Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
foutre, Rachel Rising is right in her wheelhouse. Horror, but laugh-out-loud funny at times and with an almost all-female cast of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Ross Campbell is drawing a new Jem and the Holograms series, and it already looks pretty great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those are rad character designs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just read a series called The Killer and holy poo poo did I hate it. I expected some sort of noir-ish crime drama with an assassin, but instead I am fairly certain I read a story that recasts Holden Caulfield as an assassin. There would be pages long diatribes about how lovely the world is because of capitalism instead of, y'know, using the inherent drama of being a goddamn assassin. I expected Leon the Professional and instead got somebody's Livejournal rantings. It was completely insufferable.

Those Jem character designs are great, though.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Ross Campbell is one of the best. I wish he drew a bit faster so they could keep him on TMNT all the time, but I'm okay with picking up Jem and just staring at his art.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm not particularly excited for the Jem book. The character designs are a bit too outrageous, for lack of a better word. Jem characters always had an exaggerated style, but it didn't feel like it was too much. These designs don't even look like the original characters anymore and that's where it gets lost to me, especially in an adaptation work.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

lotus circle posted:

I'm not particularly excited for the Jem book. The character designs are a bit too outrageous, for lack of a better word. Jem characters always had an exaggerated style, but it didn't feel like it was too much. These designs don't even look like the original characters anymore and that's where it gets lost to me, especially in an adaptation work.

I guess if I liked really boring palette-swapped characters I'd be pissed too.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Tooth and Claw (now Autumnlands?) #2 was all kinds of :black101:. Those poor working class buffalo can't catch a break.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Tooth and Claw (now Autumnlands?) #2 was all kinds of :black101:. Those poor working class buffalo can't catch a break.

Yeah it got renamed because of copyright issues apparently.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Welp, I really liked the name. 'Autumnlands' is sorta meh, but I still hope that it has a good run.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's now officially "Autumnlands: Tooth and Claw". I read the first issue and it was awesome! Anthropomorphised animals in anything interests me, and it's a good story too. Can't wait to read issue 2.

From the slew of recommendations people here gave me, I got the first Y: The Last Man hardcover from the library and devoured it in 2 days. Definitely going to be glued to this series until the end now. Same with Chew: in the last week I binged all the way up to about issue 29, digitally. It's hilarious!

I'm looking forward to trying out a lot of those other recommendations too, but as far as asking for comics for Christmas, I eventually asked for the Saga hardcover (even though I have the first 3 paperbacks). It just looks like a top-notch product with tons of bonus material, and I decided if I was going to get into collecting hardcovers for any title ever, Saga would be it.

---

A new question: My boyfriend is getting into graphic novels as well, and he's read all of Guy Delisle's work (in the original French) as well as Marjane Satrapi. He borrowed my copy of Maus and flew through it in about 4 hours as well. What other (preferably French or German, but English is fine too) graphic novelists should I be on the lookout for, for him?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I thought the Nikopol Trilogy by Enki Bilal was interesting, and if he's going to read French graphic novels it would be sad if he didn't read Tintin/Asterix, although neither are indie and both are more for kids.

There's also L'Incal by Moebius that I think is originally French, but I may be dumb and just grabbed a translated copy. Either way though, it's quite good.

Also, thanks for the reccs y'all, added them to a buyin' list!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
^^ Thanks I'll look into those!

So I also read the first TPB of Morning Glories. Should I bother to continue with this series or is it just more incomprehensible bullshit all the way through?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

A new question: My boyfriend is getting into graphic novels as well, and he's read all of Guy Delisle's work (in the original French) as well as Marjane Satrapi. He borrowed my copy of Maus and flew through it in about 4 hours as well. What other (preferably French or German, but English is fine too) graphic novelists should I be on the lookout for, for him?

Today Is The Last Day Of The Rest Of Your Life by Ulli Lust
Blue is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh
Aya by Marguerite Abouet
The Beast Trilogy by Enki Bilal

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Hedrigall posted:

So I also read the first TPB of Morning Glories. Should I bother to continue with this series or is it just more incomprehensible bullshit all the way through?

