Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

I loving loved the cops laughing at the "jokes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The episode had a lot of great rapid-fire jokes. PewDiePie's appearance just wasn't as funny as I was hoping it would be. I kinda felt Matt and Trey could've given him some funnier lines.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Trendsgender, the cops, and Bill Cosby's "Baby It's Cold" made up for a sub-par ending.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Even if this episode wasn't a triumph, I like it so so much better seeing all of you grandpas complain about it. South Park has always been the show that said "gently caress you" to things. The fact that you guys didn't want more PDP and they shoehorned him right into the climax of the episode makes it that much more amazing.

Some poster on the last page said that PDP isn't some underground rags to riches success hero that the show painted him out to be. But... the show never claimed that. It was this thread that made that assumption. A lot of you guys have your loving heads up your rear end when it comes to criticism.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
^ "You don't like it? You sound pretty grandpa. :smug:" confirmed.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I expected Brian Boitano or something else from the earliest days of South Park, seeing as how they started out with their episodes being passed around online and pretty much 99% of South Park's Schtick is commenting on trends and current events. You really couldn't expect them to look down on this trend today, could you?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ShoogaSlim posted:

Some poster on the last page said that PDP isn't some underground rags to riches success hero that the show painted him out to be. But... the show never claimed that. It was this thread that made that assumption. A lot of you guys have your loving heads up your rear end when it comes to criticism.

They literally said he was just a normal guy and not the face of a big company while a record producer was being shot in the background.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Maybe the truth is in the middddddddddddnxndjkdkdkdkfjfjfjdjdjdndndjdndndjxjf

that's ignorant

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
allegedly! allegedly!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was a poo poo ending but overall it was a pretty epic season. Really enjoyed the continuity from Go Fund Yourself all the way through to #HappyHolograms.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

ShoogaSlim posted:

Even if this episode wasn't a triumph, I like it so so much better seeing all of you grandpas complain about it. South Park has always been the show that said "gently caress you" to things. The fact that you guys didn't want more PDP and they shoehorned him right into the climax of the episode makes it that much more amazing.

I don't know if we'll ever get confirmation of this, but it seems that was basically the genesis of the "Randy IS Lorde" bit. Trey and Matt wanted to stick it to Spin magazine and so they ran with the absurd premise that Randy is Lorde, instead of Randy just pretending to be Lorde to impress his son and his friends. Maybe it wasn't the ideal ending to what was nearly a perfect season, but the fact that it pissed so many people off makes it worth it to me.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Exploder posted:

I don't know if we'll ever get confirmation of this, but it seems that was basically the genesis of the "Randy IS Lorde" bit. Trey and Matt wanted to stick it to Spin magazine and so they ran with the absurd premise that Randy is Lorde, instead of Randy just pretending to be Lorde to impress his son and his friends. Maybe it wasn't the ideal ending to what was nearly a perfect season, but the fact that it pissed so many people off makes it worth it to me.

I didn't really mind the ending (because it meant the episode was over) but Cartman was just so loving annoying as Cartmanbrah that it killed both episodes for me.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Cartman has been annoying for 18 seasons; it's the essence of his character.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

So he acted like real LP personalities? And I've never heard anything that pdp did before this ep, but not sounding like he has crud in his mouth puts him well above the other lp'ers I've heard.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I think I was actually half-expecting Taylor Swift to try to rape Bill Cosby, instead of the other way around.

She's a...... unique girl, that one.

If they decide to keep the continuity going, maybe next season we'll hear a Taylor Swift breakup song about Bill Cosby playing in the background somewhere.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ShoogaSlim posted:

This is what's weird to me. I keep seeing people say they thought Cartmanbrah was SO ANNOYING but like... he didn't do anything he hasn't always done. I'm not seeing what it is about Cartmanbrah that is any different from anything else he's done on the show. Is it because he went CARTMANBRAH in a high pitched voice cause he's done high pitched screaming plenty of times on this show. I loved how people interacted with him like he was actually there, and his big villain moment near the end was great.

I dunno, I'm not seeing what's so annoying about Cartmanbrah here compared to the like 200+ other episodes of South Park

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
If you were wondering why the last two episodes even exist. https://twitter.com/SouthPark/status/542869698002432001?s=09

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jesto posted:

If you were wondering why the last two episodes even exist. https://twitter.com/SouthPark/status/542869698002432001?s=09
I like the idea of Trey Parker hearing his 5-year-old stepson likes Pewdiepie so he's like "I'm gonna put him in my cartoon!" and then also puts a Bill Cosby rape joke in it.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Didn't / doesn't PewDiePie scream about rape a lot in his videos and make rape jokes?

I get the feeling anything he sees on South Park isn't too different in tone from PDP.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jesto posted:

Didn't / doesn't PewDiePie scream about rape a lot in his videos and make rape jokes?

I get the feeling anything he sees on South Park isn't too different in tone from PDP.

Allegedly! Allegedly!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jesto posted:

Apparently he used to, but has stopped/severely toned it down once people actually brought up how offensive it is to rape victims.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Ugh, people ruin everything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
People are saying we can't choke and shoot them!
I know we can't choke them, but we're trying! Tell them we're working on it!

:vince:

The episode was a bit messy but it had jokes up the rear end, and the biggest troll with PDP at the end was awesome. A solid conclusion to a great season.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I still don't get what a pewdiepie is, but whatever, I'm fine with being a grandpa.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

One of the Tweets during the Baby It's Cold Outside duet was @StanzMom saying "HE'S IN THE BEDROOM!"

It might be worth a rewatch just to read the Tweets. :lol:

e- Another is @StepOneUnderPants, while a further is @ScroatCoat.

e2- And @ShakeWeightFan, @ImFlying_Shamon. It could be a game to go through and see how many Twitter handles are previous episode references.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yeah, but he was more tolerable before he became current events, topical, beaten-into-the-ground anti-Semitic, just downright rear end in a top hat Cartman. But maybe that's because I have a personal case of PTSD seeing as my younger brother has been living, breathing rear end in a top hat Cartman for a few years now, employing many of the same traits (he doesn't watch the show, go figure).

Macaluso posted:

... he didn't do anything he hasn't always done. I'm not seeing what it is about Cartmanbrah that is any different from anything else he's done on the show. Is it because he went CARTMANBRAH in a high pitched voice cause he's done high pitched screaming plenty of times on this show. I loved how people interacted with him like he was actually there, and his big villain moment near the end was great.

I dunno, I'm not seeing what's so annoying about Cartmanbrah here compared to the like 200+ other episodes of South Park

High-pitched "But moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom, I have to have Chinpokomon dolls so I'll be like the other kids and not be super lame at schoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool" was funnier than high-pitched parody of some internet douchebag "HA, what's Lady Gaga doing singing Christmas Carols, isn't she Jewish?" in a little box for 15 minutes of a 23 minute episode.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 12, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Seriously. Sit down and think about this for a moment. What the gently caress would the point of the CartmanBrah character/gag be if the audience didn't find it annoying? What would the point of the ending where PewDiePie takes over the show be if the audience didn't feel personally offended that low art was infringing on their high art?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dude, I'm just here to laugh at the dick jokes.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

That episode was worth it just for lovely posts like this:

Kuuenbu posted:

I still wish they had Slowbeef or some other pre-scarecam LP personality show up for some additional meta-humor.

loving really.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Doesn't slowbeef have cancer of the rear end?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Pewpewdie's youtube channel has tens of millions of subscribers. Slowbeef has, what, 50? Yeah, they could have brought in some old timers, but would seeing an unpopular, 40 year old dude talking about Dragon Age 3 be anything but incredibly depressing?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I had to pause and laugh at "Shelly? Who's Shelly? That's ignorant!", hol-ee poo poo

Also count me in for being geared up for Mr. Hankey, I figured everyone was alluding to his return with the way they said "Peeewdiepie!" like Mr. Hankey's ol' "Hoooooow-dee ho!"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Not a fan of PDP but I liked his inclusion. I find him annoying and CartmanBrah was a perfect representation of it. I loved the board room scene where CartmanBrah was commenting on over 20 something writers that missed the fad and didn't want to be old because I can totally see that being a thing now. Fads are coming and going so quickly that I'm sure there's a generation out there now that's 2-3 years out of college and acts like they have the pulse of the "teen" scene but really aren't as connected as they think and are probably "informed" by 15 year olds who are doing internships and feel incredibly threatened.

My favorite parts of the episode were easily the police scenes though. Bill Cobsy was great but I felt like he his dialogue after his opening line never measured up. The callbacks were all great, it's interesting seeing them go to more continuous stories and referencing old episodes more often.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Doesn't slowbeef have cancer of the rear end?

That's Totalbiscuit

Which ended up being pretty funny, considering:

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 12, 2014

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

gay skull posted:

I had to pause and laugh at "Shelly? Who's Shelly? That's ignorant!", hol-ee poo poo

This went over and continues to go over my head. What's the joke?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Randandal posted:

This went over and continues to go over my head. What's the joke?

It's one of those jokes that will never be funny if you didn't laugh the first time, and isn't funny anymore when you know it's coming. But here's an explanation anyway:

You've been hearing MIchael Jackson call everyone and everything ignorant to that point, so when Shelly was mentioned (who has absolutely nothing to do with MJ), he just spits out a "That's ignorant!", which is entirely within his character. However, every time he said so he had an appropriate context in one form or another, and had reasons for being high strung and defensive. He is safe with the Marsh family, and Randy talking about being Lorde gives him absolutely dead zero reason to be defensive.

So, now that you're so used to MJ defending himself, you automatically look for a double entendre alluding to his pedophile allegations as a joke. There isn't one in that scene, so it's a quick bait and switch joke with a long, subtle buildup. It's not like MJ's grand finale joke or anything, but it was so cleverly written and timed that I laughed way too hard at it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked cartman making fun of the 40 year old trying to look 20 (bieber haircut.) That's so LA.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Jesto posted:

I guess it's funny in the sense that Kyle wanted to summon a talking piece of poo poo and got PewDiePie instead? If that was even the intended joke.

Listen to PewDiePie say his "PEEEEWWWWDEEPIIIIEEE!" and listen to Mr. Hankey's "HIIIIIDEY HO!". It's basically note-for-note. This has to be at least part of what they were going for.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I like the idea of Trey Parker hearing his 5-year-old stepson likes Pewdiepie so he's like "I'm gonna put him in my cartoon!" and then also puts a Bill Cosby rape joke in it.

His stepson is actually 12 or 13 now.

Moacher posted:

Listen to PewDiePie say his "PEEEEWWWWDEEPIIIIEEE!" and listen to Mr. Hankey's "HIIIIIDEY HO!". It's basically note-for-note. This has to be at least part of what they were going for.

And PewDiePie delivered - he's said Mr. Hankey inspired his nick.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 12, 2014

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Pewpewdie's youtube channel has tens of millions of subscribers. Slowbeef has, what, 50? Yeah, they could have brought in some old timers, but would seeing an unpopular, 40 year old dude talking about Dragon Age 3 be anything but incredibly depressing?

Of course it wouldn't, which is why it would make for a natural SP target.

Jesto posted:

I remember him screaming about rape but I don't remember him making actual jokes. That's kind of a big difference between gently caress it

Kuuenbu fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE IS MY COFFEE
Apr 22, 2009

WHO PUT THAT UP THERE
YOU GUYS ARE ASSHOLES
I think South Park wants to boost streaming revenue on their new site by recruiting new viewers from a younger demographic. :tinfoil:

Pewdiepie has 100 zillion subscribers. If a tenth of those subscribers watch the South Park episode with PDP in it, South Park gets 10 zillion views. Or 20 zillion, if the new viewers watch the whole two-parter.

If a tenth of those viewers like what they see, and go on to watch the entire run of South Park, then South Park gets 257 zillion views on all their videos. All of this from brand new viewers who will perpetuate the show to a new generation.

:10bux:

• Locked thread