Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

prometheusbound2 posted:

I played and loved Fallen London for several months. Now I think I've exhausted all my options and I'm rather bored with it. I've picked up the Sunless Sea beta. But are there any games that are similar to Fallen London, both in terms of thrusting the player into a new world they have to settle into and having unique writing and an interesting setting?

I am indifferent to genre/platform.

Planescape: Torment, easily. The world is like nothing else I've seen in any other RPG, it's so weird and different that it had me hooked once I started playing it. Its story is also considered one of the best in gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I played and loved Fallen London for several months. Now I think I've exhausted all my options and I'm rather bored with it. I've picked up the Sunless Sea beta. But are there any games that are similar to Fallen London, both in terms of thrusting the player into a new world they have to settle into and having unique writing and an interesting setting?

If you can get over the fact that its pretty old, this is the classic "decisions game": http://www.gog.com/game/king_of_dragon_pass

Another game along those lines: http://store.steampowered.com/app/249360/ although at this point zombie survival no longer counts as an interesting setting. :v:

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Is there a really good sniping simulator, or is the Sniper Elite series my only option?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

prometheusbound2 posted:

If you're looking for games with unique writing and settings:

• TES III: Morrowind: frequently recommended, yes, but few games throw you into such a unique and alien setting like it, and for those willing to dig beneath the surface, has an enormous amount of quality lore to read. Sadly, many of the quest-makers and the lead writer of the game were let go for Oblivion and Skyrim, so you just don't get the same thing from Bethesda these days.
  • STALKER series: less writing, but the Zone around Chernobyl is a pretty unique and hauntingly beautiful setting.
  • Dishonored and its DLC: Beneath the quality stealthy assassin gameplay is a well-written story and world, which is explored further in the DLCs. Also Victorian era! (well, "cyberpunk" Victorian era)
  • Shadowrun Returns/Shadowrun Dragonfall: Quality revival of the Shadowrun cyberpunk setting. The Dragonfall standalone has the better written campaign of the two.
  • Vampire: The Masquerade--Bloodlines: High quality mission design on par with Deus Ex for freedom of choice, and good writing. Definitely lets you "settle in" to the world.
  • The Void: Follows the story of a lingering soul on the verge of death and the sacrifices it makes to bring life. Beautifully made and written by the Russian studio Ice Pick Lodge. It's more fun to watch than play, though--the gameplay is brutally difficult. I recommend the LP on lparchive.org If you like it, check out
  • Pathologic: A Russian steppe town in pre-revolutionary times must deal with an outbreak of plague. Play as one of 3 visitors, each with their own story intersecting with the other two. Also by Ice Pick Lodge. Poorly translated, but had a successful Kickstarter for a better-translated remake.
  • The Witcher series: follows Geralt the monster-slaying man whore through his adventures. I recommend this mostly because your choices actually affect the outcome of the story, even though the setting isn't totally unique. Medieval low-fantasy, and generally well-written, but can often come off as unnecessarily crude (Witcher 1, for example, has collectible cards for every woman you have sex with)

And I'll happily second Planescape and King of Dragon Pass as well. Both quality writing and good worlds.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Void isn't that hard any more, they patched it to make resource management easier after getting a lot of complaints at release. Just keep in mind that maintaining a balance of each color is the primary challenge of the game and not an afterthought and you'll be fine.

It's also really good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vrikkian posted:

Is there a really good sniping simulator, or is the Sniper Elite series my only option?

Okay so this may sound weird but here's my favorite sniping game of all time: The Hunter. Its really beautiful and has a huge open world and has practically simulation level sniper handling and stuff... there's just one little detail you have to get over. Rather than shooting people, you shoot animals. No seriously, hear me out, this is the best sniping game ever made.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253710/

https://www.thehunter.com

Its entirely free to play so you can check it out, although they definitely try to nickle and dime you which can be a huge turn-off. It runs in the Crysis engine so its actually fairly beautiful. Playing the game properly with all the features you want essentially requires you to pay a monthly fee. You can also buy things piecemeal but it mostly isn't worth it. Again though, you can test it out free. (But you can only hunt one kind of deer and only use one gun)

But I've never played a game that actually felt like proper sniping until I played The Hunter. You actually have to trek across a grass field, sneak up on your prey, aim your sight, account for distance, wind, and then take the shot. And if you miss that shot, you know that the report is going to spook all the prey you're hunting, sending them running faster than you can keep up, so its going to be another 10 minutes until you can take another shot. This shot has to count. It puts a tremendous amount of pressure on you, which is pretty exciting and makes it feel like proper sniping. You can't gently caress this up. You get one bullet. (maybe a couple) This is the shot. TAKE THE SHOT.

