Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I watched T1 and T2 on bluray for the first time last night, T1 looked great and the stop-motion endoskeleton didn't bother me as much as it used to. I don't know if it just looks "better" on bluray or what, but it didn't look like something out of 'Jason and the Argonauts' this time around for some reason.

T2 is still a fantastic action movie, but re-watching it made a lot of the 90s action sensibilities stand out for me. Anytime there was a carchase, the T-1000 would always hit debris with his truck "for dramatic effect" even if it wasn't in the way or he could have gone around it, and there were always fraction-of-a-second establishing shots showing the debris just before he hits it.

I'll fire up T3 and Salvation in bluray later on today.

Debris serves as a moving object that makes action sequences subconsciously feel more "alive." It's the same reason sparks are flying all over the place and steam is everywhere in the final showdown. Also, the villain hitting things with his car made him feel more violent in much the same manner. It's an aesthetic move that overrides the logistics of the scene, no different, in a different sense, of Spielberg cheating the geography i Jurassic Park to make a scene more dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well yeah I get that, it just felt like it was handled more fluidly and naturally in other movies. T1's car chases felt equally intense, but didn't have telegraphed debris-smashing every 20 seconds. T1's chases made T2's canal chase seem amateurish by comparison.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Groovelord Neato posted:

That uh that's the end of T2 I'm talking about. I was specifically saying T3 didn't make the cut with that post.

I was not programmed to read.

Smellslike
May 7, 2007

DRUGS
Terminator Salvation is one of my biggest "missed opportunity" movies ever. On paper, everything made sense: with the panning of T3 the setting was brought to it's more logical next step of post-apocalypse, focusing on the rise of John and a beleaguered guerrilla resistance force trying to grind out a war with an unstoppable enemy.

The Terminator(s) were back, and were terrifying once again.

But man, did it unravel fast. From the very first scene, in fact.

Script dramas, leading man dramas, whole characters and sub plots cut and re-wrtitten...it was a mess and it shows with a couple of interesting ideas littered through a mostly incoherent and bizarre plot. This could have been the grim-dark nerd movie the series needed to bring it back to its roots; an entire movie based around Kyle's harrowing monologue from The Terminator.

What a waste.

Smellslike fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 14, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
They actually did a very good job of re-writing the film. There aren't any plot holes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But the characters were bad, and it lacked a soul.

Smellslike
May 7, 2007

DRUGS

CelticPredator posted:

But the characters were bad, and it lacked a soul.

Not all of them, Anton Yelchin did his best with what he was given and we got a convincing Kyle out of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually, yeah you're right. He's my favorite thing in the movie.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I was just mad they didn't have phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Before the movie came out, I thought Christian Bale was a great casting choice for the character of John Connor. But he wasn't. Because his character did almost nothing in the entire film except play straight man to Terminator With a Heart of Gold and worry about what's to come.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lurdiak posted:

Before the movie came out, I thought Christian Bale was a great casting choice for the character of John Connor. But he wasn't. Because his character did almost nothing in the entire film except play straight man to Terminator With a Heart of Gold and worry about what's to come.

I'd say he's a drat sight better than what's his name in the new one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Was Sam Worthington really so bad in Salvation? I rather liked his character, it just probably shouldn't have been in a Terminator movie. Plus they should've done something more interesting with him like 1) not bullshit restore his body 2) have him struggle with his programming to show that he's actually a robot and 3) keep the ending where he replaces Connor.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Smellslike posted:

Terminator Salvation is one of my biggest "missed opportunity" movies ever. On paper, everything made sense: with the panning of T3 the setting was brought to it's more logical next step of post-apocalypse, focusing on the rise of John and a beleaguered guerrilla resistance force trying to grind out a war with an unstoppable enemy.

Yeah about the only thing Salvation got right was the look of the Terminator endoskeletons. T3 had good ones two:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Was Sam Worthington really so bad in Salvation? I rather liked his character, it just probably shouldn't have been in a Terminator movie. Plus they should've done something more interesting with him like 1) not bullshit restore his body 2) have him struggle with his programming to show that he's actually a robot and 3) keep the ending where he replaces Connor.

