Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Reminds me of the old car decks you removed in their entirety before detachable faceplates were a thing. Just toss your engine in this handy tote to discourage thieves. Might want to opt for a shoulder strap.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So apparently the model was too scared to tell the photographer "ummmm there's an engine in there"?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Obviously the 911 engine bay is roomy as heck.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beats me. You know, that qualifies as terrible car stuff so here you go:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4795109325.html

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

During the 25 Hours of Thunderhill at about 10:30pm, the driver of this Miata ran out of gas on the back straight short of the pits. He turned to get off the race track. He did not see the cars at speed on the racing line. Two cars managed to dive to safety. The third car (Mazda 6 Diesel) did not. He was evacuated with a collapsed lung but is otherwise okay.

Dude was loving lucky. Seat was stamped metal, slightly bent and partially in the passenger side of the car.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Raluek posted:

I think he might have a minor fuel leak on the left there.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

The only possible market I could think of for that would be rich kids who aren't old enough to have a license to drive a real car.

I mean, mopeds aren't exactly popular outside of 13-15 year old kids here in the US for the same reason - until you turn 16 you can't drive a real car solo, and a lovely underpowered bike that can do ~30 MPH downhill with a stiff tailwind gives you more options than a pedal bike or walking.

90% of the people I see driving mopeds here in the U.S. are people in their 20s, 30s, and above who have lost their license to multiple DUIs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Aurune posted:

During the 25 Hours of Thunderhill at about 10:30pm, the driver of this Miata ran out of gas on the back straight short of the pits. He turned to get off the race track. He did not see the cars at speed on the racing line. Two cars managed to dive to safety. The third car (Mazda 6 Diesel) did not. He was evacuated with a collapsed lung but is otherwise okay.

Dude was loving lucky. Seat was stamped metal, slightly bent and partially in the passenger side of the car.

drat, I'm sure fatigue had a lot to do with that incident. Lucky everything turned out relatively well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fakeaccount posted:

90% of the people I see driving mopeds here in the U.S. are people in their 20s, 30s, and above who have lost their license to multiple DUIs.
Hey, guess what a huge part of the historical customer base for microcars in France was?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Hey, guess what a huge part of the historical customer base for microcars in France was?

children standing on eachother shoulders wearing a trenchcoat so they look like a single adult?

or maybe sentient cheese.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's France. Sentient cheese is always a correct answer.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

atomicthumbs posted:

I think he might have a minor fuel leak on the left there.

That's the PCV hose.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4795109325.html

And it's a loving '68. WHAT THE gently caress GUY.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And it's a loving '68. WHAT THE gently caress GUY.

He said the original engine comes with it, the block was too far gone to rebuild. Pretty reasonable, really.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The bag is full of intermediate shaft bearing kits and Carmax warranty paperwork.

Holy poo poo! haha

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

fakeaccount posted:

People who own mopeds, putting aside "moped enthusiasts", are the worst people. College aged guys who think they can get reliable motorized transportation from a 30 year old vehicle with 0 maintenance cost.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I liked my scooter when I had one, because I was broke and it beat the bus (Vegas isn't bike-friendly).

I was completely legit, though; licensed and insured.

I'm the terrible car stuff.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Oh hey, moped cars!
You'd think those things would be nigh impossible to sell due to the prize, but in Finland they've managed to sold 6522 of these things between 2000-2013, with a peak of 1159 in 2011. This year is a bit slower, 790 sold so far. Not that big numbers when you consider there's 5 million of us Finns, but there's a few hotspot cities where these things are really popular.. like in my city! :v:

The number 1 users are teens, who drive these to school (and roll them in roundabouts on friday/saturday nights), so you'll know you're close to a school when the parking lot looks like this:

(That red triangle is mandatory on slow moving 4-wheel vehicles)

[edit] Should prob. mention that you can drive a moped car when you're 15, though you'll still need a driving licence for that (we have a special AM-class made for that), so you don't see that many half-blind old farts driving these (as they've already lost their licence to drive p. much anything).

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 14, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JointHorse posted:

Oh hey, moped cars!
You'd think those things would be nigh impossible to sell due to the prize, but in Finland they've managed to sold 6522 of these things between 2000-2013, with a peak of 1159 in 2011. This year is a bit slower, 790 sold so far. Not that big numbers when you consider there's 5 million of us Finns, but there's a few hotspot cities where these things are really popular.. like in my city! :v:

The number 1 users are teens, who drive these to school (and roll them in roundabouts on friday/saturday nights), so you'll know you're close to a school when the parking lot looks like this:

(That red triangle is mandatory on slow moving 4-wheel vehicles)

Is insurance really cheap over there in comparison to places like the UK or something? I'm astonished that youngsters can afford to buy them. If you never ever venture out the city I can understand the logic of having such a vehicle, if they were actually sold at a competitive price. In fact I think you could even do an entire thread about cars you could get for less than the cost of an Aixam shitbox.