Incomprehensible bullshit.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Alhazred posted:

Blue is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh

Seconding this recommendation. After a good friend told me the movie adaptation was pretty much her favorite thing ever, I found her a copy of the comic and read through it before giving it over. It's a really bittersweet comic that hits home in a lot of places, and while the art is a bit wonky sometimes, it is ultimately a really beautiful, coming-of-age queer comic.

The movie adaptation has its merits, but it suffers pretty badly from male gaze throughout.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Hedrigall posted:

You've already got some cool ones but I'd also add stuff by Jacques Tardi, especially It Was the War of the Trenches/C'était la guerre des tranchées which to my mind is the greatest war comic of all time. He can also be found in English pretty easily thanks to some recentish translations.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Hedrigall posted:

^^ Thanks I'll look into those!

I was really into it but the month-long gap between issues means it's really hard to follow. I'm just waiting for the whole thing to be over so I can read all the trades in one go

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The new artist for Rat Queens has been announced:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57696

Judging by that sample, everything is gonna be just fine.
:eyepop:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Uggggh I hate that guy, generic late-00s overdone crap
That said, the characters look lively enough, so it will work. I hope for more guest issues though.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

a kitten posted:

The new artist for Rat Queens has been announced:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57696

Judging by that sample, everything is gonna be just fine.
:eyepop:

Looks pretty good to me! I mean no it's not blazing any new trails, artistically, but I think it suits the setting well. Might even work out better than the old artist.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
It's similar enough to Roc's style that it won't be a hard transition. And it's good. I think I still prefer Roc's work just a bit, but I'll reserve full judgment til the TPB with the new guy comes out.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm as SJW as a privileged white american male can be and even I think people are overrating Bitch Planet because of its feminist message. I found the twist of the issue cool as a one off Twilight Zone-y kinda thing, but have no feel for the characters except a couple broad cliches (brassy fat lady). The world is cool, but if you've read like ANY scifi it's really nothing special except the actual Bitch Planet stuff.

I really don't feel compelled to buy another issue. Also holy poo poo those people getting BP tattoos in the letters page. This is the FIRST ISSUE.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

There's probably some truth to that. I feel like Bitch Planet has a lot of potential but the first issue doesn't fully realize it.

But then I super love Soylent Green and the OG Planet of the Apes and Logan's Run and I feel like Bitch Planet is pretty close in feeling too those. I'm all about seventies social commentary scifi.

Unbelievably Fat Man fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 14, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I gave it a shot and yeah it did nothing to dissuade my stance on KSD being a really subpar writer. In this case I don't think the art is very good either, so it doesn't have that to fall back on like Pretty Deadly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I feel like a lot of the publicity it's getting is purely coming from that name, which is sometimes all you need. Whether or not it succeeds past the first few issues is to see.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

fatherboxx posted:

Uggggh I hate that guy, generic late-00s overdone crap

What do you mean by this exactly? I was just looking at his deviantArt page and I really like it. Maybe I just haven't read these other "generic late-00s" comics you're thinking of.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Martello posted:

What do you mean by this exactly? I was just looking at his deviantArt page and I really like it. Maybe I just haven't read these other "generic late-00s" comics you're thinking of.

For me, Seijic exemplifies the busy, photoshop smudged aesthetic that took the place of Turner/Silvestri school in bad comics (see also Clayton Crain, Sonia Oback, Mike Choi). Covering the simplicitity of art and the 90s heritage with extensive, "pour it all" coloring.
Of course, the original artist was guilty of that too, but he did very good expression work to back it up.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can like his art, his run on Witchblade was good, but I can agree on it being a little overdone. As in, the way he uses photoshop to give a very I don't know how to describe, almost plasticy and uncanny valley-ish amount of detail to an otherwise cartoony face. I like his more 2D cartoony art better personally. He also seems to have a lot of weird quirks when it comes to framing things and stuff like that. But still, most importantly he's really fast, which to me is the most important thing for a book like this. Keep the story rolling.

