Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
People were paying over $35k for the last golf r. You can easily option the gti to like $32k, and the packages that get it there aren't exactly uncommon. People have been willing to pay that much for hatchbacks for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

Well, here's one datapoint for you. I'm 35 years old and can afford more than one vehicle (currently have two) and absolutely have no trouble dropping $30-40k on a well done balls fast hot hatch. AWD is a requirement though.

The hot hatch is my DD utility vehicle and my 2nd car is a more fun impractical one. I own a house and generally have to carry something larger from time to time and the hatch has greatly cut down on the instances where I would have had to either rent a truck or get a friend to help me out with a larger vehicle. I have no desire at all for any sort of truck, they do absolutely nothing for me nor do I want to move on to something more "mature."

Commuting is a slog and one of the few pure moments of joy I have throughout the week is flogging my car yet it has to be something that's equally capable when there's 6 inches of snow on the ground or carrying a toilet back from Home Depot.

Nothing else really fits but a hot hatch.
I suppose. I see the hot hatch as the fun AND practical choice. Using it as part of a pair seems to be outside it's purpose. I just can't imagine doing enough of the dirty work with a hot hatch to considering it good enoug in that role. I'd rather have an actual truck as the do everything and anything vehicle and something even less practical as the everyday and track vehicle (thus wanting the Mustang/F150 or 'vette/F150 combos).

Its a question of personal taste as much as anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

See, a RWD 2.3EB Focus would do it for me. Front biased AWD just doesn't.

Maybe they'll just put a Focus shell on a Sierra chassis again :getin:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
We really need more hot wagons. Has there really been an affordable one since the V70R or the Magnum?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bring back the country squire and put the mustang engine in it.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Well, here's one datapoint for you. I'm 35 years old and can afford more than one vehicle (currently have two) and absolutely have no trouble dropping $30-40k on a well done balls fast hot hatch. AWD is a requirement though.

The hot hatch is my DD utility vehicle and my 2nd car is a more fun impractical one. I own a house and generally have to carry something larger from time to time and the hatch has greatly cut down on the instances where I would have had to either rent a truck or get a friend to help me out with a larger vehicle. I have no desire at all for any sort of truck, they do absolutely nothing for me nor do I want to move on to something more "mature."

Commuting is a slog and one of the few pure moments of joy I have throughout the week is flogging my car yet it has to be something that's equally capable when there's 6 inches of snow on the ground or carrying a toilet back from Home Depot.

Nothing else really fits but a hot hatch.

Are you me?

Except for the bit about snow, I could have typed this very thing.

Btw, I think the Golf R is for us.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Buy a mustang and a lovely 90s explorer 4x4 for the winter. Nothing mature about that and its plenty fun.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Cage posted:

Buy a mustang and a lovely 90s explorer 4x4 for the winter. Nothing mature about that and its plenty fun.

buy an old mustang for the snow and a new mustang for summer

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I genuinely wanted a 2nd mustang beater for the winter. Mine was a hell of a lot of fun driving it in the winter but it was lowered and I hit a bunch of snow chunks with my exhaust. I looked at a couple but ended up going with an explorer.

edit: its how I ended up with this temporarily. Mustang wheels on an explorer.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cage posted:

Some of us only have one parking spot. :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cage posted:

Why would I buy a not-fun car for the winter? Winter is one of the best times to have fun!

Don't like mustangs, not my cup of tea. I respect them, they are great cars, do absolutely nothing for me on a visceral level.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CornHolio posted:

We really need more hot wagons. Has there really been an affordable one since the V70R or the Magnum?

http://www.hsv.com.au/Gen-F/See/ClubSport-R8-Tourer/ :australia: :getin:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
How is an beater explorer not fun in the snow? Lets you get slidey, gives you lots of room in the back for your toilets, and if you hit something who cares?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cage posted:

if you hit something who cares?

My insurance.

And..possibly, my body.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You do not know the true freedom of owning an absolute piece of poo poo beater you don't give a rat's rear end about. Low power so planting your foot doesn't mean an instant ticket, parking mm away from a jackass who's double parked without worrying about scratches or dings is cathartic, for detailers it's absolutely mind blowing how much of a guilty pleasure it is to use the brush on the entire car, parts are usually cheap and plentiful in most junkyards, and they're an absolute blast to beat on.

The best new car is an old crap one apparently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

You do not know the true freedom of owning an absolute piece of poo poo beater you don't give a rat's rear end about. Low power so planting your foot doesn't mean an instant ticket, parking mm away from a jackass who's double parked without worrying about scratches or dings is cathartic, for detailers it's absolutely mind blowing how much of a guilty pleasure it is to use the brush on the entire car, parts are usually cheap and plentiful in most junkyards, and they're an absolute blast to beat on.

I have half a mind to weld lengths of rebar along the sides of the Civic and troll parking lots.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

bull3964 posted:

My insurance.

And..possibly, my body.
I meant more like curbs or posts you cant see because of the snow, or the snow itself.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bajaha posted:

I agree with you here. For 2 years circumstances had me in a terrible 1998 Dodge Neon beater. The clearcoat was shot, there was no A/C or Radio, and I gave no shits about the car. It was cheap to repair, cost 60 dollars a month to insure and got great gas mileage. I had so much spending money in my pocket it was ridiculous. I wish I could go back to having a beater I didn't give a poo poo about, but man I loving just love love love new cars.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I learned to drive on a 92' civic, man that car was fun. My old man didn't buy winter tires at the time and there was a wee bit of sliding around at times.

