Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

jonathan posted:

Is there something to adjust so my trailer brakes don't grab so hard ? Trailer is from 1979, has dayton wheels, and no abs, shocks, or airbags.

In this ice, every time I have to slow down, it's like a loving action movie.

Edit: I mean, I suppose I could chain up the trailer... But that would require getting out of the truck and leaving Tinder alone for 2 minutes.

Or back off your slack adjusters way the gently caress off. Then again, you run the risk of your trailer not wanting to stop and coming around on you. Someone might have moved the slack adjusters all the way out so the shoes are just about on the drums. Old timer once said that it was quarter to half a turn on the trailer, one turn on the drives, and three on the steers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Trip meter I reset this morning after fueling up.

yeah, well, gently caress you too truck.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Or back off your slack adjusters way the gently caress off. Then again, you run the risk of your trailer not wanting to stop and coming around on you. Someone might have moved the slack adjusters all the way out so the shoes are just about on the drums. Old timer once said that it was quarter to half a turn on the trailer, one turn on the drives, and three on the steers.

Yeah they're adjusted proper and are auto adjust. Everything is new parts underneath. It's just the application pressure is too much. If I back them off they'd just adjust back within a few hills wouldn't they ?

edit: I was down the Deep Valley road last night and today. He haww I love snow wheelin'. Grande Prairie is forcasted for 50cm of snow by the weekend and Grande Cache (South of us) 100cm. Or roughly 3 feet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Yeah they're adjusted proper and are auto adjust. Everything is new parts underneath. It's just the application pressure is too much. If I back them off they'd just adjust back within a few hills wouldn't they ?

edit: I was down the Deep Valley road last night and today. He haww I love snow wheelin'. Grande Prairie is forcasted for 50cm of snow by the weekend and Grande Cache (South of us) 100cm. Or roughly 3 feet.

I just finished a job South of the brazeau dam. The road was a narrow icy roller coaster.... Then we got a foot of snow.

Almost got out without incident too, but of course on the last round of the last day, the third to last truck dropped the back end of his trailer off the road and shut it down for an hour. The temp dropped from -5 top -18 with a -27 wind chill over the course of the last load too. I have to replace both tail lights on the truck and they are encased in about 8 inches of solid ice.

I'm guessing there are about 4 super B's blocking the left hand Lane of 40 right now preventing the plow from clearing it

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 28, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

You know poo poo is falling apart when dispatchers start calling you drunk as a skunk.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

You know poo poo is falling apart when dispatchers start calling you drunk as a skunk.

No, that's pretty normal.

You know poo poo is falling apart when dispatchers offer you a drink.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, results are in. ~450 incidents of apneas in 8 hours of sleeping.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

Welp, results are in. ~450 incidents of apneas in 8 hours of sleeping.

Good to go right?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Good to go right?

Nope! 2 more weeks to get a "CPAP Study" done and then i get a machine. Meanwhile i haven't heard back from Werner since my 30 days ended. OH well, applying for Poop Tanker jobs.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The upside to a cpap machine is lovely companies can't refuse to let you have a beefy inverter wired in to run it. So go whole hog and get one that will run an entire kitchen.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

Nope! 2 more weeks to get a "CPAP Study" done and then i get a machine. Meanwhile i haven't heard back from Werner since my 30 days ended. OH well, applying for Poop Tanker jobs.

I don't get the whole cpap poo poo anyway, I understand it's a NEW AND MAGICAL issue that ONLY EFFECTS TRUCK DRIVERS, but there isn't a loving law that covers it on the books yet.

Javid posted:

The upside to a cpap machine is lovely companies can't refuse to let you have a beefy inverter wired in to run it. So go whole hog and get one that will run an entire kitchen.

2000 watts of pure cobra power!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I don't get the whole cpap poo poo anyway, I understand it's a NEW AND MAGICAL issue that ONLY EFFECTS TRUCK DRIVERS, but there isn't a loving law that covers it on the books yet.

Football players and fat guys, too. They even have a bunch of the players at UNR on them, I understand.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 221 days!)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They even have a bunch of the players at UNR on them, I understand.

