Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

Ahaha, I've been looking for this for a bit. The reaction to "They Call Me Baba Booey".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfP-mZzQ7hM

About two and a half hours in Robin and Howard discover all of the horrible song lists that Gary threw into his book, and his bizarre commentary on the audio version.

The best part is, it still holds up.

I wonder how well Robin's book sold compared to Gary's (her autobiography, not that vegan lifestyle horseshit).

edit: Holy gently caress Amazon wants EIGHT DOLLARS for a Kindle copy of that Vegucation book.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

haljordan posted:

I wonder how well Robin's book sold compared to Gary's (her autobiography, not that vegan lifestyle horseshit).

"Quivers: A Life". Just the title is hilarious to me, but perhaps because I just hear Jackie reading excerpts of it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

haljordan posted:

edit: Holy gently caress Amazon wants EIGHT DOLLARS for a Kindle copy of that Vegucation book.

It did not do well if I remember correctly. It was just piggybacking on the insane popularity of the show during the mid-90s and Howard's recent publishing of Private Parts. It was a very "Jackie" thing to do.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Who else from the show had a book? Stuttering John?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Just Gary. John was approached multiple times for one but Howard never gave the OK and rightfully so even though you know the book would be juicy.

e: totally forgot about Artie.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 12, 2014

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Just Gary. John was approached multiple times for one but Howard never gave the OK and rightfully so even though you know the book would be juicy.

If he hadn't somehow managed to fall rear end backwards into the Leno gig, I bet we would've gotten one hell of a scathing "gently caress it I need money" tell all once he quit the show/got fired.

Actually I'm surprised Jackie never tried that. Probably because he knew Howard would completely bury him with poo poo he normally wouldn't mention on air.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 12, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm trying to suffer through Artie's latest special. It's depressing how stand up comedy is like the least funny vehicle for him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

I'm trying to suffer through Artie's latest special. It's depressing how stand up comedy is like the least funny vehicle for him.

Are you at the part where he rags on the gays yet?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Artie on Queer Eye was probably the most painfully sad thing in the history of the show, worse even than the remake of Homocop.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I got to some stories that were mildly amusing at best but not quite crafted jokes. All interspersed with him reading tweets and doing impressions. It's stuck on pause because I'm dreading that he's going to start taking out puppets or props.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Artie on Queer Eye was probably the most painfully sad thing in the history of the show, worse even than the remake of Homocop.

I actually love that segment, but only because it features a great call from a guy who completely excoriates not just Artie for being a completely homophobic dickwad but also Howard for constantly enabling Artie and letting him spew his hate speech (while simultaneously railing against the Pope for his stance on homosexuality). It's featured in one of the Todd Packer Artie packs, lemme see if I can find it.

The caller was completely spot on, pretty much no one jumps in to defend Artie.

edit: Found it, start listening at around the 42 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQrFs92TKMo

haljordan fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 12, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'll be honest and say I've heard about 5 minutes of Artie's standup and I had to stop it. It's weird to be so mediocre at that and so amazing on the show. He was the perfect replacement and both Howard and Artie lucked into each other. There are some other funny comedians who were big fans of the show but I'm not sure they had the willingness to ruin themselves for the show like Artie. Artie was open about so much and he knew that was ultimately the key to success for him on the show. He was funny but so are a lot of other people but he brought it every time when it came to telling low-life stories about the weird and wild poo poo in his life as a working class junkie.

Artie's stuff hit harder than Jackie because it was so much more real. Jackie offered up a lot but he didn't give a gently caress. Howard and the gang's opinion of him mattered for squat so he was unassailable in that aspect so he just gave stuff up to goof on because he knew it was good for the show.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

I'll be honest and say I've heard about 5 minutes of Artie's standup and I had to stop it. It's weird to be so mediocre at that and so amazing on the show. He was the perfect replacement and both Howard and Artie lucked into each other. There are some other funny comedians who were big fans of the show but I'm not sure they had the willingness to ruin themselves for the show like Artie. Artie was open about so much and he knew that was ultimately the key to success for him on the show. He was funny but so are a lot of other people but he brought it every time when it came to telling low-life stories about the weird and wild poo poo in his life as a working class junkie.

Artie's stuff hit harder than Jackie because it was so much more real. Jackie offered up a lot but he didn't give a gently caress. Howard and the gang's opinion of him mattered for squat so he was unassailable in that aspect so he just gave stuff up to goof on because he knew it was good for the show.

Jackie was the best because someone would bring up something completely ridiculous Jackie did (usually while bombed) and he would deny the poo poo out of it for like ten minutes and then just admit that everything that was being said was true.

A prime example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZiWWYOhqjg

haljordan fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 12, 2014

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Poor Billy worked there for how long and they never got him a seat with the rest of the crew. He had to sit back in the corner like a kid in detention.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

He was kept close to Jackie and Fred because they wrote for him. Other than that there's just no space in that tiny studio, I don't think they did it to be dicks. There's just nowhere to put him that kept him in arm's length of the writers and their paper and unlike now where Benjy writes a joke and puts it under a monitor for Howard to see, that simply wasn't a thing back then.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Throw Robin out and put him in the booth :colbert:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

"Quivers a Life" is by far the worst Stern show book, and Gary's book easily the best one.