Obviously I'm not the target market, but the thought of having to make a long trip only using A roads at an excruciating 28mph makes me shudder.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Given the choice of putting your 15-year old on a moped or a 4 wheeled moped with a roof, which would you honestly pick? Assuming that you live in a cold rainy country like England. The kids don't buy those cars, parents do. And I'm willing to bet, that someone who is just learning to drive at 25, is going to be way worse on the road than a 25 year old, who started driving a glorified golf cart 10 years prior.

Where is the terrible car stuff?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Given the choice of putting your 15-year old on a moped or a 4 wheeled moped with a roof, which would you honestly pick? Assuming that you live in a cold rainy country like England. The kids don't buy those cars, parents do. And I'm willing to bet, that someone who is just learning to drive at 25, is going to be way worse on the road than a 25 year old, who started driving a glorified golf cart 10 years prior.

Pretty much this. Here the exact opposite is the case and it is terrible. 16 year-olds can finance powerful turbo jap imports and drive them without insurance using a license they got via a 40 question theory test and a half hour practical following that. There is no form of restriction in place whatsoever; provided they have the cash they can buy whatever car they like. No mandatory insurance, no restrictions on the size/power of the vehicle you can own. Carnage ensues just like you'd expect. I'd much rather they were all driving slow-moving shitboxes that can't even go on the motorway.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Nitrox posted:

The terrible car stuff is that they're really expensive to buy (for what they are), really expensive to insure (again, for what they are) and they are honestly not that safe at all. If they cost about a third of what they currently do, or at least half, and were subject to the same safety standards as cars are (including NCAP tests) and were cheaper to insure we'd probably all be singing their praises.

Slavvy posted:

Pretty much this. Here the exact opposite is the case and it is terrible. 16 year-olds can finance powerful turbo jap imports and drive them without insurance using a license they got via a 40 question theory test and a half hour practical following that. There is no form of restriction in place whatsoever; provided they have the cash they can buy whatever car they like. No mandatory insurance, no restrictions on the size/power of the vehicle you can own. Carnage ensues just like you'd expect. I'd much rather they were all driving slow-moving shitboxes that can't even go on the motorway.

Where is this? :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Glorious New Zealand. Most of the fast JDM stuff is now wrecked or priced out of reach but students driving WRX's in highschool was not uncommon a couple of years ago. To this day there are meetups every friday and saturday night around midnight where all the wannabe Paul Walkers drive around the streets in a huge train attempting to race while getting constantly followed by the cops. The shift in prices and availability has just made it so the rich kids have the faster cars and everyone else tools around in laurels, cefiros and similar vehicles which can accept more powerful drivetrains from the desirable models with little modification.

This issue is big enough that it routinely makes national news and there are constant cries to do something without anyone actually wanting anything to change because that would mean either mandatory insurance or a driver's license that is difficult to get. Both of which aren't ~*the kiwi way*~ because everyone should learn to drive from their mum and dad on the farm or some poo poo :rolleyes:

Driver licensing in NZ is contentious the way gun control is in the US. Everyone wants to fix the problem but noone actually wants to FIX the problem, because that would be hard and expensive and inconvenient for a lot of people.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ludicro posted:

The terrible car stuff is that they're really expensive to buy (for what they are), really expensive to insure (again, for what they are) and they are honestly not that safe at all. If they cost about a third of what they currently do, or at least half, and were subject to the same safety standards as cars are (including NCAP tests) and were cheaper to insure we'd probably all be singing their praises.
More expensive to buy and insure than a scooter, yes. But you fail to understand that comparing them to a car is not an option, because there is no such thing as a car insurance for a 15 year old. You don't cross shop those things against used 7 series BMWs, your choices are either moped, bicycle, scooter or similar golf cart-like devices. The prices are set by the very niche market in which they are the top pick.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
In :fsmug: when I was 16 I bought a 87 Trans Am GTA with a 350 in it with money I made from working part time at a hardware store. Insurance wasn't horrible either.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nitrox posted:

More expensive to buy and insure than a scooter, yes. But you fail to understand that comparing them to a car is not an option, because there is no such thing as a car insurance for a 15 year old. You don't cross shop those things against used 7 series BMWs, your choices are either moped, bicycle, scooter or similar golf cart-like devices. The prices are set by the very niche market in which they are the top pick.

