Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They aren't the sprites from the original games, but I'm not sure where people are getting 'hideously ugly' from. Like if there was a massive change in the art style and everyone was a chibi or something but I don't see all the much of a difference. I'm just glad I finally have the trilogy, I could never find any copies of the DS games around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

nftyw posted:

e: Honestly I like PW1 when it comes to multiple choice responses because the game is extremely lenient on them, so you can go wild with wrong options just to see what hijinks happen after you choose a clearly wrong answer.

Huh, I never knew about all of these. I guess I was boring and always chose the right answer. I kinda wish someone would compile all of these now, that would be incredible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jazama posted:

Oh god am I really cross-examining that thing! Case 4 is so insane.

Yeah, you know, that's loving tame compared to some of the cross-examinations later in the series.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Welp just finished case 5. I'm super disappointed. :(

It was actually very close to being great.
This just isn't how AA operates. It's fair enough if you have a preference for dark endings but I like the "double twist" model a lot more.

Lurdiak posted:

I kind of dislike that they walk back how corrupt prosecutors are once their tragic past is revealed. I don't buy for a second that Edgeworth did things by the book and was just vicious, and even less so for Franziska.
Do you ever actually see Edgeworth do anything bad? I think he might've coached witnesses but I'm not sure.

That's something I sortof like about Blackquill incidentally, he's aggressive enough to be a real threat but if you think about it there's no implication that he's corrupt (he gets angry at his witnesses for lying rather than for saying something he wanted them to suppress, for instance).

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Welp just finished case 5. I'm super disappointed. :(

It was actually very close to being great.

They had me for a moment when it appeared that Athena might have accidentally killed her mother. That would have been such an insane twist -linking to the theme of justifying the means- to fight an uphill and dishonest battle against Edgeworth to get a culprit off the hook because it FEELS like the right thing to do. Right ? Phoenix going in full denial mode and doing anything to get Athena acquitted ! Probably losing her respect and everybody else's in the process. That would have been awesome and genuinely disturbing to play.

Athena's breakdown should have been the climax of the case. (It was for me anyway)

What I got instead was: Fulbright got quickly exposed as expected and was just as quickly forgotten. Like, seriously ? The guy that plotted this whole mess bites a bullet in court and all you have to say about that is two lines of exposition spouted by Blackquill saying "he'll be fine don't worry" *credit rolls*.

This is insane levels of bad writing, even for AA. Did they run out of budget or something ?

In my opinion the DLC case was way better than the main story arc.

What? That's not bad writing, because the game wasn't going for that at all.

Yeah, Phoenix doing everything he could to prove Athena innocent would have linked to the theme of justifying the means. But that's not what the game's theme is. The game is about how the end doesn't justify the means, so going along for that would have been at complete odds with what the game was about. It would have been a fun game to play, but it wouldn't have fit with the rest of the game--or Phoenix's characterization for that matter--even slightly.

I'll agree on the second point though. Wasn't a huge fan of Fullbright myself. I mean I loved the reveal, but yeah the confrontation with him wasn't that great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
He actually admits to coaching witnesses in a thought bubble in that case (it might actually be the only time that happens when you're not explicitly controlling the character thinking)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Do you ever actually see Edgeworth do anything bad? I think he might've coached witnesses but I'm not sure.
It's implied that he's used doctored evidence but Case 1-5 has the weird implication that any falsified evidence was unknowingly fed to him by Gant, which seems like a convoluted way of writing that out.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jazama posted:

Oh god am I really cross-examining that thing! Case 4 is so insane.

What, you played DD but not the DLC case? :colbert:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Now we just need an HD Investigation collection which has the first game and a proper NA release for 2. Throw in Apollo just to round it out.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

What, you played DD but not the DLC case? :colbert:

My 3DS have major problems with downloading DLC. I don't like to buy DLC because it usually takes a week to download it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Now we just need an HD Investigation collection which has the first game and a proper NA release for 2. Throw in Apollo just to round it out.

Nah, they should make the third game :v:

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Who would have thought that the killer is the suspicious man who is obviously hiding something? I greatly enjoyed case 4; it makes for a good ending for the game. Looking back, case 1 is completely disconnected with the story. Case 2 sets up some important concepts and introduces some important characters. Case 3 is mostly unrelated and is only useful for some character development.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This just isn't how AA operates. It's fair enough if you have a preference for dark endings but I like the "double twist" model a lot more.

That's something I sortof like about Blackquill incidentally, he's aggressive enough to be a real threat but if you think about it there's no implication that he's corrupt (he gets angry at his witnesses for lying rather than for saying something he wanted them to suppress, for instance).

I remember that in Case 2 when White was about to admit guilt, Edgeworth turned it around into him just admitting to tapping the phone. Which I guess is pretty corrupt?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jazama posted:

Who would have thought that the killer is the suspicious man who is obviously hiding something? I greatly enjoyed case 4; it makes for a good ending for the game. Looking back, case 1 is completely disconnected with the story. Case 2 sets up some important concepts and introduces some important characters. Case 3 is mostly unrelated and is only useful for some character development.

Killerman is Killerman

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I remember that in Case 2 when White was about to admit guilt, Edgeworth turned it around into him just admitting to tapping the phone. Which I guess is pretty corrupt?

That and well. "Updated" Autopsy report. Even Phoenix use quotes for the "Updated" part.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Jazama posted:

My 3DS have major problems with downloading DLC. I don't like to buy DLC because it usually takes a week to download it.

A week well spent.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jazama posted:

This is just a hunch but I think of the original four cases, case 3 was written last.

