Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Just wanted to say that I am really sick of whiny nerds complaining about Treasure Cruise and wanting it to be banned. It's been like that for the last 2 or 3 FNMs. I have heard every terrible argument in favor of banning Cruise so many times and I'm so sick of hearing them.

Uh, what format? It absolutely should be banned in modern considering it's much more powerful than Ponder, Preordain, or Ancestral Visions. It's fine in legacy for the most part. The fact that even burn splashes it for U: take 6-12 is pretty miserable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

suicidesteve posted:

Uh, what format? It absolutely should be banned in modern considering it's much more powerful than Ponder, Preordain, or Ancestral Visions. It's fine in legacy for the most part. The fact that even burn splashes it for U: take 6-12 is pretty miserable though.

One is, unless you're very much built around it's pretty difficult to cast it for U twice.
It's a very strong card, but UR Delver is really only so common on Modo because it's an order of magnitude cheaper than other decks.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Anti-Citizen posted:

One is, unless you're very much built around it's pretty difficult to cast it for U twice.
It's a very strong card, but UR Delver is really only so common on Modo because it's an order of magnitude cheaper than other decks.

My local LGS's Legacy event has been about 75% U/R Delver in the past month

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

TheTofuShop posted:

My local LGS's Legacy event has been about 75% U/R Delver in the past month

It's also cheaper irl, it doesn't shake out in big events where it becomes one of many good decks, because it's the only thing that really plays well against green right now. Would you rather go into a format dependent on Nobel Hierach?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Anti-Citizen posted:

Would you rather go into a format dependent on Nobel Hierach?

I'm now having all of my Hierarchs altered with portraits of Alfred Nobel.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Abzan whip mirrors are so boring.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Abzan whip mirrors are so boring.

What do you mean, I love watching life totals swing back and forth until one guy can't lifelink anymore 30+ minutes later.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mercury Crusader posted:

What do you mean, I love watching life totals swing back and forth until one guy can't lifelink anymore 30+ minutes later.

This but unironically.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is this the first time Ross has been on stream this weekend?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

qbert posted:

Is this the first time Ross has been on stream this weekend?

Which one? :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty sure that Ross lost to 2 Whip decks yesterday and it's probably not because he was outplayed.

Ross is 7-1 in Standard this weekend, so I'm pretty sure he didn't. Also I just watched him beat Ross Merriam's Abzan Reanimator.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

To differentiate, just refer to one as The Boss.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Anti-Citizen posted:

I agree with this 100%. I don't think cruise should be banned in any format. There might be some reason it should be restricted in vintage, but I don't care. R/U Delver has been tier 2 forever, and the modern version of delver felt really bad. Delver pitching to fow is a big part of the deck, and so is the brainstorm ponder synergy. R/U delver in modern finally got its brainstorm replacement. It still is not an unstoppable deck by any means.

As much as modern delver has benefited from cruise, holy poo poo does it make sac lands tendrils so much better. You can screw up the math and not have threshold when you need it, but drat.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Triple Jeskai Ascendancy in legacy on stream right now. :allears:

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
Could anyone elaborate a rule for me?

Last night at FNM, I was playing some Middle Aged guy with a neck beard and belly to match running full rabble red in standard, who has the most annoying belly laugh for every single card played. Even a mountain...

He attempts to Stoke the Flames directly at my Sorin, I explain that it's a false move due to the card text, player or creature. He tries to replay the turn, now this may be my inexperience where people I've played have forced me to let the spell whiff, which I did to him, nullifying his entire turn effectively.

The judge rule later: Stoke can be cast at a player, but on resolution can be re-directed at a planeswalker? This seems odd to me as that's like me swinging for X damage at a player, but when it resolves I'll resolve the damage on the planeswalker.

Additionally, should a spell cast at an incorrect target whiff?

The positive upside is the guy literally ragequit the event an went home, which I had to laugh about.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Anti-Citizen posted:

It's also cheaper irl, it doesn't shake out in big events where it becomes one of many good decks, because it's the only thing that really plays well against green right now. Would you rather go into a format dependent on Nobel Hierach?

I also play in Modern, with Pod :smithicide:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SierraNovember posted:

He attempts to Stoke the Flames directly at my Sorin, I explain that it's a false move due to the card text, player or creature. He tries to replay the turn, now this may be my inexperience where people I've played have forced me to let the spell whiff, which I did to him, nullifying his entire turn effectively.

The judge rule later: Stoke can be cast at a player, but on resolution can be re-directed at a planeswalker? This seems odd to me as that's like me swinging for X damage at a player, but when it resolves I'll resolve the damage on the planeswalker.

Uh, this is exactly how it works. You can use spells and abilities that deal damage directly to a player, and redirect that to a planeswalker. (It's done that way so they didn't have to errata literally every burn spell/ability in the game when they introduced planeswalkers).

You should probably feed bad about trying to rules-lawyer someone out of a totally valid line of play instead of just playing the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SierraNovember posted:

Last night at FNM, I was playing some Middle Aged guy with a neck beard and belly to match running full rabble red in standard, who has the most annoying belly laugh for every single card played. Even a mountain...

The positive upside is the guy literally ragequit the event an went home, which I had to laugh about.

Whenever a spell or ability you control would do damage to an opponent, you may choose to redirect the damage to a planeswalker they control. This is to allow all the literal decade of burn spells printed before planeswalkers to function correctly.

e: also if someone tries to cast a spell with an illegal target (e.g. hero's downfall on a creature with hexproof), you can't tell them that the spell fizzles because they did it wrong. It has to be taken back, because they weren't even allowed to target the creature in the first place. Casting the spell never happened, because it was illegal.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SierraNovember posted:

One of the basic rules of planeswalkers is that noncombat damage can be redirected to them, so that pre-lorwyn burn spells don't get obsoleted.

