Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Chiwie posted:

http://www.processwest.com.au/products/subaru/wrx-sti-g3/my08-14-wrx-verticooler-intercooler-system

That seems pretty cool. Is what they are saying true? Or is it like the other not as good as the STi TMIC they have?

My first impression is that it seems kind of silly. Plus it's nearly $1000.

When you are getting to a core that big I don't really like top mounts. They are great for a street type car that doesn't make a huge amount of power, but eventually you are better off going to a front mount and changing how the air flows through the front of the car. A tmic and the radiator are kind of at odds with each other because they are both pumping hot air into the engine bay from different directions. The result is more lift, more drag, and less efficient cooling. So if you really cared about good charge cooling and aerodynamics you would want to ditch the hood scoop and tmic and instead have a fmic and venting out of the top of the hood.

So I guess in conclusion, for under about 400hp just go with a standard upgraded tmic (I really like ETS parts, and perrin is also ok) and a decent radiator and let the extra cooling capacity deal with the inefficiencies of the system. Over that you have to put some thought and effort into cooling or you aren't going to be able to do anything with the car past occasional highway pulls.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Wow, that's an awesome link.

The logging trucks thing sounds pretty sweet. There will definitely be some hooning and camp roads, but my priority right now is DD. In a pinch I can take my wife's car to work, but "a project car I sometimes drive to work" is not in the card right now. My commute is also pretty far, so I'm looking for a job I can take public transit to.

If you don't need a lot of storage, go impreza. If you need some storage but not a lot go outback sport. I daily drive a big fat legacy and while you can throw it around, I miss DDing an impreza for the chassis but not for the creature comforts or lack there of.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Slow is Fast posted:

If you don't need a lot of storage, go impreza. If you need some storage but not a lot go outback sport. I daily drive a big fat legacy and while you can throw it around, I miss DDing an impreza for the chassis but not for the creature comforts or lack there of.

Outback Sport and Impreza (assuming wagon) are going to have the same amount of storage. The Outback Sport is literally just a lifted Impreza wagon with some body trim.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Outback Sport and Impreza (assuming wagon) are going to have the same amount of storage. The Outback Sport is literally just a lifted Impreza wagon with some body trim.

I assumed coupe/sedan when I said impreza. I am aware they are the same car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

I assumed coupe/sedan when I said impreza. I am aware they are the same car.

The rear suspension is the same between the GF (93-01) and GG (02-07) Imprezas, though - I think your original post is assuming that it's a Legacy Outback.

For what it's worth, my 97 Outback Sport was the best car I've ever owned. I'd get another in a heartbeat, if they weren't all run into the ground here.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Newbie question!

I just picked up a 2005 Outback. Saw some rubber rear seat back protectors online, but when I google around, they're only for 2010+. Are there any for the older models, or am I stuck having to jerry rig something together?

Also is there any basic newbie guide to maintenance and a fluid replacement schedule? I tried to do it right and got one with 134k miles and documented replaced head gaskets/timing belt/transmission, so mechanically it's in solid shape. I'd like to do my part to keep it that way.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The rear suspension is the same between the GF (93-01) and GG (02-07) Imprezas, though - I think your original post is assuming that it's a Legacy Outback.

For what it's worth, my 97 Outback Sport was the best car I've ever owned. I'd get another in a heartbeat, if they weren't all run into the ground here.

I have no idea at this point. Get the impreza based one if you don't need to haul massive loads of poo poo.

The Rat posted:

Newbie question!

I just picked up a 2005 Outback. Saw some rubber rear seat back protectors online, but when I google around, they're only for 2010+. Are there any for the older models, or am I stuck having to jerry rig something together?

Also is there any basic newbie guide to maintenance and a fluid replacement schedule? I tried to do it right and got one with 134k miles and documented replaced head gaskets/timing belt/transmission, so mechanically it's in solid shape. I'd like to do my part to keep it that way.

http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/maintsched/2005SchedCA.pdf

Headgasket and timing belts WITH pullies are the big ones. Everything else should be good. Those wagons liked to tear control arm bushings and fart out wheel bearings as well, but you'd notice if it had an issue.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Thanks! I'm assuming the pullies got done as well. The car came from a used car dealership/garage that specializes in Subarus, and I had it inspected by a mechanic twice before buying. (The first time he caught the transmission issue, which the dealer then replaced entirely without upping the price. Had it inspected a second time before putting the cash down.)

