Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If you don't need something quite as professional as that, most newer Asus Routers can connect via a 3G/4G USB modem on stock firmware.

You won't be able to stick it out on the roof for maximum connectivity, like the Pepwave, but if you have decent enough signal indoors, it should work.

Maybe a really long USB extension cord would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

kid sinister posted:

Hmm, looks interesting. Is that thing a router and firewall too, or just a modem?

It's basically like the routers recommended in here, except all enterprisey and on steroids. Also has handy features like "give warnings about overages after exceeding X megs of transfer" etc. And it's hardend against environment better than SOHO crap. And you can connect big fuckoff cellular antennas to it in case you're getting lovely reception.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

It's basically like the routers recommended in here, except all enterprisey and on steroids. Also has handy features like "give warnings about overages after exceeding X megs of transfer" etc. And it's hardend against environment better than SOHO crap. And you can connect big fuckoff cellular antennas to it in case you're getting lovely reception.

Believe it or not, my hotspot came with external ports for 2 antennas, so I could get all crazy with exterior antennas if necessary.

edit: Could anyone help me getting this hotspot connected to my router? I've got an Asus RT-N16 running the latest Shibby USB firmware, trying to connect via USB to an AT&T Unite. Well, that's what AT&T wants to call it. It's branded Netgear on the bottom, and poking around in the hotspot's touchscreen (yes, it has a touchscreen), it's more likely a Sierra AirCard 770S. In fact, the logs in Tomato seem to try and set up a Sierra USB driver, but something must not be set up right. As far as the "USB and NAS" section in Tomato, my hotspot never shows up in the Attached devices list. So what am I doing wrong?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 10, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Due to some good sales and crap network performance at home, I bought a TP-Link AC750 and Asus N600 adaptor so that I could use 5GHz in my crowded airspace.

I am very happy that even on 2.4GHz, I am getting so much better performance: not sure if it is because the router antenna is better than my cable company piece of crap - or whether said piece of crap had problems handling more than 4 simultaneous connection

According to the dongle software, I get 300Mbps for 2.5GHz, but only 150Mbps for 5GHz. I've got everything set to default/auto - what's going wrong?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DaNzA posted:

Maybe a really long USB extension cord would help.

The max length of USB is pretty short and also a pretty hard cutoff. You can get active extenders, but if you push USB beyond like, 25', it will start loving up.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

According to the dongle software, I get 300Mbps for 2.5GHz, but only 150Mbps for 5GHz. I've got everything set to default/auto - what's going wrong?

I ran into a similar problem after converting a Netgear AC1450 to dd-wrt. The 5ghz stuff can operate across a 20mhz, 40mhz or 80mhz spectrums. The larger the spectrum, the more bandwidth is available. With default settings the 5ghz channel did not run any faster than the 2.4ghz one. Once I increased the spectrum and specified a channel, it picked right up. Also, 5ghz got a lot more reliable for me when I cranked up the transmit power.

Speaking of which, the 5ghz processor seems to average 58°C whereas before I cranked the power up it averaged 51°C. Hopefully this won't destroy the lifespan of the router.

Refurbished Netgear AC1450 are plentiful at the moment for around $75. Mine seems to have topped out at 440Mb/s (55MB/s) real-world throughput despite showing a 1100Mb/s connection.
vvvvvvvvvvvv

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 10, 2014

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Is it possible to get a decent AC router for $120 or less in the US?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Above Our Own posted:

Is it possible to get a decent AC router for $120 or less in the US?

I think the Asus RT-AC66R is the only one that fits.

Edit: I guess the TP-Link C7 might also fall into the 'decent' category.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 10, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rexxed posted:

This is pretty much the only one that's getting recommended because it has an Intel chipset and Intel's own card has vanished from the market and is being marked up:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF8K0O6/?tag=pcpapi-20
So this thing finally came in from Newegg. Compared to my old 802.11n Realtek card that only had 1 functioning antenna, it's actually a fair bit slower using Speedtest.net. I'm connected to a WNDR3700v2 on 2.4GHz since the 5GHz connection is very spotty. I've tried both the newest drivers from Intel's site and the slightly older drivers on Gigabyte's site. Channel bonding is set to auto.

