Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For :canada: folks both the U2415 and U2715 are $100 off today at dell.ca. Haven't seen those new ones on sale before on the .ca side.

Can't decide which I should get to go with my existing 2412. Would like to try 1440p gaming with my 970 gtx..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenNight posted:

Monitor deal:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

27in IPS-ZERO-G Slim Monitor WQHD 2560x1440 - Dual Link DVI, VGA

~$360.

Too bad no HDMI.

This was $270 a week ago. This is not the desirable one, the desirable one is the Monorpice IPS Glass one, which is a better panel, has displayport, and was $300 on black friday week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought the one I posted a week ago was the older model? If not, then yeah ignore.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
What's up with the 23" dell Ultrasharp did they stop making it?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

priznat posted:

For :canada: folks both the U2415 and U2715 are $100 off today at dell.ca. Haven't seen those new ones on sale before on the .ca side.

Can't decide which I should get to go with my existing 2412. Would like to try 1440p gaming with my 970 gtx..

VSYNC at 96 fps 1440p on Deus Ex: HR with the 970. Not the most demanding game, but drat is that card powerful. Absolutely crushes 1440p.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm on a GTX 680 with a 3440x1440 monitor and I haven't had much more than a superficial drop in framerates according to in-game FPS counters. I'm not sure if I want to know how much more powerful the GTX 970 really is, but I'm pretty happy with what I can run on it so far.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm on a GTX 680 with a 3440x1440 monitor and I haven't had much more than a superficial drop in framerates according to in-game FPS counters. I'm not sure if I want to know how much more powerful the GTX 970 really is, but I'm pretty happy with what I can run on it so far.

Which monitor? A 34" 3440x1440 is on my wish list. If they build one with Gsynch/freesynch, I'll just sell a kidney and be done with it.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

On a bit of a budget but still digging around for a monitor. Going to pick up a GTX 970 while i'm at it.

Finally picked the Asus VG248QE for gaming use, maybe a bit of general use.

Anything i should be wary of with it?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Which monitor? A 34" 3440x1440 is on my wish list. If they build one with Gsynch/freesynch, I'll just sell a kidney and be done with it.
LG34UM95-P, I posted it earlier in the thread I believe. Gsync/Freesync is pretty much only for gamers at this point and given in marketing land gamers don't want IPS displays due to both input lag tendencies and low refresh rates, these rather new, oddly shaped 34" monitors have been aimed at professional users first. Because gaming is a commodity-pricing driven market with stupid gaudy crap sold at high margins being the gravy money. It'll be several more months before such a monitor exists I'm pretty sure, I think Benq and/or AOC were supposed to come out with one in early/mid 2015 and even then I wouldn't hold my breath.

$800 for a kidney is a pretty bad deal for you (the 34UM95-P was available during Black Friday weekend on Newegg for about $810 w/ free shipping).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does anybody play games at 1080p on a 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 screen? Does it look remotely blurry or otherwise unpleasant?

The situation: I've been spoiled by the monitors at work and I want to get a bigger screen for general use, especially coding, but I don't care about gaming enough to splurge on a high-end card to game at those actual resolutions; especially since I only recently purchased a 750 Ti that handles 1080p perfectly well without breaking a sweat. So I'd just need to not suffer literal headaches from blurry pixels when I want to shoot some virtual soldiers (and when it comes to non-action games like XCOM or Wasteland 2, I imagine I could run at native anyway).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NihilCredo posted:

Does anybody play games at 1080p on a 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 screen? Does it look remotely blurry or otherwise unpleasant?

The situation: I've been spoiled by the monitors at work and I want to get a bigger screen for general use, especially coding, but I don't care about gaming enough to splurge on a high-end card to game at those actual resolutions; especially since I only recently purchased a 750 Ti that handles 1080p perfectly well without breaking a sweat. So I'd just need to not suffer literal headaches from blurry pixels when I want to shoot some virtual soldiers (and when it comes to non-action games like XCOM or Wasteland 2, I imagine I could run at native anyway).

Non-native still looks very unpleasant. It's less bad if you have the GPU do the scaling instead of the monitor, but still bad. If you're happy with games at low-spec, I'd just turn settings down as possible to keep things playable at 2560x1440.

I wouldn't let this hold you back from getting a high-res monitor anyway.

Edit: Yeah playing at pixel doubled 720p would be one solution.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 9, 2014

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

NihilCredo posted:

1080p on a 1440p screen will be a little blurry since there isn't a straight upsample path. However 1080p on a 2160p screen should be perfectly fine since it's just doubling the pixels.

