Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Strange Quark posted:

Since no one else mentioned it, I'm pretty sure the appropriate elemental boost counts for physical skills.

More generally useful are the +slash damage passives since it applies to every link instead of only the matching element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Einwand posted:

More generally useful are the +slash damage passives since it applies to every link instead of only the matching element.

Yeah, but I figure since there are only so many slots you could argue in favor of ramping up the damage by focusing on having only one element versus general versatility.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, but I figure since there are only so many slots you could argue in favor of ramping up the damage by focusing on having only one element versus general versatility.

Worst case you could stack the two if you really wanted to, but being able to hit most/all of the elements is nice since the vast majority of enemies have some sort of elemental weakness, though.

Talking about not links for a moment, what do some of the other characters get for their bonus 4th skill? Of the ones I've seen Kanji has the only one that has seemed impressive in any real sense, disincluding the P3/P4MC's resistances.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yosuke gets a move that deals heavy... stab, I think, damage and has a low chance of instant kill, which gets higher when the target has an ailment. Yukiko gets Inferno Boost, which is Fire Boost on steroids, and Naoto gets increased chance of knocking an enemy down. Those are the only ones I know so far.

On that topic, did any one else's P3MC make Margaret an absolute chump by critting every single god drat turn? Between him and my P4MC using Kaguya, that fight was over in about 6 or 7 turns.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ZeButler posted:

Yosuke gets a move that deals heavy... stab, I think, damage and has a low chance of instant kill, which gets higher when the target has an ailment. Yukiko gets Inferno Boost, which is Fire Boost on steroids, and Naoto gets increased chance of knocking an enemy down. Those are the only ones I know so far.

On that topic, did any one else's P3MC make Margaret an absolute chump by critting every single god drat turn? Between him and my P4MC using Kaguya, that fight was over in about 6 or 7 turns.

I killed Margaret In I think it was three turns, death's scythe, panic circle and myriad arrows is one unbelievably stupid combo.
Yukari got tornado boost which was the same thing but for wind, and Shinjiro just got that passive that makes single target skills have a chance to hit targets beside the chosen target.
I think death's scythe is the strongest passive I've found so far in regards to killing FOEs&bosses.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I'd have to probably agree with Death's Scythe being the strongest passive, which is why I have a Chernobog in my Compendium with it already learned. It also doesn't help bosses that both my Yosuke and Naoto have Impure Reach, Naoto has Stagnant Air, and Yosuke has Bloody Vanguard. Oh, and he currently has Death Chaser on his Sub-Persona. Death Chaser is amazing, in my opinion, especially with something like Magatsu-Izanagi's Calamity Seed, which is basically a Myriad Arrows Circle, which also triggers Death Chaser if they're in the same row, so it should trigger links as well.

Also, a Mind Charged Agidyne with Inferno Boost is a very scary thing.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ZeButler posted:

I'd have to probably agree with Death's Scythe being the strongest passive, which is why I have a Chernobog in my Compendium with it already learned. It also doesn't help bosses that both my Yosuke and Naoto have Impure Reach, Naoto has Stagnant Air, and Yosuke has Bloody Vanguard. Oh, and he currently has Death Chaser on his Sub-Persona. Death Chaser is amazing, in my opinion, especially with something like Magatsu-Izanagi's Calamity Seed, which is basically a Myriad Arrows Circle, which also triggers Death Chaser if they're in the same row, so it should trigger links as well.

Also, a Mind Charged Agidyne with Inferno Boost is a very scary thing.

I've not really used combat magic past the first two labyrinths, what sort of damage does that output against stuff in the last labyrinth, I'm curious how it actually stacks up against boring old myriad arrow spam.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I know in Labyrinth 4, against something that was Fire Resistant, it was hitting for 600 to 700. On something Fire neutral, it can hit for 1000. It's an expensive two turn set up, but if you manage to get Yukiko Boosted, is cuts the cost almost in half. Myriad Arrows is probably the better way to go though. I don't know how any of it does against trash mobs though, because Naoto is a thing.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Einwand posted:

Worst case you could stack the two if you really wanted to, but being able to hit most/all of the elements is nice since the vast majority of enemies have some sort of elemental weakness, though.