What could be wrong? According Gargoyle Router, the signal strength is a bit weaker and the connection speed jumps around though it's generally higher.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 11, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Josh Lyman posted:

So this thing finally came in from Newegg. Compared to my old 802.11n Realtek card that only had 1 functioning antenna, it's actually a fair bit slower using Speedtest.net. I'm connected to a WNDR3700v2 on 2.4GHz since the 5GHz connection is very spotty. I've tried both the newest drivers from Intel's site and the slightly older drivers on Gigabyte's site. Channel bonding is set to auto.

What could be wrong? According Gargoyle Router, the signal strength is a bit weaker and the connection speed jumps around though it's generally higher.

That seems weird, but lower speeds on speedtest may not be telling the whole story besides connection speed. Are there competing wireless networks that could be using the same channels and causing intermittant noise? It may be worth trying a different channel if you have anyone else in the area using the same one.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Roommates and I keep getting kicked from Destiny due to our university servers viewing the traffic as peer-to-peer traffic, resulting in getting kicked every 5 minutes at times. I have a VPN and I thought I could setup the router itself to go through the VPN, so they might view the traffic as just us connecting to some server a state away. Would this work and if so, is there a guide somewhere for a netgear router, or something close enough, to set it up without blowing up the internet? I read OpenVPN is the fastest, which is necessary so it's not super laggy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rexxed posted:

That seems weird, but lower speeds on speedtest may not be telling the whole story besides connection speed. Are there competing wireless networks that could be using the same channels and causing intermittant noise? It may be worth trying a different channel if you have anyone else in the area using the same one.
There was only a gap of about 15 minutes between testing my old Realtek and installing the new Intel card and testing it so the wireless environment would not have changed. Regardless, I live in a residential area and my house is on the corner, so there's virtually no interference.

The old card has two 5dBi dipole antennas while the Intel has a single 2dBi omnidirectional. I'm not sure how much difference, if any, that would make.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 11, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Comatoast posted:

I ran into a similar problem after converting a Netgear AC1450 to dd-wrt. The 5ghz stuff can operate across a 20mhz, 40mhz or 80mhz spectrums. The larger the spectrum, the more bandwidth is available. With default settings the 5ghz channel did not run any faster than the 2.4ghz one. Once I increased the spectrum and specified a channel, it picked right up. Also, 5ghz got a lot more reliable for me when I cranked up the transmit power.

Thanks for the suggestion: but I am not sure that is the problem as it seems to be a hard cut-off. i.e. both bands them may occasionally drop below 300/150Mbps, but neither will ever go above it.

Makes me think that some config is wrong that prevents 5GHz from running at full speed.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Quick question, looking for approval.

I haven't bought a router in ages. I'm currently using a Linksys CM100 cable modem and a WRT54GL with DD-WRT and they have both lived a good life, but at this point I'm ready to move on. After skimming through a few pages here I saw this router linked.

Am I doing a good thing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

I haven't bought a router in ages. I'm currently using a Linksys CM100 cable modem and a WRT54GL with DD-WRT and they have both lived a good life, but at this point I'm ready to move on. After skimming through a few pages here I saw this router linked.

Am I doing a good thing?
I've not seen anything but effusive praise for Motorla cable modems.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I've not seen anything but effusive praise for Motorla cable modems.

I'm having a hard time telling, but is that sarcasm or real?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

rotaryfun posted:

I'm having a hard time telling, but is that sarcasm or real?

It's real. Motorola makes good poo poo. I have a similar modem and that exact router and coming from a WRT54G, I'm happier than a pig in poo poo.

I might look at a 6141, since it does 8 channel bonding for a bit of future proofing. Other than that, pull the trigger.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Other than receiving a bum 6141 fresh out of the box a few weeks ago, yeah their modems are great. DOA units can happen with just about any product so I don't hold it against them. It was just surprising since I've purchased probably a dozen Motorola modems over the years and this was the first DOA one. I replaced it with a 6183 anyway and now it's all good.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I have a 6121 and just got my ISP to bump me to 110mbps.

