Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Coleridge49 posted:

"I drive like a Cullen" with bonus rear window tramp stamp of a butterfly and flowers.

Saw that stupid Cullen sticker on a car in the UCF parking garage this week. How many Twilight fans even exist now?

Content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zeether posted:

Saw that stupid Cullen sticker on a car in the UCF parking garage this week. How many Twilight fans even exist now?

Content:

eeeeeehhhhhhhhh different wheels other thread.

so close.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The presence of a trailer hitch makes me worry that you'd need more than wheels and tires to bring that Z back to earth.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

The presence of a trailer hitch makes me worry that you'd need more than wheels and tires to bring that Z back to earth.

It's always a Fiero Blazer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

This Camaro is basically a red neck mobile, and looks like every other lovely 2nd gen you have ever seen. Except it has a stupid loving truck motor, and he wants more than you'd pay for a year old 5.0 or new Camaro.

$$$$$$$INVESTEDDDDDDD

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
The racing cam squeezes out an astounding sub-300 horsepower out of 5.7 liters. What a steal!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Haha "298 hp!" from a 1991 "Vortek". The Vortec didn't start until 1996. I bet my beater Impala is faster.

Also, it's pretty amusing how differently y'all are reacting to someone getting merged into and causing an accident in a car, versus someone getting merged into and causing an accident on a bike.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Also, it's pretty amusing how differently y'all are reacting to someone getting merged into and causing an accident in a car, versus someone getting merged into and causing an accident on a bike.
The basic mentality, that bikes are somehow not just another type of vehicle on the road, is the root cause for a huge amount of the problem on both sides.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

The basic mentality, that bikes are somehow not just another type of vehicle on the road, is the root cause for a huge amount of the problem on both sides.

Which is made even worse by "bike lanes".

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

From my experience "Original Paint" usually means clear coat peeling off the car.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I think its hilarious they think that anyone other than old people who never got anything more than a motorcycle licence would be interested in buying one of these. I had a look on their website and the absolute dirt cheapest model they do is this shitbucket.

Its impossible to find out from the website how much this would cost in the UK, and the UK is usually more expensive but a straight conversion would be £7899. So what else can you get for around that price?

Ford Ka - £8945

Ford Fiesta - £9995

Volkswagen Up - 8765

Peugeot 108 - £8245

Thats just the tip of the iceberg, almost every European manufacturer has a small, cheap and efficient hatchback that you could get brand new for a similar price as one of these Aixam shitboxes. Admittedly they are a bit more money but for that extra cash you get the added peace of mind that you won't feel embarrassed every time you go out for a drive, and that won't die a horrible death in a minor collision.

This just takes the piss though.

Keep in mind this has a top speed of 28mph.

EDIT - Should point out all these cars are barebones and have no additional options selected, including the Aixams.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 13, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

iwentdoodie posted:

Which is made even worse by "bike lanes".

I rode my bike in bike lanes today and wasn't even killed!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Ludicro posted:

I think its hilarious they think that anyone other than old people who never got anything more than a motorcycle licence would be interested in buying one of these. I had a look on their website and the absolute dirt cheapest model they do is this shitbucket.

Its impossible to find out from the website how much this would cost in the UK, and the UK is usually more expensive but a straight conversion would be £7899. So what else can you get for around that price?

Ford Ka - £8945

Ford Fiesta - £9995

Volkswagen Up - 8765

Peugeot 108 - £8245

Thats just the tip of the iceberg, almost every European manufacturer has a small, cheap and efficient hatchback that you could get brand new for a similar price as one of these Aixam shitboxes. Admittedly they are a bit more money but for that extra cash you get the added peace of mind that you won't feel embarrassed every time you go out for a drive, and that won't die a horrible death in a minor collision.

This just takes the piss though.

Keep in mind this has a top speed of 28mph.

EDIT - Should point out all these cars are barebones and have no additional options selected, including the Aixams.

Looking forward to going into the back of one of these at 70mph.
People take bikes on the A46 (a 70mph road) which is insane enough (yet perfectly legal)
They at least go down the hard shoulder, these things won't.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

freelop posted:

Looking forward to going into the back of one of these at 70mph.
People take bikes on the A46 (a 70mph road) which is insane enough (yet perfectly legal)
They at least go down the hard shoulder, these things won't.

I wouldn't worry too much, the quadricycle will be utterly demolished killing its occupants whilst your car with its crumple zones and NCAP tested design will keep you well protected.

I have noticed however that the most expensive one I linked was an electric model, so heres the most expensive combustion engine model.

