Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm going to make a controversial statement. Team GFB Radio > Giant Bomb. Anyone that says otherwise can't handle the Lang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Counterpoint: Stories about that one time Dave Lang got drunk are boring.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Counter counterpoint: Dave Lang has never been sober. Ergo there has never been any such story.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Loved the first episode, can't wait for the ones that talk about the actually cool stuff about Morrowind!

I've played the game like forty times in the last twelve years and never killed Dagoth Ur.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

KoldPT posted:

Loved the first episode, can't wait for the ones that talk about the actually cool stuff about Morrowind!

I've played the game like forty times in the last twelve years and never killed Dagoth Ur.

Thankee kindly. The 2nd episode concentrates on the guild stuff (which isn't particularly cool, I think) but we're going to talk about breaking the game in the wrap up third episode.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hopefully you spend some time in the third episode covering why you knowingly made a Bosmer character, n'wah :colbert:

(I know that you like archers and they're the best archers. I also wish you could poison arrows. Bosmer are just so drat annoying and lame compared to the other kinds of elves. Also gently caress I want to play Morrowind again)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Hopefully you spend some time in the third episode covering why you knowingly made a Bosmer character, n'wah :colbert:

(I know that you like archers and they're the best archers. I also wish you could poison arrows. Bosmer are just so drat annoying and lame compared to the other kinds of elves. Also gently caress I want to play Morrowind again)

Yup, just archery. Archery sort of sucks in Morrowind but I wanted to try it so bad.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I thought I read that Michael Kirkbride wrote about 90% of everything in the game. Defenitely most of the books/lore are by his hand, but I can't find a source for this.

And while I understand that you don't want/have the time to read all the books in the game, it would be a crime if I don't order you to read sermon 14 of the 36 lessons of Vivec. It's ... special.

On a more serious note, on of my favorite texts in morrowind is the called Trap. It's in-game fiction and drat well written. Not long either. You should also at least read the Pocket guide to the Empire just to note the insanity in the world and how every game has disappointed the fiction for the actual portrayal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

Yup, just archery. Archery sort of sucks in Morrowind but I wanted to try it so bad.

If it makes you feel better, there's a Bosmer beggar in Tribunal who, if you deny giving him gold, will come back later decked out in endgame armor with 700+ luck and attack you on sight. So they're still annoying but they get some amount of revenge.

Also, if you can try to work a little bit of background on the Telvanni into your last episode, they're definitely the most interesting Great House.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay thanks for the clarification on Solar Jetman, it's one of those really fun little games which nobody seems to have played, and which was never cloned on other platforms in any way.

Comparing it to Lunar Lander is correct insofar as it has gravity and rocket physics, but it really doesn't do justice to what the game's about, what it's like, or how wild it gets farther in. :(

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I think Solar Jetman would have enjoyed more popularity if it wasn't so goddamn hard. When I think 'NES hard' my brain immediately jumps to that game, even over stuff like Fester's Quest and Ironsword. They also crammed a lot of controls on the NES pad, IIRC up and down controlled the shields, left an right rotated your ship, and you had to use select + A or B for specific stuff. Not much stuff to keep track of compared to a PC sim, but when you're hardwired from pretty much every other game that UP = UP it's an extra hurdle on top of everything else like managing scarce fuel/oxygen/whatever it was

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Does anyone listen to Rebel FM? Is Gies still insufferable? How did the whole Gamergate thing go down as far as the podcast was concerned?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I still do. Yes he is. I can't remember them really saying much outside of the similar things other podcasts said. Mitch and Marty from IGN have been showing up a lot of episodes lately and they're both funny and have decent to good opinions about stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Milkman posted:

I think Solar Jetman would have enjoyed more popularity if it wasn't so goddamn hard. When I think 'NES hard' my brain immediately jumps to that game, even over stuff like Fester's Quest and Ironsword. They also crammed a lot of controls on the NES pad, IIRC up and down controlled the shields, left an right rotated your ship, and you had to use select + A or B for specific stuff. Not much stuff to keep track of compared to a PC sim, but when you're hardwired from pretty much every other game that UP = UP it's an extra hurdle on top of everything else like managing scarce fuel/oxygen/whatever it was
I rememeber it being one of the fairest "hard" games I played. :saddowns:

Not like running around lost and aimless in Zelda 2 until you convinced a friend to call a 1-900 number for a solution. ;)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I still do. Yes he is. I can't remember them really saying much outside of the similar things other podcasts said. Mitch and Marty from IGN have been showing up a lot of episodes lately and they're both funny and have decent to good opinions about stuff.