So far I'm digging it. Didn't even know that auto-dimming rear view mirrors existed until a couple nights ago while driving it. This was my reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo

si
Apr 26, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

While generally the same, there are differences for sure. There are quite a few geometry variations and varying mounts/etc. The FWD 93-95 Imprezas for instance don't even have a RSB or mounts for one. 93-01 Imprezas use a different/incompatible rear top mount than 02-07, etc.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

My wife's '97 Taurus seems to have some significant issues. It runs perfectly and has a killer heater— good for South Dakota this time of year— but has some front-end problems (new wheel bearing hub assembly is allegedly defective, ball joints are shot, CV axle/wheel speed sensor are damaged from an improperly-installed wheel bearing) and the rear struts are also completely worn out and the springs may be broken, which I'll be able to check when I get home.

Where Subaru comes into this is that if the repair cost would be too high I'm looking to maybe let her drive my car and buy a used Outback so I can have selective 4WD on the back highway while commuting. I found this listing, where they're definitely way overvaluing that vehicle. The Carfax report seems to indicate that this car was used as a fleet vehicle for the states of Minnesota and South Dakota, which essentially makes it Sven the Viking Car. The reports lists some maintenance, noting that it was "serviced" but not how and that the engine, transmission, etc. were "checked" but not what was found. I bluebooked the car for a private sale and it came out to just under $4,500. These insanos want $7,000. It appears to be in good shape, but I just talked to one person who told me not to buy from that dealership and I just assume wherever I go they're going to try to hide a defect or two anyway. That said, assuming no defects I'm going to need to get fixed within the first few months: A) what do you figure I could probably talk them down to that's reasonable and B) what sort of defects should I look for to lower the amount of A) in negotiations?

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
The day after getting my OB back from having the headgasket work done, one of the belts made a squeal going around a big corner. I figured "eh, probably the new belts stretching" as it stopped a few seconds later. After dinner, we go to leave and something isn't right. It squeals loudly and makes some slapping noises.

The bolt on the belt tensioner wasn't torqued down enough and pulled% the threads in the alternator housing out. The shop fixed it for free but goddamn what a terrible design. Apparently I didn't get the worst of it though, seeing as how it usually snaps off in the housing insert of pulling the threads out

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I want to put in an FMIC. Talk me out of it, quick. :(

si
Apr 26, 2004

Roman Rambo posted:

They turn a 5mph impact into a parking divider into a $500+ repair bill.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Roman Rambo posted:

You can get shark teeth painted on it and intimidate everyone. Hope this helps.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

What turbo and intake are on the car? The perrin IC comes with a bar that goes across the front of the car that it hangs from, but I don't really expect it to do a whole lot or prevent IC damage in a low speed front end collision.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
It's a 60lb/min FP HTA Green. The car is only used for road course events and driving to/from road course events.

Right now I have a big aftermarket TMIC and I'm spraying 1-2 gals of meth every 20 minutes.

si
Apr 26, 2004
In that case, you're foolish to do anything except either a front mount or custom V mount rad/IC setup.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Like I mentioned earlier, ideally you will have most of the air that comes into the front of the car exiting out the hood. Having it go under or just into the engine bay with no good exit path means higher pressure under the car and especially the front end. The wrc v-mounts actually ducted all the air from the radiator(s) out the sides of the car in front of the tires. Then the IC was also fully ducted and went out the top. So doing your cooling and venting right will make the car faster too.

I haven't had any hands on experience with the ETS subaru front mount kit but I really liked the top mounts I've installed and their other stuff is nice.
http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/ETS-2004-2007-Subaru-STI-Front-Mount-Intercooler-Kit.html

They are a little less than the perrin kit but perrin has had years and years to refine how the piping fits. They get a good amount criticism but I think the IC is one thing they do really well. I do also get a bigger discount on their parts than ETS.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
What I'm envisioning is something like this:

si
Apr 26, 2004
I would only do that if you also do the duster hood prop mod.

That is to say, I wouldn't do that at all. Not sure who designed that or what they use the car for, but the radiator doesn't seem like it would see enough air to cool the car.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Yeah it does seem to totally occlude the radiator. I think perhaps reversed intake manifold and then mount the fmic lower to at least get the rad some air.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Volvos run bigass intercoolers that completely block the radiator in their cars and it's fine, the biggest issue I see with that setup is that his intercooler is going to have no airflow at all through a 1/3 of it's area.

si
Apr 26, 2004
That's where I'd start looking into the V mount setups instead.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd use a smaller IC because I'd rather have less compressible volume.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Here are a few pictures of what we did:

Done over again I would do things a little differently but that's still pretty close. Main things I would do are cut out the upper rad support and fab a new one with better mounts for the radiator. I'd also get a radiator that was a little shorter so I could have it angled more sharply. That was done by just flipping the mounts around from the old setup and making a little tab that stuck out for the intercooler. Then I would make the inlet in the front smaller and create a better air dam for the splitter, block off the upper grill openings, and make the vent in the hood bigger with more of a duct.