In order:
Becoming Bababooey
Private Parts
Miss America
Too fat to Fish
Quivers a Life

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
"So these are ten records that if I had to go to a desert island I could only bring them with me, what would I bring."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"Top ten records played at Music World in 1982. Now I'm not saying they're good records, or that I like them, but.."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I laughed out lout (in the middle of my office, at work :argh:) at "These are the top 10 records to listen to while making top 10 lists."

EDIT: The fact that Gary was MORE upset at Robin laughing that Howard (repeatedly) saying something like "You're a loving weirdo with these lists!" makes no sense to me. :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 12, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Uhh, guys, when did this happen:

And is there more?

EDIT: Still listening to the Gary Book goofing youtube compilation, and near the end:

<hours of goofing>
Howard: "Let's take a call."
Caller on the air: "Hey, Howard, I've got hairs on my penis shaft..."

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 12, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Uhh, guys, when did this happen:

And is there more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA-3Tfn8TxY

Judging by the too-short video, it's going to be mid-to-late-90s, when the show was on E, but before Jackie left.

Edit: Thanks to marksfriggin:

November 21, 1998 Show #14
Cindy Margolis and her friend Elisa play Strip Homeless Game.
Robin flashes her giant breasts when she loses the strip game.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hahahahaha that xvideos watermark in the thumbnail, dudes literally have beaten off to that clip

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Hahahahaha that xvideos watermark in the thumbnail, dudes literally have beaten off to that clip

Four inches is fine!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, that gary book goof compilation was some of the best stuff I've heard, holy poo poo.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

When I saw this picture I immediately started singing- "Release Robin's bra... Release Robin's bra... Release Robin's bra, so I can see those brown ta-ta's"

Classic! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXunV8gDYGU&t=252s

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, that gary book goof compilation was some of the best stuff I've heard, holy poo poo.

I'm listening to it now and Booey getting angry at Robin throwing a baseball better than him is hysterical.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Last weekend we were pretty drunk and decided to replicate the legendary Richard Christy Buffet Call (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOB4j3D_mD0) and it is amazing that every single Golden Corral will react the exact same. I guess they aren't allowed to tell you to gently caress off. It worked every loving time, no joke. We called grocery stores (do you have carrots, good, onions, good), chinese buffets, pizza places, auto zone, etc. The only business that told us to gently caress off was an asian grocery store. I couldn't believe it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

"Hello, airwave polluter."

Props to the fans who recognize that line.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crotch Bat posted:

"Hello, airwave polluter."

Props to the fans who recognize that line.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The start of the holiday season really is when I hear "Release Robin's Bra".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

The start of the holiday season really is when I hear "Release Robin's Bra".

Me too!

My enjoyment of it has been greatly enhanced by how much George loves it, too. :3:

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I have a massive collection of Richard and Sal prank calls but there's one I cannot find for the life of me.

They call up tradio, and its like "Hi, I'm auctioning off a $20 bill, opening bid at $25, please", and the host keeps going "Why would someone pay $25 for a $20 bill?" and then they keep asking the host if HE wants to buy it.

Anyone know the clip?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

GenoCanSing posted:

I have a massive collection of Richard and Sal prank calls but there's one I cannot find for the life of me.

They call up tradio, and its like "Hi, I'm auctioning off a $20 bill, opening bid at $25, please", and the host keeps going "Why would someone pay $25 for a $20 bill?" and then they keep asking the host if HE wants to buy it.

Anyone know the clip?
Here it is. It's apparently at a Canadian tradio station. Didn't know we had those in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr_8ZPA9irE

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Celery Face posted:

Here it is. It's apparently at a Canadian tradio station. Didn't know we had those in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr_8ZPA9irE

When I moved to Saskatoon a couple years ago, I was laughing my rear end off when listening to the local radio at a family member's place because a Swap Shop/Tradio was on the radio. It was impossible to listen to if not only for reminiscing about the Sal/Richard calls.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I do enjoy listening to interviews on old shows where some young tosser has just got married and then googling them to see how that went. Was listening to december 16th 2008 today, with that dipshit pete wentz who had just had a kid with ashlee simpson and he was spasticly rambling on about how great it was and how much he loved her etc etc etc. I thought no way that lasted with those 2 retards, a quick google away divorced in 2011.

Its a fun game.

e: to be fair pete seems like a nice man he is just a bit ... dopey

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 14, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Whoever ghost tweets for Sheik is amazing. It's so hilariously inappropriate and you read everything in Sheik's voice so just you see "SETH GREEN INTELLIGENT JEW" and start laughing hysterically in the grocery store while your girlfriend tries to pretend she's not actually there with you.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Crotch Bat posted:

Whoever ghost tweets for Sheik is amazing. It's so hilariously inappropriate and you read everything in Sheik's voice so just you see "SETH GREEN INTELLIGENT JEW" and start laughing hysterically in the grocery store while your girlfriend tries to pretend she's not actually there with you.

You lost some points for not reading his tweets outloud in his accent.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

You lost some points for not reading his tweets outloud in his accent.

IGGY AZALEA IS THE PEPPERONI TITS JABRONI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I still like to think the Sheik himself is typing those up. Mangling his phone with his thumbs, yelling at it while he types.