Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lallander posted:

I know a couple of people who have made use of Fiverr with good results.

https://www.fiverr.com/

Speaking as someone who once had to support themselves with freelance work, please do not use Fiverr.

A) You get what you pay for, and

B) Five bucks minus the site's cut is an unsustainably low rate, even for beer money on the side, and has a negative impact on artists' wages as a whole.

If you really want a cheap sketch, get on Tumblr and search the tags for stuff like what you want. Flip through the accounts of the artists you find you like, and ask them how much they'd charge for [whatever it is you want laid out in terms of polish, media and complexity]. Most of them will still probably give you a very, very low rate, because I'll wager a lot of them will be broke students or broke freelancers or hobbyists.

If you are feeling especially mercenary, searching for the phrase "emergency commissions" will turn up cheap work every time, although quality may vary. I would normally hesitate to bring this up, but I've seen enough folks go from being utterly financially screwed to headed back to a semblance of fiscal stability.

When you budget for a project, please try and pay your artists at least minimum wage. A minimum of ten bucks an hour is a safe bet for your random doodlers, with the price going up the more a person has more famous or ongoing projects attached to their name.

Less directly related but still relevant, try to be as clear as possible with your artist about what you're going to use their work for. It's valuable from a rights standpoint, and often times you'll get a cheaper rate for a one-off drawing or painting that's just going to be passed around the table before a game versus interior art for your kickstarter heartbreaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Wow, this is awesome advice, I really appreciate it! I'm looking for a character portrait for an Apoc World game and if I like the quality and turnaround time then I'll likely splurge and buy the other players similar things as gifts. Nothing commercial or the like. I'll definitely do some more research but this all feels like a great starting point!

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
If you look for things tagged "Emergency Commissions" you can bet that you'll get it extremely rapidly and you'll be helping out people in great need.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I encourage the poo poo out of buying commissioned art for people as gifts. It benefits the artist and there are very few humans out there who don't like getting a cool personalized present.

homerlaw posted:

If you look for things tagged "Emergency Commissions" you can bet that you'll get it extremely rapidly and you'll be helping out people in great need.

Also, it's a great idea in that particular situation to tip at least a little bit on top of the quoted price. Even if it's just enough to cover the Paypal fees, it'll get you noticed and will be appreciated. Sometimes even in a materially measurable way!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Y'all ready for some cheesecake? (crosspost from the Russia.JPG thread)

More here, some are :nws: though.

Edit: Oh, and here is their website: http://waldemarkazak.com/

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 11, 2014

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Y'all ready for some cheesecake? (crosspost from the Russia.JPG thread)

even her gun has boobs

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

That Russian dude's bluebeard is amazing:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Ok dudes this is probably a poo poo thread for it but I doubt it deserves its own really, but check it. Through the miracles of 3d printing and easily accessible 3d rendering I bring you The Hero Forge

Basically this site lets you design a custom mini with a fair deal of flexibility and than buy it for and absurd amount of dosh, but its user friendly and pretty fun just to tool around with.

A wizard is always prepared.
Pimpforged.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 13, 2014

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Oh my god that is amazing. $25 for a custom miniature is exceedingly reasonable, I think

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I need some honest hammer-swinging, bellows blowing, metal shaping blacksmiths in here. Bonus points if they're not dudes.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 13, 2014

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Dual wielding spiked chains is surprisingly badass and not as ridiculous as I thought it would look.

https://www.heroforge.com/load_share=3660

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I wonder how good the actual minis turn out.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Bendigeidfran posted:

I need some honest hammer-swinging, bellows blowing, metal shaping blacksmiths in here. Bonus points if they're not dudes.

:smuggo:

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I wonder how good the actual minis turn out.

Their FAQ links to some pictures and videos of the models. The high quality ones look pretty impressive but they don't have any post-painting pictures, so no idea how easy/hard that would be. For $25 per mini I'd be afraid to paint it for fear of loving it up!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bendigeidfran posted:

Another one of mine from Wesnoth. It's a dwarf, so who knows if it's a dude?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

homerlaw posted:

Dual wielding spiked chains is surprisingly badass and not as ridiculous as I thought it would look.

https://www.heroforge.com/load_share=3660

they auto adjust the flowiness / angle of the characters arms to make spiked chains look good and cool no matter what pose or hand you put them in... which is nice.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hero Forge is rad as gently caress; God drat.

Bendigeidfran posted:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Squeak. Squeak.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dearest Art Thread,

I can find plenty of art of Romans and Byzantines with a historical bent, such as the works of illustrators like Angus McBride, and that's all awesome. However, my request is for fantasy representations of Romans and Byzantine styled people of all kinds.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Twibbit posted:

even her gun has bongs

ftfy

unknownarmies.jpg

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm not sure where else to put this

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Reene posted:

This looks like a political cartoon from a fantasy world. There should be a smug looking shitfarmer in the bottom right hand corner saying something like "heh, the party pays for spell resources?" whilst a statue of Elminster weeps a single tear and casts a spell called 'Bigby's financial freedom'.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Reene posted:

Ahh man. That looks like so much fun to watch! I bet those students had a blast that period. I wish I was back in college. :unsmith:

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the best part of that is he dyed his beard rainbow colors.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

cyberia posted:

I need your most :krad: 80s / 90s cyberpunk art. Preferably old-school hand drawn or painted stuff that is actually from the 80s like book covers and stuff rather than the modern digital art that is all over tumblr / DA / etc

Did someone say Cyberpunk!?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Super Warring Golem, erm..."Man of Might" (apparently).

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Reene posted:

Capitalism.jpg

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

No Pun Intended posted:

Capitalism.jpg

More like wizards.jpg

Wizards are weird and probably smell and who knows what is stored in those robes.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I'd agree with you; but he's clearly not a real wizard. Real wizards don't use safety goggles.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

AmiYumi posted:

Super Warring Golem, erm..."Man of Might" (apparently).

I think I need to try and slip Mega Man into a game now, and see if my players notice.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
My friends and I started a company and we have been working on an original PFRPG campaign setting and series of adventure modules designed from the ground up to be read and played online through our website and in a VTT. We completed a rather large reference document for the setting, and as of two weeks ago, we have the first two adventure modules written and currently being edited, and we've just started commissioning art for notable NPCs in the stories.

The first face of our world, the first character from our adventures ever to be drawn after over a year of writing and planning, is an obese orc named "Chef Spicebreath," and he is glorious.

(Art by Eric Quigley)

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 17, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That is a truly impressive number of chins.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Does anyone know where to find a deposit of token-tools style tokens for generic monsters. I like making my own tokens, but it'd be great to know that I have tokens for everything that's likely to come up.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Devin Night illustrates some quality tokens and also provides quite the selection for free. His stuff is all top-down depictions instead of the thumbnail art style, so if you're looking for that, you might want to check out the various token packs Fiery Dragon has for sale.

Neither of these options have any sort of TokenTool-type border, so if you want/need that, you'll either have to do that yourself or find some sort of other token gallery with borders included.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reene posted:

This is how I imagine Discworld wizards look.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

LordAba posted:

This is how I imagine Discworld wizards look.

He's not fat enough

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Reene posted:

He's not fat enough

He's actually doing classroom work, too.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
He's also not staring down his nose at you arrogantly while clasping his hands over his paunch because he just ate a small banquet's worth of food for one meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I need the prettiest guns. They can be real or illustrations, as long as they can be used with one hand.