They ought to have Burch on and see if they can cause a holier than thou black hole.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

Is Gies still insufferable?
Just one look at his Twitter is usually enough to confirm that yes, Arthur Gies is still some kind of wet-blanket golem animated by First World Problems.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Saint who chases the Cliff Racers out of Morrowind is none other than Jiub, the other prisoner in the boat at the start of the game. I think it gets brought up in Oblivion too. Also don't use a Cliff Racers removal mod, they have one of the few ingredients that lets you make levitation potions, and by far the easiest to come by. I always used a mod that made healthy wildlife passive, by the time diseased and blighted creatures start showing up in greater numbers most are trivial to kill.

I should probably just set aside 3 hours each time one of these episodes drops and just take notes, I haven't played this game with much regularity since 2011 but so much of it is still on my mind, it was the only game I played for the first 6-12 months I owned it.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
We're nothing but humble about the things we'll get factually wrong or overlook, so thanks everyone for pointing this stuff out. I'm capturing it for the errata.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

We're nothing but humble about the things we'll get factually wrong or overlook, so thanks everyone for pointing this stuff out. I'm capturing it for the errata.

I think you guys hit the nail on the head when you said Morrowind was worthy of a Bonfireside Chat style of show, theres really only so much that can get covered even in a Very Special Episode WoFF format. But you're doing a great job so far*, and I'm looking forward to the next parts.

*Apart from suggesting that anything would be improved by giving it Skyrim's UI, dear god no :gonk:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Song For The Deaf posted:

Oh yeah, there's a ton of backstory and extraneous lore in this game that I don't begrudge you for missing, I just happen to have a really good memory for this sort of thing and love talking about it in the context of Morrowind. Looking at the series as a whole this is definitely where things started turning from "hardcore CRPG" to "contemporary western open-world RPG" and I'm glad the series still places a lot of stock in its lore, even if Oblivion and Skyrim don't have it so up-front.

I'm not sure if you mentioned who the Tribunal actually are, which I think is important enough to briefly ramble about here- like Dagoth Ur, they were friends of Nerevar and fought with him at the Battle of Red Mountain; Vivec was his mentor/training partner, Almalexia was his wife, and Sotha Sil was some dude. After the battle they use the Heart of Lorkhan to make themselves gods, and the conflicting story is "Nerevar died in battle" vs. "Nerevar was betrayed by these three who wanted the power for themselves". Dagoth Ur's power comes from the Heart too, and once you destroy it Vivec also tells you "We Tribunal will eventually lose our power", to which he is ambivalent but in the Tribunal expansion you learn how the other two, mostly Almalexia, feel about it (She's not happy). There's a series of books in Morrowind called the 36 Sermons of Vivec that are basically biblical chapters for the Temple. There's supposedly a secret message in there that is a confession from Vivec about having killed Nerevar with the rest of the Tribunal.

In summary,

E:
In non-Morrowind news, I looked up the Jurassic World fan trailer mentioned in the latest Thumbs, it is pretty cool but I think the vast majority of people seeing the trailer in theaters wouldn't realize that the dialogue is from Jurassic Park. At least for me, if I hadn't heard Thumbs talking about it I wouldn't have immediately made the connection.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 14, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Pasco posted:

I think you guys hit the nail on the head when you said Morrowind was worthy of a Bonfireside Chat style of show, theres really only so much that can get covered even in a Very Special Episode WoFF format. But you're doing a great job so far*, and I'm looking forward to the next parts.

I want someone else to do that, honestly. While I appreciate the lore in ES, I like it best when other people explain it to me. A lot of the primary text emulates academic writing a little too well for me to want to read multiple books worth of lore.

Also, we're not very kind to the guild stuff (It's blander than you guys remember) in the next episode, so I hope the good will lasts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm going to try to work "Restrict my IP, sempai" into my lexicon. I just don't know how exactly.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Whichever woff guy wrote the latest backer blog: I vote we legitimise your typo and refer to canon as cannon from now on. It's more martial and makes about as much sense.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

Is this thread some kind of government experiment to produce the most wrong opinions?
That's absurd, why would you even sugg-

TetsuoTW posted:

Zelda 2 ruled.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Osmosisch posted:

Whichever woff guy wrote the latest backer blog: I vote we legitimise your typo and refer to canon as cannon from now on. It's more martial and makes about as much sense.

