Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Actually, in RotS, Anakin had lost that fight before it began. He was reckless, angry, clumsy, unfocused and expended far too much energy. Because Obi-Wan is a master of Soresu and has at least rudimentary knowledge of all other lightsaber forms, he was able to tire Anakin out to the point where his defense was weak and he couldn't even jump high enough to go clear over Obi-Wan's head and avoid getting sliced to pieces. Anakin would have eventually tired out, no matter what, and Obi-Wan would have won. It was inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Gammatron 64 posted:

honestly it's really kind of depressing that people are getting worked up over what is "canon" and what isn't.

btw that is literally the most cringe worth part of the eu

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

btw that is literally the most cringe worth part of the eu

Did you read Darth Plagueius?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hi! I hate most all Star Wars and will obsessively post in every and any Star Wars thread telling you, at length!

Nerds.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

redshirt posted:

Did you read Darth Plagueius?

i think i might have gotten 20 pages into it

is that the one that involved a seismograph droid with an attitude

E: btw i love star wars and enjoyed a lot of the eu and am posting itt a lot because i like talking about eu and nobody i know irl has read them or will admit it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

i think i might have gotten 20 pages into it

is that the one that involved a seismograph droid with an attitude

Yes. Read it. It's awesome.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I just learned that in the EU, Palpatine had a son named Triclops who was a mutant who had a split personality and a third eye on the back of his head.

Disney made the right decision with the canon decision.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As the movies touch on, there is a Sith rule where there is one Master and one Apprentice.

In keeping with this rule, the apprentice Darth Vader had twelve sub-apprentices.

Antinnis Tremayne (Dark Jedi)[15]
Halmere (Dark Jedi)[15]
Lanu Pasiq (Dark Jedi)[15]
Gwellib Ap-Llewff (Dark Jedi)[15]
Galen Marek (secret Sith apprentice)[16]
Dark Apprentice (secret Sith apprentice)[17]
Kharys (Dark Jedi)[18]
Vost Tyne (Dark Jedi)[19]
Hethrir (Dark Jedi)[20]
Rillao (Dark Jedi)[20]
Lumiya (secret Sith apprentice)[21]
Flint (secret Sith apprentice)[22]

That's a lot more than the zero he should have had, and far outpaces the Emperor, who had only eight besides the ones that show up in the movies (for a total of eleven).

"A Nikto"[15]
Vergere[16]
Garth Ezzar[17]
Ferus Olin (informal)[18]
Mara Jade[19]
Cronal[20]
Lumiya[21]
Luke Skywalker (Briefly)[4]

Lumiya shows up in both.

I'm not going to bother trying to figure out how many apprentices each kept up simultaneously.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milky Moor posted:

Actually, in RotS, Anakin had lost that fight before it began. He was reckless, angry, clumsy, unfocused and expended far too much energy. Because Obi-Wan is a master of Soresu and has at least rudimentary knowledge of all other lightsaber forms, he was able to tire Anakin out to the point where his defense was weak and he couldn't even jump high enough to go clear over Obi-Wan's head and avoid getting sliced to pieces. Anakin would have eventually tired out, no matter what, and Obi-Wan would have won. It was inevitable.

No stop you're dumb.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Hi! I hate most all Star Wars and will obsessively post in every and any Star Wars thread telling you, at length!

Nerds.

I like star wars and I also like laughing at the absolute worst poo poo that it put out. In hindsight outside of the movies I only really enjoyed the games but whatever, I got enough hours of entertainment out of Jedi Outcast. Hopefully Disney will end up making Dark Forces V: Jedi Knight IV: Jedi Outcast III: Jedi Academy II: Force Boogaloo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Old Mark Hamill with a beard looks like Slavoj Zizek.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

No stop you're dumb.

He was defeated only because of the fact that he is weak against the use of force powers against him, which is not something Anakin/Darth Vader has incorporated much into his fights. Literally he only lost against them because they used force powers against him and not Anakin. In a pure lightsaber duel, Obi-Wan is basically invincible because of his immense skill in Soresu. Also, you said they were equally tired, but I doubt that because Obi-Wan was hardly breaking a sweat compared to Anakin. Also neither of them looked as though exhaustion was really a factor in their ability to fight. In the end, it came down to Obi-Wan's tactical skill and swordsmanship being much better than Anakin's and the fact that Anakin was unfocused and relying purely on a style that is expressly more exhausting than Soresu.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As the movies touch on, there is a Sith rule where there is one Master and one Apprentice.

In keeping with this rule, the apprentice Darth Vader had twelve sub-apprentices.

Antinnis Tremayne (Dark Jedi)[15]
Halmere (Dark Jedi)[15]
Lanu Pasiq (Dark Jedi)[15]
Gwellib Ap-Llewff (Dark Jedi)[15]
Galen Marek (secret Sith apprentice)[16]
Dark Apprentice (secret Sith apprentice)[17]
Kharys (Dark Jedi)[18]
Vost Tyne (Dark Jedi)[19]
Hethrir (Dark Jedi)[20]
Rillao (Dark Jedi)[20]
Lumiya (secret Sith apprentice)[21]
Flint (secret Sith apprentice)[22]

That's a lot more than the zero he should have had, and far outpaces the Emperor, who had only eight besides the ones that show up in the movies (for a total of eleven).