Good winter driving training though!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wrap it up GM Failures.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1095863_conservative-ecu-tuning-causing-power-loss-on-2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06

quote:

The guys at AutoEvolution reached out to General Motors Company [NYSE:GM] which explained that the conservative ECU tuning is necessary to ensure emissions targets are met as well as the preservation of the powertrain over the life of the car (the warranty on the Z06 powertrain is five years or 100,000 miles).

GM said that it expects most Z06 owners to be satisfied with the car’s performance and suggests that anyone wanting to remove the conservative ECU tuning can do so via aftermarket means, albeit at the expense of their car’s warranty.

"We are confident that the vast majority of customers are going to be more than satisfied with the performance the Z06 offers in stock form,” a GM spokesman said in a statement. “For those that want more power, they can visit an aftermarket tuner—who are not held to the same standards [emissions and warranty] as an OEM.”

It sounds like anyone willing to risk their factory warranty with some aftermarket mods for their Z06 can look forward to some serious performance gains.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
In happier news, Jeep Renegade will offer a stick with AWD for under $20k..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/11/19/jeep-renegade-20000-fiat-500x/19298845/

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Looks like I'll spend the next year trying to decide between the Mustang Ecoboost and the Focus RS. I'll be curious to see what the price difference will be if they are similarly equipped.

In other good Ford news: Sync V3 has been revealed and looks to be pretty impressive. http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/11/ford-ditches-microsoft-for-qnx-in-latest-in-vehicle-tech-platform/

Should start appearing on 2016 models, but 2015 and earlier cars are not upgradeable.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking as someone who's only experienced MFT after a year and a half of updates(late '13 car) I can say I've never had a problem with it, I don't see how it could be any simpler to perform basic functions, and I think all the pictures of Sync V3 look hideous so far. Seriously, that's ugly and doesn't look like it would blend in well with any cars interior, something that I think MFT does very well, at least in my car.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:flashfap:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:circlefap:

With how unreliable the Veloster has been, I definitely need to check the numbers once this comes out. If only the Canadian pricing was anywhere near the US pricing :arghfist::(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bajaha posted:

With how unreliable the Veloster has been, I definitely need to check the numbers once this comes out. If only the Canadian pricing was anywhere near the US pricing :arghfist::(

I could easily see ford only importing 100, and dealerships getting pants on head retarded with mark-ups. They did that with the tremor and somewhat with the fiesta ST.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Powershift posted:

I could easily see ford only importing 100, and dealerships getting pants on head retarded with mark-ups. They did that with the tremor and somewhat with the fiesta ST.

They'll import 100 of them, dealerships will mark them up to 100k, none of them will sell, and then Ford will decide that there's no demand and never do it again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

There's a guy on vwvortex that has been pretty spot on with information about the RS saying it's for sure going to be AWD and be priced to start around $32-35k. Going to be a lot of car for that money if he's right. I think it would be hard to go with the Golf R over the RS provided there aren't some huge flaws.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I hate agreeing with GM on anything but that makes a lot of sense.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

I hate agreeing with GM on anything but that makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, I don't imagine the <5% of buyers this will actually effect having an issue tuning the vehicle to not do this on the track.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

I'll fight you for the first one on the lot here in the 'Peg.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm gonna get that car in the most eye-searing color they offer it in and drive sideways in empty parking lots until the tires explode.

Edit: Does Ford have any good DCT's they might shove in it? I know it's a long shot, but a stick is the difference between my wife going "I want one. When can it be delivered?" to "Not in a million years."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 12, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I was absolutely 100% dead-set that a new 5.0 Mustang would be my next vehicle, but if the Focus RS is AWD and available with a stick (not just a dual-clutch automated manual), I will seriously have to consider it. I loved the HELL out of my 2005 Focus so I have a soft spot for them, I love the styling of the current Focus, I love AWD, I love driving stick, and I love lots of horsepower in a little hatch. With options, my desired Mustang would come in at just over $40k, so even if the RS starts at $32-35k, with options it should be in the same ballpark and I'd be willing to spend it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm interested to see what type of AWD system it gets provided it gets AWD. No haldex with electronic "differentials" please. I hear that the ST has some issues with brakes because of it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Well, nobody is going to confuse it with a normal Focus.
AWD or not, I am still not interested, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm interested in this RS Hatch a lot, I'm just curious as to what the interior is like, especially the gauges and that weird-rear end boost gauge in the current ST.

ilkhan posted:

Well, nobody is going to confuse it with a normal Focus.
AWD or not, I am still not interested, though.

You should be pumped that a company is making something so rad though, I'm glad there are Hellcats and Z06s and Raptors for the people that want them, even if I myself am not interested. Nobody would give a poo poo if this were just another Mustang trim, this is at least more novel.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I'm interested in this RS Hatch a lot, I'm just curious as to what the interior is like, especially the gauges and that weird-rear end boost gauge in the current ST.

You should be pumped that a company is making something so rad though, I'm glad there are Hellcats and Z06s and Raptors for the people that want them, even if I myself am not interested. Nobody would give a poo poo if this were just another Mustang trim, this is at least more novel.
Oh, I am. I am.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress you dad, cars are cooler now than when you were a kid :smug:

his first new car was a Max Wedge Fury, too lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Nah. They're faster, safer, all around "better," but I wouldn't go so far as to say cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Where is that image sourced from, anyway?