That's me. Only if we can legitimize your typo (smiling emoticon). :skeltal:

Oh, and I like Zelda 2.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

Oh, and I like Zelda 2.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Zelda 2 is a Cool and Fun Video Game. :cool:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Donkey Kong Country is a better game than Yoshi's Island.

Edit: Well, the music anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
To be fair, finding a game with a better soundtrack than Donkey Kong Country is a tall loving order. It's got one of the overall best in all of gaming as well as one of the best final boss themes ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XziA0L2zmBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJT-EJ4E7sc

edit: that's not to say Yoshi's Island's soundtrack is any slouch, though. Even the regular soundtrack aside, which is overall phenomenal, you've got another absolutely insane final boss theme. If I had to pick one video game music track to have a full orchestra play it, it'd probably be this, just to see how it'd sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Ose7A8P94

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 14, 2014

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Beard Yawn posted:

gently caress yes it is. That is official thread consensus now.

God, it depresses me that most of the Zelda series doesn't have the sense of experimentation the first three games did.

edit: Oh, I guess LttP came before Link's Awakening. Okay, well, Z1/2/LA then, not the first three

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Randallteal posted:

Donkey Kong Country 2 is a better game than Yoshi's Island.

Edit: Well, the music anyway.

Fixed that for you. DKC is really bland. DKC2 is 16-bit platforming perfection.

It's like comparing SMB to SMB3, they did so much to improve the formula beyond running right with the occasional water stage.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

gently caress yes it is. That is official thread consensus now.

God, it depresses me that most of the Zelda series doesn't have the sense of experimentation the first three games did.

edit: Oh, I guess LttP came before Link's Awakening. Okay, well, Z1/2/LA then, not the first three

Er, I don't know how Link's Awakening is somehow more experimental than ALttP. It literally started out as a port of Zelda 3 before they decided to make it a new story and the only new gameplay feature is the roc's feather.

LA is remembered more for its bizarre setting than actual gameplay which is just ALttP with two buttons.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 14, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

edit: Oh, I guess LttP came before Link's Awakening.

This is blowing my mind

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Beard Yawn posted:

It is, but that doesn't preclude it being bad.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Step it up people. I thought Spirit Tracks was a good game and is one of my favorite Zeldas of recent memories.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I started replaying Spirit Tracks and while the dungeons are awesome and the Zelda mechanic is a nice change of pace, the overworld is horrible. You're limited to tracks, that you can only go so fast on, that have multiple enemies that can cause you to restart your trip. It's nothing like any of the previous games (maybe a little like Zelda 2 in the fact that the overworld and action are in different styles) and it takes a lot of the Zelda feel away from the game.

But it's got cool boss fights and stuff.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Haha. When Jake described Star Wars Episode 1 as the thing that made him stop being so blindly enthusiastic about new entries in beloved franchises, I thought "Oh man. I remember when Zelda 2 did that exact thing for me."

I also remember thinking that it super-weirdly ripped off the Rambo NES game in a bunch of minor presentational ways, and then later learning that Zelda 2 came out first in Japan, and then feeling dumb, because it's like how Warhammer totally ripped off Blizzard.

I don't think Zelda 2 is necessarily a bad game, I just don't think it's a very good Zelda game. I guess it depends on which parts of the Zelda experience you consider to be the core.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Link Between Worlds is the best modern Zelda game and that's largely because it apes the best Zelda game and doesn't hold your hand at all. The first thirty minutes are "You're Link, some rear end in a top hat kidnapped Zelda, go find some crystals and poo poo." *releases leash, cranks up awesome music*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVpr7ZBHa8

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

A Link Between Worlds is the best modern Zelda game and that's largely because it apes the best Zelda game and doesn't hold your hand at all. The first thirty minutes are "You're Link, some rear end in a top hat kidnapped Zelda, go find some crystals and poo poo." *releases leash, cranks up awesome music*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVpr7ZBHa8

To be fair you don't get that Overworld theme until you get the Master Sword, and yes it does rule.

The very first Overworld theme is still my favorite from that game, though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

al-azad posted:

Er, I don't know how Link's Awakening is somehow more experimental than ALttP. It literally started out as a port of Zelda 3 before they decided to make it a new story and the only new gameplay feature is the roc's feather.

And the item combos, and the side-scrolling bits, but alright, I see your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

As someone who has largely fallen out of love with the Zelda series due to it being so averse to change, I also wish Zelda kept an experimental spirit.

Also, man, all this love for DKC...

• Locked thread