£13611 in total. For shits and giggles I went onto Fiat's website and and customised a Fiat 500 that would be cheaper than the Aixam Coupe GTi.

So for £346 less you get a much more powerful engine, four seats, leather interior, automatic climate control, and overall a much more stylish and enjoyable vehicle. They seriously want to market this thing to teenagers but have made it so expensive and so uncool that no one will go for it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Ludicro posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, the quadricycle will be utterly demolished killing its occupants whilst your car with its crumple zones and NCAP tested design will keep you well protected.

I have noticed however that the most expensive one I linked was an electric model, so heres the most expensive combustion engine model.

£13611 in total. For shits and giggles I went onto Fiat's website and and customised a Fiat 500 that would be cheaper than the Aixam Coupe GTi.

So for £346 less you get a much more powerful engine, four seats, leather interior, automatic climate control, and overall a much more stylish and enjoyable vehicle. They seriously want to market this thing to teenagers but have made it so expensive and so uncool that no one will go for it.

Are those people even aware other cars exist, with motors? It'd be one thing if cars were not at all invented and we just had nothing but motorbikes and then BAM! They put FOUR wheels on a motorbike and give it a ridiculous price because people "will want this".

Aw hell who are we kidding, I bet people have bought those cars thinking its a great idea.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ringo Star Get posted:

Are those people even aware other cars exist, with motors? It'd be one thing if cars were not at all invented and we just had nothing but motorbikes and then BAM! They put FOUR wheels on a motorbike and give it a ridiculous price because people "will want this".

Aw hell who are we kidding, I bet people have bought those cars thinking its a great idea.

I'm thinking that insurance in the U.K.being outrageously expensive had something to do with it.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm thinking that insurance in the U.K.being outrageously expensive had something to do with it.
I wouldn't assume insurance on a quadricycle is cheaper, if you can even find a company that'll cover you at all. Plus they cost £10k so you're not saving money. Plus:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/euroncap/euroncap-quadricycle-test.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The only possible market I could think of for that would be rich kids who aren't old enough to have a license to drive a real car.

I mean, mopeds aren't exactly popular outside of 13-15 year old kids here in the US for the same reason - until you turn 16 you can't drive a real car solo, and a lovely underpowered bike that can do ~30 MPH downhill with a stiff tailwind gives you more options than a pedal bike or walking.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This is just a step below getting a bad tattoo.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

InitialDave posted:

It wouldn't be so hard to treat them as another type of vehicle if it wasn't for the fact that most bicycle riders have absolutely zero regard for the rules of the road and the majority of cops are neither willing nor able (really; what cop is going to chase a bike that jumps a curb and books it down the sidewalk down an alley?) to ticket riders.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Raluek posted:

Haha "298 hp!" from a 1991 "Vortek". The Vortec didn't start until 1996. I bet my beater Impala is faster.

I don't think this is true.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ringo Star Get posted:

I think the segment they are targeting does exist, at least from a demographic perspective despite being very small, but they have basically priced themselves out of that market. As mentioned before, I have seen exactly one of these things in the wild, and its someone who works at the same place I do. He's in his early 50s, only has a moped/motorcycle licence (not sure which one), basically the type who a couple of decades back would have driven a Reliant Robin or something like that.

Geoj posted:

The only possible market I could think of for that would be rich kids who aren't old enough to have a license to drive a real car.

I mean, mopeds aren't exactly popular outside of 13-15 year old kids here in the US for the same reason - until you turn 16 you can't drive a real car solo, and a lovely underpowered bike that can do ~30 MPH downhill with a stiff tailwind gives you more options than a pedal bike or walking.

Rich kids with parents who have more money than sense maybe, I imagine most people would decide to make do with a scooter for a year and then get a real car. Anyone who isn't rich would go with a much cheaper moped, or would simply wait until they could get a car. Plus with youngsters the cool factor is always important, most young men would rather drive a worn out Mk 4 Golf than a new Nissan Micra, and the Aixam is the definition of horrid plastic uncoolness.

Whats even more ridiculous is I've been looking at brand new vehicles, if we delve into the approved used market that £13611 gets you a very long way. This isn't taking into consideration used Aixams, but good luck finding one of those. So what could I get for the price of a Aixam Coupe GTi?

I also looked at the page that the picture Revmoo posted came from and its pretty delusional in its own way.

http://www.sourcewire.com/news/76046/new-rules-kick-in-for-teen-machine#.VIv74Xvp_F0

They want youngsters to drive these in rural areas, where typical speed limits outside of villages are 60mph. In a vehicle that tops out at 28mph, nope not dangerous at all. :psyduck: Seems the old "slow always = safe" is rearing its head again.