BLAM. It sounds and feels so rewarding, when you take that shot, and it actually connects. Based on your bullet placement, the animal may go down right away or you may just injure it, and then you have to track its blood as it tries to get away. When you finally find the grounded animal, you get a really detailed report of where you shot it, how many times you hit it, how deep and where the bullets penetrated, etc. And you get to take a nice hunting trophy picture for posterity. :cheeky:

I know it probably sounds crazy, and maybe its not your thing, but I have yet to play a game which even approaches that level of sniping. The levels are properly HUGE so that you can really do proper sniping, setting up at the top of some hill and then going prone and waiting for your target to come to you, into the killing field, etc. Its really great.

If you want a sniping simulator, that's your best bet.

Sniper Elite is fun, (that bullet-cam!) but especially in Sniper Elite 2 and 3 you're restricted to such small areas, its not really fair to call it sniping. Its more like target shooting. It frustrated me ultimately. (Although hitting Hitler in the nuts is pretty sastisfying)

Sniper: Ghost Warrior is really really awful, stay away from it.

Farcry 3 and 4 both have pretty huge open worlds that allow you to kinda do real sniping, but I wouldn't call it a simulation. You can hunt animals (although it isn't anything NEAR The Hunter) and you can capture outposts or just shoot badguys who are driving along the road, and you can get some satisfying sniper rifles with good range, but its very arcadey and not simluation.

After The Hunter if you really want a sniping SIM then you're looking at one of the SWAT or Rainbow Six games, pretty much.

STALKER is kinda like Farcry in that you have a big open world and can kinda do some sniping, but its kinda arcadey and not really the focus of the game.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 8, 2014

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Yeah, I've never really been a huge hunting game fan... or one at all. However, based on your recommendation I'll at least give it a whirl (it's free anyway). Is the game moddable? I would hope there would be some serious The Hunter mods.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vrikkian posted:

Yeah, I've never really been a huge hunting game fan... or one at all. However, based on your recommendation I'll at least give it a whirl (it's free anyway). Is the game moddable? I would hope there would be some serious The Hunter mods.

I don't think so, because again the game is set up like an MMO, everything's sever-side and locked down, so they can squeeze you for monthly fees. If there was any client, you could hack it and run offline and never pay a cent. Since its all server-side there's no real way to mod it.

The upside is they do keep adding things to the game kinda like an MMO, like now you can co-op which you couldn't for a long time, and there's lots more guns and zones and prey to hunt.

I'm honestly not really into hunting either but I had a ton of fun with it. The running and shooting just all feels more real than any FPS i've ever played, except maybe ARMA. But the subscription thing eventually turned me off. You can buy guns and have them forever, but you still have to pay for ammo and game licences, so there's no way to just buy like a boxed version and own the game. I don't feel like sniping all the time, so I don't feel like I play enough to justify a monthly fee, but I'd love to just plop $60 down and play it here and there over time. I think they've got the wrong business model, but they probably attract a niche audience of hunters. (Although wouldn't those people rather go outside than play videogames?) They do have a good number of active online tournaments and stuff at least.

I guess ARMA (And ARMA II and ARMA III) would also work as a hardcore sniper sim, but ARMA is also insanely hardcore so I couldn't ever get into it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Void isn't that hard any more, they patched it to make resource management easier after getting a lot of complaints at release. Just keep in mind that maintaining a balance of each color is the primary challenge of the game and not an afterthought and you'll be fine.

It's also really good.

This isn't exactly correct - the base game is as hard as it ever was, but they released optional patches you can download from their website to make it easier (there's an "easy" and "medium" difficulty patch, with the base game being considered "hard"). If you just play the game right off Steam or wherever, you're still playing the hard version.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is there anything similar to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Marvel Ultimate Alliance (I'm seeing a pattern here with the alliance thing) or X-Men Legends for the pc? I remember having a blast with those and a few friends on my ps2, but I can't recall anything similar off the top of my head.

Failing that, any good beat em' ups for the pc?

/edit: Also twin-stick shooters would be nice. Something like Neo Contra; I already have Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and I'll probably grab the new one in the near future, but I tried WH40K Kill Team recently and it was kinda meh, so I'm looking for a new one in the meantime.

Cheers.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 8, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Renegade Ops (from the same folks that brought you Just Cause 2) might scratch the itch for a twin-stick shooter. You control vehicles with guns, and it can be played as a twin-stick shooter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is there anything similar to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Marvel Ultimate Alliance (I'm seeing a pattern here with the alliance thing) or X-Men Legends for the pc? I remember having a blast with those and a few friends on my ps2, but I can't recall anything similar off the top of my head.

