Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ansel autisms posted:

Just enjoy yourself man

Yeah this is basically how I feel when I'm on a trip doing "touristy" things. Like I'm never going to take a better photo of Disneyworld fireworks or castles or whatever else they have in their PR materials. So why bother? I focus more on taking photos of my family doing fun things, and for that I just need a small camera that takes good enough photos that I can keep with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Alright, the question sounded pretty stupid even as I was typing it, thanks for the wakeup call. I'll just stuff the RX100 in my jorts and I'll be good to go.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Geektox posted:

Alright, the question sounded pretty stupid even as I was typing it, thanks for the wakeup call. I'll just stuff the RX100 in my jorts and I'll be good to go.

The xt1 would be fine too, just don't bring a plethora of glass with you. poo poo be heavy after hours of schlepping it around in a dole whip and turkey leg coma.

Are you going to be able to leave this stuff with someone else on the bigger rides? I wouldn't bring any camera with me on stuff like rock & rollercoaster/everest/tower of terror.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bring the XT-1 and a single wideish fast prime, I'd say. X100 isn't really an exited kids running around kind of camera.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Went to Disney California Adventure recently and the X100S worked well enough there. I forgot about the lovely battery and shittier battery meter, though, so I had to finish the night with my phone.

Album link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/khyrre/sets/72157649114300199/

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Geektox posted:

Hey thanks, I appreciate that. It was in my Canadian nature to apologize.

On a different topic, I'm going to Disney World in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering how much gear to bring and how best to carry it. I'm interested in getting photos of the parades and fireworks and pictures of my little brother with the costumed people, so I was thinking I'd have the X-T1 with 2-3 primes and my RX100, if I'm going to do nighttime shots I'd have my small Benro tripod as well. Is that too much poo poo to carry on rides? I figure it could all fit in a small sling type bag.

The good news is that pretty much every ride I can think of has a sizable container big enough to fit like an average sized photo bag, a diaper bag, or a large women's purse. There was one ride that didn't but I can't remember which one it was and I think it was lame anyway. Not sure how big your tripod is but if you are carrying your tripod on rides I suspect you will have problems.

The bad news is that halfway around the Epcot circle on day 3 of 12 hour days lugging a D7000, a 10-24, a 35 1.8G, and an SB600 I felt like the bag was going to loving crush my shoulder and leave me huddled on the ground, dying. If my friend hadn't held the bag for me for the rest of that day I may not have made it here to post this warning for you.

It really comes down to what kind of trip you are taking. Are you either by yourself or with people who will have no problem accommodating you if you want to stop for ten minutes to line up some tripod assisted night time shot with the tripod you either took a special midday trip back to the hotel to get or lugged awkwardly around all day? Will they be cool with camping out 30min to an hour ahead of time for a good viewing spot for fireworks shots? If the answers to those questions are no then give up the dream and take snapshots of those scenes. There are plenty of neat things to take pictures of in Disney that are not traditional landscapey shots. The parades are well lit enough that your X-T1 and one of your baller fuji primes will take very nice photos. The RX100 would be ok too but the fuji would be great. Depending on where you stand for the night time parades there will be streetlights on that you can take advantage of for photographing the performers.

Imo take either your X-T1 w/ one lens (maaaaybe 2) or your RX100. I liked having the SB600 and it made some of my night time pictures into keepers but it is almost certainly not worth the weight.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Geektox posted:

Hey thanks, I appreciate that. It was in my Canadian nature to apologize.

On a different topic, I'm going to Disney World in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering how much gear to bring and how best to carry it. I'm interested in getting photos of the parades and fireworks and pictures of my little brother with the costumed people, so I was thinking I'd have the X-T1 with 2-3 primes and my RX100, if I'm going to do nighttime shots I'd have my small Benro tripod as well. Is that too much poo poo to carry on rides? I figure it could all fit in a small sling type bag.

Olympus XA or Stylus Epic and Portra 400 :colbert:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
How does film handle x-ray scanners?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

Unexposed low ISO film is generally fine, but you can ask the TSA to hand check the film instead of going through a scanner.

Spedman posted:

Olympus XA or Stylus Epic and Portra 400 :colbert:

That's actually not a bad idea, but I can't find any local stores with Portra in stock. Wonder if there's any photo shops down in Florida. Alternatively, any places in :canada: with Portra and relatively fast delivery?

That's good advice. I'll also have a rental car so if by the end of the night I'm not too tuckered out I could also leave my night-time stuff in the trunk and grab it.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 13, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Geektox posted:

Unexposed low ISO film is generally fine, but you can ask the TSA to hand check the film instead of going through a scanner.

That's actually not a bad idea, but I can't find any local stores with Portra in stock. Wonder if there's any photo shops down in Florida. Alternatively, any places in :canada: with Portra and relatively fast delivery?

That's good advice. I'll also have a rental car so if by the end of the night I'm not too tuckered out I could also leave my night-time stuff in the trunk and grab it.

Just be aware it's usually a tram ride or really long hike back to your car unless you're there first thing in the AM. And at Magic kingdom it's a monorail or ferry ride back to even where you can get the tram back to your car.

-been to Disney world a lot guy

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

BANME.sh posted:

I've never had a problem sticking film both exposed and unexposed through x-ray scanners dozens of times on a holiday, Portra 400 and Instax. I even put Instax in my checked luggage and it was fine.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

ansel autisms posted:

Just get moderately stoned and enjoy yourself man

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah if you look through Flickr for people who have really nice Disney shots like fireworks and read the comments you'll find out that the best shots belong to people who are located in Florida and frequently visit for the sole purpose of taking pictures. It's difficult to make serious photo taking at Disney a part of a family vacation. Like you kind of need to location scout and lug gear both of which are tough (but not impossible) to do while you are wandering around enjoying yourself.

Dren fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 13, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

When and how do you guys use exposure compensation?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Dren posted:

Yeah if you look through Flickr for people who have really nice Disney shots like fireworks and read the comments you'll find out that the best shots belong to people who are located in Florida and frequently visit for the sole purpose of taking pictures. It's difficult to make serious photo taking at Disney a part of a family vacation. Like you kind of need to location scout and lug gear both of which are tough (but not impossible) to do while you are wandering around enjoying yourself.

Yup - if it's not someplace you go often, you want to cram in as much as humanly possible in the time you have, not wait 2 hours patiently to reserve the -perfect- spot for fireworks or parade photos. And if you're there with a small child, your plans don't mean poo poo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't because I always use manual exposure, but I guess it can help if you're using one of the priority modes and know that the camera will not accurately expose the scene without intervention (like a subject against a very harshly backlit background).

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

Whenever you either want to (for effect) or need to (because the camera meter is being fooled by the scene)

The meter is looking at the whole scene and saying "make this average to a middle gray tone exposure" - which is fine if your scene is a perfect mix of tones. If it's predominantly white or really light tones (ice rink, snow, etc) it's going to underexpose it like crazy, because it wants to make that giant field of snow into gray. So you +EC. If it's predominantly dark tones/black (pavement, a whole bunch of groomsmen standing on a dark carpet in tuxes) it's going to overexpose it to make the black into gray. So you -EC

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

1st AD posted:

I don't because I always use manual exposure, but I guess it can help if you're using one of the priority modes and know that the camera will not accurately expose the scene without intervention (like a subject against a very harshly backlit background).

You forgot the :smug: in your post.

Google Butt posted:

I use it a lot with things like snowy scenes, or in very dark environments with spot lighting when I'm too lazy to switch to spot metering.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Also do people still need EC on something like a mirrorless system? I figure you get pretty accurate exposure information in your EVF and can open up or stop down as needed.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah, I just asked because I got my a7ii and saw the dial there. I've never used it in the past with my 7d, must because I too, shoot mostly in manual mode.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

1st AD posted:

Also do people still need EC on something like a mirrorless system? I figure you get pretty accurate exposure information in your EVF and can open up or stop down as needed.

Of course you still need it, it's not about exposure information, it's about getting a priority mode to better adapt to how you want a scene to be shot. Full manual control is cool and all, but I still shoot mostly in aperture priority even though I have enough dials to work full manual without too much trouble.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Yeah, I just asked because I got my a7ii and saw the dial there. I've never used it in the past with my 7d, must because I too, shoot mostly in manual mode.

:respek:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

1st AD posted:

Yup, I use aperture priority on my Fujis because the EC dial is right there and easy to adjust if I want the scene darker or lighter. For me it's faster than manually adjusting exposure.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Where is the limit for ISO as far as what makes a good picture?

I've been trying to take fast shutter pictures in a low-light environment, so the only way I've been able to do it with the equipment I have is to crank up the ISO. Basically, I recently got a decent camera and I'm completely new to this, and I've been trying to take pictures of my dog.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It depends on your camera and what you're using the picture for. I tend to not go over 3200, though 6400 is usable on my camera with care.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Elliotw2 posted:

It depends on your camera and what you're using the picture for. I tend to not go over 3200, though 6400 is usable on my camera with care.

It's a Canon t5i. Main reason I have to crank the ISO is that I only have the stock 18-55mm lens, so the aperture only goes so far.

I've been shooting in full manual so I can start to learn how all the settings work, and our dog happens to be easy subject matter. The lighting is such that I can't get any decent pictures of him at anything less than 800, and even then he has to be basically sitting still...which is a tall order. Even at 800, I can't set the shutter speed any slower than 1/30 or he'll be a blurry ball of fur.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

t5i's new enough that 1600 or so should be workable, and that'll let you bump up the shutter speed a decent bit more. If you do a lot of low light shooting, consider getting the Canon f/1.8 50mm used for really cheap. You can also use the flash, but remember to stop down and back up a bit unless you want an overexposed dog.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You can shoot at higher ISO s and get more acceptable results if you switch to black and white.

Generally , we seem to accept a noisy b&w image more than we accept a similarly noisy colour one.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What is a good picture?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

What is a good picture?

What is art?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Art isn't made over 800 ISO.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

But what if you have an A7s and your base ISO is 3200

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ansel autisms posted:

It's only art if it's on 400 film pushed to 25600.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ansel autisms posted:

*clears throat*
untitled-16.jpg by polysynthesism, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

art is also never made in square crops, noob

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
also you can't make art at night

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Geektox posted:

art is also never made in square crops, noob

poo poo! Time to throw away 60% of my cameras!

deaders posted:

also you can't make art at night

Ouch, right into the raison d'etre.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting here

I want to be better at Lightroom. Is there a good website/video series/book that would help me with file management tricks and some light photo editing?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

deaders posted:

also you can't make art at night without a leica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Just admit it, you can't make art.