Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Accordion Man posted:

Shadow of Mordor is cool.

wb-acquired monolith doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

wb-acquired monolith doesn't count

but then fear doesnt count either :confused:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
wb published fear but they didnt own monolith as an inhouse dev studio until 2012 im pretty sure

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
whenever monolith went bankrupt again and wb bought them and netherrealm started making mortal kombat. whenever that happened.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyway the point is the FEAR owns as anyone with that username can surely attest.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

fear was fun but i wish it had been scary too. the only atmosphere i remember was 'office building at night'

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Kewpuh posted:

i wish dishonored didnt for some reason give me a massive headache to play like borderlands 1 did because id like to play it out and see how the story goes. like it makes the part behind my eyeballs hurt

Try changing the FOV and the head bob amount in the options. They patched more options into the PC version a while ago because people were complaining about motion sickness.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hog Inspector posted:

fear was fun but i wish it had been scary too. the only atmosphere i remember was 'office building at night'

I think I'm the only person who actually liked the FEAR levels but the juxtoposition of the horror stuff with the completely mundane environments was really cool. plus it made the secret lab bits at the end feel much more significant

also shooting up a realistically-done office level will never not be cathartic. i hope that doesn't make me sound psychotic

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

Adventure games are the poo poo. The King's Quest remakes, Journey, Dreamfall... all awesome games. I'm psyched about the new KQ game. It looks kinda platformy but I don't give a poo poo. Package a turd in a KQ box and I'll open it. MASK OF ETERNITY DID NOTHING WRONG
That trailer for the new King's Quest reminds me of Flashback and Another World.

There are worse fates for a series, I suppose.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Alain Post posted:

I think I'm the only person who actually liked the FEAR levels but the juxtoposition of the horror stuff with the completely mundane environments was really cool. plus it made the secret lab bits at the end feel much more significant

also shooting up a realistically-done office level will never not be cathartic. i hope that doesn't make me sound psychotic

yeah fear might not have been terribly scary but it was atmospheric as poo poo

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm playing Far Cry 4 and they want me to be stealthy allll the time and it's loving boring

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I played Duck Tales over Thanksgiving break, go to the last level, but couldn't beat it before I went back to school.

Now I just finished finals and am back home to complete the game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Finally you'll find out what life is like here in Duckburg

It's like a hurricane

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I bought System Shock 2. Can I play it without mods? If not, which ones do I need. Or should I go get and play System Shock 1 first.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Just play the game, dude.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There's an unofficial SS2 patch, sounds pretty legit
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140088

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think the new wolfenstein is overrated, as is shadow of mordor. well anyway cya

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Accordion Man posted:

Shadow of Mordor is cool.

I can't get into it the same way I couldn't really get into the Batman or Assassin Creed games. It looks cool but meh, something about it puts me off.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's easy as poo poo, even easier than Batman. If you're half competent at video games the Nemesis system turns into a parade of Orcs that didn't get beheaded, much like a bowl full of turds that didn't flush.

The only difficult sections are the forced stealth which is still a thing. I remember Shadow of Rome had these awesome arena battles with much more satisfying combat than Mordor, it also had lovely stealth sections though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

i think the new wolfenstein is overrated, as is shadow of mordor. well anyway cya

new wolfenstein is gamings ambrosia

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

It's easy as poo poo, even easier than Batman. If you're half competent at video games the Nemesis system turns into a parade of Orcs that didn't get beheaded, much like a bowl full of turds that didn't flush.

The only difficult sections are the forced stealth which is still a thing. I remember Shadow of Rome had these awesome arena battles with much more satisfying combat than Mordor, it also had lovely stealth sections though.

yeah basically, my experience of the nemesis system was a bunch of poo poo captains constantly as they all died everytime i met them. every now and again one would get me and id go right back and decapitate them :shrug:

Real hurthling! posted:

new wolfenstein is gamings ambrosia

its average

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

yeah basically, my experience of the nemesis system was a bunch of poo poo captains constantly as they all died everytime i met them. every now and again one would get me and id go right back and decapitate them :shrug:

its average

the SoM devotees claim you aren't playing the game right unless you constantly die to the same guy to make him a worthy opponent but uh gently caress that. balance your difficulty better devs.

also

idk stux its p. sweet how far did you get what was your favorite weapon?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the SoM devotees claim you aren't playing the game right unless you constantly die to the same guy to make him a worthy opponent but uh gently caress that. balance your difficulty better devs.

also

idk stux its p. sweet how far did you get what was your favorite weapon?

not very far at all really, i played a mix of stealth with the silenced pistol and moved to the auto shotgun and AR for going loud. i got the cutting tool and a bit past that before i got bored with it

and yeah i didn't know that it was all about constantly dying to them. i thought it was going to be like when you beat them they just get gravely injured and recover and come back stronger later on and become badass throughout the course of the game. because i was killing them constantly when they tried to run etc i just kept getting weaker and weaker captains and it just turned into an average batman clone.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

alien isolation is really good and my personal GOTY, if you like stealth/horror games buy it the next time it's on sale

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've always been ashamed I don't really enjoy the dark souls games.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm playing Far Cry 4 and they want me to be stealthy allll the time and it's loving boring
I'm playing Far Cry 4 and all the recent missions I've played involve fighting off multiple waves of enemies with no option for stealth and it's loving irritating. Ubisoft likes to give the illusion that their games allow multiple play styles but they rarely create missions where that's true.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

euphronius posted:

I love them to bits but it's definitely not a game for everyone so I think this is only normal. And I don't mean that in the condescending "bet it was too hard for you :smuggo:" way.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

euphronius posted:

I took a long time to bother trying Dark Souls 1 because the fanbase around it really turned me off. Same thing with Everything Platinum Games Does.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm terrible at fighting games and platinum games and have to play them on easy to get through them. i don't really like/get the gameplay in them but the insane plots and action scenes keep me playing.

