Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's also because tech companies love the whole low wage and desperation behind foreign visa programs too.

David Corbett posted:

B-b-but real estate always goes up! It's an unbeatable investment!

Home ownership is its own reward, you pay a extra thousand dollars a month for the privilege vs being renter scum

also with hidden costs on 400,000 GTA condo, 10 year fixed, 5 percent down, 4.29% mortgage
http://www.ratehub.ca/condo-mortgage-calculator

So for mortgage and property tax alone you would be paying $1000 more a month compared to renting a single bedroom apartment.

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Are people really paying 4.29% these days? I thought it was way lower than that.

e: oh 10 year fixed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That couple with money trouble article always gives me schadefreud:
http://business.financialpost.com/2014/12/12/couple-tries-to-balance-saving-for-childs-education-with-debt-paydown-and-retirement/

5/5 ready for retirement, even thought a majority of future retirement money depends on their all eggs in one basket real estate investments.

Between the two of them they only saved up $12000 in retirement money accounts.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

etalian posted:

5/5 ready for retirement, even thought a majority of future retirement money depends on their all eggs in one basket real estate investments.

quote:

They are both in defined benefit pension plans

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

etalian posted:

They're government workers, they have a defined benefit plan that they've paid into that isn't listed in their assets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's another reason why high housing costs is bad for people since it makes it really hard to sock away extra money for retirement.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Just because he's the OP of this thread doesn't mean y'all have to leave him off your ignore lists.

Exactly. I swear half this thread is just "this user is on your ignore list" for me now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

etalian posted:

Between the two of them they only saved up $12000 in retirement money accounts.

RESP's aren't retirement, they're for the kid's college.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Cultural Imperial posted:

Having spent considerable time working in Kitchener Waterloo, I can only imagine what a loving shithole Barrie must be. Only 60 minutes from Toronto!!?!?!? SIGN ME UP

Both are nice cities full of nice people, so there's that I guess?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

RESP's aren't retirement, they're for the kid's college.

So more like $6000 total for non-pension plan retirement savings?

It's pretty much important to note that once you graduate and get your first job, saving in your 20s is really important due to investment compounding.

Later on in life you will get extra expenses like kids or big fat mortgage which makes socking away extra money for retirement much more challenging.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 13, 2014

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Man, I was just going to post this. The obvious thing to point out is that Microsoft doesn't want quality engineers working in Vancouver, they want them working in Redmond. And Canadian engineers can already do this easily (because of the TN visa). So the only real purpose is to park foreign workers who don't win the H-1B lottery temporarily in Vancouver until they get one.

e: also lol at that Financial Post article, I'm like a decade younger than those guys and have twice the net worth and 0 liabilities, can I retire now?

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 14, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

blah_blah posted:

Man, I was just going to post this. The obvious thing to point out is that Microsoft doesn't want quality engineers working in Vancouver, they want them working in Redmond. And Canadian engineers can already do this easily (because of the TN visa). So the only real purpose is to park foreign workers who don't win the H-1B lottery temporarily in Vancouver until they get one.

e: also lol at that Financial Post article, I'm like a decade younger than those guys and have twice the net worth and 0 liabilities, can I retire now?

Funny story: My friends US employer didn't fill out his TN Visa properly. Immigration doesn't give you a second chance with them. He now cannot enter the USA, even for a day trip, for up to five years or something silly like that.

I love that Vancouver is becoming a clearing house to bypass US visa requirements though. Remember a year or so ago when Facebook opened an office in Vancouver and they bluntly stated "yeah, it's temporary, we're just here to find talent that we want to bring to our US operations". :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

Funny story: My friends US employer didn't fill out his TN Visa properly. Immigration doesn't give you a second chance with them. He now cannot enter the USA, even for a day trip, for up to five years or something silly like that.

I love that Vancouver is becoming a clearing house to bypass US visa requirements though. Remember a year or so ago when Facebook opened an office in Vancouver and they bluntly stated "yeah, it's temporary, we're just here to find talent that we want to bring to our US operations". :allears:

It owns how Vancouver thinks it will usurp the Bay Area/NYC but just ends up being a temporary corporate flop house for techies who couldn't get a US work visa.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

etalian posted:

It owns how Vancouver thinks it will usurp the Bay Area/NYC but just ends up being a temporary corporate flop house for non-Canadian techies who couldn't get a US work visa.