That's because although breathing is involuntary, they just aren't that bright.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

InterceptorV8 posted:

I have a long post in the CPAP thread. I've been on one since 1996. I would not be alive today without it. My blood oxygen level was falling below 50% most nights, and I slept every morning and afternoon during a 40-minute commute.

It's a ton of fun waking up at 75MPH next to a Mobil tanker that wasn't even on the horizon 'a second' ago.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Football players and fat guys, too. They even have a bunch of the players at UNR on them, I understand.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a new fad way to dope blood by raising O2 levels out of normal realm.

PainterofCrap posted:

I have a long post in the CPAP thread. I've been on one since 1996. I would not be alive today without it. My blood oxygen level was falling below 50% most nights, and I slept every morning and afternoon during a 40-minute commute.

It's a ton of fun waking up at 75MPH next to a Mobil tanker that wasn't even on the horizon 'a second' ago.

Now the question is this.

Do doctors, lawyers, nurses, pilots, policemen, pigfuckers, goat-ropers have to take this test for work?

No, they do not.

Most people here haven't seen the government question list for cpap bullshit for drivers. Once again, showing how loving clueless the government is about driving, one of the trigger questions is.

"Do you sleep during the day."

So the night-time guy who runs as night who, surprise, sleeps during the day, will have to take a sleep disorder test if he answers, "Yes"

Now PoC is a big guy, I've seen some pictures and yeah, you are? (used to be) a big guy with a thick neck. That's a trigger.

Smoke? trigger

Drink? trigger

fart after eating beans? trigger.

It's just another couple of grand that the government milks out of people for a problem that isn't a major issue. 80% of truck wrecks are caused by cars and pick-ups, .02% by a fuckin' tard falling asleep behind the wheel of his/her rig, and a smaller percent of those may have nodded because of sleep apena. If you think truckers are bad, you should have seen the loving poo poo pilots used to do. Get into the hotel at 22:45, 04:45 wake up call, and they would be out drinking till last call, 0200. Every loving day.

God I'm getting old and cranky.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of, I need to be up in 2 hours. But after this last quick 200km return run delivering cement powder, I am on days off for a week!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like this is my day today. Loading off another truck who has a lot more difficult drive than I do.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 5, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Now the question is this.

Do doctors, lawyers, nurses, pilots, policemen, pigfuckers, goat-ropers have to take this test for work?

No, they do not.

Most people here haven't seen the government question list for cpap bullshit for drivers. Once again, showing how loving clueless the government is about driving, one of the trigger questions is.

"Do you sleep during the day."

So the night-time guy who runs as night who, surprise, sleeps during the day, will have to take a sleep disorder test if he answers, "Yes"
The sleep study that was used to justify the "two consecutive 1AM to 5AM periods" was a study of nurses that went from 12 hour day shifts to 12 hour night shifts, and found that when people flop schedules like that it's good to have two days off. That's nice. It was not a study of people just staying on night shifts.

I'm a night owl. Before trucking, I delivered pizzas from 5pm to 9pm and then worked 3rd at Target stocking shelves. It was crappy but my body got used to it and I actually didn't like days off where I had to do poo poo during the day.

Now I drive 4PM to 4AM so yes I sleep when the sun is up. While bouncing down the road. I like it.

Here's another thing that I worry about : The HOS is based on the time zone of the home office, so someone in the Eastern Time Zone who drives for CR England based out of SLC has to take their 34 hour restart with two breaks of 3AM to 7AM EST. The laws have no flexibility to deal with the things truckers have to deal with, and truckers have to be flexible as hell to deal with this poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

In honor of the 1am to 5am requirement of the reset getting changed, I give you these:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

from oilfieldfails.

shhhh, trailer's nappin.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

from oilfieldfails.

shhhh, trailer's nappin.

Good thing it was just a little crossover, had a road construction guy do that on a I-80 crossover and flipped his whole rig into the median.

Our tax dollars at work.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lucky duck usually when playing the claw game its hard to get one prize.. two is amazing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Was it occupied? That would be either fun or terrifying.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
How about fun AND terrifying

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Javid posted:

Was it occupied? That would be either fun or terrifying.

