Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I'm near Covington and the wind has been a bit of a bust here. It's only slightly breezy and has been all evening. I've been getting a few flickers here and there but nothing convincing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

So far it seems pretty tame in the puget sound region, I know some people that have lost power, but they lose power when a butterfly farts.

So, you've been to Kenmore.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

effectual posted:

Well the Mayor is overreacting again. http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2014/12/11/city-to-crack-down-on-pot-delivery-services-consider-new-rules-for-dispensaries

Why not just make a provision to allow but regulate delivery services? People love them.

From the comments:

quote:

Washington's legalization framework was not designed or built to compete with the black market. It was designed to preserve the status quo-- whiter, wealthier people can indulge themselves without guilt or fear, while poorer, browner people continue to bear risk and stigma for the same behavior.

The price gap between street weed and the stuff in the shops isn't an accident.

I agree with this, and it's sad to see. I-502 is a disaster and being used to move things backwards. So this is how Colorado being better than you feels.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A Bag of Milk posted:

From the comments:

I agree with this, and it's sad to see. I-502 is a disaster and being used to move things backwards. So this is how Colorado being better than you feels.

So how should the initiative been written, given the limitation on how many things can be legislated on in one go?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

A Bag of Milk posted:

From the comments:

If you think the thought process went, "uh oh, black people might be able to buy weed too, better throw in a bunch of taxes to pull the prices out of their range" and not, "wow, there's a shitload of new tax money to be made here" then you're insane.

I mean of course governments are happy to screw with minorities to segregate things but there's a much simpler explanation here.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You don't think the motivation behind sin taxes is to discourage/punish the poor from their wicked unproductive ways? Politicians are money hungry but they're self righteous even more so.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

MrKatharsis posted:

You don't think the motivation behind sin taxes is to discourage/punish the poor from their wicked unproductive ways? Politicians are money hungry but they're self righteous even more so.

I think they're money hungry and at one point they sold it to the public on morals. Now they sell it on precedent without thinking much about the original principles.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I live in north seattle and had no power all night. :\ Right on the edge of my grid too. I got to watch my neighbors with their lights and power >< Luckily none of the gigantic trees fell down though!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Solkanar512 posted:

So how should the initiative been written, given the limitation on how many things can be legislated on in one go?

I never knew there was a limit of how much could be written in an initiative or referendum or bill at once in WA state. IS this why no one has ever taken up the reigns and written in a "drop the sales tax down to 2% and replace with income tax" ?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrKatharsis posted:

Marijuana is a bit of an exception because most of the pro legalization arguments revolved around taxing it like alcohol.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tigntink posted:

I never knew there was a limit of how much could be written in an initiative or referendum or bill at once in WA state. IS this why no one has ever taken up the reigns and written in a "drop the sales tax down to 2% and replace with income tax" ?

Someone really should do that. After living in "Taxachusetts," I was shocked at how much worse WA's situation is. The funniest thing is that greatest opposition to such a measure probably comes from those it'd benefit most.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I get the feeling it would be a pretty massive under taking because you'd have to pinpoint each specific type of sales tax. Prepared food, clothing, and what ever other individual categories exist.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tigntink posted:

From my understanding, this is exactly the reason.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Initiatives can only be about one issue. Tim Eyman had a couple overturned for that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That sounds awkward. It's a shame changing the tax situation's so tricky. Shifting billions in revenue out of sales & property tax over to a flat tax would save the majority of Washington money.

Like, WA residents had $299,685,263,000 of income in 2011.

WA state had $45,342,000,000 of tax revenue in 2011, of which sales and property tax were $24,628,000,000.

Mathing this out, tax revenue equals 15.13% of total state income, with just sales & property as 8.2%.

How are things now? On average, your household doesn't pay that little toward sales & property tax until around $50k, which is a little under the Median of $56k:

So, if you go hog wild on this and just drop in an 8.2% flat-tax, no income exemption, and zero-out sales and property taxes then you'll actually raise taxes on slightly more than half of Washington. But if you keep the tax at <5%, given the current tax liability distribution, you'd easily push the 0-point between lowered and raised taxes over median.

I'd need additional data to figure out where that point would be for a given rate, but a small revenue-neutral flat-tax would easily lower most Washingtonians taxes.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 12, 2014

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Assuming it's constitutional, couldn't you structure it as two ballot measures (one adding an income tax and the other decreasing the sales tax), with a poison pill provision so that if only one passes, neither goes into effect?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Except that flat taxes don't work, and still place an unfair burden on those with the lowest incomes.
But hey, if you can make your idea a progressive tax based on income bracket, then you'll be talking.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Except that flat taxes don't work, and still place an unfair burden on those with the lowest incomes.
But hey, if you can make your idea a progressive tax based on income bracket, then you'll be talking.

