Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm trying to remain impartial about what gun-oriented wargame to play (hence my question earlier) but I've just watched all of Fury and it's not helping matters. Gosh, that Tiger! Those Shermans!

Is there anything I should know before thinking about Germany (opponent wants to play) vs a particular enemy/era? I'm leaning towards Brits/Early, since my favorite Soviet theatres are split between Mid/Late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Southern Heel posted:

I'm trying to remain impartial about what gun-oriented wargame to play (hence my question earlier) but I've just watched all of Fury and it's not helping matters. Gosh, that Tiger! Those Shermans!

Is there anything I should know before thinking about Germany (opponent wants to play) vs a particular enemy/era? I'm leaning towards Brits/Early, since my favorite Soviet theatres are split between Mid/Late.

Well you can probably use a lot of the same miniatures for soviet mid and late war.

Edit: Assuming you do Flames of War you'll have to use different army lists obviously, but I don't see any reason you couldn't use mosylt of the same miniatures for both eras.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 9, 2014

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There are also a bunch of things that are labelled "Mid-Late" on the package, so you can't really go wrong there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're using infantry then at this scale the difference between early, mid and late is mostly how many bases you're going to have anyway. It's not impossible to make an army that will work for all three periods.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

signalnoise posted:

Wow I like this a lot. Thanks for this!

It's awesome for a few squads and a commander, but I had trouble thinking about where it goes from there for a larger force. Snow? Hay? Mud?

Some of the combinations don't seem to work great. It seems like you'd end up with colored lichen which is the same problem you started with. Just with lichen.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Flames of War has their own army builder now, and (I'm pretty sure) it's free!

http://forces.flamesofwar.com/index.aspx

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Looks pretty limited with what products have made it onto the unit list, and you have to log in to use it at all.

Still better than nothing.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I can't wait for the digital app to come out, that'll be pretty fun. Otherwise, I hate that the AIW update came as I'm here in Taiwan. Wish I could paint some more M51s and bazooka jeeps. Also want to see how well they did in "unsucking" the Jordanians.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Colonial Air Force posted:

Unfortunately I don't think it is-from what I remember reading, you have to buy the books or individual lists in order to use them. Still pretty cool, though, and hopefully it doesn't take long to start adding older books.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just tried it, definitely not free. You can either buy a single intelligence briefing, basically the listing for a particular unit ie a Panther platoon for your Armoured platoon, or buy the whole book it's in for $16 or $18

There is a digital exclusive edition included for free called Devil's Charge, but the only free companies it gives you are 16 German ones

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

There is a digital exclusive edition included for free called Devil's Charge, but the only free companies it gives you are 16 German ones

pffffttt

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
It's just a reskinned version of easyarmy.com. Nothing really new except slightly prettier designs. I've used easyarmy so much that it's definitely worth the small amount of money I spent on it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Just tried it, definitely not free. You can either buy a single intelligence briefing, basically the listing for a particular unit ie a Panther platoon for your Armoured platoon, or buy the whole book it's in for $16 or $18

The free German lists are the ones from this free briefing. I wish they'd also do the million US infantry divisions they have for free, but that's probably not going to happen.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm reading you right, but you definitely don't have to buy an army list platoon by platoon. You get the whole list, and all its variants. If the organization chart in the book would show different prices for different divisions, you unlock a separate list for each division.

Oh, do click on the "Scenarios" tab in the builder too. It shows every historical scenario available on the site on Google Maps. :allears:

Edit: Wait, this really is literally the Easyarmy.com thing. Even the map has been implemented. That's pretty clever business Battlefront's done. I wonder, since the lists are in Easyarmy.com already, if the free PDF lists might actually get released once they get some graphics done?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 11, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I clicked on the locked things and it offered to sell me things $1 at a time or $16/18 for an entire book, I didn't check how much each $1 got you

Never used Easy Army, but I do like how the graphics look like the ones in the books and make things easy to visualise. I did notice one error though, the Panzergrenadier heavy platoon graphic gives you 2 compulsory 2x MG 42 sections with optional 3t trucks, but the radio buttons only let you choose between 0 or 1 2x MG 42 section.

Edit: I guess they're just using the same graphic for every heavy platoon, even if the graphic doesn't match the reality of what each company can take in that platoon

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 11, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You didn't have the option for the full heavy platoon because you were making a Panzer Lehr Division, they only get one MG section. The 2. Panzerdivision can buy up to two sections with three or four MG teams.

It's still a really unintuitive graphic, but the PDF only has that one for both divisions.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
EasyArmy used to tell you the special rules of the army you're using, whereas this one does not.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
It seems like it will take them a while to implement stuff to the same quality as in Easyarmy (hence the lack of lists). I'm sure they'll get around to it though, since it seems to be literally the same guy porting his stuff over to a BF owned domain so they can score some of the income.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Is Easyarmy gonna get a cease and desist for FoW? That would suck for those players. It is really nice for BA.

Is there a FoW library for BattleScribe? I love it for BA, 40k, etc.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I think EasyArmy and Battlefront ended up having some agreement. In any case, it's the final straw for me because I only purchased lists from EasyArmy as it was frustrating to get anything to where I live in Australia anyway. Flames of War was always more niche than Warhammer 40K in my area, and now it's being slowly strangled to death it seems.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Leo Showers posted:

I think EasyArmy and Battlefront ended up having some agreement. In any case, it's the final straw for me because I only purchased lists from EasyArmy as it was frustrating to get anything to where I live in Australia anyway. Flames of War was always more niche than Warhammer 40K in my area, and now it's being slowly strangled to death it seems.