This. It keeps you out of the elements, can take a passenger/cargo, and it takes a bit more effort to drop on it's side than a scooter.

No one is saying the $15k ones are great buys, but there is a niche for mooters/cooters.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Here (the Netherlands) only old and/or disabled people drive those things. Especially disabled people, it's actually called a "disabled person's car" here. I can't imagine any high school students willing to suffer the abuse they'd get if they showed up to school in one of those. That actual kids drive them in Finland baffles me; maybe there's also some country where that covered BMW scooter thing isn't the butt of jokes.

The most common ones are those Aixams; older ones were much simpler (and I guess you could say more honest) looking, the crossover-like plastic bash guards on the modern Aixams crack me up whenever I see one.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Nitrox posted:

Even so, its so much more hilariously expensive than a scooter. You can get a brand new scooter for around £500, and insure it for less than £400 at the age of 16. Thats about a tenth of the cost one of these quadricycles + insurance would run you. From the stuff you see in the press, it is clear the quadricycle manufacturers want these to become widespread as a pre-car for the 16 year old, but their product fails in what its set out to do because it is simply exceptionally poor bang for buck. Maybe it will become the standard pre-car for the rich only, while the rest of us make do with a scooter and then get a second hand hatchback as is the norm (or just take the bus and wait until you're 17).

That's not even getting into the safety issue. These things might not technically be cars, but they behave like a car, they're shaped like a car, they have four wheels and take up the same space as a car, so for all intents and purposes it should be treated as a very slow car. Especially from a safety perspective. I would actually be interested to see some proper research on safety with scooters vs quadricycles, because based on when incidents have occured it seems you can opt for being hit and thrown across the road on a scooter, or crushed by metal and plastic/thrown across the road when your vehicle rips in two with a quadricycle.

The idea is sound, its just the execution. Much like the Renault Twizy.

The electric microcar of the future starting at only £6895!

-Doors are an optional extra.
-Said optional doors don't have windows, or locks for that matter.
-Also the inside is basically open to the elements, so everything is made out of horrible plastic to be weatherproof.
-Battery is £45 a month to lease. Not including electrical costs.
-Has a cargo capacity of 31 litres.
-Full charge gets you between 30 to 50 miles depending on driving style.
-Top speed of 50mph.
-You will likely suffer life threatening injuries in a 30mph collision.

Just stick an electric motor in a Fiat 500 and be done with it for gods sake.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ludicro posted:

These were all over Florence (and no other city that we visited in Italy, not even Rome). You could see the point where the lead engineer's idealism gave way to "just loving finish this piece of garbage."

You could get windows for the doors but they're basically clear raincoat plastic.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

fakeaccount posted:

Do you think those people are happy about having to get around on a moped? I said they're only popular with the 13-15 male demographic, not that they're the only people who buy/ride them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My college had a bunch of these that student organizations could use for various purposes.

They were a hoot driving across the walkways on campus, but honestly terrifying whenever they had to go on actual roads. Way too expensive to justify ever actually owning one personally, but they had their uses (beyond making people assume I had decision making power in some way).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

High Protein posted:

Here (the Netherlands) only old and/or disabled people drive those things. Especially disabled people, it's actually called a "disabled person's car" here. I can't imagine any high school students willing to suffer the abuse they'd get if they showed up to school in one of those. That actual kids drive them in Finland baffles me; maybe there's also some country where that covered BMW scooter thing isn't the butt of jokes.

The most common ones are those Aixams; older ones were much simpler (and I guess you could say more honest) looking, the crossover-like plastic bash guards on the modern Aixams crack me up whenever I see one.

That looks like a bad photoshop.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

These were all over Florence (and no other city that we visited in Italy, not even Rome). You could see the point where the lead engineer's idealism gave way to "just loving finish this piece of garbage."

You could get windows for the doors but they're basically clear raincoat plastic.

That's actually done for insurance and registration reasons. You register the Twizzy as a quad, which also means that it doesn't have to pass crash tests. If it had fixed doors etc. it would have to be registered as a car and pass way more stringent crash tests.

G-Mach posted:

In :fsmug: when I was 16 I bought a 87 Trans Am GTA with a 350 in it with money I made from working part time at a hardware store. Insurance wasn't horrible either.

Well, when I was 18 and got my license I ended up paying about $2000 for it which leaves you with substantially less money for a car afterwards. :gbsmith:

I feel like this is still on topic because German driver's license prices are absolutely terrible car stuff.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

My college had a bunch of these that student organizations could use for various purposes.