Talking about not links for a moment, what do some of the other characters get for their bonus 4th skill? Of the ones I've seen Kanji has the only one that has seemed impressive in any real sense, disincluding the P3/P4MC's resistances.

I can list everyone's in a big spoiler block if people want me to, but I don't know if you'd rather just see the highlights.

edit: My list uses Japanese names though because I didn't collect them myself.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Junpei has the best fourth skill, anyway.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

To me, the names don't matter as much as what they do (as shown by me not remembering the names of Yosuke's and Naoto's), so feel free to post the list, because I kind of want to know if there's any other skills gained that are as good as Debilitate and Heat Riser.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ZeButler posted:

To me, the names don't matter as much as what they do (as shown by me not remembering the names of Yosuke's and Naoto's), so feel free to post the list, because I kind of want to know if there's any other skills gained that are as good as Debilitate and Heat Riser.

Done.

Persona 3 characters:

P3 Protagonist: Debilitate (Reduce one enemy's Attack/Defense/Agility.)
Yukari: Wind Amp (Passive. Greatly increase Wind damage.)
Junpei: Gold Wings (Attack skills sometimes occur twice)
Akihiko: Champion's Belt (Passive. Greatly increases critical hit rate.)
Mitsuru: Punishment. (Single-target heavy Pierce damage. Damage increases if target is bound. Releases all binds.)
Aigis: Aigis Shield. (High chance to nullify elemental damage.)
Ken: Weak Booster. (Passive. Increases bonus damage done by weakness hits.)
Koromaru: Follow to Hell (For this turn, if an ally attacks Koromaru's target, damage is greatly increased.)
Shinjiro: Kyowan(?) Tornado (Medium chance to add splash to physical skills.)
Fuuka: Oracle (Does a random thing.)

Persona 4 characters:

P4 Protagonist: Heat Riser (Increase one ally's Attack/Defense/Agility.)
Yosuke: Death Needle (Single-target heavy Pierce damage with a low chance of instant death. The chance increases if the target has a status ailment.)
Chie: Iron Fist of Anger (Passive. Greatly increases critical hit damage.)
Yukiko: Fire Amp (Passive. Greatly increase Fire damage.)
Kanji: Revolution (Passive. The more HP Kanji's target has, the more damage he does.)
Naoto: Down Booster (Passive. Increases Down rate.)
Teddie: Amrita (Single-target, heals HP, status ailments and binds.)
Rise: All is Vanity (Cancels all damage from the enemy.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 13, 2014

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So to me, the ones that seem really good, besides the MCs, are Junpei (he actually has a use!), Koromaru, Kanji, and Rise. Most of them seem like they're boring passives though, and Mitsuru's seems just flat out bad.

Edit: Is Fuuka's that horrible as well? It just doesn't seem like there's a use to it at all.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 13, 2014

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Chie/Akihiko's seems like it'd make them actually usable, Junpei's sounds utterly amazing, if Koromaru's is an upgraded passive of what I assume it it, it'd be really good, and Teddie continues to be the worst character, I cannot see a single redeeming trait in the entirety of Persona Q Teddie. I'm disappointed there's no dragon shuffle equivilent in this game though.

I've used Fuuka's a bit, and it generally just gave me a massive exp buff for that battle, the 4th labyrinth boss gave everyone a level and a half roughly due to it. I also got what seemed to be a double damage buff out of it once, I assume it has a similar equivilent for rakukaja/sukukaja.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 13, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
aigis's actually affects everyone on her row, so that one's good too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ZeButler posted:

So to me, the ones that seem really good, besides the MCs, are Junpei (he actually has a use!), Koromaru, Kanji, and Rise. Most of them seem like they're boring passives though, and Mitsuru's seems just flat out bad.

Edit: Is Fuuka's that horrible as well? It just doesn't seem like there's a use to it at all.