Look at the rulings of literally any planeswalker:

Gatherer posted:

7/1/2013 If a source you control would deal noncombat damage to an opponent, you may have that source deal that damage to a planeswalker that opponent controls instead. For example, although you can’t target a planeswalker with Shock, you can target your opponent with Shock, and then as Shock resolves, choose to have Shock deal its 2 damage to one of your opponent’s planeswalkers. (You can’t split up that damage between different players and/or planeswalkers.) If you have Shock deal its damage to a planeswalker, two loyalty counters are removed from it.

e:f,b but lol you sound fun to play with

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

e:f,b but lol you sound fun to play with

To be fair, maybe he saw Fated Conflagration which does specify planeswalker, and thought that's how it works now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

I have a couple friends who drove several hours today to play at the Baltimore GP and will be driving back tomorrow. In the middle of finals week. Keep chasing that dream. :allears:
At least they're not my friends, who drive to GPs, don't have time to cube because they do GPTs/PTQs every weekend, but don't playtest and prefer to play at the weakest FNM with terrible prize support because they feel good about winning nearly every weak. Week. Did I say weak? IT loving IS.

The saddest loving dream. Neither of them have Q'd or made day 2 yet.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Is going to a GP in the nearest city to have a good time and enjoy myself, despite not being a pro player or anything, unreasonable?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Keiya posted:

Is going to a GP in the nearest city to have a good time and enjoy myself, despite not being a pro player or anything, unreasonable?

Not at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Ross is 7-1 in Standard this weekend, so I'm pretty sure he didn't. Also I just watched him beat Ross Merriam's Abzan Reanimator.

Saw that. Merriam drew terribly.

I'm rooting for Ross though.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 14, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Keiya posted:

It is a magic con. It is quite fun.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone point me to a good source for decent proxies? The group I play with is very casual and I would love to get a set of dual lands and other legacy staples to throw in my EDH decks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just saw this tweet on my feed.

@mtgRikipedia posted:

#GPBaltimore there have been 6 Game Losses for morphs... or more accurately playing a non-morph face down. Players will always find a way.

The stupidity of Magic players will never cease to amaze me.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone point me to a good source for decent proxies? The group I play with is very casual and I would love to get a set of dual lands and other legacy staples to throw in my EDH decks.

I use magiccards.info, it has images for pretty much every version and language of most cards. It also has a handy proxy print function that lets you prepare and print a bunch of different cards at once.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Keiya posted:

I haven't even entered the main event at half the grands prix I've been to. I mostly go for trading, gawking at $30k misprint test foil Gaea's Cradles, and being in a huge room full of people with whom I have at least one cool thing in common. Also for eating too much and playing Ascension until 4 AM in the hotel room but that depends on who you go with.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spiderdrake posted:

At least they're not my friends, who drive to GPs, don't have time to cube because they do GPTs/PTQs every weekend, but don't playtest and prefer to play at the weakest FNM with terrible prize support because they feel good about winning nearly every weak. Week. Did I say weak? IT loving IS.

The saddest loving dream. Neither of them have Q'd or made day 2 yet.

There were some creeps who stared at the cheerleaders when I went out to get food. When I came back I told one not to trust them: they'll just ruin your chances at being a wizard.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

MMD3 posted:

If you're on Windows, let me recommend Magic Set Editor. It's nice for creating customized proxies.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

It's also a totally valid shortcut to point the burn spell at the planeswalker to save time, he didn't do anything wrong.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

wildfire1 posted:

It's also a totally valid shortcut to point the burn spell at the planeswalker to save time, he didn't do anything wrong.

I think he mentioned that he didn't know the rule that you could redirect damage to a planeswalker, but still, the guy sounds kind of turdy for gloating about tilting his opponent, especially since he didn't know the rule in the first place.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

SierraNovember posted:

Not only is pointing burn spells at a planeswalker considered a valid shortcut anyway, but someone picking an illegal target does not make a spell 'whiff', that's absurd. If a spell is cast at an impossible target or without a target, the game is rewound to before the spell is cast.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

drat. Started 7-0, but hit two bad matchups in a row at GP Baltimore. Here's to the 64-player single elim PTQ!

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005

Myriad Truths posted:

Not only is pointing burn spells at a planeswalker considered a valid shortcut anyway, but someone picking an illegal target does not make a spell 'whiff', that's absurd. If a spell is cast at an impossible target or without a target, the game is rewound to before the spell is cast.

I've wondered about this too. I just started back into magic and the last few times I went to FNM I had some misplays trying to target Narset or a sagu mauler. Each time the other guy just points to hexproof, and I untap lands and put the spell back into my hand. Is that normal?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Erdos posted:

I've wondered about this too. I just started back into magic and the last few times I went to FNM I had some misplays trying to target Narset or a sagu mauler. Each time the other guy just points to hexproof, and I untap lands and put the spell back into my hand. Is that normal?

Absolutely, yeah, it didn't suddenly gain hex proof or anything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Erdos posted:

Anything else would be illegal, in fact.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Would you technically have to keep your lands tapped (since tapping lands and doing nothing with their mana is legal)? I always let my opponents take back stuff like that but I'm curious as to what the official rules say.

e: Having the spell rewound makes sense though, otherwise you could cast counterspells at permanents for prowess triggers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Mr. Peepers posted:

I use magiccards.info, it has images for pretty much every version and language of most cards. It also has a handy proxy print function that lets you prepare and print a bunch of different cards at once.

that'll be awesome for last minute stuff, kind of hoping to buy some more professional looking proxies though... I don't mind spending $2-5/card for cards that sell for $100-300 like dual lands.

• Locked thread