If you go with a 1440p screen and your video card can't keep up you could move down to 720p which should give you a similar straight doubling of pixels as 1080p on 2160p.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks, so non-doubling is still as bad as always it seems. Hmm.

Do you guys know of any trick to force my card to render at 2560x1440 on a 1080p screen, so I can see how it performs? Some games have "supersampling" but I'm not sure it's the same thing, and they may not be the ones I want to play.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NihilCredo posted:

Do you guys know of any trick to force my card to render at 2560x1440 on a 1080p screen, so I can see how it performs? Some games have "supersampling" but I'm not sure it's the same thing, and they may not be the ones I want to play.

It's the same thing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

NihilCredo posted:

Its only really noticeable for small text - if your game UI has that it is going to look bad, if not it'll probably be fine. IMO.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm thinking of picking up an Asus PB287Q 4K monitor, everyone has something good to say about it, but I wanna hear some smack talk about it.

What issues and stuff does it have?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an Asus PB287Q 4K monitor, everyone has something good to say about it, but I wanna hear some smack talk about it.

What issues and stuff does it have?

There is no reason to buy a 4K TN with the new cheap 4K IPS screens. You can get a Dell P2715Q for roughly the same money and it will be SO MUCH better.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

You can do it at the driver level with nVidias Dynamic Super Resolution or AMDs Virtual Super Resolution, works with nearly any game.

AMD VSR only works on their newest generation of cards though.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
So I think I've settled on this build for my new computer:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($198.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($78.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1299.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 10:55 EST-0500

But now I have to decide on a monitor. I'd be happy with a 1920x1200 but apparently those are approaching extinction. I debated between a 1920x1080 and a 2560x1440 but at this point I'm leaning towards a 1920x1080 because I'd rather run games on ultra than have a higher resolution. So now I have to decide whether to go for a 120Hz or an IPS monitor and I'm really not sure what to do? I think I'm leaning towards the higher refresh rate despite the increased prices. Does anyone have any insight that's not already in the OP? And if someone has specific monitor suggestions I would appreciate that as well. The only other preference I have is that they have built in speakers.

Thanks!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you primary want to play games, get a 144hz TN panel, specifically one with no input lag and as best anti-ghosting options as possible. If you primarily do work or coding or anything that needs better color quality, get an IPS.

I have a BenQ XL2411z for gaming, 144hz, sub 10ms input lag, two AMA Overdrive options (High and Premium), built in Blur Reduction strobeing tech that is configurable through software. I am pretty impressed by the monitor overall, 144hz is a huge step up from old 60hz displays by itself and the High AMA setting is much better than the old lovely BenQ overdrive.

The Blur Reduction stuff still has a pretty noticeable downside with heavy crosstalk (a trailing, ghosting like effect), but the nice thing about this monitor is you have a lot of power to tweak and improve it, as long as you don't mind spending a little time on it. Once you've got it setup correctly it looks really drat good, but it definitely takes some messing around for a little while before you'll find a comfortable place with very little crosstalk and blur.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Hey goons, I need help locating a desk mount monitor stand that will hold a large size display without sagging. I'm using a 27" Korean 1440p display currently with a monoprice stand (one of these) but the stand tends to sag over time and the monitor tilts down on its own. Does anyone know of a more stable option? Something stupidly overbuilt would be good, I'm considering upgrading to one of the 30" 2560x1600 Korean displays soon.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

o muerte posted:

Hey goons, I need help locating a desk mount monitor stand that will hold a large size display without sagging. I'm using a 27" Korean 1440p display currently with a monoprice stand (one of these) but the stand tends to sag over time and the monitor tilts down on its own. Does anyone know of a more stable option? Something stupidly overbuilt would be good, I'm considering upgrading to one of the 30" 2560x1600 Korean displays soon.

You could try the Erogotron MX Desk Mount

http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/65/PRDID/56/default.aspx

I've hung an 2010 27" iMac on one of these without any problems.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I would like a quality, IPS monitor for general computer usage and some gaming. I play FPS', sometimes online, but casually enough that high refresh rates and the like aren't a big deal to me. I have a 23" crappy HP TN display right now, but I wouldn't mind something bigger. My only concern is that if I get a 27" monitor, I'd want something that is 1440p. My graphics card is getting up there in age - its a 1GB GTX560 - and I'd rather not replace it yet if I don't have to, since my computer still runs most games fine at high-ish settings. Additionally, I don't think I am going to build another desktop once this one becomes outdated; I'll probably just use a laptop and a docking station.

