Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, other than the creepy eyes, he looked basically like Shinichi, who is a dreamboat. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, other than the creepy eyes, he looked basically like Shinichi, who is a dreamboat. :allears:

The creepy eyes are kind of a big deal, though. Ryoko sells them, Shimada doesn't. They're too low and far apart. Now, manga-Shimada, I get, but anime-Shimada just looks like a weaselly little school-shooter weirdo.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 12, 2014

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
this show keeps ramping it up and it's so fun to watch

"yeah hey girlfriend just think of everyone as slaughtered cattle and that'll turn that frown upside down!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's sweet he keeps trying though, even though he doesn't really get how humans think anymore. :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

It's sweet he keeps trying though, even though he doesn't really get how humans think anymore. :v:

Wait, isn't it just that Shinichi was socially awkward already and that his new thinking ways aren't helping him out either? Um, I'm not the most social person so I may be biased.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Alder posted:

Wait, isn't it just that Shinichi was socially awkward already and that his new thinking ways aren't helping him out either? Um, I'm not the most social person so I may be biased.

Nah he was a pretty normal guy before his mom stabbed him in the heart, it's why everyone keeps commenting that he's changed (also the trash puppy episode).

The question is how much of that is from the baby migis in his blood, how much is from the ptsd.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

this show keeps ramping it up and it's so fun to watch

"yeah hey girlfriend just think of everyone as slaughtered cattle and that'll turn that frown upside down!"
I think the funniest part is how well she took that. Despite how often she won't shut up about "are you really Shinichi" she's getting used to it.

Soon he's going to get all sentimental and be bothered by dead bodies and think they should be buried and she's gonna think "are you really Shinich?"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

...huh? Where did you get that impression from? He does strange poo poo without thinking like throwing away the dead dog, but other than that he still seems pretty solidly human.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't mean to imply that he he wasn't human, just that he doesn't really think the way typical ones do anymore.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
He's impulsively logical to the point it's scary.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

amuayse posted:

Parasytes still have human bodies and can't necessarily dodge bullets.

I just watched the new ep and came in here to catchup and this is the first post I saw. Had to quote it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Parasites can only heal themselves, not their host bodies. What Migi did for Shinichi was a massive exception to this rule, and just about any other parasite would have simply jumped ship and tried to find a new host. But anyway, Muscle Dude got shot in the leg and slashed in the arm without suffering any apparent ill effects.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Presumably because he's some sort of parasite Voltron.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Twiddy posted:

I think the funniest part is how well she took that. Despite how often she won't shut up about "are you really Shinichi" she's getting used to it.

I think it's less that she took it well and more that she's trying really hard to pretend she didn't hear it. I really can't imagine someone not reacting to that at all, even if they don't react visibly; I thought that conversation was a translation error the first time I saw it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 13, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Parasites can only heal themselves, not their host bodies. What Migi did for Shinichi was a massive exception to this rule, and just about any other parasite would have simply jumped ship and tried to find a new host. But anyway, Muscle Dude got shot in the leg and slashed in the arm without suffering any apparent ill effects.

I think there were ill effects, but parasites don't give a poo poo about pain, and those aren't life-threatening injuries. They were probably no more than mildly debilitating.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Presumably because he's some sort of parasite Voltron.

The only time you really, really don't want to hear "And I'll form the head"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Welp, no episode this week, see you Christmas Eve.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ViggyNash posted:

I think there were ill effects, but parasites don't give a poo poo about pain, and those aren't life-threatening injuries. They were probably no more than mildly debilitating.

Dude, his arm literally welled up and spit out the sword. He obviously has a parasite for an arm, and probably arms and legs as well.

This actually seems kinda-sorta like something from the manga, but I last read it like 10 years ago so I've forgotten a lot of the plot points. It makes watching the anime way more entertaining!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm only going to post here after catching up on the series due to spoilers but ever since first reading the manga I've dreamed, doubted, wondered, and wished for this to be adapted to anime. Calling my friend who first got me into anime back in highschool randomly to catch up, having gone to Otakon the past two years for work while not watching anime those past two years, and could not have been more shocked/thrilled when he told me "Your favorite manga just got adapted- a faithful and quality work that has remained true to the original with full Dickarm".

