problems. A simple punch and lifting the target off the ground and they passed.

Now after this Batman comes up ends up taking me for a week of training without any powers just normal fighting. So I get to roll for the training see how it went, 1, 1, 1, 1. When me and Batman come back he just can't understand how I can even be this bad. Batman has trained kids to be master fighters and it didn't help me at all. So now I get passed around to every member of the Justice League in the time of 3 months. Every single person just was sad after they trained me they all cried even Starfire and Beast Boy felt bad for me. After all of this the DM house rules and gives me a skill that makes all my roll have a +1 that counts on my natural roll so I can no long roll a normal Nat 1, but if I roll a Nat 21 with this then a Nat 1 super bad things happen. This is all so such things as me making person be offended by my rolls and the really bad luck I have not happen as often.

The worst thing about this is that I had in this one session rolled more Nat 1's then anybody else had in the past 4 games they've played.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
e:multi-tab browsing

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 15, 2014

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Garbonix posted:

I have thought about posting past gaming stories in here, but I believe I need to share from the game played today because of the luck or lack there of.
The worst thing about this is that I had in this one session rolled more Nat 1's then anybody else had in the past 4 games they've played.
It's a shame they took away your superpower of causing incredibly bad luck to happen. It's just a matter where the superheros (and superheroines) should've have been able to recognize what it was, and find a way of teaching your character not to use it on themselves. Who wouldn't want to be the superhero who can find a way of giving his/her Natural 1s to enemies?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cuchulain posted:

Freebasing an Angel

post this one so I can make it into an epic rock ballad

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Garbonix posted:

So I get to roll for the training see how it went, 1, 1, 1, 1.
Are you sure someone didn't switch your die out with a joke die that favors rolling 1s?

Also assuming that die is normal, the 'crit fail on a natural 21' roll does not actually change the odds of rolling a critical failure.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The conversation a while back about PvP in a game with evil characters reminds me if this story about an original AD&D game I was in:

We were playing through the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign and we would routinely head back to Hommlet to fetch more torch bearers and camp lackeys as they died to fireballs and other area-of-effect traps (we traveled with a dungeon cart and a huge entourage- I think we had something like 6 players and an additional 20 NPCs floating around).

So a friend of mine wanted to join up with the group so the DM introduced him during our next visit back to Hommlet. The thing was, he's created a half-elf assassin, but he was hired as torch-bearer #6. At that point we were pretty far along and of pretty high level, but our DM was kind of a dick here and introduced my friend at level 1.

So we get our lackeys and then head back into the Temple and dive straight into the section where we were in those para-elemental planes where you take damage if unprotected. The first night in, we throw up a Daern's Instant Fortress to camp and the DM, about to spring a wandering elemental encounter on us, says we feel a weird presence so the paladin does a detect evil and in addition to the elementals outside he detects the assassin.

"Who are you?" says the Paladin.

"I'm an assassin," says the elf assassin smugly and all badass-like.

"gently caress that," says the rest of the party. "Outside with you."

"Nonono! I'm a torch bearer! I'm a torch bearer!"

"Get hosed."

We toss the elf outside and bar the door against the incoming elementals. The next morning as we are about to move out, we collapse the Fortress and find the pounded remains of the elf. My friend literally got to make zero rolls before getting killed. He had a good sense of humor about it and re rolled a more appropriate character of a more appropriate level.

But "I'm a torch bearer! I'm a torch bearer!" entered into our lexicon as a character who is about to get right hosed through no action of his own. We still laugh about how fast that character came and went.

(His next character was a Druid who was introduced as a prisoner whom we rescued a short time later. He was quite successful so it all ended well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Are you sure someone didn't switch your die out with a joke die that favors rolling 1s?

Also assuming that die is normal, the 'crit fail on a natural 21' roll does not actually change the odds of rolling a critical failure.

I switched die out 2 times because I kept rolling 1s. And these were out of the big bag of die we have. So if somebody switched them out they did a good job at being sneaky.