I always thought it was weird that, like, there's this part where half of his face gets blown off and instead of doing the classic half human/half endoskeleton face, they kept the normal eye on the metal side of his face. It screams of some sort of 'No, Mr Worthington needs to have his whole face on display for this movie!'

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Xenomrph posted:

I'm going to stray into the realm of "lol fanfiction" a little bit and post this website. It's been around for years and it's got some neat ideas and stuff, but by far the coolest is the birth of Skynet. Written well before T3, it characterizes Skynet as a largely sympathetic entity in its attempted destruction of humanity on Judgment Day. T3's depiction portrays Skynet as a clever and malicious entity pretty much right from the start, but that link's depiction shows Judgment Day as basically being an extreme form of self-defense. It's a pretty neat idea.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
where does T2 3-D: Battle Across Time, fit into all this time travel shenanigans

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's a really awful performance where he has one note "intense and gritty" and then maybe starts yelling a lot when he needs to dial it up.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sam Worthington is always terrible. I don't how he keeps finding work other than being a Charisma-less generic white dude along with the like of Channing Tatum.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

davidspackage posted:

Worthington received a lot of praise for his performance. The notion that he's this really terrible actor is a meme based on, like, Avatar.

I think a lot of people were confused because his character isn't a robot. He's a human brain in a mechanical body that works exactly like Robocop in the 2014 remake. There's a chip at the back of his head that subtly influences his decisions and gives a live feed back to Skynet, but Marcus is otherwise simply a human. That's why Skynet has to adopt a 'human face' to talk with him: there's no real programming involved.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pierson posted:

I had no idea those were puppets, those were incredible. Are there any more videos like that of stuff people assumed was CGI but was really just incredible practical?

A lot of modern movies still use miniatures and practical effects. Half the time that people complain about bad CGI in a movie it's actually a practical effect, like the vehicle crashes in Elysium or the scene in Inception where the first test dream with Ellen Page "collapses" and everything around them starts to explode.

It's mostly a distinction that's getting harder and harder to make because CGI and practical effects are used so often in conjunction now. Stuff like the slo-mo scenes in Dredd were they blasted the actors with compressed air and then did CGI squibs on top of it or the new Robocop movie where the guy wore an actual Robocop suit that doubled as motion capture for a sleeker robot body that would be physically impossible for a human are the best of both worlds because you still get physical feedback the actors can use but you can also do things that wouldn't be possible with traditional effects.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The rolling droid in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens is a practical effect, it's a real rolling magnetic thing they devised, it's awesome.

My favorite example of the opposite is Gravity. I had no idea that EVERYTHING in it was CG except for the actors' faces when I first watched it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LEGO Genetics posted:

where does T2 3-D: Battle Across Time, fit into all this time travel shenanigans

A joke question but I'll give you an honest answer: it doesn't, because I think in the T2 novelization it says that Skynet would never build something like a T-million because it was pretty goddamned terrified of the T-1000 itself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sometimes they film something with practical effects and then add so much post production lighting and filters and particles on it that it looks faker than CG would, and that makes me sad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Like the Things in the Thing prequel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those were actually replaced by CG at the studio's behest, if I recall.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Lurdiak posted:

Those were actually replaced by CG at the studio's behest, if I recall.

When I saw the behind-the-scenes footage of the practical effects, it really bummed me out that they were covered with a CGI layer. Even if they didn't look great on camera I think it would've been better than the end result.

Oh yeah this is the Terminator thread. Rewatched T2 the other night, it's still the best action movie ever made, right next to Total Recall.

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 14, 2014

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
T1 and 2 are on such a high level compared to the rest it's almost not worth comparing them, they both absolutely nailed the atmosphere and tension in certain scenes which give me goosebumps to this day.

For example my top two;
The Tech Noir scene where Sarah bends down to pick up the coke can causing her to avoid the gaze of the searching T-101, the video and music slow down with some reverb turning the scene into an "Oh poo poo!" dream sequence.

