Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

let me see if i have any pictures that i can post from the last plantation wedding that i attended

it was at houmas house which was the largest plantation on the mississippi back when you could still own people as farm equipment

the "men's entertainment room" had a pool table which had legs that were carved into black men holding it up

i might've played a game or two on it

club 33 at disneyland still has some of these.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

look at the yankee we got here

no, I mean "friend of the family rich" has never had anything to do with being an affluent person of color

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
southerners love to go loving antebellum on that rear end oh my gosh there are probably dudes that just play the farm scenes from walking dead over and over

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
They bought meal and dried beans in a grocery and salt and coffee and dried fruit and dried peppers and they bought a small enameled frying pan and a pot with a lid and a box of kitchen matches and a few utensils and they changed the remainder of their money into pesos.

Now you're rich, Billy said.

friend of the family-rich, said Boyd.

It's moren what I had when I come down here.

That aint no big comfort.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

at the date posted:

They bought meal and dried beans in a grocery and salt and coffee and dried fruit and dried peppers and they bought a small enameled frying pan and a pot with a lid and a box of kitchen matches and a few utensils and they changed the remainder of their money into pesos.

the crossing :swoon:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

southerners love to go loving antebellum on that rear end oh my gosh there are probably dudes that just play the farm scenes from walking dead over and over

civil war reenactments

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
how they find ppl to be the northern aggressors is what I always wondered

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

carry on then posted:

the crossing :swoon:

yeah, goddamn but I loved that book

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PuTTY riot posted:

how they find ppl to be the northern aggressors is what I always wondered

excuse me but the preferred term is "the second war of independence"

and we didn't deify general lee we just named every single other highschool after him and made their mascots a dude in civil war era formalwear and sometimes fly the confederate battle flag at away games held at black schools nbd

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

at the date posted:

lol if you think southerners are well-read and use their knowledge of literature to inform their racial slurs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and sometimes fly the confederate battle flag at away games held at black schools nbd

they do know they weren't actually fighting the slaves in that war right?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

infernal machines posted:

i dont think that's the point

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

at the date posted:

yeah, goddamn but I loved that book

i forgot my copy of the trilogy when i moved and drat if i don't regret it

gotta remember to get it when i visit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

oh but they were

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh but they were

hahahahaha

you can take the boy out of the south but

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

excuse me but the preferred term is "the second war of independence"

and we didn't deify general lee we just named every single other highschool after him and made their mascots a dude in civil war era formalwear and sometimes fly the confederate battle flag at away games held at black schools nbd

i like pointing out that the famous dixie flag is actually the jack of the confederate navy. the flag of the confederate states of america is totally different and the battle flag is similar but square, not rectangular.

hasn't gotten me shot yet!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

one time we were on a family vacation and my dad made us stop at stone mountain as we were driving up I-75, the giant confederate memorial carved into a mountainside

yeah they don't call it the KKK capital of the world for nothing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

who wants racism

quote:

Tea partiers shouted obscene, racist chants on Wednesday while gathered outside of the White House to protest President Obama's executive actions on immigration.

Right Wing Watch reported that among the shouts, captured on video by one of the activists, protestors could be heard calling for the hanging of Obama.

"Hang the lying Kenyan traitor!" one protester could be heard saying in the video.

"Plenty of trees in the front yard," another said. "Wouldn't be the first one hung on one of them trees."

"We've got rope," said another.

"Don't snap his neck, you pull him up watch him choke to death," someone else said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0cAqfYRMA

it is literally "the president is a dirty friend of the family" for a whole lot of America

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Luigi Thirty posted:

who wants racism

it is literally "the president is a dirty friend of the family" for a whole lot of America

listen bub, it's a government for the people, of the people, by the people if the people have them racist tendencies, welp.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

at the date posted:

no, I mean "friend of the family rich" has never had anything to do with being an affluent person of color

it means scoring a windfall of money, like maybe an aunt dies and leaves you $5k, which you proceed to blow in a single weekend on hookers and blow.

that is "friend of the family rich"

what hovercraft was talking about is simply referred to as "rich"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

bassguitarhero posted:

friend of mine whose husband works for Facebook flew to New Orleans for a "plantation" style wedding got so upset at the way the staff and guests were treating the black servers that she got up and left and everyone got mad at her

should've pulled a Sherman on it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

they're trained to instantly respond "states' rights!" whenever anyone brings up their treasonous rebellion

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
it's not called the war of northern aggression for nothin

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
also I went to a friends tech company holiday party as a +1 in the marina and holy poo poo, the tech bro stereotype is extremely true.

I have high cheekbones and some guy asked me if I was a European investor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

they're trained to instantly respond "states' rights!" whenever anyone brings up their treasonous rebellion

they're right though. it was about states' rights.

the big one under discussion was that some of the states wanted the right to treat people as property

however i've found that the best response to this is just to quote texas' declaration of secession

quote:

...maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time....