That said, I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

Nice 24" 1080p monitor. Same size, but will look much better, will work with a future laptop, and won't require a new video card
27" 1440p monitor. Bigger, will work for general use with my desktop and possibly with a future laptop, but 1440p might be too much for the video card to drive for gaming, so I'd need to tack at least another $200 on to the cost
27-30" 4K monitor. Bigger, excessively high resolution for my needs though. I'm worried that my video card might struggle with it during normal use, and I'm guessing only certain laptops will support it at native resolution. I think it'd work alright for gaming though, since I could just run it at 1080p with pixels doubled?

I'd ideally like to get a large monitor, but if I'd best be served with a 24" one (maybe I could get two?) I'll live.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Just upgraded from an ancient LG Flatron 882LE to a Dell Ultrasharp U2414H. The difference is amazing. I'm seeing detail in pictures and so forth that just weren't apparent with my ancient monitor and everything looks so clean and crisp. Had bought a BenQ GL2450HM but I returned it as the picture quality was poor even compared to my ancient monitor, even text looked bad if it was white text on a lighter background.

So far this is as big a quality of life upgrade as going from platter to SSD hard drives.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

I Am A Robot posted:

So I think I've settled on this build for my new computer:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($198.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($78.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1299.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 10:55 EST-0500

But now I have to decide on a monitor. I'd be happy with a 1920x1200 but apparently those are approaching extinction. I debated between a 1920x1080 and a 2560x1440 but at this point I'm leaning towards a 1920x1080 because I'd rather run games on ultra than have a higher resolution. So now I have to decide whether to go for a 120Hz or an IPS monitor and I'm really not sure what to do? I think I'm leaning towards the higher refresh rate despite the increased prices. Does anyone have any insight that's not already in the OP? And if someone has specific monitor suggestions I would appreciate that as well. The only other preference I have is that they have built in speakers.

Thanks!

Yeah, if you're buying a 970 do yourself a favor and get a 1440p monitor. Its almost the year of our lord 2015, leave the world of 1080p behind and jump into 1440p. I just upgraded from a dell 1920x1200 to a QNIX 27" @ 1440P 96Hz and its mindblowing. We're talking about a 50% increase in pixels. I play Farcry 4 on ultra and get 40-80 FPS on a R290 and its simply booooootiful. Even if I didn't OC the QNIX and only played at 60HZ it would still be mindblowing.

Pixels > refresh rate.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So you're saying it's better to get this:

http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-L...ords=QNIX+27%22

QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" 27 inch 2560x1440

Than this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWFNMJS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2PSI31R6E3MFE&coliid=I39EACCLCXK1ER

BenQ 1ms GTG XL2720Z 27-inch High Performance LED Gaming Monitor

If I'm looking to hook up my GTX 970 and PS3?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sativa dreams posted:

Yeah, if you're buying a 970 do yourself a favor and get a 1440p monitor. Its almost the year of our lord 2015, leave the world of 1080p behind and jump into 1440p. I just upgraded from a dell 1920x1200 to a QNIX 27" @ 1440P 96Hz and its mindblowing. We're talking about a 50% increase in pixels. I play Farcry 4 on ultra and get 40-80 FPS on a R290 and its simply booooootiful. Even if I didn't OC the QNIX and only played at 60HZ it would still be mindblowing.

Pixels > refresh rate.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 12, 2014

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

GreenNight posted:

So you're saying it's better to get this:

http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-L...ords=QNIX+27%22

QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" 27 inch 2560x1440

Than this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWFNMJS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2PSI31R6E3MFE&coliid=I39EACCLCXK1ER

BenQ 1ms GTG XL2720Z 27-inch High Performance LED Gaming Monitor

If I'm looking to hook up my GTX 970 and PS3?

I didn't realize you are looking to hook up your PS3 as well, you would not be able to get that particular Qnix model as it only has DVI input. Regardless though, if you are going to get the kind of graphics firepower that the 970 provides you should definitely get 1440p.