Added, because it makes the irony richer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I know plenty of friends from Victoria who ended up moving to Vancouver to further their tech careers, but even so the goal isn't to land your dream job in Vancouver, it's to work in a lovely under-paid tech job in Vancouver until you can get enough experience to then go to Seattle or SF. No one ever actually expects to work there, it's just a stepping stone to get to your real career at a real company.

If only Vancouver offered more tax cuts or something I'm sure it would be booming.

That said, how has Seattle been so ridiculously successful over the last decade? Is it just lucky, or did the city actually do something?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 19, 2014

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

That said, how has Seattle been so ridiculously successful over the last decade? Is it just lucky, or did the city actually do something?

Microsoft + Amazon have given them a large pool of talent to draw from, and substantially lower CoL (+ no state income tax) makes it actually somewhat possible for them to compete with SF/NYC. And Seattle's a pretty nice place to live.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

blah_blah posted:

Microsoft + Amazon have given them a large pool of talent to draw from, and substantially lower CoL (+ no state income tax) makes it actually somewhat possible for them to compete with SF/NYC. And Seattle's a pretty nice place to live.

It's always amusing to check out real estate listings in the nicer areas of Seattle. It's Vancouver condo money, tops, for super nice SFHs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Similar to the bay area it started out with lots of traditional manufacturing/semiconductor type companies but eventually transitioned over techie cult coolaid with companies like Amazon setting up shop.

I think it's mainly due to lower business costs, favorable tax treatment and also much lower overall cost of living compared to the people's republic of California.

So basically main draw is offering west coast weirdness at lower price point than California.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 14, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Here's what $600/month gets you these days, rentailures:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/apa/4779426318.html

Yes, to get into bed you need to stand on a fridge which is beside the radiator, and then climb up a ladder which is mounted above the radiator, and then sort of leap across the gap and into bed. :psyduck:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I'm the fridges leaning against the radiator.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dutch Disease.jpg

US S&P 500 by sector composition:

Fairly healthy, the biggest share 20% for tech is not vastly greatly than other sectors

Canadian TSX Index by sector composition:

Add up Energy and Financials, 60% of all canadian market capitalization is concentrated in just two vulnerable industries.

Also lol how high tech company capitalization only makes up 2.1% of Canadian market capitalization, bay area knockoff plan is great success

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

Yes, to get into bed you need to stand on a fridge which is beside the radiator, and then climb up a ladder which is mounted above the radiator, and then sort of leap across the gap and into bed. :psyduck:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

etalian posted:

Also lol how high tech company capitalization only makes up 2.1% of Canadian market capitalization, bay area knockoff plan is great success

Investment capital for technology basically just doesn't exist in Canada, and nobody from the US is willing to invest across the border. The company I worked for a few years ago was one of the primary players in its field and massively profitable, tried for years to find VC to expand and failed, ended up selling a controlling interest to a Euro-based mega conglomerate for less than $100m. At the same time, vastly less profitable competitors in the USA were being acquired for close to $1B. loving Hootsuite is the biggest VC investment in a tech company in Canadian history.

We're a banana republic known for ultra-cheap resource extraction, and investors would like to keep it that way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/14/petrothoughts/

quote:

Just leaving a conference in Dubai, and thinking about oil prices. (A lot of the conference was actually about geopolitics, and I don’t want to think about the quite grim stuff from that end.) So, some not especially organized notes.

One involves the failure of OPEC to restrict production to support prices. I guess I wonder why anyone thought that was likely. My understanding has always been that when people say OPEC, the subtitle reads “Saudi Arabia”, which is the only player that has ever done much to restrict output to sustain prices. And Saudi Arabia only accounts for about 13 percent of world production, which gives it limited power even given inelastic demand (especially because unconventional oil supply is probably quite price-elastic, further reducing Saudi market power.)

Also, consider the precedents: the last time there was anything like the recent oil glut, namely back in the 1980s, even drastic cuts in Saudi production, shown in the accompanying figure, weren’t enough; eventually the Saudis gave up, and prices crashed, so why should they go through that again?

My other thought is that Venezuela-with-nukes (Russia) keeps looking more vulnerable to crisis. Long-term interest rates at almost 13 percent, a plunging currency, and a lot of private-sector institutions with large foreign-currency debts. You might imagine that large foreign exchange reserves would allow the government to bail out those in trouble, but the markets evidently don’t think so. This is starting to look very serious.