I seem to be getting 100mbps on the regular; which is fine. Is there any advantage in getting a 6141 in reliability or anything? Thinking the answer is no, but doesnt hurt to ask.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks guys! Opted for the next day delivery. Should have done this yesterday so I'd have the 2 day delivery and not have to deal with the weekend, but $10 for 1 day isn't bad at all.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Apropos modem chat: I have a Motorola 6120 (same as 6121 in a different case) for sale in SA-Mart in case anyone wants to pick up their own modem on the cheap.

Edit: Sold!

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 12, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does it make sense to get a cheap $20 or $25 wireless router, put openWRT on it, and use it as a wireless bridge to ethernet for my desktop under the assumption it has stronger antennas than a wireless adapter?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

Does it make sense to get a cheap $20 or $25 wireless router, put openWRT on it, and use it as a wireless bridge to ethernet for my desktop under the assumption it has stronger antennas than a wireless adapter?

Any reason you're not considering powerline? The adapters are $50 for a pair and generally "just work" once installed. If you're pulling your hair with Wifi it may be worth a try.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Every now and then, the router at my place loses its internet connection. Turning it off and on again brings the connection back, 100% of the time (so I know the issue isn't with the provider or IP settings or anything like that). Would regular power cycling prevent that sort of thing from happening in the first place? Or is that type of outage completely random and just something I'll have to deal with?

I'd give more specifics, but I've had this happen with two completely different routers, in two different apartments. So I'm wondering if there are just some general principles I can keep in mind here.

If the proactive power cycling can help, what are some good options for automating that? I'm seeing some timed power strips that look good, but I'm wondering if there are some items designed with networking in mind. Also, any sort of remote control of the outlet is a plus, as I'd like to be able to reset the router while my landlord isn't home if need be.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Minidust posted:

Every now and then, the router at my place loses its internet connection. Turning it off and on again brings the connection back, 100% of the time (so I know the issue isn't with the provider or IP settings or anything like that). Would regular power cycling prevent that sort of thing from happening in the first place? Or is that type of outage completely random and just something I'll have to deal with?

I'd give more specifics, but I've had this happen with two completely different routers, in two different apartments. So I'm wondering if there are just some general principles I can keep in mind here.

If the proactive power cycling can help, what are some good options for automating that? I'm seeing some timed power strips that look good, but I'm wondering if there are some items designed with networking in mind. Also, any sort of remote control of the outlet is a plus, as I'd like to be able to reset the router while my landlord isn't home if need be.

You shouldn't be having to regularly be cycling the power on any decent router.

And it's only that low because I had to move it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Is there any point in buying a 300$ (Canadian) router like the nether nighthawk 7500? http://m.newegg.ca/Product/index?itemnumber=33-122-617
Or equivalent vs an AirPort Extreme?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

This is a good idea because you could boost the power on your routers to possibly get longer range, but otherwise I think it's a bad idea. It might work awesome, it might suck, a powerline or moca adapter will probably be more reliable.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Is there any point in buying a 300$ (Canadian) router like the nether nighthawk 7500? http://m.newegg.ca/Product/index?itemnumber=33-122-617
Or equivalent vs an AirPort Extreme?

Nothing but :dong:, apple routers are nice although not as customizable as other routers.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I upgraded my Linksys WRT54GL today to an ASUS RT-N66U. My mind is blown. I went from topping out at 16Mbit/sec on the Comcast speedtest to 60 Mbit/sec over wireless (my internet plan is 50Mbit). Aside from that, the signal strength is better everywhere in the house and the feature set is much more robust. Some of the Engrish in the router configuration settings is pretty bad, though.

I replaced the Linksys because the internet would periodically hang and become unresponsive over wireless. The difference in speed makes me wish I'd have upgraded a long time ago.

