Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

prefect posted:

I would watch Larry David as the Vulture. :allears:

Only if Jeff Garlin was Rhino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

prefect posted:

oh I would've been in line day one for that poo poo, but then again I was in like day one for Spider-Man 3

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If Spider-Man comes back to Marvel you can say goodbye to Captain Marvel and Black Panther.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Malkovich was just one of the names that got thrown around, along with Ben Kingsley and Larry loving David

Nope, Malkovich and Hathaway both signed on before the production fell apart

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

If Spider-Man comes back to Marvel you can say goodbye to Captain Marvel and Black Panther.

Why?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

fatherboxx posted:

Yes that would play out real well for Marvel.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

I'm assuming he's suggesting that they'd make room in their schedule for a movie that is guaranteed to make them a bajillion dollars, rather than portions of a bajillion.

"Spider-man, back in Marvel's capable hands! The people who brought you THE AVENGERS bring you what has traditionally been America's favorite superhero!"*

*Probably either Spidey of Batman if we're talking over the last 25 or so years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think they'd just stretch their resources and do an additional movie, and move a summer blockbuster to spring or Christmas

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

I think they'd just stretch their resources and do an additional movie, and move a summer blockbuster to spring or Christmas

Oh yeah, I don't think they'd cancel their plans for the next 3 years of filming or so.

There would probably be a lot more Spider-man things after that point and less other things, though.

It doesn't matter either way, Marvel isn't getting him back anytime soon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
To make a new character called Spiderman, no dash. The son of millionaires, one night while attending a movie his parents are gunned down by a criminal. As he grows up, he comes to believe that criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot. He remembers a traumatic incident as a child when he fell into a spider hole, and decides that he must become a spider.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

To make a new character called Spiderman, no dash. The son of millionaires, one night while attending a movie his parents are gunned down by a criminal. As he grows up, he comes to believe that criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot. He remembers a traumatic incident as a child when he fell into a spider hole, and decides that he must become a spider.

Here is a better origin

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is a better origin

I laugh at the same part every single time, it's just too good.

Also Raws al-ghul controls Ninja Group, which I'm fairly certain is an investment firm.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A Vulture appearance needs to have Dominic Fortune in it too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

theflyingorc posted:

I laugh at the same part every single time, it's just too good.

Also Raws al-ghul controls Ninja Group, which I'm fairly certain is an investment firm.

Not even kidding, I want to see this made so bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the thing I still find kinda weird about it is, I can get why Raimi didn't like Venom as a silver age comics fan, but you would think that the guy who did the Evil Dead trilogy would jump at the chance to include a slime-dripping, toothy monster in his Spider-Man movie, especially after that super Evil Dead-ish scene in Spider-Man 2 with Doc Ock in the emergency room.

I think he's said he's come around to the character. Could've been fan pandering, but I dunno. Raimi likes monsters. He might've just read the right story.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Everyone likes Doctor Jackstraw, the abnormal drugs trafficker (and is he a trafficker in abnormal drugs or a drugs trafficker that is abnormal? The answer is yes) but I always liked Tougon, the Chief of Mafia. I always pictured a bunch of gangster-types in suits, and then leading them is this giant fur-wearing barbarian dude lookin like he walked in off the set of Fist of the North Star.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

prefect posted:

"Spider Man is black now?! I mean...not that's there anything wrong with that."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

theflyingorc posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think they'd cancel their plans for the next 3 years of filming or so.

I also don't think they'd throw away IP's that have a strong chance of selling merchandise to women and black folks. Spider-Man will move merch whether there's a movie or not.

I'm curious about how they'll do the Inhumans. However they do it, I'm just happy that we'll be able to buy a plush Lockjaw.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also per the Sony hack, the Russo Bros. are directing Infinity War.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

The more I read of these leaked Sony Emails in relation to the movie side of things, the more it seems that that Movie Execs are really just horrible message board posters.

Like some of the messages on this (or the other leaked ones about the Steve Jobs Biopic/ the film about Cleopatra) are just missing a really dumb user name and some "u mad bro?" pictures interspersed in them.

I worked for a Hollywood exec for a few years, and you would be horrified. Do you remember the producer that Tom Cruise played in Tropic Thunder? Imagine an industry that is 49% that guy and 49% Jeremy Piven from Entourage.

Imagine every one of them is constantly angry at creative people for wanting to make creative decisions instead of basing all artistic output on extremely suspect math. Imagine people that sleep 3 hours a night for twenty years so that they can be awake to yell at overseas distribution people or overseas finance people. Imagine people whose only interaction with the intellectual properties they're in charge of is a Powerpoint presentation worked up by an agent who has also never interacted with the property, based on a 45 page synopsis done by a terrified intern who was told to scribe positive write-up that pushes in the direction of Twilight or whatever is popular, regardless of context or quality, and imagine the only thing the agent read was the page one bullet points. Imagine everyone is trying to cover their own rear end while simultaneously taking credit for everything good that has ever happened.

The entire industry is powered by rage-fueled one-upsman who make every decision based on uninformed or irrelevantly informed rear end-pull.

It's a glorious waking nightmare where nothing means anything and everything is for sale. It's a miracle that any movie has ever been made and that it's all still so lucrative.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

prefect posted:

The Sinister Six movie should just be centered around Larry David as the Vulture just getting in all sorts of awkward and inappropriate everyday situations with the other villains.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bbf2 posted:

The Sinister Six movie should just be centered around Larry David as the Vulture just getting in all sorts of awkward and inappropriate everyday situations with the other villains.