Also, i think 1-5 is the hardest case in the series. There is just a ridiculous amount of things going on with all the details you need to bring out in court, and I hardly remember any of them compared to the other cases.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

1-5 has that ONE Angel testimony. THAT cross-examination. It never fails to stump me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

This is just a hunch but I think of the original four cases, case 3 was written last.

Also, i think 1-5 is the hardest case in the series. There is just a ridiculous amount of things going on with all the details you need to bring out in court, and I hardly remember any of them compared to the other cases.

I think you're right, with the exception that case 1 was thrown in at the last minute because they realized they were going to want a tutorial for the cases.

I'd say it was the last case they made before 1, and 2 had some minor reworkings made to it after.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

1-5 was written after the third game so I think some of the trickiness they had in some of those later cases accidentally seeped into that case.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Meekins's armband has something in Japanese written on it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

1-5 was written after the third game so I think some of the trickiness they had in some of those later cases accidentally seeped into that case.

You can tell the writing is completely different in 1-5.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Hopeford posted:

What? That's not bad writing, because the game wasn't going for that at all.

Yeah, Phoenix doing everything he could to prove Athena innocent would have linked to the theme of justifying the means. But that's not what the game's theme is. The game is about how the end doesn't justify the means, so going along for that would have been at complete odds with what the game was about. It would have been a fun game to play, but it wouldn't have fit with the rest of the game--or Phoenix's characterization for that matter--even slightly.

I'll agree on the second point though. Wasn't a huge fan of Fullbright myself. I mean I loved the reveal, but yeah the confrontation with him wasn't that great.

Yeah I was tired when I wrote that, I probably expressed my thoughts poorly. I know the theme is not that the end justifies the means, quite the opposite (and it's been going on since the first AA if I recall) but to me it would have been way more interesting to see Phoenix dealing with the consequences of Athena's guilt and accepting it -for once- rather than letting her off the hook with a double backflip twist ending in classic AA fashion.

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up about any change in the series tone but I thought they had an opportunity to do something different and unexpected, that's why I'm disappointed. At this point it's pretty much established that you cannot lose a single trial in those games, and winning the unwinnable has become routine and cliché. Maybe I'm just tired of the formula and should move on to other things. v:shobon:v

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Yeah I was tired when I wrote that, I probably expressed my thoughts poorly. I know the theme is not that the end justifies the means, quite the opposite (and it's been going on since the first AA if I recall) but to me it would have been way more interesting to see Phoenix dealing with the consequences of Athena's guilt and accepting it -for once- rather than letting her off the hook with a double backflip twist ending in classic AA fashion.

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up about any change in the series tone but I thought they had an opportunity to do something different and unexpected, that's why I'm disappointed. At this point it's pretty much established that you cannot lose a single trial in those games, and winning the unwinnable has become routine and cliché. Maybe I'm just tired of the formula and should move on to other things. v:shobon:v

They already did that, though. In 2-4. Repeating it would be kind of pointless. And, well, apart from 2-4's circumtances, what would be the point?
Procuror: "Here's my case. It's airtight."
Phoenix: "Oh, well, shucks."

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 12, 2014

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Gant is weird. He stands there and just stare for several seconds. The music died completely and didn't come back until his testimony. Is that supposed to happen?

Jazama fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 12, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Jazama posted:

Gant is weird. He stands there and just stare for several seconds. The music died completely and didn't come back until his testimony. Is that supposed to happen?

Of course, it's supposed to be that way, Jazzy.

(Trust me, your game didn't freeze. And it's not freezing any other time, either.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Gant was cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The way the game shades orange makes them look like orange leather coats.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

How do you know he isn't actually wearing an orange leather coat?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

How do you know he isn't actually wearing an orange leather coat?

I've always just imagined he was. That seems like his kind of thing honestly.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Jazama posted:

Absolutely. That's probably my favorite little character tic of any of the games. Anytime that popped up I just cracked the hell up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

If you're playing Phoenix Wright games hoping for Phoenix to lose and teenage girls to be executed you're probably playing the wrong franchise in general. That isn't different and unexpected in a good way, it's grim and dark for no real reason.They already did a good case where Phoenix has to lose.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

If you're playing Phoenix Wright games hoping for Phoenix to lose and teenage girls to be executed you're probably playing the wrong franchise in general. That isn't different and unexpected in a good way, it's grim and dark for no real reason.They already did a good case where Phoenix has to lose.

Sounds like Layton vs Ace Attorney would be perfect though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Sounds like Layton vs Ace Attorney would be perfect though.

If the loop-around-quadruple-twist-so-you-can-have-a-happy-ending thing bothers you I'm pretty sure Layton vs. Ace Attorney isn't the game for you.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
After an hour of running around everywhere and examining everything, I finally got Marshall to show up.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jazama posted:

After an hour of running around everywhere and examining everything, I finally got Marshall to show up.

When I was young I spent almost an hour in the parking lot because I didn't notice you could pan the camera over

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Austrian mook posted:

When I was young I spent almost an hour in the parking lot because I didn't notice you could pan the camera over

I forget which case it was but in one of the last cases of either AA1 or AA2 I spent a long time totally stuck investigating everything in one room over and over (I think it was that parking lot) because I had been everywhere and I couldn't imagine where else the next thing I needed to look at would be. It turned out I had missed a sheet of paper lying under Edgeworth's desk.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Playing through the old games helps you appreciate the way DD changed investigations to not be horribly tedious.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/expert-witness-an-interview-with-alex-smith-the-writer-behind-ace-attorneys-english-debut

Pretty interesting article about localizing AA. I didn't realize that part of the localization was done by Bowne Global Solutions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
This music is haunting me in court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgyQDDa0RGI

• Locked thread