And now the joy of trying to sleep on a very long flight.

ps gently caress alberta

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Rime posted:

Here's what $600/month gets you these days, rentailures:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/apa/4779426318.html

Where's the bathroom? Is it even legal to rent something out as an apartment if it doesn't have a bathroom?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
^ It looks like it's a rooming house (shared facilities), we have a lot of them in Winnipeg.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

tagesschau posted:

Where's the bathroom? Is it even legal to rent something out as an apartment if it doesn't have a bathroom?

Ad says shared washrooms. I wonder how many micro-units they can shoe-horn into one building? Looks like a lot from the hallway photo. But hey - $675/mo furnished.

Also laughing that there are a dozen pictures on the site to capture a room the size of a large walk-in closet.

Been 15 years since I lived in Vancouver - isn't that general area a poo poo hole?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
that room is smaller than a prison cell

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That price really isn't really typical though. My friend lives in a pretty ok place maybe 10 min walk from Broadway-Cityhall station and she's paying just shy of 800 for a fairly spacious bachelor. Other people are paying that or less in slightly worse areas. You can always find crazy horrible apartments for horrible prices just about anywhere. In Victoria an old 1800's hotel with tiny 300-500 sqft rooms was converted to apartments. They don't share bathrooms but are priced 600-1000 a month. Or you can walk a few blocks and find tons of 1 and 2 br apartments in a nicer area for 700-1000.

I often think there's just a market of people willing to pay more for less. Or willing to pay like 10% less on their rent for 50% of the space. I guess if you don't care at all about space and just want the absolute minimum you'd be ok with that??

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
haha is this a joke

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/12/stuff-your-stockings-with-bc-coal.html

quote:

No matter whether you light the menorah, trim the tree or setup the Festivus Pole, your holiday activities likely have a connection to a lump of coal mined right here in British Columbia.

From the planes, trains and automobiles that are used to transport holiday gifts, to the stores where those gifts are sold – they all require steel. That steel is made using metallurgical coal.

Upwards of 90% of the coal produced in British Columbia is metallurgical coal. In 2013, B.C. exported more than 28 million tonnes of metallurgical coal.

Planning to drive to the mall over the holidays? There are approximately three million cars in B.C. and it takes roughly 630 kilograms of metallurgical coal to produce a single vehicle.

Nothing says Canadian winter like lacing up the ice skates for a game of hockey. The steel blades that make breakaway goals possible start out as metallurgical coal.

Coal production is a mainstay of the province’s economy, generating billions of dollars in annual revenue and supporting thousands of well-paying jobs. Coal production currently represents over half of the total mineral production revenues in the province.

Quote:

Minister of Energy and Mines Bill Bennett:

“Most people don’t think of coal when they go shopping for gifts, but the fact is without the coal that is mined right here in British Columbia, we wouldn’t have access to things like smartphones, cars or even shopping malls.

British Columbians can take pride in knowing that no matter the product or where it was made, it probably wouldn’t exist without B.C. coal.”

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Baronjutter posted:

I often think there's just a market of people willing to pay more for less. Or willing to pay like 10% less on their rent for 50% of the space. I guess if you don't care at all about space and just want the absolute minimum you'd be ok with that??

This is absolutely true. For some people, the cash constraint is so overwhelming that it's worth it to accept a way worse place in exchange for keeping slightly more money. On the other hand, you only need take a look at the vehicle market to realize that most Canadians have a very poor grasp of the relationship between price and value.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

US wins again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/544294203602518017

#fuckalberta

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Does anyone know what the Alberta Heritage Fund looks like these days?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Heavy neutrino posted:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Heavy neutrino posted:

Smoking crater.

E: dammit.

Edit for content: The Fund’s value at September 30, 2014 was $17.4 billion on a fair value basis.

For comparison, Norway's sovereign wealth fund was at $890 billion USD earlier this year. They have extracted a comparable amount of oil to Alberta, but apparently a non-comparable amount from oil companies.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 15, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Heavy neutrino posted:

Laughable, given that the GDP of the province is $295.276 billion.

quote:

The Fund's value at September 30, 2014 was $17.4 billion on a fair value basis.

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/business/ahstf/

Not even enough to raid and balance the budget for a year if there's a shortfall. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Albertans to soon stop whining about the injustice of the canadian equalization system.