Also the insurance for one of these things for a 16/17 year old is like £2000.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Ludicro posted:

Also the insurance for one of these things for a 16/17 year old is like £2000.

I dunno how recently you were 16 but that's like the bottom end of the price range for anything. Guess how much it cost 17 year old me to insure a 1.0L one of these:

£2,300 in 2007 money.

*E* And that was in a sleepy part of Sussex at the time. Car insurance is terrible car stuff. :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Maybe you're trying to trap me with how the name Vortec existed before that; if so you're right and I should rephrase what I said. The L31 Vortec 5700 was introduced in model year 1996. While true that they were making V6s or whatever before that with the Vortec name, the engine (and heads associated with it) that people generally refer to as a "Vortec 350" did not exist in 1991.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

jammyozzy posted:

I dunno how recently you were 16 but that's like the bottom end of the price range for anything. Guess how much it cost 17 year old me to insure a 1.0L one of these:

£2,300 in 2007 money.

*E* And that was in a sleepy part of Sussex at the time. Car insurance is terrible car stuff. :(

Yeah, but you had what appears to be a quite respectable Volkswagen Polo. How much did the car cost you? I imagine it was less than the £7899 asking price of the quadricycle, and you would be in a safer vehicle capable of doing more than 28mph. What gets me is that I can sort of seeing these things making sense in big cities like London, but that article I linked to babbles on about them being great in rural areas. Thats the last loving place anything like that should be, especially as on any 60mph road they will create a tailback and elevated risk of an accident as people get more pissed off and take bigger risks trying to overtake them.

Funnily enough I didn't learn to drive at 17 because I didn't need a car and the insurance was too expensive, and then I got complacent after that. Started learning to drive October last year, passed my test in January this year, got my car in Feburary at the ripe old age of 26. Once you go into the 25+ age bracket insurance costs just plunge, although not doing it sooner is still one of my biggest regrets.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 13, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
In my experience the English countryside is so clogged full of slow-rear end tractors and other agricultural implements that some terrible faux-cars are hardly going to make a difference.

Doesn't make them any less terrible car stuff though, especially at those prices - guess it's the whole Reliant Robin thing all over again

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a geezer on my road drives an aixim, you can always hear out coming. In addition there's two young lads around this area that drive robins, one yellow with stripes, the other flat black. Both lowered (how? :psyduck: ) with stupid exhausts.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Cakefool posted:

There's a geezer on my road drives an aixim, you can always hear out coming. In addition there's two young lads around this area that drive robins, one yellow with stripes, the other flat black. Both lowered (how? :psyduck: ) with stupid exhausts.

I think we're gonna need photographic evidence of these stanced Robins.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

Maybe you're trying to trap me with how the name Vortec existed before that; if so you're right and I should rephrase what I said. The L31 Vortec 5700 was introduced in model year 1996. While true that they were making V6s or whatever before that with the Vortec name, the engine (and heads associated with it) that people generally refer to as a "Vortec 350" did not exist in 1991.

I just don't get why these guys do motor swaps with such poo poo engines. Of all the small blocks available, why would you do that to yourself?

Hell, even the TPI 350 would be better. If nothing else because that intake looks badass.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Baller Witness Bro posted:

You're right. 198 HP is probably more like it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-TD4-GS-AUTO-No-Reserve-99p-ITS-HORRID-/191440990845

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A month later it breaks down again and the buyer screams at the seller demanding a refund.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

veedubfreak posted:

Curious but with as many cyclists are there seem to be in here. What happens if you manage to ram your bike into an open door and pretty much destroy it. Can you use any sort of insurance for it?

Renters or homeowners insurance in CA will at least cover property damage caused by you.
Source: buddy of mine hit a parked car like a moron.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

I just don't get why these guys do motor swaps with such poo poo engines. Of all the small blocks available, why would you do that to yourself?

Hell, even the TPI 350 would be better. If nothing else because that intake looks badass.

You will be horrified to know that someone locally pulled the AMC V8 out of a Javelin and replaced it with a 305.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
When a car or bike hits an open door it's generally the fault of the person who opened it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

Saying this just insults motorbikes.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

You will be horrified to know that someone locally pulled the AMC V8 out of a Javelin and replaced it with a 305.

:psyboom:

WHY

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The bag is full of intermediate shaft bearing kits and Carmax warranty paperwork.