"A Nikto"[15]
Vergere[16]
Garth Ezzar[17]
Ferus Olin (informal)[18]
Mara Jade[19]
Cronal[20]
Lumiya[21]
Luke Skywalker (Briefly)[4]

Lumiya shows up in both.

I'm not going to bother trying to figure out how many apprentices each kept up simultaneously.

And then Dooku was doing the same thing in the probably-more-canon Clone Wars.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i legitimately like the force palm strikes vader does in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj23dwWHukY

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SunAndSpring posted:

I noticed this, too

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

nobody's going to beat Jeff Daniels in Looper when it comes to being a Zizek lookalike

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
the only EU thing I cared about was the N64 game

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Episode 1 Racer is the poo poo. gently caress Racer Revenge though.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Arcsquad12 posted:

Episode 1 Racer is the poo poo. gently caress Racer Revenge though.
He's talking about Rogue Squadron.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Dash Rendar is the Poochie of Star Wars.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
did you know that mace windu, one of three black people in star wars, technically isnt human?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korun

yep there's a special black people sub-species of humans in the eu.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Otisburg posted:

Dash Rendar is the Poochie of Star Wars.

If you didn't have an N64

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

If you didn't have an N64

This is true. My parents didn't let me play video games as a child so my Shadows of the Empire experience was basically the Kevin J. Anderson novel, the Boba Fett comics and the action figures and I loving hated Dash Rendar.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also I had a lot of topps(?) trading cards with paintings of scenes from the novel, I thought that was cool.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
wasnt dash rendar basically "han solo but cooler"?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

shiksa posted:

did you know that mace windu, one of three black people in star wars, technically isnt human?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korun

yep there's a special black people sub-species of humans in the eu.

:eng101:

quote:

The Korunnai (singular, Korun) were a Human race from the planet Haruun Kal.
:eng101:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Harime Nui posted:

Also I had a lot of topps(?) trading cards with paintings of scenes from the novel, I thought that was cool.

either I have them or my bosses son will find them.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

shiksa posted:

wasnt dash rendar basically "han solo but cooler"?

I don't remember if he was supposed to be "cooler," he was basically literally Han Solo, since they couldn't actually have Han Solo appear in SotE. Also he literally only appears in three pages or so of the novel, he's basically solely there to be a video game protagonist.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

homullus posted:

Best part of the EU, or worst? (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJjP2Jsj1g

serious question, was anyone able to see both the title and preview image of this video and still bring yourself to actually click play

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

quote:

(The Force in the Korun language, the literal translation was "jungle mind")

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

serious question, was anyone able to see both the title and preview image of this video and still bring yourself to actually click play

would this really have helped?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Well I didn't say it wasn't stupid. I just wanted to point out they were technically human, even if they did come from Black People Planet.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Otisburg posted:

No way, no way. Tried it once, doesn't work. You got four apprentices all fighting over who's gonna be Darth Ebon, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick.

Sorry, I know this was from a couple pages back but I just wanted to say that this really made me laugh.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SunAndSpring posted:

Well I didn't say it wasn't stupid. I just wanted to point out they were technically human, even if they did come from Black People Planet.

Magical Black People Planet.

quote:

The Korunnai were genetically Human in almost every respect, except that they were all Force-sensitive and used their Force powers to bind akk dogs and grassers to themselves.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Milky Moor posted:

i legitimately like the force palm strikes vader does in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj23dwWHukY

whats timestamp i dont want to watch the whole thing again

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
did anyone ever play the tcg. seemed complicated as gently caress

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

whats timestamp i dont want to watch the whole thing again

3:11 -> 3:20

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The Star Trek books have one where Kirk gets into a three stooges pie fight with a bunch of Klingons and it's still less ridiculous than the Star Wars EU even though it was actively trying to be.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

did anyone ever play the tcg. seemed complicated as gently caress

I played the Decipher one in high school. When I stopped playing it was broken in favor of rebels because you could just move your fleet around faster than the Empire could catch you, and cause damage by "force draining" (forcing your opponent to put cards in the graveyard) places your opponent wasn't at. If you ignored force draining rules, rebels were still stronger.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

While Decipher oversaw the game, no card was ever banned from tournament play. Instead, when a card or strategy was deemed abusive or too powerful, Decipher chose to release "magic bullets," new cards which were specifically designed to counter the offending strategy. In some cases, Decipher also used errata, modifications to game text of a card that supersede the actual printed version. The use of errata also contributes to a steep learning curve, since players need to be aware of the current meta-game at all times.

This is really bad design by the way.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Magical Black People Planet.

I'm the grasser

• Locked thread