This evo for example is doing it right:

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 12, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It looks like someone may be serially stealing first gen Imprezas in Portland: http://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/2ozmq3/attention_1st_gen_9201_imprezalegacy_owners_your/

:(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

blk posted:

It looks like someone may be serially stealing first gen Imprezas in Portland: http://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/2ozmq3/attention_1st_gen_9201_imprezalegacy_owners_your/

:(

If only they liked 1st gen STI's and came to Vancouver.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Roman Rambo posted:

Only if it's shiny and you cut out as much of the front bar as you can to show it off, and its low mount like one of these.

It's the only way

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

si posted:

While generally the same, there are differences for sure. There are quite a few geometry variations and varying mounts/etc. The FWD 93-95 Imprezas for instance don't even have a RSB or mounts for one. 93-01 Imprezas use a different/incompatible rear top mount than 02-07, etc.

My '00 2.0 sport doesn't have a rear Arb or mounts either. So not just the fwd shitters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, now that Ford has confirmed the Focus RS is coming to the US with the 2.3L turbo ecoboost engine and it is all but confirmed it will be AWD, hopefully that will motivate Subaru to step up their game with the WRX. One thing's for sure, they better get the hatch relaunched or they'll find that their 50% of hatch WRX buyers may not settle for the sedan and jump ship.

WRX should really be bumped to the 'almost 300hp' level of the STI and the STI should be given closer to 350-360.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Saga posted:

My '00 2.0 sport doesn't have a rear Arb or mounts either. So not just the fwd shitters.

The rear bar shells that don't have a RSB stock should have a rubber plug that you can pop out to bolt one on.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

The rear bar shells that don't have a RSB stock should have a rubber plug that you can pop out to bolt one on.

Thanks, will have a look for them as an arb would be useful.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

bull3964 posted:

WRX should really be bumped to the 'almost 300hp' level of the STI and the STI should be given closer to 350-360.

Put a turbo h6 in the STi and sell them at 400hp. I'd buy one.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
Winter setup installed. The 17s barely clear the brakes. I went with Pirelli Sottozero 3s for the tires. They seemed to handle the heavy rain pretty well over the past couple days. Heading to the mountains this weekend as well so we'll see how it does.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I broke the stupid loving alternator tension bolt while trying to change the belt today, and can't order a new one until Monday. Presumably the dealer should stock them since according to the internet, the same part was used in Outbacks, Foresters and Imprezas for a solid 10 years at least - basically anything with the 2.5 SOHC.

Stupid stupid stupid. :saddowns:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

stevobob posted:

I broke the stupid loving alternator tension bolt while trying to change the belt today, and can't order a new one until Monday. Presumably the dealer should stock them since according to the internet, the same part was used in Outbacks, Foresters and Imprezas for a solid 10 years at least - basically anything with the 2.5 SOHC.

Stupid stupid stupid. :saddowns:

Hardware store?

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
So my 06 outback (211k miles) has been humming and humming since I bought it at 202k. Tonight I finally got around to dumping the ATF and refilling it, hopefully that should buy me enough time to get the money together for a new transmission, if not a whole new (turbo) drivetrain. I overfilled it, but I bought a siphon so I’m gonna pull some out tomorrow. I read that it will generally drop 5 quarts (of 9.8 total) through the drain plug, but I had no way of measuring it and just kept dumping fluid in. It took 7 quarts before I thought “something’s not right, here…" The old fluid was complete poo poo- just reddish brown junk with a few gummy bits floating around. I also ran seafoam through it and put in a new PCV valve (was all clogged and lovely) and a new air filter (just filled with bugs and poo poo) and tomorrow I’m slapping in a new serpentine belt idler pulley because it’s loving screaming. All in all, I’m hoping it drives like a whole different car. I can already tell the throttle response is better. If it still has a low idle after my next oil change and a few dozen more miles for the ECU to "re-learn”, I’m gonna see if I can’t find a vacuum leak. Then I’ll be terrorizing empty, snowy parking lots for at least 2-3 more months.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

daslog posted:

Hardware store?

Would have, but the tension bolt broke off in the tension nut which is a little block of metal with two bolt holes 90º offset each other, and it's seized in so I can't get it out.

One of these:

The threaded hole is where I broke the bolt off, and the other hole is unthreaded; another bolt goes through it and a slotted bracket into the alternator.

edit: Like so, #1 is the broken bolt, #2 is the "nut"/block in the other pic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I don't think any dealer carriers those bolts. I broke the long threaded one as well and the dealership (two of them) couldn't even find the part number necessary to order the bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I have the part numbers, and have submitted a request to parts at the local dealer. I'll hopefully find out Monday, and if they have it then I'll get a couple of the nut/block pieces because it's bound to happen again some day.

The nut is 34436AA001, the bolt is 34435AA030.