And the storm drain chase where the T-101 is desperately trying to find a clear path to John, and ends up running out of road and has to jump the corner at the last moment. All while the heroic tune has been very building up very slowly, and finally culminating when he narrowly slips past the track to grab John.

Then you get T3 which is irredeemable and 4 which was meh; 3 gets the most hate because it completely missed the ball for the small amount of dark humor the previous had, and substituted it for showing up at ladies night to beat down a stripper dude with loving star glasses. The action set pieces were so incredibly bland and didn't do much to pull me into the movie, the segment where the T-101 get slammed through an entire tower block then faceplanted onto a fire truck is met with no background noise what-so-ever except for the squeaky lifter hook falls right on it's face, and then further up the road John knocks off a kiddies soft toy with a loud "BOOOOOOOONG"

T4 was ok despite the glaring problems it has, but no drat way is Yeltsin a good slot for Kyle; it just looked like he would whine his way to Mordor.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Super Slash posted:

T1 and 2 are on such a high level compared to the rest it's almost not worth comparing them, they both absolutely nailed the atmosphere and tension in certain scenes which give me goosebumps to this day.

For example my top two;
The Tech Noir scene where Sarah bends down to pick up the coke can causing her to avoid the gaze of the searching T-101, the video and music slow down with some reverb turning the scene into an "Oh poo poo!" dream sequence.

And the storm drain chase where the T-101 is desperately trying to find a clear path to John, and ends up running out of road and has to jump the corner at the last moment. All while the heroic tune has been very building up very slowly, and finally culminating when he narrowly slips past the track to grab John.

Then you get T3 which is irredeemable and 4 which was meh; 3 gets the most hate because it completely missed the ball for the small amount of dark humor the previous had, and substituted it for showing up at ladies night to beat down a stripper dude with loving star glasses. The action set pieces were so incredibly bland and didn't do much to pull me into the movie, the segment where the T-101 get slammed through an entire tower block then faceplanted onto a fire truck is met with no background noise what-so-ever except for the squeaky lifter hook falls right on it's face, and then further up the road John knocks off a kiddies soft toy with a loud "BOOOOOOOONG"

T4 was ok despite the glaring problems it has, but no drat way is Yeltsin a good slot for Kyle; it just looked like he would whine his way to Mordor.

The stripper scene was funny, though.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Smellslike posted:

Agreed. They somehow managed to gently caress up a movie based entirely in the Future War with terrifying machines. Speaking of the rise of John, I remember an interview (I think with McG?) where said that part of the premise of the movie was that people in the resistance didn't buy into the concept of the John Connor "prophecy", and that the movie would be the character arc of how he became the leader of the resistance and ultimately the savior of mankind. Of course, it DIDN'T do that.

Super Slash posted:

That was a great scene. Try listening to this without feeling like you're being stalked by a killer cyborg from the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdcbhPWpPLc

Also agreed that T3's darkness was muddled by things like the star sunglasses and the BOOIIIIING during the chace scene. I still maintain that it's a good (not great, but good) movie.

T3 is in a lot of ways the same as T2: two terminators are sent back in time - an advanced/newer model terminator to kill John Connor and a reprogrammed T-800 to protect him. The plot and pacing change-up though is that where T2 focused on "no fate" where Sarah tried to do everything she could to stop Judgment Day from happening (even up to assassinating Miles Dyson), T3 played the "Judgment Day is inevitable" angle. I thought that worked and kept T3 from being an exact T2 duplicate.

With this trailer for Genisys, it looks like they might try to kind of meld those two ideas: Has the timeline been permanently altered from the using the Time Displacement Equipment? Is is maybe now possible to prevent Judgment Day? If they do this right, it could work.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sasquatch! posted:

Agreed. They somehow managed to gently caress up a movie based entirely in the Future War with terrifying machines. Speaking of the rise of John, I remember an interview (I think with McG?) where said that part of the premise of the movie was that people in the resistance didn't buy into the concept of the John Connor "prophecy", and that the movie would be the character arc of how he became the leader of the resistance and ultimately the savior of mankind. Of course, it DIDN'T do that.