Jerry Seinfeld as Mysterio.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bbf2 posted:

I would watch the hell out of a Sinister Six movie that was like the live-action Tick TV show, where it's people wearing costumes and talking to each other a lot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

...their solution for solving their Spider-Man problem is to hope that Stan Lee makes some new characters or stories in the comics that they can steal.

Yeah. If there's one thing working against Marvel it's a lack of characters. Jesus Christ.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I like the fact that that guy at Sony seems to think that a single 91 year old Man is still responsible for Marvel's entire creative output and decisions, and even if that was true that he would voluntarily help out Sony's franchise instead of making decisions to help Marvel Studios.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

prefect posted:

I would watch the hell out of a Sinister Six movie that was like the live-action Tick TV show, where it's people wearing costumes and talking to each other a lot.
Superior Foes of Spider-Man: The Movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Superior Foes would work great as a miniseries. Something like Netflix would be perfect for it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

I like the fact that that guy at Sony seems to think that a single 91 year old Man is still responsible for Marvel's entire creative output and decisions, and even if that was true that he would voluntarily help out Sony's franchise instead of making decisions to help Marvel Studios.

I feel like they maybe knew enough to know that Bane and Venom and Winter Soldier and others are relatively recent creations so they are hoping the Spider-Man comics will produce some great new characters.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Thank you for this.

I finally got around to watching ASM2 and thought it was pretty damned good. I liked both of the Webb movies much more than than the Raimi ones. The criticisms about it being busy and over-plotted are pretty spot on but beyond that I thought both movies were great. Harry/Green Goblin was rushed definitely. I'd rather they took out most of the father story from both films and used that time to build the Harry/Goblin arc and establish the friendship a bit more.

Electro was a tad over the top as well but I found it forgivable and generally non-distracting. The thing I liked most about ASM and ASM2 was the relationship between Gwen and Peter. Kirsten and Tobey's scenes bored the gently caress out of me in the trilogy but I though Garfield and Stone were pretty great in their roles and didn't drag the movie down with the romance element.

I'm starting to wonder what's wrong with me, actually. I liked IM2, Man of Steel, Incredible Hulk and both AMS films but they all seem to get a lot of hate around here.

I think the Raimi movies have aged horribly and I honestly can not sit down and watch them. At all. Not even ironically. The costumes (except Spideys). The obligatory post 9-11 WE ARE NEW YOWK scenes. It all loving sucks. Except for JK Simmons. Who someone just needs to give a pile of money to so he can be J Jonah Jameson for life.

But ASM2 has only grown worse over time. There's a good movie in there somewhere but those hack screenwriters completely trashed everything I loved about ASM1 and ruined it. They overplayed way too much on the Parker Legacy stuff, didn't really establish a strong foundation for Harry or any of his relationships. The tonal shifts in the movie are just loving weird. From almost Adam West Batman camp to very serious and then we're back to lighthearted fun and teenage romance and now we're back to...I don't know, corporate meetings and board rooms and then off to camp land again.

There's some good acting in there, but it is hard to see because of some of the horrible dialogue. And there's one really powerful scene which I think was played out perfectly. But that...30 minutes or so doesn't excuse the other two hours.

I still love ASM1 and I blame most of that on a studio edit hatchet job. But ASM2 is garbage. I bought the DVD, watched it once and I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lobok posted:

I feel like they maybe knew enough to know that Bane and Venom and Winter Soldier and others are relatively recent creations so they are hoping the Spider-Man comics will produce some great new characters.

Like Silk! The extra Spider-man who was there all along but hiding and is a girl and also not as good as regular Spider-man.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm willing to excuse Raimi of a lot of sins since he also gave us the awesome Spiderman vs Doc Ock fight, which was probably the best superhero fight put to screen until Cap vs Winter solider like ten years later.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

I worked for a Hollywood exec for a few years

Did you tell him about your Superman idea?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Like Silk! The extra Spider-man who was there all along but hiding and is a girl and also not as good as regular Spider-man.

Considering they wanted a female character led Spidey movie, possibly with an original character this was closer to being a possibility than we ever suspected.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

But ASM2 has only grown worse over time.

Dude...the movie came out 7 months ago. Not that that negates your criticisms, but it's a little early to talk about it aging poorly. If you liked it at first and then didn't, you probably just had the "I just walked out of a new movie" high.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Dacap posted:

Considering they wanted a female character led Spidey movie, possibly with an original character this was closer to being a possibility than we ever suspected.

Does Sony own Spider Woman?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Does Sony own Spider Woman?

I don't think she's considered a part of the franchise but I doubt Marvel would ever use her in a movie with that name because of brand confusion. It could be one of those things where the rights aren't settled until someone wants to use her.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Did you tell him about your Superman idea?

If only! I did, at his request, write dozens of pages of coverage for a terrible biopic drama idea, which he dropped and decided to turn into a terrible product-cash-in kids movie idea that he wanted to be "exactly like Goonies," which then required an unpaid weekend's worth of all nighters to draft a complete script treatment out of thin air, which he read, and hated, even though his assistant loved it and compared it favorably to Goonies, after which he admitted he's never seen Goonies and has no idea what it is.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Buddington posted:

Dude...the movie came out 7 months ago. Not that that negates your criticisms, but it's a little early to talk about it aging poorly. If you liked it at first and then didn't, you probably just had the "I just walked out of a new movie" high.

I actually don't mean aging. I just mean I saw it in theaters and I felt weird about it. I see it at home and its just so loving bad. It isn't an age thing its just that it is a really bad movie

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Jerry Seinfeld as Mysterio.

Only if he's just playing Jerry Seinfeld as Mysterio. He cracked after Bee Movie.

Personally I'd be up for Jeffrey Tambor as Vulture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd think if they wanted to have Spider-woman, they'd just have "Jessica Drew, Agent of Shield".

• Locked thread