Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I now finally own System Shock 2 :toot: (It's currently on a crazy sale, for anyone interested).

I've never played it, any tips on starting out? I heard not to bother with psi powers just yet. Also, I'm on a mac, but can I still install the hi-res texture pack (that exists, right?)

Don't install any texture packs or mods, IMO. The jagged look of things adds to the "what's going on" feel. Hi-res textured zombies look like rear end, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, sticking hi-res textures on an enemy model that's double digits polys doesn't magically make it look good. The updated engine is a must though, and the environment textures aren't half-bad IIRC.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Aren't some of the levels literally just Duke 3D levels backwards?
The first two levels are Red Light District and Hollywood Holocaust, which are played in reverse and have snow and Christmas decoration scattered about. Honestly, they're probably the best levels in the expansion.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So question for keyboard players. My down arrow key on my netbook died on me(even tried repairing it manually), what's a good alternate setup for 2.5d games? WASD feels cramped on such a small keyboard and it doesn't have a numpad period, not even a toggle one.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So question for keyboard players. My down arrow key on my netbook died on me(even tried repairing it manually), what's a good alternate setup for 2.5d games? WASD feels cramped on such a small keyboard and it doesn't have a numpad period, not even a toggle one.

hjkl obviously

or tiny laptop mouse

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The best Christmas FPS is Snatcher.

There's shooting and it's in first person shut up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Man WTF, Strike Veteran Edition has a weird bug for me on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04). It's like the up arrow is stuck down and in any menu etc. it's constantly cycling back up. Totally unplayable, I can't even start a game.

My keyboard is fine, the key isn't stuck or I wouldn't be able to type this reply.

Anyone have a similar issue?

edit: Oh god damnit, if I can make it into the game my character just spins in a circle. Grrrrr, god drat bugs.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 13, 2014

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Do you have anything resembling a gamepad attached

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Nope, my lsusb output is this (shows all USB devices attached):
code:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:075d Microsoft Corp. LifeCam Cinema
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 8087:07da Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Just a webcam, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and some internal USB hubs from the motherboard.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

The best Christmas FPS is Snatcher.

There's shooting and it's in first person shut up.
By this logic, the best Christmas-themed FPS is the FPS based directly on the best Christmas-themed movie: Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza.

Except it apparently has issues working on Windows 7, but y'know, whatever

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Linguica posted:

The worst part of that whole bit is when you have to hit a random switch and then backtrack to another location without any real indication that the switch had done something to let you progress. Why yes that happened to me an hour ago and I had to go look up a Youtube playthrough to see what to do next, how did you know.

I really enjoyed how the only exit out of the sewers is the door you opened way earlier in the map instead of the door that leads to the main part of the castle in outside sewers portion. Apparently, that would make too much sense. I guess level flow is for lamers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

closeted republican posted:

I'm playing through Strife now, and gently caress the sewers. What a godawful level. I swear it's designed entirely to drain any sort of interest or enthusiasm of the game from you.

SiN is the best FPS because the sewers are entirely skippable due to the branching path system.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

SiN is the best FPS because the sewers are entirely skippable due to the branching path system.

Even then, SiN's sewer levels aren't that bad. The only thing that really bugs me about them are that, if you've completed the missile silo level instead of going straight to the sewer area from the labs, you mysteriously lose all of the awesome weapons you have in the silo. I know it's for balancing and all, but at least let me finish off my minigun/grenade launcher and rocket launcher ammo supply instead of making them straight-up disappear. :argh:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shadow Hog posted:

By this logic, the best Christmas-themed FPS is the FPS based directly on the best Christmas-themed movie: Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza.

Except it apparently has issues working on Windows 7, but y'know, whatever

Snatcher is actually a Good Game though, you should check it out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Ah was able to fix my Linux issue. I guess someone thought it was a good idea to make a machine's acclerometer look like a joystick. I mean it has 3 axes of motion so why not? *face palm* For this reason I seem to have two joystick devices, /dev/input/js0 and /dev/input/js1, even though no actual joysticks are connected.

Luckily I can just remove and blacklist the whole drat kernel joystick driver to remove them and fix the problem. A bit harsh but oh well, at least I can play the game.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wait... so could you have controlled the game by tilting your laptop??

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

Snatcher is actually a Good Game though, you should check it out.
Waaaay ahead of you.

It's still about as much of a first-person shooter as Duck Hunt, though.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

What are some good Christmas themed maps and mods for various early FPS games? I'm feeling festive and violent.

