Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

theperminator posted:

If I were treated the same way I'd start merely "meeting expectations". No use putting in extra work just to help fill someone else's pockets.

Posted about this before, but my boss once told me I was "doing the bare minimum," which to him meant I wasn't putting in any unpaid overtime. No other measurements were used to conclude "bare minimum." Turns out that I could work a lot less hard than I was during those "bare minimum" hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Che Delilas posted:

Posted about this before, but my boss once told me I was "doing the bare minimum," which to him meant I wasn't putting in any unpaid overtime. No other measurements were used to conclude "bare minimum." Turns out that I could work a lot less hard than I was during those "bare minimum" hours.

My sympathies, but not my empathy. My boss manages the exact other way. He goes over a spreadsheet with our little IT group each month. All of us together. We tack-on projects that need to be done, he assigns them, and we talk about our progress on projects. You-to-supervisor in private is one thing, but you feel a little more pressure / motivation to stay focused when you're a little light-handed on project work and your peers know it. It's positive, overall.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Potato Salad posted:

My sympathies, but not my empathy. My boss manages the exact other way. He goes over a spreadsheet with our little IT group each month. All of us together. We tack-on projects that need to be done, he assigns them, and we talk about our progress on projects. You-to-supervisor in private is one thing, but you feel a little more pressure / motivation to stay focused when you're a little light-handed on project work and your peers know it. It's positive, overall.

I would love it if thats what we did. Instead my supervisor just wanders out of his office to dole out some nugget, then swiftly retreats back in. I was knocked points for not "seeking out additional duties" when we are slow. Which from what I understand to be his job. But he spends most of his time in his office doing something, and occasionally wanders out to throw a morsel for us.

Now I'm not saying I'm not going to fix something that I come across, but I'm not going to trawl through splunk to find a switch port interface that is flapping.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Keep an eye on that, one of management's favorite things is to give artificially crappy reviews, then use it as an excuse to fire/lay off/give poo poo raises to/outsource entirely.

My former_boss at former_job told me "meets expectations" was something I should be proud of, etc., before giving me an all-3 performance review and no raise whatsoever (no cost of living even). I'd been told in the initial interview that I'd be eligible for a pay grade / title bump at that review.

I mysteriously found a job paying market wages within three months. :iiam:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yesterday I realized that the original HR VP from my last job wasn't in my LinkedIn network so I added her. She left the company after I was there for a couple of years. Tonight I got an email from her to call her on Monday because the company she's consulting for needs an I.T. Director. No job description yet so I don't know if I can do the job but they're in the same field as the last two so that definitely helps.

It's strange to feel like I'm actually networking! :buddy:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

Yesterday I realized that the original HR VP from my last job wasn't in my LinkedIn network so I added her. She left the company after I was there for a couple of years. Tonight I got an email from her to call her on Monday because the company she's consulting for needs an I.T. Director. No job description yet so I don't know if I can do the job but they're in the same field as the last two so that definitely helps.

Got my fingers crossed for you DT. Keep positive and don't let the stress of the holidays get you down.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

You can do the job, don't goon-in-the-well us here.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Che Delilas posted:

Ah yes, the classic "Everyone who works even a second less than me is lazy".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

skooma512 posted:

Ah yes, the classic "Everyone who works even a second less than me is lazy".

Don't forget the ever popular "I don't understand it, therefore it must be trivial to do".

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Man my company is unbelievably bad at letting me actually train replacements for various things and actually putting them in meetings where they're expected to do anything more than listen in.

I've been telling them for months that I shouldn't be the single point of failure for x kind of implementation or debugging task of type y. I just got thrown into everything I do without any training or technical assistance, but nobody accepts my attempts to redirect them to my replacement and see if he can sink or swim.

Oh well, things will be pretty fun for them after I walk out the door for good next week.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We had a Christmas party where they gave us some pizza and two drink tickets (they rented out a restaurant) and gave away some door prizes (far fewer than last year, times are tough (despite not actually being tough)). They started handing out extra drink tickets though so that was cool--though if that was the plan why not just make it an open bar?