Failing that, any good beat em' ups for the pc?

/edit: Also twin-stick shooters would be nice. Something like Neo Contra; I already have Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and I'll probably grab the new one in the near future, but I tried WH40K Kill Team recently and it was kinda meh, so I'm looking for a new one in the meantime.

Cheers.

Does Diablo count? Marvel Heroes? (Same thing) I assume you would have thought of that already, so you're looking for more of a controller beat em up than a clicky mouse ARPG?

Dead Island Epidemic? There's a ton of similar twin-stick style action zombie games on steam, some are okay, some are bad.

Geometry Wars? Halo: Spartan Assault?

OH WAIT! Ultratron! Buy Ultratron! Best twin-stick PC game i've played.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/219190/
Puppy games rule.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Bouchacha posted:

Renegade Ops (from the same folks that brought you Just Cause 2) might scratch the itch for a twin-stick shooter. You control vehicles with guns, and it can be played as a twin-stick shooter.

Huh, completely forgot about Renegade Ops. I think I actually grabbed it on PSN+ for my ps3 and never played, I should check it. :v:

Zaphod42 posted:

Does Diablo count? Marvel Heroes? (Same thing) I assume you would have thought of that already, so you're looking for more of a controller beat em up than a clicky mouse ARPG?

Dead Island Epidemic? There's a ton of similar twin-stick style action zombie games on steam, some are okay, some are bad.

Geometry Wars? Halo: Spartan Assault?

OH WAIT! Ultratron! Buy Ultratron! Best twin-stick PC game i've played.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/219190/
Puppy games rule.

Yeah, I already have Diablo 3 and both Torchlights so I'm looking for something more... arcadey?
I have Geometry Wars 1, played 3 at a friend's and it wasn't as fun as 1. If they only would port Stardust HD to the pc, I would be so happy. :allears:
Dead Island looks a bit ehhhh, same with Spartan Assault.

Ultratron, however, looks loving awesome. I'll check that one out!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think so, because again the game is set up like an MMO, everything's sever-side and locked down, so they can squeeze you for monthly fees. If there was any client, you could hack it and run offline and never pay a cent. Since its all server-side there's no real way to mod it.

The upside is they do keep adding things to the game kinda like an MMO, like now you can co-op which you couldn't for a long time, and there's lots more guns and zones and prey to hunt.

I'm honestly not really into hunting either but I had a ton of fun with it. The running and shooting just all feels more real than any FPS i've ever played, except maybe ARMA. But the subscription thing eventually turned me off. You can buy guns and have them forever, but you still have to pay for ammo and game licences, so there's no way to just buy like a boxed version and own the game. I don't feel like sniping all the time, so I don't feel like I play enough to justify a monthly fee, but I'd love to just plop $60 down and play it here and there over time. I think they've got the wrong business model, but they probably attract a niche audience of hunters. (Although wouldn't those people rather go outside than play videogames?) They do have a good number of active online tournaments and stuff at least.

Seconding The Hunter, but I suggest that when you play the FTP version, if you like it, buy a subscription. Seriously. It's a lot less expensive than it used to be. Yes, the pricing model is total bullshit when it comes to buying in-game items, but for $35 a year (you can get 3 months or 6 months for $10 or $19 respectively) you get unlimited ammo and never have to worry about game licenses because you can hunt anywhere and with anything. There are bundles that will give you a ton of weapons and equipment with your subscription too. I've been a subscriber from the beginning and there's always a lot of new content too so it never gets old. It's definitely on the expensive side but with the number of hours of enjoyment I've gotten out of it over the years I feel it's worth it.

...god drat, going to my account it looks I've spent more than $250 on this game over the years. Though that still ends up being less than $50 a year.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This isn't exactly correct - the base game is as hard as it ever was, but they released optional patches you can download from their website to make it easier (there's an "easy" and "medium" difficulty patch, with the base game being considered "hard"). If you just play the game right off Steam or wherever, you're still playing the hard version.

Are you sure it's not both? I never downloaded the optional patches but I could have sworn there was something they changed really early on that made it easier; maybe a bug they fixed rather than a balance patch?

