Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

On the topic of Mario Sunshine a certain snowflake finally got the attention of a game developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
That's not how you spell they

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mario sunshine owns so hard and the only people I've ever seen complain about it are peeps who are bad at games designed for ages 8 and up.

Fludd owns, no fludd levels own, yoshi owns, plus it has nice water.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Looper posted:

That's not how you spell they

It's fun to believe that and I was kind of hoping to kill sunshine chat or at least stop it.

Not sure if I should post it here or in the Amiibo thread but Wave 2 released in Japan and all of them look really really good. Guess wave 1 was rushed in regards to Marth and Peach.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Someone please tell me all of the amiibos I've bought will put my kids through college one day!!

I wonder if/what they'll do more after they've done all of the Smash characters. They still have so many to release as is.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
animl crossing

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The Isabelle and Mr. Resetti amiibos are gonna be so hype you guys :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Toad, Tom Nook and Pikmin have all been confirmed I'm pretty sure.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Mario sunshine owns so hard and the only people I've ever seen complain about it are peeps who are bad at games designed for ages 8 and up.

Fludd owns, no fludd levels own, yoshi owns, plus it has nice water.

Yoshi kind of sucks. I wish they'd invented a different companion for him. He dissolves in water and vomits fruit juice and its really loving weird and off putting.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Captain Toad, Tom Nook and Pikmin have all been confirmed I'm pretty sure.

Wait what, really? Wave 4 is coming with non-smash characters?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
What he means by "[they] have all been confirmed" is "[they] have been all but confirmed." Tom Nook and "Pikmin" had a single-tone icon along with other, real amiibo in one of the amiibo displays seen earlier this year. The assumption for Captain Toad comes from the fact that Treasure Tracker has been confirmed to have amiibo support.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

greatn posted:

Yoshi kind of sucks. I wish they'd invented a different companion for him. He dissolves in water and vomits fruit juice and its really loving weird and off putting.

Yeah, as much as I like Sunshine Yoshi it really would have been better to have a new tropical buddy.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

I promised myself I wouldn't post any more about Sunshine, but the final section deserves special scorn.

Spent a solid hour figuring out the horrendous controls of the canoe over lava.

Finally made it to the final boss, and I die three times. Once because I'm figuring out what to do, and the other two deaths are because I fell through the floor after breaking a seal. Not "fell down", but clipped through the floor like I'm playing Superman 64.

I'm done.

So you're not playing it on GameCube then?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I played it on the Wii with a gamecube controller.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Then you're bad at games. Mario Sunshine is awesome and fun.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Did they release that on the Wii?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Legdiian posted:

Did they release that on the Wii?

You can play Gamecube games on the Wii.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is this some kind of Who's On First bit

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Wii U plays Wii plays GameCube

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wii U plays Gamecube if you hack the vWii. Gamecube meaning :filez: though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hell you can play GameCube games on the wii mode of the wii u. Nintendo disabled it for some reason but you can mod it back in.

Edit: everyone else said it

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Wii U plays Gamecube if you hack the vWii. Gamecube meaning :filez: though.

No. You put a GC game in a Wii and then you turn it into an ISO. ISO goes on drive which connects to Wii U.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I am honestly not trying to get into a :filez: discussion, but I'm wondering if he is playing with a retail disc or through homebrew/emulation. Because I never had any of the problems he had and he seems very angry. You don't have to answer either way, but if you are playing through homebrew you can stop complaining about how "buggy" the game is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Guys Bayonetta 2 is really good.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Wii U is the best console this generation.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Legdiian posted:

I am honestly not trying to get into a :filez: discussion, but I'm wondering if he is playing with a retail disc or through homebrew/emulation. Because I never had any of the problems he had and he seems very angry. You don't have to answer either way, but if you are playing through homebrew you can stop complaining about how "buggy" the game is.

The levels being complained about were finicky as poo poo back on the Gamecube.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just finished Wonderful 101, the final boss is the closest you will ever get to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in video game form. First game i finished on this console, took me two weeks worth of afternoons (since i at least tried to replay bronze/consolation prize stages) and this is already the best entertainment investment i made this year. Also holy poo poo the credits, this might be the most content rich console game i have ever played

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah I don't know what it is about those levels but the physics is wonky on slopes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Legdiian posted:

The Wii plays gamecube games. You put it in the magic slot and it plays. No dirty piracy needed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ultigonio posted:

What he means by "[they] have all been confirmed" is "[they] have been all but confirmed." Tom Nook and "Pikmin" had a single-tone icon along with other, real amiibo in one of the amiibo displays seen earlier this year. The assumption for Captain Toad comes from the fact that Treasure Tracker has been confirmed to have amiibo support.

Do we know there are going to be Captain Toad exclusive amiibo? I mean, Hyrule Warriors has amiibo support, but there are no Hyrule Warriors-design Link/Zelda/Sheik/Ganondorf amiibo. For all we know, Captain Toad will just react to any of the Mario character Smash Bros amiibo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

jivjov posted:

Do we know there are going to be Captain Toad exclusive amiibo? I mean, Hyrule Warriors has amiibo support, but there are no Hyrule Warriors-design Link/Zelda/Sheik/Ganondorf amiibo. For all we know, Captain Toad will just react to any of the Mario character Smash Bros amiibo.

It'd be much cooler if you could scan your amiibo and play as a Captain version of that amiibo in game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Spacebump posted:

It'd be much cooler if you could scan your amiibo and play as a Captain version of that amiibo in game.

My anticipation is a small handful of bonus levels, one for each franchise represented by Smash. Like, scan a Link or Zelda, get a hyrule themed level, scan Marth or Ike, get a Fire Emblem one.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Totalizator posted:

Just finished Wonderful 101, the final boss is the closest you will ever get to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in video game form. First game i finished on this console, took me two weeks worth of afternoons (since i at least tried to replay bronze/consolation prize stages) and this is already the best entertainment investment i made this year. Also holy poo poo the credits, this might be the most content rich console game i have ever played

Now do it again on hard :)

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Totalizator posted:

I don't think I've yelled more at the end of a video game out of hype than I have at the ending of The Wonderful 101.

jivjov posted:

Do we know there are going to be Captain Toad exclusive amiibo?
We definitely do not - that's why I indicated that it was an assumption. Honestly, I kind of doubt we'll see a Captain Toad amiibo, but we already have amiibo of more obscure video game characters thanks to Smash, so we'll have to see.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Totalizator posted:

That whole final hours were spent by me playing as i sang ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH! so loving good. Best game.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
A link to the amiibo thread has been added to the OP.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

My anticipation is a small handful of bonus levels, one for each franchise represented by Smash. Like, scan a Link or Zelda, get a hyrule themed level, scan Marth or Ike, get a Fire Emblem one.

Scan Marth and get 70 bonus levels!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Totalizator posted:

The final operation as a whole is one of the craziest most awesome most ridiculous things in a video game I've seen. It just keeps going and going and it's just like 'OK this has got to be it' NOPE let's kick it up even more.

So good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The entire game really is a perfectly executed escalation of poo poo getting progressively more real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Have to say, I found Sunshine more frustrating than it was worth. There was something about the camera and the level design that made it really hard to tell where you were in 3D space in places. The platforming sub-stages being the prime example, but also things like the tight ropes and high platformsl on the first level. The only other way I can describe it is like trying to play the bits of Mario 3D Land on the 3DS that rely on you having the 3D switched on - except obviously you don't have that option on Sunshine.

I can only assume other games get round this with careful visual cues that just weren't there in Sunshine.

• Locked thread