I also got a $50 gift card to... The place I work (it's retail). Still better than nothing I suppose.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The CEO of my last place's MSP is basically begging me to help them access one of the accounting systems. He emailed me yesterday and I replied back that since I have no working relationship with my old employer I'd expose myself to liability if I helped them. Imagine if something goes wrong with that accounting system and my old employer decides to blame me. They could accuse me of misleading the MSP into screwing things up.

It appears to be souring my relationship with the MSP but I made it plain: I don't work for my old employer anymore. I can't help them. I have to protect myself.

The dumbest part of this is that when I started I didn't have access to that system and had to figure it out, and I documented the whole goddamn thing if anyone would bother to look at the IT documentation folder I created.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Just let them suffer DT.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I documented the whole goddamn thing if anyone would bother to look at the IT documentation folder I created.

They deleted and undid everything you did the second you walked about the front door.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every second you spend thinking about it is a second too much.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Wifi is down at my offsite location.

Can't call anyone about it because it's the weekend. The network guy that helps me there is out of the country for a couple weeks.

I'm sure they're going to scream at me and demand I come in Monday, if not Sunday, but I have a certification exam then and I'd honestly rather have a loving day to myself for a change.

I cannot wait until next month when we roll off of there. They're nice people and all, but they need someone more than a guy once a week and remotely who is at best 2 hours away. Plus, I'm sick and tired of effectively being on call all the time and having to drive said 2 hours one way to get there.

They also need something better than a wifi daisy chain for a wide facility because gently caress me wifi is unreliable.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It sucks and I know you want to help, but people have to learn that when they understaff they get what they pay for, which means that if they won't provide adequate resources to have the things they want done, they don't get to be upset when those things don't get done. I'm going through this now myself. It's common practice because people think that they can get away with it, but what's really happening is that people who want to help, like you, are being taken advantage of.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

guppy posted:

It sucks and I know you want to help, but people have to learn that when they understaff they get what they pay for, which means that if they won't provide adequate resources to have the things they want done, they don't get to be upset when those things don't get done. I'm going through this now myself. It's common practice because people think that they can get away with it, but what's really happening is that people who want to help, like you, are being taken advantage of.

I work at a large hosting provider and this is an everyday occurrence. Never feel bad about putting your foot down about stuff like days off you scheduled in advance to take a certification test. Those are your days off, gently caress 'em if they can't deal.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

guppy posted:

Yep. They're being done a favor because they are affiliated with our client , but don't seem to have their own SLA and don't pay us themselves. I don't know who if anyone pays for the support, but the CIO is involved.

But this is what they get. The last guy enjoyed going there, but I absolutely hate it because I prefer focusing on the main site and dislike the travel and isolation. Hence, they have to wait until I'm good and ready to go over.

I'm ignoring my phone. It actually went off just now. I usually don't do that, but it's my GF's birthday, I'm meeting her in two hours, and I don't want to get dragged into beep boop computer poo poo and give them a way to make demands.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AskYourself posted:

Just let them suffer DT.

This can be read in two ways and both are correct.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO of my last place's MSP is basically begging me to help them access one of the accounting systems. He emailed me yesterday and I replied back that since I have no working relationship with my old employer I'd expose myself to liability if I helped them. Imagine if something goes wrong with that accounting system and my old employer decides to blame me. They could accuse me of misleading the MSP into screwing things up.

It appears to be souring my relationship with the MSP but I made it plain: I don't work for my old employer anymore. I can't help them. I have to protect myself.

The dumbest part of this is that when I started I didn't have access to that system and had to figure it out, and I documented the whole goddamn thing if anyone would bother to look at the IT documentation folder I created.

Wow, it's like some people don't understand the basic "if someone isn't paying me, then I'm not going to do anything for them" concept.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

I always run into something like the opposite of this. I get tasked with going to setup new workstations and since of course setting up the few Domains we still manage to automatically install anything is too much work (and pushing stuff in GFI for the people without a Domain apparently is too, if that's even a thing GFI does), I have to manually install everything from some central repository of stuff. Whenever I ask an Account Manager where they are, I just get a dismissive "In the <OUR COMPANY> folder."