If not, then I still suggest just playing it on the default difficulty, it's a game of resource management and it's thematically about starvation and loss and the two are meant to complement each other.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Are any of the Dragon Quest iOS ports worth it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone know anything about this game Deadnaut? It looks like it could be neat. The website has a demo but everytime I download it I get "The installation files are corrupt" and that makes me feel wary about giving the guy money (although it could just be my end)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm looking for a game that allows me to go "rags to riches", from lone trader/warrior/whatever to CEO/Emperor/God of a massive empire. Preferably with options for both violent and nonviolent means. The problem is that the games with this theme I've played, like Warband and X3, have been very frustrating from a UI point of view. I want easy management options, stats, graphs presented in an accessible way. Basically I don't want to feel like i'm fighting against the user interface.

Can be first person or third person or isometric, can be anything from fantasy over sci-fi to medieval to horror; there can be a large combat part in the mechanics, but there should be a solid economic backbone that I can manipulate. What I don't want is a Civ/eu4 style country manager, I want to build factories/farms, start as a small entity on the payroll of an empire and end up usurping/conquering that empire.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Rumor has it I'm getting a sweet HOTAS (Saitek X52 Pro) for xmas. Looking for some great sci-fi/space oriented game suggestions to take full advantage of it. Thanks!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

double nine posted:

I'm looking for a game that allows me to go "rags to riches", from lone trader/warrior/whatever to CEO/Emperor/God of a massive empire. Preferably with options for both violent and nonviolent means. The problem is that the games with this theme I've played, like Warband and X3, have been very frustrating from a UI point of view. I want easy management options, stats, graphs presented in an accessible way. Basically I don't want to feel like i'm fighting against the user interface.

Can be first person or third person or isometric, can be anything from fantasy over sci-fi to medieval to horror; there can be a large combat part in the mechanics, but there should be a solid economic backbone that I can manipulate. What I don't want is a Civ/eu4 style country manager, I want to build factories/farms, start as a small entity on the payroll of an empire and end up usurping/conquering that empire.

You might be looking for something like The Guild 2. I'd also recommend The Last Federation, but that's less rags-to-riches and more about manipulating the galaxy's economy to create a federation. And yes, you can commit genocide in order to reach that goal.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

double nine posted:

The Patrician/Port Royale games are kind of like that--you start out as a nobody trader with a single boat and end up building a giant trade empire and/or ruling towns as mayor. They all have a lot of micromanagement though. The latest games (Patrician 4/Port Royale 3) have a pretty intuitive interface and better automation of your trade routes and so forth, but neither of them have quite the depth of their immediate predecessors.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Len posted:

Anyone know anything about this game Deadnaut? It looks like it could be neat. The website has a demo but everytime I download it I get "The installation files are corrupt" and that makes me feel wary about giving the guy money (although it could just be my end)

This game is incredibly unique and it's going to be hard to write any kind of easy explanation. I haven't tried the demo, not sure about your technical issues.

It's kind of cool, but I've really struggled with it and haven't even completed the first (randomly generated) mission yet. If you played the dev's previous game, Zafehouse Diaries, you should kind of know what to expect. It plays more like an RTS than Zafehouse, where you are moving your five crew members around derelict ships in real-time. You have limited control over the actual combat - your role in combat is generally about setting up ambushes and moving to better positions, and using special abilities (shields, rockets, and... something else, I forget).

It's overwhelmingly a game about oppressive atmosphere and tension, the whole thing is designed to make you feel like some kind of sci-fi special teams "handler" using ancient, malfunctioning technology to guide your team through derelict, alien-filled spaceships - the inefficiencies of your tools (e.g. your screen loses reception and floods with white noise, you might lose contact with your team for a couple minutes, you don't have good visual feedback on what's going on, etc.) are really your main antagonist, and I think the game does a great job of really making the distinction that you are not intended to be playing the boots on the ground, but rather some kind of commander sitting at base and sending your soldiers off on what you know are suicide missions.

You creep through derelicts, investigating corpses to gather Knowledge (currency), fighting aliens (I'll I've seen are Xenomorph-type melee aliens, but I know there are others that are more intelligent and tactical), hacking the ship to control doors and power level for rooms (e.g. reroute power to the greenhouse so there is less power available for the turrets in the next room - and the hacking does have its own AI sysadmin opponents working against you), destroying alien objects and trying to achieve some kind of mission (e.g. reach the Bridge and download the Ship's Log, then escape).

It has what seems like a very steep learning curve and I've barely scratched the surface, but if it sounds interesting and you're willing to put in the time, it should be a good purchase for $9. I never really got in to Zafehouse but I know that it was rather well received around here and I'm pretty sure this game will be too. Be prepared to die constantly, treat it like a Roguelike in that regard.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 12, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bruxism posted:

Rumor has it I'm getting a sweet HOTAS (Saitek X52 Pro) for xmas. Looking for some great sci-fi/space oriented game suggestions to take full advantage of it. Thanks!