They work, they're just crappier than progressive taxes. But they're an easier sell to conservatives and I think someone mentioned a Washington Supreme Court ruling barring state-level progressive income taxes so we're kinda stuck(, I guess).

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 12, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
in terms of lawmaking, ineptitude:washington::maliciousness:mississippi

it's breathtaking how bad both our politicians and the general voting public are at making good decisions about anything, ever

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Accretionist posted:

I think someone mentioned a Washington Supreme Court ruling barring state-level progressive income taxes so we're kinda stuck(, I guess).

The supreme court ruling everyone loves bringing up is from 1932 and uses an outdated definition of income as property. It would almost certainly be overturned if the issue came up again.

The current court is so chickenshit they probably wouldn't even try.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Out here in Jefferson county we had some pretty good gusts yesterday. Must've had at least a dozen downed powerlines throughout the area, more than a few fallen trees, and a complete blackout for Cape George, Port Hadlock, and Chimacum. I imagine a lot of the other areas lost power too, but I wasn't covering any of them so I wouldn't know. gently caress all happened to Brinnon though, they didn't have anything to deal with.

Seems like the winds peaked in the evening right around dinnertime, and then eventually petered out by midnight or so.

e: when I was on Swansonville road out by Port Ludlow last night, there were parts of it that were just carpeted with debris. Seemed like that place got hit pretty hard.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 12, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I lost power for about 8 hours last night. Before going to bed, I saw around half a dozen transformers blow up around the neighborhood.

A Bag of Milk posted:

From the comments:

The colorado/washington slap fight ended months ago. Move on already.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I lost power for about 8 hours last night. Before going to bed, I saw around half a dozen transformers blow up around the neighborhood.

The colorado/washington slap fight ended months ago. Move on already.

Now is the time to brainstorm talking points for lowering pot prices.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Accretionist posted:

WA cant even stop clinging to the anti-legalize-it fence with the last two fingers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

Only you can lower pot prices.

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/nutrients/flora_series/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It is pretty stupid to have recreational weed priced so high when you can sneeze and find someone to sell you weed for like half the price. My guess is they will start taking aim at the 'medical' market because it's honestly the easiest competition for them to target.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

We won't stamp out the black market unless prices are remotely competitive?

It's a subsidy for WA eateries and the video game industry?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I've replaced my bad joke with an actual suggestion:

"A high tax creates drug dealers"

The contrast makes it sticky, right? Two contrasting images side-by-side makes it stand out:

"Cheap marijuana fights crime."

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 13, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Accretionist posted:

Uncle Ikes seems to have the best prices of all the official stores. It's still kind of high (like $10-20/gram) but not ludicrous like in the past ($30+/gram).

I just read the indian reservations are mulling over whether they want to sell marijuana too. Apparently the DoJ has said they won't prosecute them if they do, but some of the spokespeople for reservations said they still might not do it. That would probably help put pressure on prices if they started selling since they wouldn't have to worry about all the taxes and such.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

DrNutt posted:

It is pretty stupid to have recreational weed priced so high when you can sneeze and find someone to sell you weed for like half the price. My guess is they will start taking aim at the 'medical' market because it's honestly the easiest competition for them to target.

The Seattle mayor just announced yesterday that they're going to crack down on all the delivery services and black market stuff that's operating in the open. I have a feeling their days are probably numbered, so probably want to stock up while you can.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Ha, if Indian reservations charged cigarette prices for weed product-substitution would kill all illegal drugs in 100 miles.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Accretionist posted:

Ha, if Indian reservations charged cigarette prices for weed product-substitution would kill all illegal drugs in 100 miles.

Is crossing on and off of a reservation "interstate commerce"?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Portland is dieing!!! RIP

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

“As a single gay guy from London,” the source says, Watson “underestimated what it would be like. It was a culture shock. And there’s no point in having a great job if you feel unhappy with your surroundings.” The decision to leave the shoe giant crystalized for Watson while home in London with his family over the Thanksgiving break.

London's the god damned metropole. A fair loss, Portland. No shame in this one.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Accretionist posted:

London's the god damned metropole. A fair loss, Portland. No shame in this one.

I would find Portland boring if I lived on a cult compound in Beaverton.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I live in Klamath Falls :smith: I just wanted to share that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Man moves to Oregon for all the wrong reasons. Doesn't like it. Leaves. Hold the presses.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kaal posted:

Man moves to Oregon for all the wrong reasons. Doesn't like it. Leaves. Hold the presses.

Something something Nike, so somebody, somewhere, cares.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kaal posted:

it flies in the face of all the Portland Is Such A Great Place To Move To articles, which is why it is notable and also why it is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

anthonypants posted:

it flies in the face of all the Portland Is Such A Great Place To Move To articles, which is why it is notable and also why it is good

I'm sure it shocks the world that the city of skinny guys with scruffy beards has zero appeal to a gay man.

• Locked thread