Which could potentially be useful if the folders had any sort of convention for location and naming instead of being ~somewhere~ with one of a half-dozen different names.

And the new computer setup documentation is usually massively out of date and calls for the installation of stuff that the client no longer uses. But God forbid I loving ask about it or I'm the loving idiot.

There has actually been a couple of instances of me asking for clarification on something, editing the documentation, and then getting told "You should have checked the documentation, it has this info in it." Next time it happens I'm going to just e-mail them a massively blown up screenshot of the "EDITED BY:" timestamp.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 13, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The situation is even dumber because I have plaintext copies of almost all my documentation saved as clearly titled Notes in my Exchange account. They have full access to my email and it's all in there. I even have folders for each location and one titled "Reference" so if someone wants to do some data dumpster diving it would be easy to find pretty much everything. I know I'd be doing that if I was in the same situation of coming in after a manager left.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

The situation is even dumber because I have plaintext copies of almost all my documentation saved as clearly titled Notes in my Exchange account. They have full access to my email and it's all in there. I even have folders for each location and one titled "Reference" so if someone wants to do some data dumpster diving it would be easy to find pretty much everything. I know I'd be doing that if I was in the same situation of coming in after a manager left.

Of course, you should not tell anyone at that old company that this information even exists since you no longer work there. Let them try to figure it out themselves - it builds character.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Let them pay you $200/hr (minimum 3 hours) consulting fee to tell them the documentation exists.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Isn't the standard rate for asking a goon to come back and help roughly the price of a new boat?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't the standard rate for asking a goon to come back and help roughly the price of a new boat?

A trip to Europe, actually.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dogstile posted:

A trip to Europe, actually.

It depends on whether the goon is married :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Of course, you should not tell anyone at that old company that this information even exists since you no longer work there. Let them try to figure it out themselves - it builds character.

I've told them nothing, and they should be fine. I handed them a well-built and stable IT environment. How many times have I walked into complete chaos at a new job and quickly got it under control? This should be a damned cake-walk for anyone worth their salt.

"Help! Help! Everything has worked fine for years and continues to work!" :supaburn:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

I always run into something like the opposite of this. I get tasked with going to setup new workstations and since of course setting up the few Domains we still manage to automatically install anything is too much work (and pushing stuff in GFI for the people without a Domain apparently is too, if that's even a thing GFI does), I have to manually install everything from some central repository of stuff. Whenever I ask an Account Manager where they are, I just get a dismissive "In the <OUR COMPANY> folder."

Which could potentially be useful if the folders had any sort of convention for location and naming instead of being ~somewhere~ with one of a half-dozen different names.

And the new computer setup documentation is usually massively out of date and calls for the installation of stuff that the client no longer uses. But God forbid I loving ask about it or I'm the loving idiot.

There has actually been a couple of instances of me asking for clarification on something, editing the documentation, and then getting told "You should have checked the documentation, it has this info in it." Next time it happens I'm going to just e-mail them a massively blown up screenshot of the "EDITED BY:" timestamp.

This happens so much in my department that we actually turned "Its on the SAN" into a running joke. Right now the supervisor seems to enjoy re-arranging folders into whatever currently strikes his mood, so its even better.
Oh this week its IT\Our Group\Projects\Thing , next week it might be IT\Our Group\Vendor Name\Software. Then he gets mad when I make local copies on my laptop.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

I thought it was :10bux:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

skooma512 posted:

I thought it was :10bux:

That's merely the price for a goon to come back to point & laugh and/or shitpost. They'll gladly pay that money just to see the original group flounder, to actually help the price is indeed boat worthy.