I'm honestly surprised that it's difficult to get FoW stuff in Australia, given that Battlefront is located right over in New Zealand.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leo Showers posted:

I don't know, to me it always seems that all historicals always seem niche compared to 40k and M:tG. Sorry to hear about your situation, though, that sucks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Beardless posted:

I'm honestly surprised that it's difficult to get FoW stuff in Australia, given that Battlefront is located right over in New Zealand.

When you order stuff from the Battlefront store to Australia it ships from the UK. Go figure.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is there something like parcel motel that'll give you an Australian address to ship to that you can then get forwarded to a depot near you?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Battlefront literally ships nothing from New Zealand despite being from there, that was the point

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

muggins posted:

Is Easyarmy gonna get a cease and desist for FoW? That would suck for those players. It is really nice for BA.
Forces of War is literally Easyarmy. It's the exact same application by the same guy, plus nice Battlefront graphics on Battlefront's slow-rear end website.

Easyarmy's still out there, but apparently you can't unlock new lists any more, only use the ones that you've unlocked previously, maybe? I dunno, I don't actually use it. I also don't know if they'll shut it down and make you buy the lists again once Forces is up and running.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Easy Army is going to stick around for a year or so, possibly more, BF keeps extending the time to make people happy.

You can't buy new lists on Easy Army but until it shutsdown you can still use it if you already had an account. This is all info direct from battlefront.

The groaning about it sounds like classic grognard hatred for anything new or different from what they are used to.

Easy army was always a temporary thing (the guy running Easy Army stated this many times long before Forces of War was even a rumor) and the manchildern acting like they honestly believed the :10bux: they spent on a internet website would entitle them to something in perpetuity should have known better. I knew this full well and still bought just about every book on there, and I couldn't care less.

Assuming they don't gently caress it up by having an even worse interface than easy army did, Forces of War looks like it will be great.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've used it frequently for Kings of War - will the whole thing expire, or just the FoW section?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh hey. Forces of War stores passwords in plaintext. This is not how you're supposed to handle customer data. :eng99:

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Only tangentially relevant to this thread, crossposting from the Warhammer thread.

My friend and I are currently preparing a Warhammer conversion of the SAGA ruleset for WFB models we have lying around from our youth.

Here's the first battle board, a straight conversion of the Vikings to Beastmen.

Dwarves are next up. Here are the first couple old-school thunderers (Anglo Danish Levy archers)

E: Here are the dwarves

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Anglo Saxons would work really well for Goblins, there really into bonuses for size 10+ units are a bit more hordey than the welsh.

This is a good point.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 13, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

Battlefront literally ships nothing from New Zealand despite being from there, that was the point
Ah, right. That's really weird and inconvenient.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Only tangentially relevant to this thread, crossposting from the Warhammer thread.

My friend and I are currently preparing a Warhammer conversion of the SAGA ruleset for WFB models we have lying around from our youth.

Here's the first battle board, a straight conversion of the Vikings to Beastmen.

Dwarves are next up. Here are the first couple old-school thunderers (Anglo Danish Levy archers)

Weird, I just finished making a Viking warband out of Dwarves and I had no clue about the Warhammer conversion of the SAGA ruleset. I'll post pics later.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Weird, I just finished making a Viking warband out of Dwarves and I had no clue about the Warhammer conversion of the SAGA ruleset. I'll post pics later.

It's nothing official, just something I'm doing on photoshop when I have spare time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

It's nothing official, just something I'm doing on photoshop when I have spare time.

Well it's still an interesting coincidence. I take it the rules are unchanged, you just reskinned everything?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Numlock posted:

The groaning about it sounds like classic grognard hatred for anything new or different from what they are used to.

Easy army was always a temporary thing (the guy running Easy Army stated this many times long before Forces of War was even a rumor) and the manchildern acting like they honestly believed the :10bux: they spent on a internet website would entitle them to something in perpetuity should have known better. I knew this full well and still bought just about every book on there, and I couldn't care less.

Assuming they don't gently caress it up by having an even worse interface than easy army did, Forces of War looks like it will be great.

What the gently caress is this, it's like some bizarro post-fact justification that it's okay to have to rebuy army lists which don't even have all the special rules attached or anything.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Yep. I'm looking at Anglo Danish for dwarves, Byzantines for Empire and Welsh for Goblins.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Yep. I'm looking at Anglo Danish for dwarves, Byzantines for Empire and Welsh for Goblins.

Anglo Saxons would work really well for Goblins, there really into bonuses for size 10+ units are a bit more hordey than the welsh.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I had to go Viking=Dwarf because Berserkers=Troll Slayers, but Anglo Danish works too.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My brother picked up the D Day Bolt Action set recently and wants me to try it with him. Coming from (mostly) 40k, but also having played Infinity, DzC and Warmachine how is the playstyle of this ruleset? I know nothing other than "turns are diced by drawing die from a bag."

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Leo Showers posted:

What the gently caress is this, it's like some bizarro post-fact justification that it's okay to have to rebuy army lists which don't even have all the special rules attached or anything.

Yup there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm merely commenting that you post contains some really bizarre reasoning, such as but not limited to being okay with throwing your own money away, justifying the move that it's going to "be better", and then reinforcing your position with "you mad" and "nerds getting mad over change"

Honestly I only had a couple of books on EasyArmy, but hooooly poo poo you bought almost all of them but it's okay because you could "care less". Hell, I don't even play Flames of War anymore so :shrug: