Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Note to all: Evan remains the best character in Pact. After commenting on the "chicken nugget" nickname, he tells Green Eyes that he never got to eat sushi as a kid. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

That was an absolutely fantastic intermission/chapter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I really struggled to follow that I have to say. Maybe I shouldn't read when I've only just woken up...

So a bunch of the kids blake though were kids were Faeries the whole time?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

thespaceinvader posted:

So a bunch of the kids blake though were kids were Faeries the whole time?

Looks like it. At least one anyway. Kind of paints Blake's encounter with Letita in a whole new light. Did Letita lose on purpose to give more ammo to the chaotic element?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Padriac knows a lot more is going on, and a lot more is at stake, than most of the humans involved in this conflict. But we can guess that Padriac doesn't know exactly what is up because that smug superior game playing jerk would be lording up that knowledge in his writing. We also know that he is underestimating Blake just like every-loving-one else.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

New Chapter and start of new arc. Its pretty awesome!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Even when everything goes right for Blake it still goes wrong. A true Wildbow story.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Well, we know Blake hasn't had his third run-in with the Abyss yet, and it seems that others are aware he needs three as well. (How exactly that happened is something I'd be interested in finding out.)

My money is on this end-of-arc cliffhanger being Rose throwing Blake into the Abyss herself. "You're too dangerous. Can't let you exist here. It's for your my own good."

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm starting to wonder if Grandma Rose set up the Alister&Rose thing in order to get some control over Rose to keep her out of Blake's way.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That was fun. The more we see of Alister, the more I'm liking him (I hope he stays this way -- Blake could use some more allies that aren't drenched in bad juju). He reminds me of what Blake might have become without the Thorburn karma (and a hefty dose of personality manipulation). Rose seriously seems to be stuck in paranoia mode, to the point that even Alister is picking up that she's more hostile towards Blake than she needs to be. Either something's up with that, or Wildbow is just okay with having her be a completely unsympathetic character.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I wonder if the Awakening ritual is actually a human binding themself to the Seal of Solomon. Seems to make sense from a thematic standpoint; there is the personal (/defining) item, the giving up the ability to lie and becoming more susceptibel to rituals.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Grundulum posted:

That was fun. The more we see of Alister, the more I'm liking him (I hope he stays this way -- Blake could use some more allies that aren't drenched in bad juju). He reminds me of what Blake might have become without the Thorburn karma (and a hefty dose of personality manipulation). Rose seriously seems to be stuck in paranoia mode, to the point that even Alister is picking up that she's more hostile towards Blake than she needs to be. Either something's up with that, or Wildbow is just okay with having her be a completely unsympathetic character.

Wasn't their animosity part of the Barbertotem ritual? Rose knows if Blake kills her he regains his old life and she's justifiably worried he's going to do that.

Alister seems sensible and a good guy and if we've learned anything about Wildbows' writing that means he's due to betray everybody later down the line at the worst time possible.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I like the theory someone mentioned in the comments, that Rose coming across even more unsympathetic since Blake's first trip to the abyss might be a deliberate choice by Wildbow to show the effect of getting all the Thorburn Karma dumped on her. Like the effect Padraic noted in the Interlude also applies to us, the readers.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

It could also be some effect of the Conquest influence on her.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Out of the frying pan, into several consecutive ever hotter fires.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dietrich posted:

Out of the frying pan, into several consecutive ever hotter fires.

True but I like the direction Blake is taking this, should be interesting at the very least.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

These last two chapters have just been pure insanity. Over/under on Evan acquiring some dragon fire to finally become fire-sparrow?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Blake would make a remarkably poor perch for a flame sparrow.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Not a big fan of the last chapter. Between the anatomy discussion and the hard-to-follow fight I didn't feel anything of substance really happened, although Wildbow may have spoiled us with too many gamechanging details in the past.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Why hasnt Ra updated god dammit. Worst cliffhanger ever

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

CaptainJuan posted:

Why hasnt Ra updated god dammit. Worst cliffhanger ever

The author apparently has the worst case of writer's block on the planet. He tweeted recently that he's writing the final chapter by brute force, trying sentence after sentence until he gets one he's happy with.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Namarrgon posted:

Not a big fan of the last chapter. Between the anatomy discussion and the hard-to-follow fight I didn't feel anything of substance really happened, although Wildbow may have spoiled us with too many gamechanging details in the past.

Same for me, both the last and this chapter. Plus a bit too much of Wildbow telling us back story instead of making it come out naturally. The discussion about Roxxane came out as really forced and unnatural to me. They're in a forest about to confront a practitioner of unknown capability, and they decide to have a weird conversation about her motivation and character?

I know it's happening because he can't seem to stop the constant succession of conflict and silly fight scenes but needs to flesh out the Thorburns, but this was particularly awkward.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It's why I have to take a month long break between reads, having to deal with this story in mini-bite format makes me really dislike it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SystemLogoff posted:

It's why I have to take a month long break between reads, having to deal with this story in mini-bite format makes me really dislike it.

Totally agree with that. I find the story to be much better reading it in big chunks.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I read Worm in one glorious two week binge and my brain was fried to the point I didn't even know what was going on in the last few arcs.

So what I'm saying is that moderation is the key.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Doesn't a comb generally turn into a forest, in folklore?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I generally liked this chapter, while I agree the exposition about Roxanne was maybe a bit too much it did sort or make sense. Peter was trying to drive home the point that she was attacking their own group but he had to explain more in depth so she would listen.

I think these next few chapters will be very interesting. I'm hoping it is less fighting and more talking with Mara and Corvidae. Blake will have to make some sort of deal with them that should be interesting or I guess the two of them could have been pulling the strings the whole time trying to get Jacob's Bell sunk into the abyss as punishment for stealing their land.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

blastron posted:

The author apparently has the worst case of writer's block on the planet. He tweeted recently that he's writing the final chapter by brute force, trying sentence after sentence until he gets one he's happy with.

He just posted it actually. I'm up in the air as to whether I like it or not.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Re: Ra: never underestimate the bandwidth of a spaceship full of disembodied minds hurtling through the universe

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't understand what Corvidae did and whether it was good or bad for Blake and company.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't understand what Corvidae did and whether it was good or bad for Blake and company.

I havent read it yet but it was bad.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah the last few chapters have really suffered from a lack of clarity as to what is going on in the critical moments. I think Wildbow needs to take a step back and work on his editorial process instead of moving ahead as fast as he is.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
The only thing that went through my head in the last few lines of the update

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I have a feeling that Mara may soon end up regretting trusting Corvidae.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Is that mirror the one with Conquest in it?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

If it isn't, then I will feel a little bit cheated. We know Corvidae has the one you're thinking of, and I can't remember any others mentioned in the story.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Namarrgon posted:

Yes, it definitely is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm getting increasingly bored with Pact. It just hasn't been interesting in like a month or more. I want some serious plot-advancing things to happen and instead we're getting tons of filler action. We didn't really need 50,000 words about Blake killing some DuChamp redshirts or 20,000 words about a Dragon and Giant that disappeared off the stage as quickly as they entered it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

We'll Blake is going to be taking his third trip to the abyss very soonish I think. The real question is, how is Blake going to react to learning the real truth? Thus far the abyss's manipulations have forged Blake more and more into a weapon of change, what's this final hammer blow going to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm not gonna stop following it, but sometimes the jump from place to place throws me. Why are they even going after Mara, it doesn't seem to flow as well as Worm did, things come and go with no future reference, they may as well have not been there in the first place.

• Locked thread