Savage Dragon 200 hit this week, freakin' awesome. 100 pages, square binding like a TPB, goddamn I love this book.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Unmature posted:

I'm as SJW as a privileged white american male can be and even I think people are overrating Bitch Planet because of its feminist message. I found the twist of the issue cool as a one off Twilight Zone-y kinda thing, but have no feel for the characters except a couple broad cliches (brassy fat lady). The world is cool, but if you've read like ANY scifi it's really nothing special except the actual Bitch Planet stuff.

I really don't feel compelled to buy another issue. Also holy poo poo those people getting BP tattoos in the letters page. This is the FIRST ISSUE.

Temporary tattoos!

I was prepared to not be into it, reading these comments and generally not liking other KSD I've read (I wanted to like Pretty Deadly so much, and was just bored by it). But I quite enjoyed it! Great pulp aesthetic, art that suits that aesthetic, cool world (I think it's probably a bit more complex than "if you're read ANY scifi..."), decent dialogue, an unexpected couple of twists, etc.

I don't think people are overrating the comic, I think they're *excited* by it. I can't say I'm necessarily on board for the long haul, yet, but I'm not the target demographic anyway--and I am intrigued to see where it goes. (edit: Well, I guess I wrote that "not overrating" bit before visiting comicbookroundup and seeing some reviews. That was a whole lot of 10/10s for any debut comic that's not Saga #1...)

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 13, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008

onefish posted:

Temporary tattoos!

Oh, HAH! I should've actually read the page.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The ads on the back of BP were pretty good, too.

Really, everyone should go the Tooth and Claw route and do a cheap, double sided first issue to fully introduce the world and plot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Unmature posted:

I was kind of the same though I'll give issue 2 to see how it holds up without the first issue twist. None of the characters are really compelling but maybe issue 2 will flesh them out a bit more to where they can carry the book.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yeah I'll buy issue two. Especially because my girlfriend liked issue one and shares my Comixology accou-OH MY GOD I JUST FIGURED OUT THEIR BUSINESS PLAN.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In about 2 weeks I binged issues 1-45 of Chew (the last page of #45, holy crap!!) and now I'm kinda bummed out that from now on I'll only get to read an issue a month for the next 15 months. I really love this comic though. Is the "Smorgasbord edition" hardcover (20 issues per book) worth it? It's way more expensive than Saga's hardcover.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
In news I didn't think would ever happen, the second issue of Nonplayer will come out in May.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
What's the synopsis? Looks really awesome.

In other news, has anyone here read Gale Simone's run on Dynamite's Red Sonja? She's generally great but chainmail bikinis are super dumb and I can't believe she didn't get rid of that offense to fashion and warfare. Wondering if it's worth reading.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Martello posted:

What's the synopsis? Looks really awesome.

In other news, has anyone here read Gale Simone's run on Dynamite's Red Sonja? She's generally great but chainmail bikinis are super dumb and I can't believe she didn't get rid of that offense to fashion and warfare. Wondering if it's worth reading.

So far, the story of nonplayer is it's the near future where VR tech has become so integrated into like that people can go about their daily lives superimposing whatever they want over reality. Some people live in a fantasy adventure, some live with hovercars and robots, all the while going about normal life like any other schmuck. Heavy undertones about escapism, obviously, but being only one issue, there isn't much to tell other than the setting.

It is very pretty.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
That's great news, I'd totally written it off like everyone else. Hopefully he's kind of taken the time to figure out a workflow that can punch out some issues regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Campbell posted:

That's great news, I'd totally written it off like everyone else. Hopefully he's kind of taken the time to figure out a workflow that can punch out some issues regularly.

I think one of the biggest problems was that he got into a bike accident that kept him from working for quite some time. I don't expect it to come out monthly, as I'm pretty sure comics is still just a side thing for him, but every 2 or 3 months would be rad.