Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

Figured out how to do a forward bair, I'm super chuffed. I know it's a really simple thing in retrospect, but I'm still excited. See also; relearning how to use the C-stick after the wake of 3DS smash. Got a lot of bad habits to train myself out of from that.
I'm kinda weaning myself off the C-stick in this game because it feels really unreliable. I'll nair when I mean to fair, try to tilt on the ground and get nothing, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Kinda hoping those discontinued rumors are true since I just bought a Villager for $20.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

I'm kinda weaning myself off the C-stick in this game because it feels really unreliable. I'll nair when I mean to fair, try to tilt on the ground and get nothing, etc.

I've only ever used the C-Stick for smash attacks, never really considered it for aerials. The only reason I started using it again was because I was getting sick of smashes turning into tilts with manual smashes. By forwards bair I meant just running up, turning around really fast, then shorthopping a backair in the direction I was originally going. I'm still a pretty big smash scrub, so I don't know the technical term for it, or if it even merits one.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 12, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh yeah, sorry for doubleposting but I just remembered I fought somebody by the name of Hank H. with a Hank Hill Mii yesterday on FG, and I just KNOW it was one of you guys. First match was a white-palette Charizard(propanizard?), second was a stock Toon Link. Who was it?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Cicadas! posted:

Oh yeah, sorry for doubleposting but I just remembered I fought somebody by the name of Hank H. with a Hank Hill Mii yesterday on FG, and I just KNOW it was one of you guys. First match was a white-palette Charizard(propanizard?), second was a stock Toon Link. Who was it?

i cant believe you made this post

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

i cant believe you made this post

Haha, it was you? Don't I have all the luck. I even changed my nametag to "Bobby" for the second fight but you must not have thought it was funny, cause you took off.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 12, 2014

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

noirstronaut posted:

Kinda hoping those discontinued rumors are true since I just bought a Villager for $20.

you're part of the problem!!

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Cicadas! posted:

Haha, it was you? Don't I have all the luck. I even changed my nametag to "Bobby" for the second fight but you must not have thought it was funny, cause you took off.

youre a loving retard

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

You're a loving retard.

And you're a delusional weirdo with a fetish for Donkey Kong characters.
We're perfect for each other!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Toon Link seems fine. Regular Link is making me gouge my eyes out because I really want to like him, I do, he's just making it difficult. I had this same problem in Brawl, though, where it feels like I've been presented with a Good Link and a Bad Link and I have dumb personal attachment to Bad Link.

Link's still bad (he still has the whole 'my fastest attack comes out slower then most character's tilts' issue) but he's the least bad he's been in forever, yeah. His projectiles got buffed. His recovery got buffed. His kill power got buffed to the drat gills. He's just still really, really bad at swinging his sword around and hitting people who are decent at not getting hit.

He's basically the Link you know and want to love plus the Ganondorf from Brawl you know and want to love in one failure-tastic package that can still rob games off of new, bad, and sloppy players just because you harass and harass and harass with projectiles until suddenly BAM kill outta nowhere off a dash attack or F-tilt.

mabels big day posted:

Have you tried Lady Palutena without customs? i think your opinion might change.

If Palutena isn't bad enough for you, there's still ol' Ganondorf out there. He's better then he was in Brawl but that's a very, very low bar to clear, and new Ganon doesn't clear it by much.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tatsuta Age posted:

you're part of the problem!!

I'm the owner of a Villager Amiibo is what I am

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Palutena is really good if you never ever touch her specials outside maybe reflect every so often and her air recovery. All her tilt ground attacks are fantastic and her up smash has good range but tough timing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mr. Locke posted:

If Palutena isn't bad enough for you, there's still ol' Ganondorf out there. He's better then he was in Brawl but that's a very, very low bar to clear, and new Ganon doesn't clear it by much.

At least Ganondorf is really good for clearing Home Run Contest and Not-Angry Birds challenges. And I've found him quite useful for beating All-Star Battles and The Final Battle on Hard too, with a defensive build + quick smash attacks and lifesteal.

Now if I could figure out how to win The Final FINAL Battle on Hard, because I kept getting killed before I can even touch Sonic and Mega Man.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DoctorWhat posted:

I got this tweet texted to my phone at 2:52 PM

by 3:22 I was walking out of the Nintendo World store with AN ADAPTER IN MY HANDS

deal w/ it not-in-NYC chumps and chumpettes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I just casually walked into Best Buy midday on the date of release and bought one. Deal with that, I guess?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cicadas! posted:

And you're a delusional weirdo with a fetish for Donkey Kong characters.
We're perfect for each other!

Dont compare yourself to Bonzi

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

:siren:NINTENDO WORLD:siren:
Are they paying you to shill for them or something? At least half of your posts in this thread involve Nintendo World in some way.

Austrian mook posted:

Sorry for offending your ironic messiah.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 12, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

I just casually walked into Best Buy midday on the date of release and bought one. Deal with that, I guess?

I preordered one of the two copies my EBgames got.

I felt bad for someone I was talking with when I waited in the line for the midnight release, I don't even think they got the game, they just up and left

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Austrian mook posted:

lol you dick ridin' brah

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PantsBandit posted:

lol you dick ridin' brah

No, this guy is just really horrible

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Cicadas! posted:

Are they paying you to shill for them or something? At least half of your posts in this thread involve Nintendo World in some way.