Edit: Speaking of the above, I stopped back at my previous employer the day after I quit to return some data i had that would make the next guys job easier. I walk in and hand over the hard drive... and they ask me to build a laptop for a client without pay. Their reason was that I was the fastest and only one who had the procedure down to under 3 hours. My laughter was later best described as "unhinged and uproarious"

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 14, 2014

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Edit: Speaking of the above, I stopped back at my previous employer the day after I quit to return some data i had that would make the next guys job easier. I walk in and hand over the hard drive... and they ask me to build a laptop for a client without pay. Their reason was that I was the fastest and only one who had the procedure down to under 3 hours. My laughter was later best described as "unhinged and uproarious"

Asking a former employee for help with some issue that only they knew how to fix is at least kind of understandable, but expecting them to do an hours-long basic day-to-day task for you for free is just baffling. How disconnected from reality does someone have to be to think that's a reasonable request? :psyduck:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

dennyk posted:

Asking a former employee for help with some issue that only they knew how to fix is at least kind of understandable, but expecting them to do an hours-long basic day-to-day task for you for free is just baffling. How disconnected from reality does someone have to be to think that's a reasonable request? :psyduck:

The same kind who up until the 2010's was successfully selling people AOL services.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

That's merely the price for a goon to come back to point & laugh and/or shitpost. They'll gladly pay that money just to see the original group flounder, to actually help the price is indeed boat worthy.

Please tell me they were joking....

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not pissing me off: It's my last week! :yotj::yotj::yotj:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

skooma512 posted:

Please tell me they were joking....

I wish I could... I wish I could. But they were serious and had the laptop laid out and ready for imaging/configuration. I was dropping off the HDD of data/programs/cheater files and putting them back on their network as a courtesy because I was working in NYC proper on a special project.

So, I guess this is not for this thread, but I'm currently in the business of wanting to relocate the hell away for Helldesk/top Support because I really am tired to dealing with the stupidest of crap. I'm partway through the MCSA server 2012R2 certification process and about to take the ICND-1, but have about 2 years of experience otherwise but no degree (something I'd rather not get into). I have little to nothing tying me down to the New York Metropolitan area and am seriously considering relocation. What, realistically are my chances of making the jump to either SADmin or network administrator, even if they're a junior type of position?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I wish I could... I wish I could. But they were serious and had the laptop laid out and ready for imaging/configuration. I was dropping off the HDD of data/programs/cheater files and putting them back on their network as a courtesy because I was working in NYC proper on a special project.

So, I guess this is not for this thread, but I'm currently in the business of wanting to relocate the hell away for Helldesk/top Support because I really am tired to dealing with the stupidest of crap. I'm partway through the MCSA server 2012R2 certification process and about to take the ICND-1, but have about 2 years of experience otherwise but no degree (something I'd rather not get into). I have little to nothing tying me down to the New York Metropolitan area and am seriously considering relocation. What, realistically are my chances of making the jump to either SADmin or network administrator, even if they're a junior type of position?

Honestly, for an entry level networking or systems position, I think you would have a good chance depending on your specific knowledge and experience. Certifications are a definite boon for getting your foot in for an interview. Just be personable and know your fundamentals. And persevere. You may get a lot of "not interested" before you get a chance to show your stuff.

For entry level, a lot of times, degrees are usually gatekeepers for being considered. You'll see some descriptions mention things like B.S. in relevant field preferred, or B.S or equivalent work experience required. As you start moving up, credentials become less of an issue and the focus is more on professional development, body of work, or your reputation in the field depending on your specialization.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

flosofl posted:

Honestly, for an entry level networking or systems position, I think you would have a good chance depending on your specific knowledge and experience. Certifications are a definite boon for getting your foot in for an interview. Just be personable and know your fundamentals. And persevere. You may get a lot of "not interested" before you get a chance to show your stuff.

For entry level, a lot of times, degrees are usually gatekeepers for being considered. You'll see some descriptions mention things like B.S. in relevant field preferred, or B.S or equivalent work experience required. As you start moving up, credentials become less of an issue and the focus is more on professional development, body of work, or your reputation in the field depending on your specialization.

If nothing else, actually updating my resume and figuring out that I've actually done and seen some poo poo over the past two years has singlehandedly killed whatever level of depressive funk I've been feeling for the past month or so. I feel like I actually want to do things now and not be distracted by SA or other timewasters I've dived into. I've already reactivated my VMware ESXi lab (Now requiring an update to 5.5 apparently), and broke out my atrophied copy of GNS3 because this will be the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Good God, I was out of the office for 4 days last week. I never realized the insane number of emails I receive on a daily basis.