I don't have any idea what Fuuka can do beyond that - no list, sorry. I personally like Akihiko's also because more boosts = better, and Aigis' is good for tanking of course.

edit: Yeah, Aigis' affects her row, not just her.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Inflammatory posted:

aigis's actually affects everyone on her row, so that one's good too.

Yeah, hers is insane. Triggers very frequently.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

These skills do bring up a good point though: Why is Teddie so god awful in this game? In my eyes, he has no redeeming qualities to justify using him over, say, Kanji, Chie, Mitsuru, or Shinjiro. Couldn't they have at least made Amrita, or whatever it's called in English, party wide, or even row wide?

Hearing that Aigis's is a better Runic Shield is very nice, however, and I think Koromaru's skill isn't passive, because why would it say "For this turn only" if it was passive? I still don't like Mitsuru's though, because it removes the binds, which I honestly would never want to happen.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Prism posted:

Done.

Persona 4 characters:

Kanji: Revolution (Passive. The more HP Kanji has, the more damage he does.)

This is wrong. Kanji's skill is a passive that increases his damage against enemies with more HP than him. It's an upgraded version of Rebel Spirit and seems to stack. Great for murdering bosses and FOEs, which was already Kanji's main reason for living.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ZeButler posted:

These skills do bring up a good point though: Why is Teddie so god awful in this game? In my eyes, he has no redeeming qualities to justify using him over, say, Kanji, Chie, Mitsuru, or Shinjiro. Couldn't they have at least made Amrita, or whatever it's called in English, party wide, or even row wide?

Hearing that Aigis's is a better Runic Shield is very nice, however, and I think Koromaru's skill isn't passive, because why would it say "For this turn only" if it was passive? I still don't like Mitsuru's though, because it removes the binds, which I honestly would never want to happen.

It wasn't listed as passive on my list (and it was usually pretty good about it) but it could be, if it just only applies the buff until end of turn once he goes.

As for Mitsuru's, if they're dead, you don't care how bound they are. That's an Etrian Odyssey skill. (Admittedly I didn't use it a ton there, either, but it has occasional uses.)

edit:

Vengarr posted:

This is wrong. Kanji's skill is a passive that increases his damage against enemies with more HP than him. It's an upgraded version of Rebel Spirit and seems to stack. Great for murdering bosses and FOEs, which was already Kanji's main reason for living.

Whoops! I actually rewrote it from the list because it sounded awkward, which was (Passive skill. The more HP the user has the greater the damage) but either way it's wrong. I updated my big list; thanks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Mitsuru's skill sounds like it's the Persona version of Ecstasy. Huge damage in exchange for releasing binds. Although it would have to do a lot of damage to justify it. Does it scale with the number of binds? It would probably make a powerful combo with that all bind skill.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I guess if you have someone in a Panic lock as well as bound, Mitsuru's skill could be useful. And Kanji getting another Rebel Spirit is amazing.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They really should have made Heat Riser party wide; Debilitate is so much better just because you usually outnumber your opponents.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't finished accepting the request for beating both story sides yet and I'm already loving it. Eliza Death. Mar Garotte. The Odor.

e: You know, I've been breaking this game over my knee so far and I basically two-rounded the final boss in NG+, how hard could this bonus fight b-- oh, it opens with three casts of 9999 damage flavor Megidolaon?

e2: Oh wait, I just forgot the Omnipotent Orb tax, didn't I.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

They really should have made Heat Riser party wide; Debilitate is so much better just because you usually outnumber your opponents.

Yeah, Debilitate is so much more incredibly useful it isn't even funny. I think I used Heat Riser like... once?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mitsuru's skill sounds like it's the Persona version of Ecstasy. Huge damage in exchange for releasing binds. Although it would have to do a lot of damage to justify it. Does it scale with the number of binds? It would probably make a powerful combo with that all bind skill.

there's also the fact that her strength stat is hot garbage.

edit: although i guess that mag-str switch accessory could fix that.

Strange Quark posted:

e: You know, I've been breaking this game over my knee so far and I basically two-rounded the final boss in NG+, how hard could this bonus fight b-- oh, it opens with three casts of 9999 damage flavor Megidolaon?
from what i heard, that only happens if you have that accessory equipped that nulls everything.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 13, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

from what i heard, that only happens if you have that accessory equipped that nulls everything.