It would be one thing if Nintendo World was something to brag about, but the store is incredibly disappointing. Besides some demo games (the same you'd find in a GameStop), merch and the extremely small "museum" there's nothing else. It's only good if you're in the area and need a store that sells games. Which is fine, but you'd think a place named Nintendo World would be a little more exciting!

ANYWAY, I have a Smash question: when you spectate, can the people playing see who you've bet on? Also, one time when spectating, I bet on one game and then two games later bet on the very same exact game I bet on before. I was under the impression the spectating games are live, no?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cicadas! posted:

I just have a lot of love for the place. Like yeah, they don't quite live up to the name or whatever, but they have loads of really fun events and the best launch parties and the Kid Icarus tournaments were a major highlight of my weeks for the better part of a year, and I live like 20 minutes away so yeah.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Austrian mook posted:

No, this guy is just really horrible

Strong words from you, mook. Nice gang tag, though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Apple Jax posted:

ANYWAY, I have a Smash question: when you spectate, can the people playing see who you've bet on? Also, one time when spectating, I bet on one game and then two games later bet on the very same exact game I bet on before. I was under the impression the spectating games are live, no?
Obviously they're not. I've never used Spectate but I recall when the 3DS version came out there were people who saw the same game twice.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

At least Ganondorf is really good for clearing Home Run Contest and Not-Angry Birds challenges. And I've found him quite useful for beating All-Star Battles and The Final Battle on Hard too, with a defensive build + quick smash attacks and lifesteal.

Now if I could figure out how to win The Final FINAL Battle on Hard, because I kept getting killed before I can even touch Sonic and Mega Man.

I relied on aether -> ledge grab -> jump off -> repeat to build damage and luck/bad AI to get killing blows, but it still took me a lot of tries. Pac-Man's keys and hydrants are really dangerous.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Apple Jax posted:

It would be one thing if Nintendo World was something to brag about, but the store is incredibly disappointing. Besides some demo games (the same you'd find in a GameStop), merch and the extremely small "museum" there's nothing else. It's only good if you're in the area and need a store that sells games. Which is fine, but you'd think a place named Nintendo World would be a little more exciting!

Spectating is not live, it just downloads a replay and runs it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Obviously they're not. I've never used Spectate but I recall when the 3DS version came out there were people who saw the same game twice.

Still happens. But that just means you make your money on that match. It's still a super fast way to earn coins if you can leave it running and just poke at it every few minutes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just realized the portraits on the character select screen match the trophy/amiibo poses :doh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

I just realized the portraits on the character select screen match the trophy/amiibo poses :doh:

Yeah, making it really really obvious that the amiibo decision came well after the art assets were finalized. If the plan all along was to have parity between in-game art and amiibo poses, there's no way the art poses would require so many piss pillars plastic supports to be little desk toys.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
It's crazy how often the character select screen art is used. On the amiibos, in promotional posters and advertising, on websites and product packages... I wonder how much stress the artists were under knowing that their one drawing would be used again and again and again for a thousand different things.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And it's on the background in the menus all the time. I'd like to think this wasn't the plan but Sakurai was so proud of the artist that he did the grownup version of putting the drawings on the fridge.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
It helps that all the official character renders look really, really nice. Like with Brawl, they're pretty much the best depictions around for each character and are kind of meant to be used over and over. Expect to see Mario's SSB4 art used in news articles, store promos, and banner ads until his Smash 5 artwork exists.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chakram posted:

It helps that all the official character renders look really, really nice. Like with Brawl, they're pretty much the best depictions around for each character and are kind of meant to be used over and over. Expect to see Mario's SSB4 art used in news articles, store promos, and banner ads until his Smash 5 artwork exists.

Mario's is a bad example. Why the hell does he have that weird fireball?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

jivjov posted:

Mario's is a bad example. Why the hell does he have that weird fireball?

this might be shocking but Mario has been known to throw fireballs

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

g0lbez posted:

The fireball is either being caught or being moved instead of spontaneously being shot from the nether of his forearms

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

g0lbez posted:

Yeah, but why is his art the only one to have anything like that? If there was a blast coming out of Samus' cannon, and a falcon kick effect around C. Falcon's foot, it would fit in....as it is, its stands out poorly.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

jivjov posted:

Yeah, but why is his art the only one to have anything like that? If there was a blast coming out of Samus' cannon, and a falcon kick effect around C. Falcon's foot, it would fit in....as it is, its stands out poorly.

One of his few defining characteristics is that he throws fireballs, he's done that for thirty years. I can see where you're coming from but I think they were trying to make a separation from other Mario toy/figures to make this one specific to smash bros and the only way to do that is to put him in a "fight" stance. It was either that or have him wield a giant plunger I guess

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

g0lbez posted:

One of his few defining characteristics is that he throws fireballs, he's done that for thirty years. I can see where you're coming from but I think they were trying to make a separation from other Mario toy/figures to make this one specific to smash bros and the only way to do that is to put him in a "fight" stance. It was either that or have him wield a giant plunger I guess

Or be in the Up-B jump pose or something.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I do think one of these

would have been a little more iconic, but that's just me.

EDIT: Or if they were trying to highlight this one being Smash-specific, the same fireball pose without the fireball would have been alright. That gets toted around a lot, as well.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
The see-thru red plastic on the fireball for the Amiibo is badass.. Mario is one of the coolest Amiibos atm.

• Locked thread