Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Acne Rain posted:

In this same vein, Kup and Shitpeice are also different characters instead of another such renaming.

Wait, wasn't "Shitpiece" just a gag from the blooper video, or are you telling me that actually made it to the air in a children's cartoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Wade Wilson posted:

Wait, wasn't "Shitpiece" just a gag from the blooper video, or are you telling me that actually made it to the air in a children's cartoon?

It wasn't a blooper video it was this dr smoov video where he just does all the voices over the old cartoon footage. It was not on the cartoon.

DoctorDelaware posted:

The movie is a goddamn masterpiece. :colbert:

The movie does have one thing going for it over the comics as you have to provide your own hair metal soundtrack :shobon:
(James Roberts does provide soundtracks for the issues he writes that you can find on tfwiki, but it's mostly indie music not hair metal)

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

The movie does have one thing going for it over the comics as you have to provide your own hair metal soundtrack :shobon:
(James Roberts does provide soundtracks for the issues he writes that you can find on tfwiki, but it's mostly indie music not hair metal)

The hair metal is great, but nothing made little-kid-me mark out like hearing a Weird Al song in the theater.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

DoctorDelaware posted:

The hair metal is great, but nothing made little-kid-me mark out like hearing a Weird Al song in the theater.

Word! To add, The Touch— schlocky '80s inspirock though I've since recognized it as— still gets me pumped on a level with Lyle from Achewood.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Crossposting from the Baddass thread, but nothing is as touching as a father and daughter bonding over anime.

Batgirl #36

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

OK Octopus posted:

If you can please help me, I'd really appreciate it. I read a panel on here once about loss and how it was like being told you could never see the ocean again. How it didn't matter that it was there and you had memories of it, you'd never get to see it.

My mom is not doing well, and I'd really like to see whatever comic that comic was from tonight. Thanks if you can help.

This from a couple pages and over a month ago, but I'd like to second this request.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This from a couple pages and over a month ago, but I'd like to second this request.
It took some creative googling, but I found it, from Daniel Clowes' Wilson:

More here.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

redbackground posted:

It took some creative googling, but I found it, from Daniel Clowes' Wilson:

More here.

This hits very close to home. It rings very true, only you don't often get sudden anxiety attacks because "Oh, gently caress, I haven't been by to see the ocean in a while, I'll bet it's upset...oh...oh, yeah...gently caress..." :(

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Phylodox posted:

This hits very close to home. It rings very true, only you don't often get sudden anxiety attacks because "Oh, gently caress, I haven't been by to see the ocean in a while, I'll bet it's upset...oh...oh, yeah...gently caress..." :(

Ooof. I was catching up with this thread just after hearing that my uncle had died. While I wasn't close to my uncle, my dad just lost his older bro, who had literally always been there since he was born. I thought based on OK Octopus's description that maybe it might be a nice thing to send him... But while it fits "touching", it sure ain't "inspiring".

My mom died earlier this year, and that's exactly what it felt feels like.

Nevertheless, thanks for your searching, redbackground! Much obliged.

JESUS CAN WE GET SOME "INSPIRING" IN HERE, STAT, BEFORE PHYLODOX AND I MELT DOWN ANY MORE Gonna re-read those Batgirl panels, I really enjoyed those.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JESUS CAN WE GET SOME "INSPIRING" IN HERE, STAT, BEFORE PHYLODOX AND I MELT DOWN ANY MORE Gonna re-read those Batgirl panels, I really enjoyed those.

Fine, here let's all enjoy that harbinger of joy, Batman! But no really, here's an abbreviated look at Detective Comics Annual #3, a book I like a lot.

Background: Batman's hunting a bunch of arms traffickers.

Batman then proceeds to track down the father in disguise since Batman has a sore spot about fathers (btw I love that Batman's disguise of Matches Malone is just him in a mustache and it somehow still works).

Later, Bats checks up on the lead from Aden (the kid) and the tip checks out...

This next part probably belongs in the badass thread, but since the dirtbag didn't take the bait, it's up to Batman to step up for the deadbeat dad, so he goes full Iron Man.

So anyway after bringin' the hurt and rescuing Aden, we get this scene:

(Check the back pocket :3:)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 18, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Haha. Great origin for Calendar Man.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Inspirational? How about this?

It's the last scene of the last issue of the original run of Suicide Squad. A confrontation between Deadshot and Count Vertigo. Vertigo had earlier explained that a lot of his actions over the past several years had been driven by mental illness, which may have been the result of the experiments that gave him his powers but may also have been the result of aristocratic inbreeding... and that, on the whole, he's been feeling suicidal. He says to Deadshot, "if I ask you to... will you kill me?" And Deadshot says, "absolutely... so you'd drat well better be SURE before you ask me that."

Later, after a mission, Vertigo takes Deadshot aside for an important conversation...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
When did Batman build a hulkbuster suit :stare:

VVV Fair enough, my knowledge of DC is much less than my knowledge of Marvel

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 18, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

When did Batman build a hulkbuster suit :stare:

I guess you could say when did Iron Man make Supermanbuster armor.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

Later, after a mission, Vertigo takes Deadshot aside for an important conversation...