I just got a Crunchroll trial for this so it looks like I'm going to watch anime again, thank loving God it seems to be getting good reviews. My biggest fear was that it would suck and I would become like my friends who having left college can't stop talking about how "things have changed for the worst" or that "they ruined my childhood" since this series is my soft vulnerable weak point of fanboy.

pandaK posted:

I genuinely love the character redesigns and think they're better than the original, though a lot of that may be just because of how it better fits modern tastes. He just seems more conventionally nerdy which was always what I felt the MC was like pre-parasyte whereas his manga design just made him look generically main character-ish.

Anyhow I'm about to watch the first episode but like the updated character designs with the exception of Shinichi's update, the rest hit it out of the park while his is coming off as so-so in comparison. The original manga which is worth checking out if you like that stuff has great characterization but surprisingly generic character designs that look like every cliche from 80's Japan. Everything below are comparisons between the manga that may or may not be different or the same as the anime later on. Shinichi is generic average student but awesomely retro looking when reading it modern day, and his face is used in Iwaaki's other works near identically. Satomi looked like every girl in manga and finally has some personality in her appearance while I'm hoping that Kana gets no update and inexplicably remains looking like an 80's delinquent stuck in time.

I'm so excited to begin watching this, gently caress needing sleep.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I'm only going to post here after catching up on the series due to spoilers but ever since first reading the manga I've dreamed, doubted, wondered, and wished for this to be adapted to anime. Calling my friend who first got me into anime back in highschool randomly to catch up, having gone to Otakon the past two years for work while not watching anime those past two years, and could not have been more shocked/thrilled when he told me "Your favorite manga just got adapted- a faithful and quality work that has remained true to the original with full Dickarm".

I just got a Crunchroll trial for this so it looks like I'm going to watch anime again, thank loving God it seems to be getting good reviews. My biggest fear was that it would suck and I would become like my friends who having left college can't stop talking about how "things have changed for the worst" or that "they ruined my childhood" since this series is my soft vulnerable weak point of fanboy.

Anyhow I'm about to watch the first episode but like the updated character designs with the exception of Shinichi's update, the rest hit it out of the park while his is coming off as so-so in comparison. The original manga which is worth checking out if you like that stuff has great characterization but surprisingly generic character designs that look like every cliche from 80's Japan. Everything below are comparisons between the manga that may or may not be different or the same as the anime later on. Shinichi is generic average student but awesomely retro looking when reading it modern day, and his face is used in Iwaaki's other works near identically. Satomi looked like every girl in manga and finally has some personality in her appearance while I'm hoping that Kana gets no update and inexplicably remains looking like an 80's delinquent stuck in time.

I'm so excited to begin watching this, gently caress needing sleep.

I think you will like it, it's been a really good adaptation so far with character designs and setting being updated in ways that make sense while still being true to the manga.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it's less that she took it well and more that she's trying really hard to pretend she didn't hear it. I really can't imagine someone not reacting to that at all, even if they don't react visibly; I thought that conversation was a translation error the first time I saw it.

Seriously, the scenes with that couple get more depressing with every episode. His little "peptalk" was completely sociopathic and the fact that he actually thought that would cheer her up made him look even worse. I love how he holds his finger up as if he's lecturing her on something profound.

"I have nightmares about my murdered classmates".
"Don't worry about it, they were cattle anyway."

Darth Walrus posted:

The creepy eyes are kind of a big deal, though. Ryoko sells them, Shimada doesn't. They're too low and far apart. Now, manga-Shimada, I get, but anime-Shimada just looks like a weaselly little school-shooter weirdo.

