Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My secretary refers to my bourbon drawer as "the Friday Drawer." Little does she know it is also the Saturday through Thursday Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Folly posted:

Use "committee.." or "committee--" or whatever special character you choose like you use ss (whole word only) to change into the section symbol.

Edit: oh ya, now I remember. When it autocorrects and you don't want it to, I'm pretty sure you use ctrl+Y to set it back to normal and it won't try it again.

This requires me to memorize what even has an abbreviation, something I'm also not interested in doing :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Macs own for some things. alt+6 give you §

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just set shift-ctrl-s to give me that in Word, you can assign your own hotkeys.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks, just switched to Mac a few moths ago and I've been using my old "sec " autocorrect.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
In other legal news.

Never mind. Discretion prevailed. Nothing to see here.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 12, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Thanks, just switched to Mac a few moths ago and I've been using my old "sec " autocorrect.

There are tons of little features like that around. You can get almost every special character that way. Accenting letters and typing special characters are super easy in all contexts on osx.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Mr. Nice! posted:

alt-21 (21 on the keypad) gives you the same thing on Windows.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Folly posted:

Use "committee.." or "committee--" or whatever special character you choose like you use ss (whole word only) to change into the section symbol.

jesus, just type alt+0167 for §

alt+0182 for ¶

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the uspto form paragraphs call it 35 USC 102, and I used to go through and change it to 35 U.S.C. § 102 and then I realized I don't give a gently caress :colbert:

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Roger_Mudd posted:

Find the way another case cites to your case.

In google scholar I click "How cited" and then randomly pick one of the citing cases. What makes my life sooooo difficult is having to use "paste special" to get rid of the hyperlink and then go back and add the italics.

ActusRhesus posted:

I also love when completely on point case-law is ignored, allowing me to write

"As this Court noted in State v. Blah blah blah, a case not cited in the defendant's brief..."

AR - credit yourself another 0.2hr for mentoring.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the uspto form paragraphs call it 35 USC 102, and I used to go through and change it to 35 U.S.C. § 102 and then I realized I don't give a gently caress :colbert:

Meanwhile, I go through and change "§ 102" to "§102" because, I dunno :stare:.

Hey - why are we getting calls about allowable subject matter and examiner amendments all of a sudden? I thought y'all's fiscal year end Sept. 30.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is it weird that I'm enjoying being a team lead on a doc review project?

I mean, designing the QC searches is like the most enjoyment I've had in any legal job.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
pre:
Diagnostic criteria for 301.7 Antisocial Personality Disorder

A. There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights
of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by the following: 

(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as 
indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;

(2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or 
conning others for personal profit or pleasure; and

(3) uttering the phrase, "designing the QC searches is like the most enjoyment 
I've had in any legal job."

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Omerta posted:

Currently working on an ERISA case. Probably my least favorite area of the law other than Title VII.

Easier just to write it out. Nobody cares if you write "publishing" instead of publ'g.

I save my shortcuts for form stuff: summjstandard, mtdstandard, 1331jx, 1332jx, and stuff like that makes it way faster to finish the procedural stuff than hunting through past orders.

I'm doing a lot of ERISA stuff at my job and ERISA sucks.

And regarding fantasy football, I finished the regular season with the second highest score in my league and still got bumped out of the playoffs, so no $1000 first prize for me. Next season I'm going to do an "All Play" league where you play every team each week. The matchup system is stupid. I never really liked the dynamic of the standard matchup system before, but this was enough to make me realize that it's dumb that I do it this way.

And the guy who didn't set his team, most leagues have their playoffs start in week 14. In a 12-team league, you usually have three weeks of playoffs (13, 14, and 16) with six teams making the playoffs.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Given how much you all seem to love formatting, you'd think lawyers would have started to learn LaTeX by now.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

You poor American suckers -- Canadians can pinpoint cite cases and legislation with 'para' and 's' for paragraph and section, and they even removed all the superfluous periods in the last round of amendments to the citation rules.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

LeschNyhan posted:

You poor American suckers -- Canadians can pinpoint cite cases and legislation with 'para' and 's' for paragraph and section, and they even removed all the superfluous periods in the last round of amendments to the citation rules.

but you're still canadian.

overall, I win.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Given how much you all seem to love formatting, you'd think lawyers would have started to learn LaTeX by now.