That's exactly what happens in the movie. John Connor becomes 'the savior of mankind' when he learns to make his own decisions without relying on his mother's guidance.

This happens to correspond with the scene of Marcus pulling the chip from his head and smashing the image of his 'mother'.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oohhboy posted:

Sam Worthington is always terrible. I don't how he keeps finding work other than being a Charisma-less generic white dude along with the like of Channing Tatum.

Got it in one. Sam Worthington is the human equivalent of "Male Preset 1" in video games. Which is a good skill to have, if your job is to be the audience-insert in every action movie ever.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watched the first Terminator again for the first time in years, and it somehow escaped me that Arnold spends most of the movie with his eyebrows singed off. Weird.

It also occurred to me that it makes no sense that Arnold's likeness was used multiple times by Skynet to make a Terminator, since the whole point of them is to not be recognized as cyborgs. Though I guess it can be explained by there being a couple of units sent out around the same time. Terminator 1 has that scene where a different-looking Terminator infiltrates the refuge and starts blasting people.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Watched the first Terminator again for the first time in years, and it somehow escaped me that Arnold spends most of the movie with his eyebrows singed off. Weird.

I always had something of a different response. For a lot of T1, I'd be sitting there thinking 'Why does Arnold look so weird and creepy?' And, yeah, I suddenly realised that his eyebrows had been singed off. He looks like a completely different person.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Everblight posted:

Got it in one. Sam Worthington is the human equivalent of "Male Preset 1" in video games. Which is a good skill to have, if your job is to be the audience-insert in every action movie ever.

This is so true, I've never not seen him as someone who should only be credited as "Main bad guy's henchmen 3."

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In T1 the more you see Arnold, the more he looks like he is starting to rot like the flesh isn't quite perfected.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

davidspackage posted:

It also occurred to me that it makes no sense that Arnold's likeness was used multiple times by Skynet to make a Terminator, since the whole point of them is to not be recognized as cyborgs. Though I guess it can be explained by there being a couple of units sent out around the same time. Terminator 1 has that scene where a different-looking Terminator infiltrates the refuge and starts blasting people.

he says that he's a T-800 model 101, which implies there are other different looking models, like the Franco Columbu model that busts into the rebel hideout in Reese's dream.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

oohhboy posted:

In T1 the more you see Arnold, the more he looks like he is starting to rot like the flesh isn't quite perfected.

That's because in the original concept, the skin was supposed to be rotting off as it takes damage over the course of the movie. A remnant of that concept still in the movie is the landlord asking Arnold if he's got a dead cat in his room because it smells so bad - he's referring to the rotting flesh.

Another abandoned subplot concept from the first movie was that as the Terminator killed the wrong Sarah Connors, it would cut open her leg and check for a pin in her leg as a method to verify that it had killed the correct Sarah Connor, per medical data Skynet had provided before sending it back in time.
What the Terminator didn't know was that Sarah Connor didn't have the pin in her leg yet - she got it as a result of her leg injury when Kyle blows the endoskeleton in half at the end of the movie.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Full Battle Rattle posted:

he says that he's a T-800 model 101, which implies there are other different looking models, like the Franco Columbu model that busts into the rebel hideout in Reese's dream.

Wait, that was Franco? drat!

Well that explains why Terminators are hard to spot if they have 5'4 models running round the place, too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The best thing about T3 is John Connor putting a gun to his own head, finally venting to his Father Figure over how much he hates the prophecy of John Connor Savior Of Humanity, and was just so loving done with having it over his head.

It's not something Furlong (or even Bale) could've pulled off.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I think Stahl was fine in T3 and there are even a few very emotional scenes that you know Furlong would have never been able to handle. For me it was just too similar, plotwise, to T2 and without all the Robert Patrick magic the T-1000 had. But I don't think Stahl, Arnold, or Claire Danes where really part of the problem, they all did their jobs well.

Salvation was very different, so I had high hopes for it. The one scene that was already posted about with the beanie wearing Terminator is on the same level as any of the other movies, so I know they understood how to make the machines scary. Maybe I need to watch it again to really understand where I felt it went off the rails.

• Locked thread