I guess if gigabit internet ever makes its way here, I'll have to upgrade again, though.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I've been using the RT-N66U with TomatoUSB for about a year now (pretty much 100% uptime since the day I got it), it's working great. My old RT-N16 seemed to have a problem with overheating (even though I wasn't loving with the clocks or anything) where the wireless would randomly die, but no issues like that yet with the N66U. Also, the wireless is stable running G/N concurrently, which I never could make work on my old RT-N16. So yeah it's a solid router from my experience with it at.

Can anyone recommend a good PCI-E (or PCI) wireless card? I'm moving to a new place next month where I won't be able to run a wired connection, so it's time to finally plug one in.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AceSnyp3r posted:

I've been using the RT-N66U with TomatoUSB for about a year now (pretty much 100% uptime since the day I got it), it's working great. My old RT-N16 seemed to have a problem with overheating (even though I wasn't loving with the clocks or anything) where the wireless would randomly die, but no issues like that yet with the N66U. Also, the wireless is stable running G/N concurrently, which I never could make work on my old RT-N16. So yeah it's a solid router from my experience with it at.

Can anyone recommend a good PCI-E (or PCI) wireless card? I'm moving to a new place next month where I won't be able to run a wired connection, so it's time to finally plug one in.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF8K0O6/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

I've been very happy with this

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Minidust posted:

Sounds like a fault with the power supply, try a different cable or transformer if there is one. Do you suffer from brown outs?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

AceSnyp3r posted:

I had read that the IPv6 functionality was a little iffy, but all I did was enable it in the settings and power cycle the modem and router and it was working fine. I'm just rolling with the first party firmware, at the moment.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

rotaryfun posted:

Am I doing a good thing?

If you don't believe your rotten cable company will ever give you more than 171 Mbps download speed, go for it.

The next modem up, the 6141, goes up to 343 Mbps, but that's only a good idea if there are ISPs that will offer that much speed in your area. I only bought a 6141 on the off chance I might hit Lotto and be able to afford Time Warner's Ultimate 300.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

If you don't believe your rotten cable company will ever give you more than 171 Mbps download speed, go for it.

Yeah I don't ever see that happening. I live a bit a pretty rural/country area and these guys are our only cable option.

edit:

haha I was just looking at their site and boy they sure do hate south carolina

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 13, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

37th Chamber posted:

You shouldn't be having to regularly be cycling the power on any decent router.

And it's only that low because I had to move it.
What router do you suggest? I just bought a POS Netgear (WNR3500Lv2) and am sorely disappointed by it. Its fine with one wireless device, and goes to hell with 3, so badly that I may as well not try using the internet. Thankfully it will be easy to return this pile.

I am considering a RT-N66U.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Are there any glaring flaws with the Asus RT-N66U default firmware that necessitate putting Tomato on it? I'd rather avoid messing around with it, but if there's a legitimate performance or quality of life advantage I'd definitely want to take advantage of it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Third Man posted:

Anyone run pfsense on the PCEngines APU.1C? I'm looking for a good project and I would like to install it as a home router/firewall/vpn.

I have it at home on a 100/10 connection and I'm also supporting them commercially at a dozen customer sites with heavy VoIP usage. Great hardware.

edit: Use a mSATA drive. gently caress SD cards. It's a few tens of dollars difference and it's a massive performance difference. The SD cards work, but holy crap are they slow in comparison. Installing packages on my SD model, even with a Samsung Evo series SD card, is slower than my first pfSense box that ran a Pentium II. The mSATA boxes are just instant.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 13, 2014

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Brett824 posted:

Are there any glaring flaws with the Asus RT-N66U default firmware that necessitate putting Tomato on it? I'd rather avoid messing around with it, but if there's a legitimate performance or quality of life advantage I'd definitely want to take advantage of it.

Kind of, but not really. There's Merlin's version, which is based off of the official releases and is supposed to be cross compatible between jumping between official and Merlin's. He basically adds in just a few tweaks to perfect it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Amazon's got up to 50% off some TP-Link products in today's special deals if anyone was looking for one of their products: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_1046...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Amazon's got up to 50% off some TP-Link products in today's special deals if anyone was looking for one of their products: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_1046...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Oh man, I'm really interested in picking up that Archer C7 for 60 bucks. Thanks a bunch for this, Rexxed!