When I saw him I immediately though of Levi from Attack on Titan, who is supposed to be the hottest stud around.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 24, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This show has kind of mediocre animation and action, but Shinichi is very interesting as a character. His whole transition to being overly logical and what have you has been done really well. I hope that Migi never learns to understand the way humans think because that would be kind of cliche and dumb.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
It's absolutely fantastic how convenient everything that happens in this series is. :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, Shinichi's pep talk was worded pretty oddly, but it wasn't really that sociopathic? It's actually a fairly Buddhist sentiment; everything dies eventually, other species have to die for us to keep going, so we need to just accept it as a part of life, even if we were attached to the people who died.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
"Migi, handle the defense." :vince: :tviv:

e: "Something tore through the parasite's ribs, gouged out its heart, then slammed it against the wall with enough force to destroy the wall itself." Jesus loving christ Shinichi. :stare:

e2: GOOD loving LORD SHINICHI :stonk:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 24, 2014

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e: "Something tore through the parasite's ribs, gouged out its heart, then slammed it against the wall with enough force to destroy the wall itself." Jesus loving christ Shinichi. :stare:

Oh man, so hyped to see this episode now

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah that was intensely satisfying. The best part was how quick it was. They didn't needlessly draw out the scenes at all, just sold it on how efficient it was.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, dude really knows how to externalise his heartbreak.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
Madhouse be like 'Merry loving Christmas, now have some feels'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Izumi Konata posted:

Madhouse be like 'Merry loving Christmas, now have some feels'

... inside someone else's body cavity.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
RIP Kana, you silly dreamer. :smith:

Being Shinichi is suffering. :sigh:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Poor Kana, at least she got to have her final moments in his arms instead of cut down without seeing him. :smith:

Shinichi just can't catch a break... If the big finale of this doesn't involve him finally shedding tears again I'll be surprised.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I broke down and read the manga, and it owns and goes in a number of pretty unpredictable directions. It seems like the show is almost half over; are they going to do a second season of it or something?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I broke down and read the manga, and it owns and goes in a number of pretty unpredictable directions. It seems like the show is almost half over; are they going to do a second season of it or something?

Eh, it's been a while since I read the manga but I'm pretty sure the anime is right at the half-point of it. There should be enough time to finish the rest, if they are going for 24 episodes, the pacing has been pretty good.

Edit: Yup, right at the middle of the story. Also, Kana's design in the manga is so much better. The contrast between her looks and the silly things she does/dreams due to her crush is much better. Anime Kana is too pretty and, dunno, not distinctive enough/too girly.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 25, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Ytlaya posted:

It's continuing into 2015, as far as I know.

Also, dayum. I knew Kana wasn't long for the world, but I was really hoping for a few more episodes to open on Shirtless Prince Shinichi Dream Sequence.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Redcrimson posted:

It's continuing into 2015, as far as I know.

Also, dayum. I knew Kana wasn't long for the world, but I was really hoping for a few more episodes to open on Shirtless Prince Shinichi Dream Sequence.
Eh, just because she's dead doesn't mean we have to go without parasyte horse Shinichi dream sequences. Come on Satomi, step it up!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Twiddy posted:

Eh, just because she's dead doesn't mean we have to go without parasyte horse Shinichi dream sequences. Come on Satomi, step it up!

If Murano was capable of being interesting I think she would have done so already

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I have those dreams usually too with shirtless guys looking at me. That is normal right?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There's a pretty big possibility Migi would have cut down Kana himself. After all he only promised he would show himself, not to let her live to tell the tale :v:

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, Shinichi's pep talk was worded pretty oddly, but it wasn't really that sociopathic? It's actually a fairly Buddhist sentiment; everything dies eventually, other species have to die for us to keep going, so we need to just accept it as a part of life, even if we were attached to the people who died.

In the context of his girlfriend telling him she has nightmares about the day some monster cut like a dozen of her classmates into ribbons, yes.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My favorite part of the episode is still how adorably excited Migi was about the new development regarding the politician running for office. :3:

• Locked thread