What kinda space games are you in the mood for exactly?

Elite: Dangerous is loving amazing, although its pretty much a space-sim and while it'll take full advantage of your HOTAS, its not for everybody.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

What kinda space games are you in the mood for exactly?

Elite: Dangerous is loving amazing, although its pretty much a space-sim and while it'll take full advantage of your HOTAS, its not for everybody.

I'm actually a "backer" of E: D so it's already on my list, but yea that sort of thing. I'm not prepared to get on the Starcitizen crazy train, but would be interested in more stuff of that ilk. Not opposed to acquiring games solely for conversion mods either. The games I loved in the past for this for of thing include everything you would expect: Wind Commander games, X-Wing/Tie Fighters...

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Is there anything out there like Freedom Force? Both in tone and game-play.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hank Morgan posted:

Is there anything out there like Freedom Force? Both in tone and game-play.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has there been a game like Freedom Fighters that was really good?

(It was an TPS where you could get a squad of 12 dudes, and the missions generated differently based on actions you did before.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Fighters_%28video_game%29

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Bruxism posted:

The games I loved in the past for this for of thing include everything you would expect: Wind Commander games, X-Wing/Tie Fighters...
Not sure how fully it'll work with a HOTAS, but Freespace2Open is really good if you liked Tie Fighter.
Pickup Freespace2 from GOG to use it. I found it made more sense starting from the included Freespace1 campaign, which you can enable by selecting Fsport-mediavps as the mod in the launcher.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Are there any PC F2P games like the Battlefield series that are preferably available on Steam?

I've browsed through f2p games on Steam, but there's more than I figured. I've already tried World Of Tanks, and looked into War Thunder, but both aren't really close to what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Edit: Found Heroes & Generals, but I'm not sure about it.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 14, 2014

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

What are some great action games with RPG elements for the GBA?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rizuhbull posted:

Astro Boy: The Omega Factor was always a favourite of mine.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I'd say the Castlevania games, especially Aria of Sorrow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sigma Star Saga? Not actually great, but I have a soft spot for it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

rizuhbull posted:

Car Battler Joe if you love Mode 7

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are there any PC games that are as fun to play as halo? Lot's of weapons, lots of game modes, lots of different sized maps, lots of vehicles. I have crazy fun playing halo with my friends but for my pc all I have are CSS, CSGO, and TF2 none of which are remotely the same.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

Are there any PC games that are as fun to play as halo? Lot's of weapons, lots of game modes, lots of different sized maps, lots of vehicles. I have crazy fun playing halo with my friends but for my pc all I have are CSS, CSGO, and TF2 none of which are remotely the same.

saints row 4?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

double nine posted:

saints row 4?

Sorry, I meant FPS's with multiplayer. I'm tired today.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nevvy Z posted:

Sadly, no. Something like Halo Reach would be very popular on the PC because that niche is relatively unfilled. As far as I know the only modern multiplayer FPS that even has vehicles at all is Battlefield 4. Goddamn it Unreal Tournament 3, if only people played you....

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Sadly, no. Something like Halo Reach would be very popular on the PC because that niche is relatively unfilled. As far as I know the only modern multiplayer FPS that even has vehicles at all is Battlefield 4. Goddamn it Unreal Tournament 3, if only people played you....

Red Orchestra and RO2 have vehicles. Although they're not really fun party games in the same way Halo MP can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Well TF2 is kinda the same to be honest. Unless you HAVE to have vehicles, it totally has tons of modes. Hell it has more modes than Halo 4 does.

Borderlands has vehicles and co-op zany action but the gunplay sucks and the gameplay is all more of the same, not varied modes.

Uh, how about Engine + Mods? Like Steam, there's all kinds of steam mods. Or Unreal.
I guess the point is you want one game you and your friends can get into, but then hop into different modes without switching games?

Generally one game trying to be a dozen games isn't as good as just a dozen games focused on those different things. Embrace your PC master race ability, play one game, invite friends, quit, open new game, invite friends. Not so hard. If you're voice chatting on mumble or skype or whatever then you don't even have to drop communication.

GTA4 has huge maps and vehicles and some different game modes (plus you can make your own poo poo up) and GTA5 should be good if it ever arrives on pc :corsair:

Payday2 is stupid fun co-op on lots of varied maps, but there's only really 2 game modes (Stealth and Loud)

Really what you're looking for is Unreal Tournament 2004, but its not what it used to be.