Grab Twisted Christmas for Quake. it's short, but it has tons of custom content, including entirely new enemies and a new boss.
be forewarned, it can get rather hard in a few places.
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/twxfinal.html

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
gently caress yeah I beat Dark Forces. That last level was pretty intense! I guess I'll finish it off with Jedi Outcast, now. Jedi Academy is just multiplayer stuff, right? As :spergin: as it is I'm not really interested if it's not more adventures of Kyle Katarn being the best at everything.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Jedi Academy has a single player campaign where you're Kyle's pupil and you go around and watch Kyle be the coolest jedi in the galaxy.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 13, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Well I'm sold.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jedi Academy is alright but it's all about building your own jedi, very little to do with Katarn.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It has some good levels too.
It's really just like a outcast level pack where they try different things.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jedi Academy isn't quite as obtuse and downright unfair as Jedi Outcast can be sometimes, so you'll notice a clear progression and improvement in how they think about level design. On the other hand, JA is also a lot more gimmick:y than JO which may or may not strike your fancy.

There are a quite a few levels in JA that rely on some special mechanic or spectacular setpiece, and far fewer that are only “run though star-wars themed level, sabering everything in sight” (although it has its fair share of those too). If you happen to dislike the gimmick of the level, it can be fairly miserable, but on other hand, most of it is pretty well designed. So JA is more swingy than JO — the highs are higher and the lows lower.

On balance, I prefer JA these days because it's just a bit more polished and since you can almost always skip that one mission in each tier (you go through three tiers of missions as you level up your force powers) that is trash. Of course, if this is your first time through, you have no way of knowing which is which and no-one can tell you which gimmicks you will personally enjoy so asking around isn't all that helpful either.

Also, listening to Kyle meta-snark about illogical level design in Star Wars games is gold — I guess even he is getting genre savvy by the time JA takes place. :D

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

Max Wilco posted:

I saw that Eradicator was on sale as part of the Night Dive sale, and I was going to ask about it. Is it worth picking up for $1.74? One of the reviews I read on Steam said that there issues with aiming.

Well, I've only played the game for like 15 minutes, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I didn't have issues with aiming. In the default settings the vertical mouse-aim is set much more sensitive than the horizontal aiming, but you can fix that in the settings menu. It isn't as smooth as GZDoom or a modern FPS, but it has not been a serious issue for me so far either. I am only a bit afraid of the fact that even in the first few very short levels, you had to press a button and backtrack around 5 times each. On the other hand, the weapons seems to be fun (there are even temporary power-ups scattered throughout the levels, and I've had a drone flying next to me shooting at my enemies) and you have three playable characters to play around with. For less than two dollars, I'd say its worth the gamble.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Some good things about Academy.
You can spend your force power points that you get one of after each mission on whatever you like (want lvl 3 grip first? go for it)
Rudimentary ragdoll thing, I don't know what to call it but it sure looks funny.
Kill Jawas
Kill Rosh
Vehicles, id tech 3 vehicles actually.
Lots of stages that are designed for you to chuck guys into lava or pits or acid or electricity.
Concussion rifles.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Flannelette posted:

You can spend your force power points that you get one of after each mission on whatever you like (want lvl 3 grip first? go for it)
[…]
Lots of stages that are designed for you to chuck guys into lava or pits or acid or electricity.

…at the same time, a bit of a warning on these two. Once you get L3 grip, balance goes completely out the window. The game sets up lots of mini-duels against one or two force users, often in particularly dangerous locations such as bridges or ledges over bottomless (or lava-bottomed) pits. These are supposed to be very tense and require dramatically different gameplay than against ye olde hordes of mercs and storm troopers. With L3 grip, though. those duels are over in 2 seconds: grip, move, let go… aaaaaafzzzz. The same was essentially true in Outcast as well, but it offered far fewer situations where you'd just plough through a dozen supposedly tense encounters in less than a minute.

Basically, don't fall to the darkside for the temptation on your first play-through since it's just too easy a trick. Incidentally, the same holds true for L3 mind trick, but on a different set of enemies, so the light side is just as evil in this regard. :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tippis posted:

…at the same time, a bit of a warning on these two. Once you get L3 grip, balance goes completely out the window. The game sets up lots of mini-duels against one or two force users, often in particularly dangerous locations such as bridges or ledges over bottomless (or lava-bottomed) pits. These are supposed to be very tense and require dramatically different gameplay than against ye olde hordes of mercs and storm troopers. With L3 grip, though. those duels are over in 2 seconds: grip, move, let go… aaaaaafzzzz. The same was essentially true in Outcast as well, but it offered far fewer situations where you'd just plough through a dozen supposedly tense encounters in less than a minute.

Basically, don't fall to the darkside for the temptation on your first play-through since it's just too easy a trick. Incidentally, the same holds true for L3 mind trick, but on a different set of enemies, so the light side is just as evil in this regard. :v:

If I recall from my playthrough, they counter force grip with a force push which knocks you over and breaks it... but if you tap grip while flicking the camera towards the pit they don't have a chance to counter it before they go for a tumble :getin:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Confession: I've never played Jedi Knight or Jedi Outcast, but I have played Dark Forces and Jedi Academy (as well as beaten the former), and greatly enjoyed both.

I'm pretty sure I own the full series on Steam, as well as physical copies of Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy, at least.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Linguica posted:

In the Doom games, the sprites for the doomguy, trooper, and sargeant all exhibited mirroring at certain angles, i.e., the front-left view was just a mirror of the front-right view. This is evident in the way that the gun jumps from one position to another:

However people have known for years that full rotations of those sprites existed at one point, because the original Doom manual actually showed some of the missing frames in the cast section:

Anyways, one thing Romero managed to dig up and release was the full rotations! Rejoice!

Last page, but this is super awesome. Did he just find doom guy or are there more from some of the enemies?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

superh posted:

Last page, but this is super awesome. Did he just find doom guy or are there more from some of the enemies?
He also got the Zombieman, Shotgun Guy and Chaingunner.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Forgot to mention earlier but the Strife port also comes with the wad files so you can stick it straight into gzdoom or Chocolate Strife as well.

Also it seems to have some weird stuttering issues on my machine which is quite annoying, although in fairness the developers have already opened a beta branch and seem to be working on sorting things asap.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

If I recall from my playthrough, they counter force grip with a force push which knocks you over and breaks it... but if you tap grip while flicking the camera towards the pit they don't have a chance to counter it before they go for a tumble :getin:

Yeah, that depends a lot on the skill level though. They get a lot more creative with their powers as you ramp up the difficulty. I'm not sure if the AI is actually that clever or if it's just som default behaviour that often works out that way, but I seem to recall that many of my higher-level deaths were due to the cute combo of one of them gripping just as I run out of force power, and the other running up and cutting my poor limp body in half. That's low even for dark force users. :D

Then again, and just to contradict myself, it's kind of the whole point of the series to find these kinds of (ab)uses of the powers. In JO, since there were more open levels with small hordes of weak enemies, another end-game favourite was to L3 jump as high as possible and then force pull everyone upwards. Those that didn't brain themselves as they smashed into the skybox died on the return trip to the ground…

…and then the games complain when you focus too much on dark force powers. Pff!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So if you couldn't download Bauhaus because for some reason the site decided you needed an installer (oddly enough, it didn't happen to everyone), the author put it on another site too: mediafire.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Confession: I've never ever dabbled in the dark side in any star wars game because I'm a big nerd who likes the good guys. :ohdear: Even in Mysteries of the Sith where there's no difference between light side/dark side and there's just jedi powers, I still went with Protection over Destruction. This is actually a huge mistake though, because in MotS they nerfed Protection to block the same stuff that your shield does instead of being just straight-up invulnerability. So if you're like me and get access to the final tier right at the last planet, you're getting Protection just in time for it to do absolutely nothing against every enemy left in the game. Except those sith statues, I GUESS.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Strife is kind of annoying--there are so many ways to break the story and get stuck. I picked up a chalice in the very first level that I guess I wasn't supposed to pick up and the mayor killed me for it (I think? I started back in jail). Or I didn't ask the old guy the right thing and now he won't talk to me again to tell me where the power tap is hidden. Just a really annoying slog of a game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Strife is kind of annoying--there are so many ways to break the story and get stuck. I picked up a chalice in the very first level that I guess I wasn't supposed to pick up and the mayor killed me for it (I think? I started back in jail).
You started back in jail because you never saved your game before dying. Don't trust Harris! He's a loving dick!

mod sassinator posted:

Or I didn't ask the old guy the right thing and now he won't talk to me again to tell me where the power tap is hidden. Just a really annoying slog of a game.
Check for a switch right near him. Just a word of advice, though: You know that whole "TRUST NO ONE" tagline? Yeah. Look around before dealing with the power tap.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Strife is kind of annoying--there are so many ways to break the story and get stuck. I picked up a chalice in the very first level that I guess I wasn't supposed to pick up and the mayor killed me for it (I think? I started back in jail). Or I didn't ask the old guy the right thing and now he won't talk to me again to tell me where the power tap is hidden. Just a really annoying slog of a game.

I think your game might be bugged or something. Harris is a very trustworthy guy and would never betray you.

IIRC that is the only time you can render the game unwinnable, aside from denying requests in which case you immediately get fragged so you immediately reload).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
One thing I never understood in Strife is why choosing to kill Macil or the Oracle first changes the ending you get. They're both evil, but somehow force-feeding Macil a Sigil blast first makes it impossible to shut down the Acolyte facility and damns humanity, while poking the Oracle with an electric bolt first saves everyone and lets you get a waifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Taking the chalice doesn't actually break the game though. The governor puts you in jail, but you still have all your stuff (except the chalice) and can just go back to the governor and do one of the missions to get the prison pass.