...[the Northern states hold an] unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of the equality of all men, irrespective of race or color--a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of the Divine Law...

...We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable....

...That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States....

i don't really know how any other ways to read that one

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sagebrush posted:

haha, wow

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

who wants racism

afik the difference between american free speech and free speech in other liberal nations is that hatespeech is covered as well
but for some reason defamation isn't? idk

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

the big one under discussion was that some of the states wanted the right to treat people as property

however i've found that the best response to this is just to quote texas' declaration of secession

no no no

you gotta read between the lines y'all. succession was about tariffs.

it was a different time.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

let me see if i have any pictures that i can post from the last plantation wedding that i attended

How the gently caress is this still a thing :negative:

Put your industrial-military complex to use and just nuke the whole loving south

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

all four of the declarations of secession are like this

(the other traitors skipped directly to ordinances of succession and didn't publish flowery documents about why they wanted out)

South Carolina posted:

For many years these laws were executed. But an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the General Government have ceased to effect the objects of the Constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the Acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these States the fugitive is discharged from service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the State Government complied with the stipulation made in the Constitution.
[....]
We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

Georgia posted:

For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property
[...]
These efforts have in one instance led to the actual invasion of one of the slave-holding States, and those of the murderers and incendiaries who escaped public justice by flight have found fraternal protection among our Northern confederates.

These are the same men who say the Union shall be preserved.

this one is special because they drop the slavery bomb right in the fuckin preamble

Mississippi posted:

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 13, 2014

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

also I went to a friends tech company holiday party as a +1 in the marina and holy poo poo, the tech bro stereotype is extremely true.

I have high cheekbones and some guy asked me if I was a European investor.

shoulda strung him along!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
doesn't the confederate constitution specifically mention slavery in the first few sentences?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the really hosed up thing besides the whole slavery stuff (which is a huge "besides") is that the "states' rights" which were being fought over weren't the rights of the southern states but the rights of the northern states who decided they weren't going to enforce the federal laws relating to slavery which were there because until Abe got elected the south had a lock on the power of congress and the presidency. stuff like northern states saying poo poo like "if a slave makes it here they are free because our state law says so and that trumps federal in this case" and refusing to acknowledge that the people the rich southern people brought with them while summering or vacationing in the north were property instead of you know... people. both of those, especially the latter, really pissed off the rich fuckers in the south so much so that they included it in their drat constitution when they had their temper tantrum:

quote:

Article IV Section 2:
1. The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states, and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any state of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property: and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.

2. A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime against the laws of such state, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall, on demand of the Executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

3. No slave or other person held to service or labor in any state or territory of the Confederate States, under the laws thereof, escaping or lawfully carried into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor: but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such slave belongs, or to whom such service or labor may be due.

so it is completely the opposite of dumbasses now they claim it was. the civil war was 90% about slavery and 90% about the southern states being able to tell the northern states what to do (mostly about slavery so there was a lot of overlap).

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
lol if you guys dont think hp is misinformed or wrong about most anything

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hp's not so subtle but kinda subtle racism is makin a lot of sense now

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

the really hosed up thing besides the whole slavery stuff (which is a huge "besides") is that the "states' rights" which were being fought over weren't the rights of the southern states but the rights of the northern states who decided they weren't going to enforce the federal laws relating to slavery which were there because until Abe got elected the south had a lock on the power of congress and the presidency. stuff like northern states saying poo poo like "if a slave makes it here they are free because our state law says so and that trumps federal in this case" and refusing to acknowledge that the people the rich southern people brought with them while summering or vacationing in the north were property instead of you know... people. both of those, especially the latter, really pissed off the rich fuckers in the south so much so that they included it in their drat constitution when they had their temper tantrum:

so it is completely the opposite of dumbasses now they claim it was. the civil war was 90% about slavery and 90% about the southern states being able to tell the northern states what to do (mostly about slavery so there was a lot of overlap).

people who know almost nothing about the civil war: it was about slavery
people who know a bit about the civil war: it wasn't actually about slavery, but i could see how you would think that
people who know a lot about the civil war: no, it was pretty much all about slavery

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

what the gently caress is it with all the ENGINEERS i know and being morally bankrupt poo poo heads i swear to loving god

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

there's this phrase in the south about the civil war that goes something like

"schoolchildren know that the civil was about slavery, high schoolers know that the civil war was about state's rights, college graduates know that the civil war was about slavery"

also lol forever at texans claiming that they aren't the south when they seceded from the north over slavery

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

people who know almost nothing about the civil war: it was about slavery
people who know a bit about the civil war: it wasn't actually about slavery, but i could see how you would think that
people who know a lot about the civil war: no, it was pretty much all about slavery

yeah like that

FamDav posted:

lol if you guys dont think hp is misinformed or wrong about most anything

fact

lol at everyone jumping up to really define "friend of the family rich" tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings