Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I grew up in the 70s when comic book television ranged from the loving appallingly awful to the merely very very bad...Now this week I saw three episodes that made me feel like I was watching comic books come to life. Why has it taken so loving long to get to this point?

Cost of halfway decent visual effects got lowered to television budget levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also comic book media have become massive finacial big tents, which means networks are willing to put real money behind them.

I won't see Arrow til tomorrow, how was the ep?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

zoux posted:

Also comic book media have become massive finacial big tents, which means networks are willing to put real money behind them.

It was decent. Arrow seems much slower paced this season, at least to me. So it is on par for the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They usually go balls out in the backhalf so I'm optimistic.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

They usually go balls out in the backhalf so I'm optimistic.

They did potentially open the door for some craziness in the backhalf. I hope they deliver.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Jesus loving christ what the gently caress.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In regards to Arrow I will say ohhhhh shiiiit. That is how you do a mid season finale.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Arrow, Flash and AoS deliver not only a brilliant episode for mid season finale. They clean knocked it out of the park with their best episodes yet.

Come on Constantine for the quadfecta.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Constantine can't fulfill your quadfecta a mid season finale implies it'll actually come back on the air.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

SirDan3k posted:

Constantine can't fulfill your quadfecta a mid season finale implies it'll actually come back on the air.

I've actually really enjoyed Constantine too. This makes me sad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
With Arrow initially I didn't like the performance of the guy playing Ras. It looked like he was hired because he looks kinds of like Liam Neeson if you squint, but he just didn't command the same kind of awe. I think it came down to his delivery, he just sounded kind of weak of the leader of the League. That being said, his whole confrontation with Ollie was amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, Lazarus Pits on network TV eh?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Can we use one on Constantine? :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

With Arrow initially I didn't like the performance of the guy playing Ras. It looked like he was hired because he looks kinds of like Liam Neeson if you squint, but he just didn't command the same kind of awe. I think it came down to his delivery, he just sounded kind of weak of the leader of the League. That being said, his whole confrontation with Ollie was amazing.

Yeah, the guy playing Ras was pretty lackluster, but everything else came together so well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

Can we use one on Constantine? :smith:

Lazarus pits. Nasty business that. The say that what go in... ain't the same as what come out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

A failed NBC show in, a prosperous CW show out. :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

greatn posted:

Lazarus pits. Nasty business that. The say that what go in... ain't the same as what come out.

So that show might improve, is what you're saying?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Trip :smith:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dan Didio posted:

So that show might improve, is what you're saying?

It a resurrection pit not a miracle worker.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Has Gotham gotten any better? I kinda stopped watching a while back.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

notthegoatseguy posted:

As someone who didn't watch the series originally and bingewatch it recently, I would say yes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I still have to finish up Harvey Dent and Lovecraft, but... man, I'm liking it. In whatever the episode before Harvey Dent was, Barbara left and has, in the short time she's been gone, immeasurably improved it. If you can power through her being terrible, there's plenty to enjoy, I think. I think most of the actors are doing well (Bruce seems a touch stilted, but I think that might be on the writing), and a lot of the stand-alone episodes are pretty solid.

Of course, if you dropped it because you think it sucked, I'm not sure how much better you'll think it is. It's still built on those earlier episodes, after all.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I know, man, I know. That was pretty drat heartbreaking for a television show.

Also, Ras sounded positively Australian. Shrug.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
<---Aussie, don't agree.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I honestly heard it and realized without knowing he was actually Australian before hand.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Where is Manu Bennett from, cause I keep reading on SA that he's Australian but he sounds super Kiwi to me. And kiwi is a silly accent.

Flash/arrow Christmas finals were a lot of fun although the Barry/iris thing is a real turn off. I wish these sorts of shows would be even slightly mature in how they they portray romance and relationships. Secretly pining for someone for a billion years (and someone who is your bestest friend or in this case semi-sister) is such a frustrating/unpleasant thing to watch and it's been done a billion times. How come these sorts of show just can't having people going on dates with more casual friends or semi-acquaintances or people they meet wherever or something. Maybe be in a relationship for a while, maybe it doesn't work out. Tons of drama there.

I'm not a huge fan of this "one true love" basically :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Goatmask posted:

Where is Manu Bennett from, cause I keep reading on SA that he's Australian but he sounds super Kiwi to me. And kiwi is a silly accent.

Flash/arrow Christmas finals were a lot of fun although the Barry/iris thing is a real turn off. I wish these sorts of shows would be even slightly mature in how they they portray romance and relationships. Secretly pining for someone for a billion years (and someone who is your bestest friend or in this case semi-sister) is such a frustrating/unpleasant thing to watch and it's been done a billion times. How come these sorts of show just can't having people going on dates with more casual friends or semi-acquaintances or people they meet wherever or something. Maybe be in a relationship for a while, maybe it doesn't work out. Tons of drama there.

Because putting people in stable, mature relationships is illegal in comics writing or something. Or it is the literal cause of declining comic sales. There's no way to know! Better stick with what has always worked!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Goatmask posted:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=where%20is%20manu%20bennet%20from

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Goatmask posted:

He's from New Zealand. Slade, on the other hand, is supposed to be Australian (so's Captain Boomerang).

ToastyPotato posted:

Because putting people in stable, mature relationships is illegal in comics writing or something. Or it is the literal cause of declining comic sales. There's no way to know! Better stick with what has always worked!

The most stable marriage I can think of in comics was Peter Parker and Mary Jane, and look what they did to that. I guess you have Reed and Sue, though, when Reed isn't being evil. I mean, dressing up in pajamas and fighting crime isn't something stable people do, so it does kind of make sense that they'd have hosed up relationships, too.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This is not really a comic thing though, more of a serialized media thing. An actual relationship is apparently harder to write or less interesting to watch than a courtship.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

This is not really a comic thing though, more of a serialized media thing. An actual relationship is apparently harder to write or less interesting to watch than a courtship.

Yeah, I was gonna say, it's a CW show, they're all about the soapy melodrama.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Simpsons got so much mileage out of a loving marriage for like 9 seasons, before it got lazy and became the "Marge is threatening to leave Homer again" show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

The Simpsons got so much mileage out of a loving marriage for like 9 seasons, before it got lazy and became the "Marge is threatening to leave Homer again" show.

While that does happen a stupid amount, its probably only 1/10 episodes or so. Most of the time they're still in sync in a loving marriage.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Barry should try speed dating that poo poo writes itself (it doesn't I have no idea how to write).

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
So I just started watching Arrow, partway through the Huntress stuff. Please tell me Diggle never stops being so based.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angry Walrus posted:

So I just started watching Arrow, partway through the Huntress stuff. Please tell me Diggle never stops being so based.

He's not quite as awesome in the third season, but he's still pretty cool, but I think part of that is the show focusing more on other characters. In the second season he leads the Suicide Squad on a mission (I'm not even sure Oliver Queen shows up in that episode).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
He has the best facial expressions in the Flash/Arrow crossover.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goatmask posted:

His accent is both, he went to school here and NZ, when he was drat near broke and working as a labourer before Spartacus, he was here in Sydney.

Kiwi accent on a hot women is like Spanish Fly.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 14, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rocksicles posted:

Kiwi accent on a hot women is like Spanish Fly.

For entertainment purposes only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lucy Lawless.

The defence rests.