Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Krampus Grewcock posted:

And haven't you seen Blade Runner?

Blade Runner would be a very different movie if it was known from the start that Deckard had a human father and a replicant mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So Greg has brown hair, and Rose has pink hair. What's the deal with Steven's black hair?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jack Gladney posted:

I hope they can hit some different beats than Finn over on Adventure Time with having Steven grow up. His optimism seems like his most important and distinctive feature by far.

I also hope that they don't have more episodes focusing on the main character getting over a breakup than they had episodes focusing on the actual relationship and I certainly hope that bullshit doesn't drag an entire half a season down with it.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So Greg has brown hair, and Rose has pink hair. What's the deal with Steven's black hair?

Mystical recessive from the Rose Quartz Gem?

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

thexerox123 posted:

Blade Runner would be a very different movie if it was known from the start that Deckard had a human father and a replicant mother.

Maybe that'll be addressed in the upcoming sequel.

In any case, Steven isn't exactly human or gem. But his physiology seems more gem than human, but his experiences are more human than gem. His resiliance has nothing to do whether he needs to breathe air or not eat or whatever. I just wonder how fragile he really is physically since the Gems, while protective and all, still take him along on dangerous missions that put him in physical danger.
I just think it would be interesting in how it would effect Steven if he came yo realize that he is invulnerable to such things, how would that test his humanity?

Also, Lion is adorable as hell and I'm glad each episode with him is significant.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mimir posted:

The question I've got is: Could Steven regenerate like Pearl did in "Swordfighter", if he got stabbed or shanked or pierced or otherwise perforated?

The comics indicate that the answer is "maybe, but nobody wants to test this."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Krampus Grewcock posted:

But his physiology seems more gem than human, but his experiences are more human than gem. His resiliance has nothing to do whether he needs to breathe air or not eat or whatever.

Those two statements contradicts each other. If he was physiologically more gem than human, he wouldn't need to do any of those things, so I wonder how you come to that conclusion?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

I hope they can hit some different beats than Finn over on Adventure Time with having Steven grow up. His optimism seems like his most important and distinctive feature by far.

Steven's got a different dynamic than Finn solely on the basis of having a family. Finn is older, too, so his story has had some puberty stuff happening in it. Steven's learning about other people, whereas Finn's learning about himself, which makes for a much different kind of story.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krampus Grewcock posted:

I just think it would be interesting in how it would effect Steven if he came to realize that he is invulnerable to such things, how would that test his humanity?

Same way it did for Superman?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mimir posted:

The question I've got is: Could Steven regenerate like Pearl did in "Swordfighter", if he got stabbed or shanked or pierced or otherwise perforated?
Maybe if he spat on himself the wound would heal?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Maybe if he spat on himself the wound would heal?

Hmm.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Since we're on dumb theory mode, my current dumb theory is that, as much of a coming-of-age story as SU can be, eventually the overarching plot arc of the show isn't going to be Steven learning about himself and the world he lives in, it's going to be about him teaching the other Gems about it.

Right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Gems haven't really shown any kind of feelings towards humanity other than indifference or, at most, distant politeness. The whole "save the world from monsters" thing seems to be done mostly out of a sense of duty, but as stated by Steven, they otherwise just don't seem to care about the world they're protecting.

Rose's video suggests that she wasn't simply more emotionally developed than the rest of the Gem gang, she was on a different wavelength entirely. From the way that the Crystal Gems refer to Rose, it's clear that they depended heavily on her, but they didn't really seem to "get" what she was about. Protecting the Earth appears to be their way of honoring what they assume is Rose's legacy.

It's clear that G+A+P feel genuine love for Steven, so What I'm interested in knowing about is the relationship that Rose had with the other Gems. If it was as asymmetrical and distant as can be expected between leader and subordinates, then maybe the reason Rose felt it necessary to create a human/Gem hybrid didn't have to do with the powers or abilities her son would learn, but rather because she felt caring after a baby Gem would be the kind of task that would force her gang out of their emotional isolation and into actually getting what she was about with all this "love for all living beings" stuff.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's an interesting thought. Oddly enough, my gut reaction to "protect them Steven" was actually Rose telling Steven to protect the other Gems as much as the Earth.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It just makes me wonder if steven will show the Tape to the other Gems

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
https://soundcloud.com/jeff-liu/lions-mane-demo

Jeff Liu posted:

I made this demo for the scenes inside of Lion's mane in Lion 3: Straight to Video. When I boarded the scenes that take place in the mane, I thought it would be cool to play some music during the board pitch. I wanted it to be disorienting and weird so I reversed the track, and had it gradually build up with more layers getting weirder and weirder until Steven reaches the tree and it starts playing forward coherently. The track plays backwards up until 1:39 and then it starts playing forward.
I sent this demo to Aivi and Surasshu and they did the awesome version that's in the final episode!

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

e X posted:

Those two statements contradicts each other. If he was physiologically more gem than human, he wouldn't need to do any of those things, so I wonder how you come to that conclusion?

Humans don't transform into cat monstrosities, generate shields, age at will, heal with their spit, or have powers over plants. The only things that make him physiologically human are his supposed vulnerabilities/needs. Anyway, I'm trying not to overthink it so I don't end up like SithSaber and go on a rant about how the series mirrors the Majabarata.

Also yeah, Steven is pretty much superman, better example.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Humans don't transform into cat monstrosities, generate shields, age at will, heal with their spit, or have powers over plants. The only things that make him physiologically human are his supposed vulnerabilities/needs. Anyway, I'm trying not to overthink it so I don't end up like SithSaber and go on a rant about how the series mirrors the Majabarata.

Also yeah, Steven is pretty much superman, better example.

I believe the difference is, gem bodies are created wholly by the gem, where Steven's body is only modified by it.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
So... if Steven's gem was removed from his body, would he die? Or would he go into the gem like the Gems do to recuperate, leaving a meat husk behind? Questions, questions.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Catkin posted:

So... if Steven's gem was removed from his body, would he die? Or would he go into the gem like the Gems do to recuperate, leaving a meat husk behind? Questions, questions.
I'm going to guess the answer is something like "the gem can't be removed from him". At least not in any normal manner.

If Steven ever died without having a kid of his own to pass his gem essence on to, I suspect that a new Rose Quartz would rise from the gem. Possibly one with both Rose's and Steven's memories? Perhaps this is Rose's true long-term plan, the creation of a Gem with the mind of a human.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
If you removed Steven's gem his guts would all fall out of his gem hole.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Nameless Pete posted:

If you removed Steven's gem his guts would all fall out of his gem hole.

Never exacerbate your crack.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Koos Goop posted:

I believe the difference is, gem bodies are created wholly by the gem, where Steven's body is only modified by it.

This sounds about right. Although I do think he needs the gem to live in the same way humans need their hearts/lungs/livers/whatever.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I've always imagined that without the gem, Steven would turn into a brief flash of light followed by a pile of mushy goo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can no more remove the gem from Steven than you can remove the Ko from Koos.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Catkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZhp-Uctd-c

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rassle posted:

I've always imagined that without the gem, Steven would turn into a brief flash of light followed by a pile of mushy goo.

Less goo, more like Cousin Boneless, from Cow & Chicken

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Catkin posted:

i'm p sure it's a guyver situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XEzFqAMRZc&t=302s

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe Steven would just reform around it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe Steven would just reform around it.

Hope they go with this one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Koos Goop posted:

I'd say this is probably the most probable given what we've seen so far. But it's pretty obvious that Steven's body isn't that of a typical 8(?) year old boy. He's been shown to be quite physically strong, able to take large rocks to the noggin' with nothing but a very tiny scratch, and can hold his breath very a very long time. Seriously, try and hold your breath from the last time Steven takes a breath in Lion's mane to when he stumbles out again and then imagine an 8 year old's tiny lungs lasting just as long.

Whatever he is, it's not just a regular human boy with gem powers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Steven only went about a minute without air in Lion's mane, and 3 is the normal human limit. The record is 22 minutes. Steven's normal.

He hasn't done anything that would severly injure a normal person yet, although god knows he's come close.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the rock from Coach Steven and the fall from the cliff in Stevens Lion would both be bad enough to seriously harm a typical mortal, 8 years old or not.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It's hard to tell if that's supposed to mean he's particularly durable, or if it's just part of how cartoons (and fiction in general) handle violence. Like having his van slammed front-first into the ground probably should've killed Greg instead of just breaking his leg, but that's more a suspension of disbelief thing rather than indicating he's part-Gem too. (Probably. :tinfoil:)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

I'd say this is probably the most probable given what we've seen so far. But it's pretty obvious that Steven's body isn't that of a typical 8(?) year old boy. He's been shown to be quite physically strong, able to take large rocks to the noggin' with nothing but a very tiny scratch, and can hold his breath very a very long time. Seriously, try and hold your breath from the last time Steven takes a breath in Lion's mane to when he stumbles out again and then imagine an 8 year old's tiny lungs lasting just as long.

Whatever he is, it's not just a regular human boy with gem powers.

He is, in fact, a cartoon boy with gem powers.

I mean, a lot of the "normal" Beach City residents are quite resilient. I mean, they're not Bugs Bunny-like, where they'll pop up after getting squished into pancakes, but Lars literally had his mouth set on fire in Joking Victim and he made it out fine. Ronaldo took a good kick in the head from Amethyst THAT SNAKE-PERSON in Keep Beach City Weird and he's fine.

There's a lot to be said for the fact that they are all cartoons. Gives 'em a lot more resistance to injury than us poor normal folk.

e:f,b

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Keep Beach City Weird is one of the best things to come out of Steven Universe:

quote:

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok, so I just finished the final episode of Koala Princess and I don’t want to get too emotional on you guys but I CAN’T STOP CRYING! Koala Princess goes on a walkabout and enters dreamtime and finally MEETS HER KOALA MOTHER FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! SLKDJFSDJ:FS

I’ve got so many feels! These feels are the real deals! On wheels! WHAT AM I SAYING?! I’M GOING CRAZY!!!

Tags: I WAS TOTALLY NOT READY FOR THIS THIS SHOW IS KILLING ME Koala Princess Koara Princess Keep Beach City Crying

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Kill Ronaldo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It must be hard for these professional cartoonists to make themselves draw at a How To Draw Manga level and to try to not make it good.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Drawing badly while still looking good is an acquired skill.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I swear to god, that has to be a reference to Noozles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So ... When are we getting a new episodes. Was this the end of the season?

• Locked thread