I like this a lot cause you couldn't pull off that scene as effectively in any medium outside of comics. This is A+ comic booking.

Edit: weird nitpick, but I wish the clouds were moving a tiny bit in the background.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

I like this a lot cause you couldn't pull off that scene as effectively in any medium outside of comics. This is A+ comic booking.

Edit: weird nitpick, but I wish the clouds were moving a tiny bit in the background.
At least you get a bird going across.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's the last scene of the last issue of the original run of Suicide Squad. A confrontation between Deadshot and Count Vertigo. Vertigo had earlier explained that a lot of his actions over the past several years had been driven by mental illness, which may have been the result of the experiments that gave him his powers but may also have been the result of aristocratic inbreeding... and that, on the whole, he's been feeling suicidal. He says to Deadshot, "if I ask you to... will you kill me?" And Deadshot says, "absolutely... so you'd drat well better be SURE before you ask me that."

These are my all-time favorite comics pages, I love the Vertigo subplot in SS so much.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Mega Man comic tends to play up how hard it is sometimes to be a sentient robot with feelings and a personality who is locked in their programming and has no free will whatsoever. Mega Man #43 goes into that a little.

:smith:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

redbackground posted:

At least you get a bird going across.

...I never actually noticed the bird before. Nice eye.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

The Mega Man comic tends to play up how hard it is sometimes to be a sentient robot with feelings and a personality who is locked in their programming and has no free will whatsoever. Mega Man #43 goes into that a little.

Jesus that's rough.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That also fits in with how The Megas portrayed Needleman on History Repeating Red, as a robot who did not want to fight, but was programmed that way (and also corrupted by Airman's used parts).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ever thought you'd be choked up by Thanos?

From The Death of Captain Marvel (spoilers): Mar-Vell is dying of cancer and has sunk into his final coma. The spirit of his greatest enemy, Thanos, returns from the dead and takes Mar-Vell into a dreamworld. There he first starts a fight so that Mar-Vell can die on his feet in battle as he deserves. However, when the battle is over he reveals his true reasons for coming: he is there to help Mar-Vell accept death, and to travel with him into the next life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's a reason that particular death stuck.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Lurdiak posted:

There's a reason that particular death stuck.

Because Captain Marvel was lame and no-one cared.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

team overhead smash posted:

That didn't stop them from bringing back [INSERT PUNCHLINE HERE]!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gavok posted:

And, honestly, good on the Archie team. They've done far more in, what, three years, than capcom's done in at least 10 with the blue bomber.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

And, honestly, good on the Archie team. They've done far more in, what, three years, than capcom's done in at least 10 with the blue bomber.

They'd done more in three weeks than Capcom has done in 10 years.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman/Superman #16 from Greg Pak.

... pages skipped

... ditto

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't see any bug?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gavok posted:

This scene is pretty jarring (in a good way), because a few pages before there's some funny scenes with needle man complaining about wiley's dumb plans, his stage and then getting pissed off when megaman confuses crocheting with knitting.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
It's all fun and games until someone gets shot because they have no real free will and can only futilely fight a superior foe :smith:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Guys is it just me or does the gemini laser have a greek accent?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't see any bug?

The kid saw the bullet wound but didn't know that's what it was.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

Guys is it just me or does the gemini laser have a greek accent?

The "gemini" comes from the "Gemini Twins", Greek heroes Castor and Pollux, though the word "gemini" is Latin.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

team overhead smash posted:

Is that actually true? I realize he was a 'cosmic' character and those guys were poo poo on, but even as a kid (I was 8 when the issue came out) I thought that 'holy cow this fucker is capital D-E-A-D. No way they bring that back.' I also had a potty-mouth as a kid.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Monaghan posted:

This scene is pretty jarring (in a good way), because a few pages before there's some funny scenes with needle man complaining about wiley's dumb plans, his stage and then getting pissed off when megaman confuses crocheting with knitting.

"Destroy Mega Man." What is Mega Man? It's a hardware module containing software that emulates an adolescent human child. If you're an inferior machine, design-wise - you know you can't beat him physically, he's made of better materials, literally sterner stuff than you, then you take it to the other level. Crippling Mega Man's software, making it unable to fight. That's got to count as 'destroying' Mega Man, right?

It's a backup methodology for Directive B, and it's a logically valid one. Needle Man actually IS using all of the flexibility written into his core directives.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman/Superman #16 from Greg Pak.

... pages skipped

... ditto

That version of Batman actually is a real person who actually exists (and visits sick kids in costume and has a Batmobile and stuff), so it's cool to see him get his moment in the comics.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Are Superman and Batman good at being herobros in the New52?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Are Superman and Batman good at being herobros in the New52?

They have moments but there's still something missing in the new universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Shmorky

http://butthug.com/post/104982428995/kramps