They were a hoot driving across the walkways on campus, but honestly terrifying whenever they had to go on actual roads. Way too expensive to justify ever actually owning one personally, but they had their uses (beyond making people assume I had decision making power in some way).

We have some of those at work. If you floor it, you can eventually hit 28 mph. This is risky, though, because the brakes are poo poo. The most fun thing about driving one was when we would stuff three people in and try to get across the site without being stopped by security for overloading it--"poo poo, pull into that alley before he sees us!"

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I just don't understand why electric cars have to be so ugly and have really awful names. Tesla seems to have the right idea, but they need to bring their range and affordability way way down so its feasible for the every day motorist. The cheapest model is £49,000, although granted that gets you a quite stylish four door saloon with a 380hp engine that can do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds with a range of 215-245 miles.

If they can get get the charging time down to something more reasonable like 10 minutes with the infrastructure across the country, and have a small family hatchback with the same battery capacity but a much more modest engine (like 150hp) to vastly increase its range, and keep that price point at around £15-20k, and we might just start seeing more electrics on the road.

Just don't have them looking like this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ludicro posted:

Even so, its so much more hilariously expensive than a scooter. You can get a brand new scooter for around £500, and insure it for less than £400 at the age of 16. Thats about a tenth of the cost one of these quadricycles + insurance would run you. From the stuff you see in the press, it is clear the quadricycle manufacturers want these to become widespread as a pre-car for the 16 year old, but their product fails in what its set out to do because it is simply exceptionally poor bang for buck. Maybe it will become the standard pre-car for the rich only, while the rest of us make do with a scooter and then get a second hand hatchback as is the norm (or just take the bus and wait until you're 17).

That's not even getting into the safety issue. These things might not technically be cars, but they behave like a car, they're shaped like a car, they have four wheels and take up the same space as a car, so for all intents and purposes it should be treated as a very slow car. Especially from a safety perspective. I would actually be interested to see some proper research on safety with scooters vs quadricycles, because based on when incidents have occured it seems you can opt for being hit and thrown across the road on a scooter, or crushed by metal and plastic/thrown across the road when your vehicle rips in two with a quadricycle.

The electric microcar of the future starting at only £6895!

-Doors are an optional extra.
-Said optional doors don't have windows, or locks for that matter.
-Also the inside is basically open to the elements, so everything is made out of horrible plastic to be weatherproof.
-Battery is £45 a month to lease. Not including electrical costs.
-Has a cargo capacity of 31 litres.
-Full charge gets you between 30 to 50 miles depending on driving style.
-Top speed of 50mph.
-You will likely suffer life threatening injuries in a 30mph collision.

Just stick an electric motor in a Fiat 500 and be done with it for gods sake.

- Is a Renault.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ludicro posted:

That particular car is more a Mitsubishi is terrible problem rather than an electric car problem - that was actually an old petrol powered design that Mitsubishi had lying around not something purpose built for electric power.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ludicro posted:

I just don't understand why electric cars have to be so ugly and have really awful names. Tesla seems to have the right idea, but they need to bring their range and affordability way way down so its feasible for the every day motorist. The cheapest model is £49,000, although granted that gets you a quite stylish four door saloon with a 380hp engine that can do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds with a range of 215-245 miles.

If they can get get the charging time down to something more reasonable like 10 minutes with the infrastructure across the country, and have a small family hatchback with the same battery capacity but a much more modest engine (like 150hp) to vastly increase its range, and keep that price point at around £15-20k, and we might just start seeing more electrics on the road.

They're working on it. The Tesla Model III is due out in 2017. Estimated cost ranges from $30,000 to $50,000 -- expensive, but not out of reach of the middle class.

I'd love to see the Tesla battery swap stations actually become a thing. You drive onto a platform and robot arms swap your discharged battery for a charged battery in something like a minute for a fee. Tesla had a demonstration of this live on a stage once, and they were able to swap out 2.5 batteries in the time it took to pump a tank of gas.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Maybe someone who's more well versed in car design can explain this, but is it really so hard to design a normal looking electric car? I understand weight limitations and such, but is there any reason an electric car has to be some bubble based golf cart poo poo instead of all looking like a more traditional car? I mean Tesla and Fisker seem to have pulled it off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe someone who's more well versed in car design can explain this, but is it really so hard to design a normal looking electric car? I understand weight limitations and such, but is there any reason an electric car has to be some bubble based golf cart poo poo instead of all looking like a more traditional car? I mean Tesla and Fisker seem to have pulled it off...

No it's not but branding dictates you should "make a statement" with the expensive/unique poo poo.