Maybe this:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT...ywords=GW2765HT

I haven't done a whole lot of research on 1440p monitors, I just bought my friends Qnix for $180 and didn't look back. (he was a sucker haha)

edit ^ or just get both like he said :D I actually still use my dell(s), running both of them in portrait mode on either side of the qnix. I like having lots of screen real estate.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Trip report for trying to daisy chain my 34UM95-P to my Dell U2711

Thunderbolt from MBPr to 34UM95-P - OK
miniDP to DP cable (works perfectly fine with U2711 and 34UM95-P) from 34UM95-P to U2711 - nothing on the U2711

Attempted to enable displayPort 1.2 to see if that makes a difference on the 34UM95-P - it's grayed out probably because the U2711 is not DP1.2 compatible. That option is normally available when I hook it up via displayPort at least instead of the Thunderbolt port. To get both the 34UM95-P and U2711 working with the MBP-r, I have to use two cables, which is what I'm doing now. It is possible for daisychaining to work with newer monitors (I know there's been people reporting they can daisychain their DP monitors with the 34UM95-P) but that's just not in the cards for this guy somehow.
Conclusion: U2711 will not daisy chain with a 34UM95-P

$38 on this cable and it really just bought me the ability to plugin one place for my monitor and USB peripherals. Granted, I switch inputs and computers constantly (3 computers) and it might save some wear on my MBPr but this is a bit of a disappointment since I was hoping to have dual displays possible on at least two machines. It'd be pretty stupid of me to buy a new monitor and sell this one over trying to get rid of one cable basically, so I'll stick with this setup probably.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
And this is the reason that proper docking stations exist.

To me its unfathomable that Apple has never come up with a proper dock (I'm sure they could make something far slicker than HP or Lenovo or whoever)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

necrobobsledder posted:

Trip report for trying to daisy chain my 34UM95-P to my Dell U2711

Thunderbolt from MBPr to 34UM95-P - OK
miniDP to DP cable (works perfectly fine with U2711 and 34UM95-P) from 34UM95-P to U2711 - nothing on the U2711

Silly question: Is the "Enable DP 1.2" thingy turned on in the monitor's menus?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I dunno if any form of a docking station would help in this case. I have a docking station for a Dell laptop, it can help with a single machine and multiple displays, but not the n x m matrix of bullshit I'm trying to arrange in a sane manner.

Also, Apple does make a docking station, it's just that you have to buy a monitor with it. I would have gotten a Thunderbolt display instead of the U2711 but lack of interoperability with my Windows PCs would be a problem, and the lack of input options in general was an issue. Hell, I don't understand why Apple only put one Thunderbolt port that's chained to the sole upstream port.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Factory Factory posted:

Silly question: Is the "Enable DP 1.2" thingy turned on in the monitor's menus?
I noted it's grayed out and it's not that way with nothing attached.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well, I've decided to return the dell u2414h and look for something that handles blacks better. Gonna urge gaming goons to avoid this monitor like hell, it seems the ips glow is pretty bad across all of them, and just can't handle dark games well at all. Ugh I don't know what to get now

Images of the soon to be returned U2414H:

New Dell U2414H IPS

Old Dell 24" TN

IPS glow made somewhat worse by camera, but it was still way too bad to keep the monitor. I don't even know what's up with the red shift on the right.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 13, 2014

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

A little off-topic, but does this thread have informed opinions on projectors?

While I was browsing for monitors, it struck me that instead of finding a compromise between desktop needs (large but not too large size, highest affordable resolution, balanced aspect ratio) and gaming / movie needs (the bigger the better, not much need to go over 1080p, panoramic aspect ratio), it might be worth it to get a monitor for the former and a projector for the latter. I get both maximum gooniness and something better for entertaining friends over.

It seems 1080p projectors can be had for less than twice the price of a nice monitor, and while I may not be willing to pay that much for a GTX970 or another 1440p/4K video card, I may be willing to pay it for 150" gaming :circlefap:. But I have no idea if those cheap Optoma/BenQ/Epson projectors s are any good, and if the answer is a universal "no" it would be nice to know before I dive into the dedicated review sites.

VVVV Thanks! I hadn't found anything in SH/SC.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 14, 2014

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

A little off-topic, but does this thread have informed opinions on projectors?

There's a projector thread over in IYG.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What game is that?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Coredump posted:

What game is that?

It's Forza Horizon 2 and that's the Mercedes C63 AMG Black if you're curious

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 14, 2014

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
My left U2412M is too red but Windows forgets it's own color calibration every single time I restart :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

filo
Jan 27, 2004

run run run run run
I've recently run into what I think is a capacitor issue with my Dell 30" U3011 after almost 4 years of owning it. It's conveniently just outside the Dell warranty and no one will service it so I guess I'm stuck either attempting to fix it or buying a new monitor. I really liked it while it was working and didn't really have any issues however now I'm hesitant to buy anything from Dell. Ideally, I'd like something that doesn't die but I know manufacturing processes and build quality for major monitor brands are very similar.

$1500 is my budget and I'm looking for the best possible monitor for graphic design use. Minimum size 27". Probably an IPS display or whatever will get me the best colors. Thank you for your help and let me know if there is anything I can clarify that will help narrow down the best option!