If the anal-retentive rule-driven types who go into law were capable of writing code, why wouldn't they just be programmers instead?

Petey fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 13, 2014

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Petey posted:

If the anal-retentive rule-driven types who go into law were capable of writing code, why wouldn't they just be programmers instead?

Programmers are merely antisocial. Lawyers also have a cinder of hate consuming their souls. Even if you start out as a programmer you gravitate toward law as your soul is consumed.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

patentmagus posted:

Programmers are merely antisocial. Lawyers also have a cinder of hate consuming their souls. Even if you start out as a programmer you gravitate toward law as your soul is consumed.

Shortly after I met my would-be husband, he told me that cynicism was the smoke rising from the ashes of burnt hopes and dreams. We started dating the next day. Soulmates. I'm surprised he's not going to law school.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Shortly after I met my would-be husband, he told me that cynicism was the smoke rising from the ashes of burnt hopes and dreams. We started dating the next day. Soulmates. I'm surprised he's not going to law school.

But did he have the cynicism to refer to marriage as a peculiar institution?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

patentmagus posted:

But did he have the cynicism to refer to marriage as a peculiar institution?

not then. probably now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ActusRhesus posted:

This explains so much about my life. Thank you.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Things that are nice: when a partner suddenly starts spelling your name exactly right and then offers to help you out with a personal goal of yours.

Because it's 5 am and you're both working.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The Senior Partner put his pencil down and looked up, and the Warszawa smiled.

"The S comes before the Z," said the Senior Partner, a playful glint in his eyes. He laughed, holding up the pad of yellow lined paper they'd been working on since midnight. Line after line, page after page, the young catamite's name scrawled again and again in graphite but every time spelled wrong...until now.

"I hear from the junior partners that you have personal goals," said the Senior Partner as he rolled his leather executive chair around the desk. The Partner's legs fit perfectly around the Warszawa's, two knobby sharkskin knees against the young man's Tom Ford-clad thighs. "Tell me about them."

The Warszawa licked his lips. This was as good a time as any, the sky outside the Senior Patner's windows a deep purple as the sun threatened to rise. The Warszawa slowly slipped to his knees and thought how far he'd come, how few others could say they'd seen their name spelled correctly on the Partner's pad.

"I do have a goal," he said, looking up into the Partner's face. "And that goal is yourggllmfffgglllllffff..."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

"The S comes before the Z," said the Senior Partner, a playful glint in his eyes. He laughed, holding up the pad of yellow lined paper they'd been working on since midnight. Line after line, page after page, the young catamite's name scrawled again and again in graphite but every time spelled wrong...until now.

"I hear from the junior partners that you have personal goals," said the Senior Partner as he rolled his leather executive chair around the desk. The Partner's legs fit perfectly around the Warszawa's, two knobby sharkskin knees against the young man's Tom Ford-clad thighs. "Tell me about them."

The Warszawa licked his lips. This was as good a time as any, the sky outside the Senior Patner's windows a deep purple as the sun threatened to rise. The Warszawa slowly slipped to his knees and thought how far he'd come, how few others could say they'd seen their name spelled correctly on the Partner's pad.

"I do have a goal," he said, looking up into the Partner's face. "And that goal is yourggllmfffgglllllffff..."

you owe me a new keyboard. That poo poo was gold.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

the truth is somehow actually worse than this

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Also lol at the idea of the sun rising before 7am or my wrists opening to gush blood.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is excellent.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
God the use of the word catamite brings a single tear to my eye

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

You really should just quit law and start writing smut.

I'd read it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

You really should just quit law and start writing smut.

I'd read it.

Probably more lucrative and definitely more respectable than lawyering.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

the old man's still got it

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ActusRhesus posted:

*pulls obligatory prosecutor's bottle of scotch out of drawer and pours*

Sounds legit.

That takes us back to the greatness of Jack McCoy!

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
I wish ERISA were that sexy. :(

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MoFauxHawk posted:

I wish ERISA were that sexy. :(

You're literally doing the exact job you wanted to do though, right?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Never leave us, Phil.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I have a biglaw interview :ohdear:

Any tips to not gently caress up as a lateral candidate

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007