The two container ports I've been to here in Australia had strict rules that you could only exit the vehicle to twist the pins off/on in a designated area pretty much right at the front door.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Second picture has been found

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Somebody give that kingpin a medal. drat.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The driver's door being open kinda scares me.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

The driver's door being open kinda scares me.

He most likely ejected himself ASAP.

It's also most likely why the truck is still in the air. Driver crawled up to the crane operator and kicked the everloving poo poo out of him.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InterceptorV8 posted:

He most likely ejected himself ASAP.

It's also most likely why the truck is still in the air. Driver crawled up to the crane operator and kicked the everloving poo poo out of him.

Apparently this is likely at some port in the Netherlands with automated cranes.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Apparently this is likely at some port in the Netherlands with automated cranes.

What, you don't have longshoremen there?

I'll be damned.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Some trucker is now a crewman aboard a chinese container ship, learning their language and fighting pirates.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InterceptorV8 posted:

What, you don't have longshoremen there?

I'll be damned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Rotterdam#Robotic_container_operations

Looking at that I don't know if the crane that takes it off the truck is automatic, and it's only in one terminal. So, who knows. It's what I saw on Reddit when I did a reverse image search. Trying to find useful info on Reddit is kinda tough.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Werner is disputing the two weeks of unemployment i got after they let me go for not being able to get diagnosed with sleep apnea and fitted with a cpap in their 30 day leave. Hooray!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

Werner is disputing the two weeks of unemployment i got after they let me go for not being able to get diagnosed with sleep apnea and fitted with a cpap in their 30 day leave. Hooray!

Very common with megacarriers. Since the government gives them all money to get people off unemployment and or welfare, but they lose it if they can prove a reason to quit.

With England, I had not one, but two company lawyers on the phone hearing fighting against my claim with the judge. Needless to say they lose the case when they claimed I had quit my job two months before I had.

First time I was ever happy to have an inspection report being in one of their trucks after they said I had quit without cause.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my LongBox Ram2500... I'm thinking of swapping the box for a flat deck. However flatdecks for single rear wheel trucks are kind of skinny, so I'm going to go for the wider dually style flat deck. Buut its going to look silly then. What is stopping me from bolting up dually wheels ? The added stability while toy hauling and trailer pulling would be a plus.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Should be just a matter of grabbing a DRW axle/wheels from the JY and swapping them for your SRW axle. Snag some front axle spacers if you want it to match width.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

So my LongBox Ram2500... I'm thinking of swapping the box for a flat deck. However flatdecks for single rear wheel trucks are kind of skinny, so I'm going to go for the wider dually style flat deck. Buut its going to look silly then. What is stopping me from bolting up dually wheels ? The added stability while toy hauling and trailer pulling would be a plus.

Hubcentric 10 lug adapters are only about $800. Then you could just run a super single rear. Fill out the wheel well with some 445 goodyear G278s on 22.5"s.

http://ktperformance.net/i-18698569...front-rear.html

I just did the math. they're 46.1" tall, so you could run 4.56 rear gears and it would give you the same RPM at speed as you would currently have. Then you could run 3.55 front gears with 36" tall tires and the road speed would match. that would be 445/65R22.5 rear, 255/70R22.5 front with 3.55 front, 4.56 rear gears.

Problem solved, you're welcome.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Hubcentric 10 lug adapters are only about $800. Then you could just run a super single rear. Fill out the wheel well with some 445 goodyear G278s on 22.5"s.

http://ktperformance.net/i-18698569...front-rear.html

I just did the math. they're 46.1" tall, so you could run 4.56 rear gears and it would give you the same RPM at speed as you would currently have. Then you could run 3.55 front gears with 36" tall tires and the road speed would match. that would be 445/65R22.5 rear, 255/70R22.5 front with 3.55 front, 4.56 rear gears.

Problem solved, you're welcome.

Thats a lot of changes so I can fit a side by side on the back of the truck. Unless I was The Lord Humungus...

• Locked thread