I kinda want to go back and do it the "wrong" way, because wow I don't think I ever whiffed Salome's Kiss or Panic Circle/Tentarafoo.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Debilitate is so much more incredibly useful it isn't even funny. I think I used Heat Riser like... once?

The main benefit of Heat Riser is that unlike in P3/P4, it stacks with other buffs. Stack it on Kanji with Power Charge and Shura Tensei and let him blow dudes up.

All the dudes.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The plot dump after the fourth dungeon is fantastic. gouging my eyes out now :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Some of those special skills are also regular ones on personas, Junpei's sounds like it's Heroic Gemini for example. So they're maybe not as amazing as they seem, though having them as a main persona skill rather than taking up a skill card/sub persona skill slot is nice. I like the idea of the P4/P3 protag's unique skills, it fits thematically with their games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How do I actually get skill cards out of persona.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How do I actually get skill cards out of persona.

You unlock the ability sometime during the 3rd labyrinth, IIRC.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have to say that I'm very disappointed that the total money collected counter on the Streetpass cards maxes out at 9,999,999 yen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wait, so the game doesn't remind me what color corresponds to what Japanese word if I forgot? Seriously?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hey, for Elizabeth's lottery ticket request, is the winning ticket the one in the bottom right corner?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, so the game doesn't remind me what color corresponds to what Japanese word if I forgot? Seriously?
In the fourth dungeon? I think it reminds you once per puzzle sequence. Genbu is black, Byakko is white, Seiryuu is blue, Suzaku is red. You can also just look at those persona in your compendium if you've got them, because they are those colors.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you don't already intimately know what directions and colors are associated with the Four Symbols, then what are you doing with your life.

StandardVC10 posted:

Hey, for Elizabeth's lottery ticket request, is the winning ticket the one in the bottom right corner?

No, it's the one in the upper left corner of D4.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 13, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Some of those special skills are also regular ones on personas, Junpei's sounds like it's Heroic Gemini for example. So they're maybe not as amazing as they seem, though having them as a main persona skill rather than taking up a skill card/sub persona skill slot is nice. I like the idea of the P4/P3 protag's unique skills, it fits thematically with their games.

They're improved versions of the generic skills. Junpei gets Golden Gemini which gives him a "medium" chance to act twice, whereas Heroic Gemini has a "low" chance and Chie, Yukari, and Yukiko get skills that "greatly increase" critical hit, wind, and fire damage as opposed to the generic ones which just "increase" it (and at least the elemental boosters probably stack, not sure about the crit damage boosting ones).

Edit: For the ones I actually have, Junpei has Golden Gemini as stated above, Chie has Furious Fists (upgrade to Raging Fists), Yukari gets Tornado Boost (not Wind Amp), Yukiko gets Inferno Boost, Aigis has Aegis Shield (upgraded Runic Shield), and Koromaru gets Deadly Vanguard (upgraded Bloody Vanguard). They're pretty good skills, apart from the part where the casters get shafted beacuse offensive magic is kinda poo poo compared to physical attacks.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 13, 2014

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The FOE monsters in the final dungeon are vicious. Ran into one on the first floor and while I was trying to run away and it cast mamudoon on my party, instantly killing everyone. Almost happened a second time while I was trying to fill out the map and couldn't see which direction it was coming from. Hell, thus far the Reaper has given me less trouble since its moves are more predictable and it's slightly slower in its reaction time. Think it only moves twice every three times I move, something like that.

I've just been grinding lots now. I barely have any skillcards used on my team, and I want to see the abilities on each new persona I get... which still takes a lot of time through Sacrifice Fusion. Alice still kicks rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Urrrgh, must I fight the Lovely Doll in the Evil Spirit Club 2nd Story? I've got a party full of Elec users (equipped Naoto with Null Curse and Zio, too), but every time I get the damned thing down to 75% health or less, it spams Megidola and slaughters everyone. What should I do?

• Locked thread