Stux posted:

not very far at all really, i played a mix of stealth with the silenced pistol and moved to the auto shotgun and AR for going loud. i got the cutting tool and a bit past that before i got bored with it

and yeah i didn't know that it was all about constantly dying to them. i thought it was going to be like when you beat them they just get gravely injured and recover and come back stronger later on and become badass throughout the course of the game. because i was killing them constantly when they tried to run etc i just kept getting weaker and weaker captains and it just turned into an average batman clone.

the cutting tool gets ditched for the lasercraftwerk that you keep updating until its amazing. the ar gets a missile launcher attachment that you can dual wield, you murder an entire u boat crew, fly to the moon for an awesome moonraker parody mission, ride a giant mech on a rampage through a nazi prison, etc. plus the perk system is sweet.

yeah som is great fun but unless you are going to ocd over breeding the ultimate orcs to get the best rune drops (which are totally worthless because you're already too powerful) it doesn't have the staying power i thought it would.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 13, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ekster posted:

I love them to bits but it's definitely not a game for everyone so I think this is only normal. And I don't mean that in the condescending "bet it was too hard for you :smuggo:" way.

I've never owned a console since ps2 so getting used to the gamepad and camera was really a lot

I was actually going strong in ds2 actually and then there was a loving jumping puzzle or something and gently caress that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

euphronius posted:

I've never owned a console since ps2 so getting used to the gamepad and camera was really a lot

I was actually going strong in ds2 actually and then there was a loving jumping puzzle or something and gently caress that.

answer to every touchy jumping section: if you hit attack in the air you cancel your landing roll.

also i don't think there are too many mandatory routes in the game that require a lot of jumping, just to get items

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm terrible at fighting games and platinum games and have to play them on easy to get through them. i don't really like/get the gameplay in them but the insane plots and action scenes keep me playing.

the cutting tool gets ditched for the lasercraftwerk that you keep updating until its amazing. the ar gets a missile launcher attachment that you can dual wield, you murder an entire u boat crew, fly to the moon for an awesome moonraker parody mission, ride a giant mech on a rampage through a nazi prison, etc. plus the perk system is sweet.

yeah som is great fun but unless you are going to ocd over breeding the ultimate orcs to get the best rune drops (which are totally worthless because you're already too powerful) it doesn't have the staying power i thought it would.

that sounds great and all but the shooting just didn't gel with me and i found it just a bit dull. having ridiculous guns doesn't mean it still wouldn't have been dull for me sorry :(

euphronius posted:

if you think you have to do a jumping puzzle in a dark souls game you're probably missing something a lot easier

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i really hated ds for a long time but then i played ds2 for real and i really enjoyed it after learning some of the basic poo poo and builds and what constitutes a good build

like using a mace for 90% of the game because nothing resists strike damage

Beauyaka
Aug 16, 2005
!i!i!

Ularg posted:

I bought System Shock 2. Can I play it without mods? If not, which ones do I need. Or should I go get and play System Shock 1 first.

No reason to play SS1 first, although it would be a hilarious exercise. All you need to know about SS1 going into SS2: Shodan was an evil AI that took over a space station a while ago.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Kins posted:

I took a long time to bother trying Dark Souls 1 because the fanbase around it really turned me off. Same thing with Everything Platinum Games Does.

Kind of a dumb/petty reason. I mean think the Dark Souls fanbase is probably one of the worst.But letting a fanbase dictate why you don't want to play it is silly.... But at the same time I can't blame you considering the git gud scrub mentality the fanbase has. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 13, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Kind of a dumb reason. I mean think the Dark Souls fanbase is probably one of the worst, but you shouldn't let that deter you from trying it. I mean worst off, just avoid the thread.

I mean I can't blame you considering the git gud scrub mentality the fanbase has.
Oh, I did eventually try it (and MG Rising) and I enjoyed it, I'm just saying the loud-and-obnoxious fanbase turned me off of it for quite some time until I watched a friend play a bunch of it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dark Souls is good but the 'git good scrub' stuff is pretty obnoxious. There are plenty of obnoxious, stupid things that no amount of prep can really prepare you for. Like those assholes with the blowpipes in Blighttown. If you don't know about them, you will die, and you will probably not figure out why for quite some time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ddraig posted:

Dark Souls is good but the 'git good scrub' stuff is pretty obnoxious. There are plenty of obnoxious, stupid things that no amount of prep can really prepare you for. Like those assholes with the blowpipes in Blighttown. If you don't know about them, you will die, and you will probably not figure out why for quite some time.

You don't even know the half of it sometimes when I get a little irk when people go oh that boss? Feh what a joke. :smug:

It's like yeah good on you you are better than me, shut the hell up.

And yet I say, try Demon Souls if you haven't as well, that was what made me got into the series. I can't wait for Bloodborne.

edit: Ah kudos for trying out the series anyways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
man I thought Far Cry 4 was going to be a game you played fro 30 minutes and then uninstalled but it's actually really fun. it's a bit over violent but still pretty cool to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shindragon posted:

And yet I say, try Demon Souls if you haven't as well, that was what made me got into the series. I can't wait for Bloodborne.
I got a 360 instead of a PS3 that generation. Alas.

• Locked thread