Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kinmik posted:

I'm like 80% through Rogue and I really really like it. My only complaint I can think of is that I agree with some other posters that the voice acting is abysmal. I came straight from playing through Black Flag and in comparison to Edward saying the exact same lines, Shay's voice is really flat and emotionless. I absolutely hate Gist. My husband says he sounds like Alan Thicke.

Gist is weird because he's ALWAYS SHOUTING ABOUT EVERYTHING. Rogue does have a similar problem with Black Flag's story in that it takes you forever to actually become a Templar. Especially when Shay spends like two solid years hanging around all his new Templar buddies doing missions for them.

Its also weird in some of the legacy stuff from other games, like did you know that Shay has a house in New York City that you can enter where he keeps all his stuff? Its just super pointless because he's never there and has no reason to ever go inside since everything you can do in there can be done almost anywhere else in the game world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I actually got around to playing Watch_Dogs (got it free with Tropico 5) and lol at anyone who continues to buy Ubisoft games. If your game crashes and you lose your progress or feel cheated, good.

do you have literally anything useful to say

like ever

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I struggle with people's critique of Connor's voice actor in AC3, because I know Natives speak with different tone and cadence. Ezio's and Altair's speech lends more easily to eurocentric action/drama, so in contrast, Connor's voice sounds flat, which can make the character seem flat, reinforcing the Forrest Gump analogy.

Connor kind of sounded like a guy who didn't know English that well and was speaking it in that very measured, careful way that doesn't allow for a whole lot of emotion because he doesn't know exactly what the gently caress he's even saying.

Kind of the impression I got, anyway. Would explain why he constantly speaks as though he's confused by everything.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

do you have literally anything useful to say

like ever

Always because I'm the best :cool:

Example: don't be like this doofus and preorder a ubisoft game

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.
I just got done playing Unity and I actually really enjoyed it. The climbing controls seemed to really be improved, and the combat was a lot more difficult than the previous games. I was ok with missing out on the naval missions, AC 4 was packed full of them and I hear Rogue is too. I kind of liked just getting back to the normal AC gameplay. I do wish there was some more of the meta game going on (besides all the stupid companion app and chest poo poo), because as out there as it was at times, I liked the little puzzles that came with it. I still haven't tired of the series, because I think the bulk of my enjoyment is just how well they recreate these historical environments. As long as they keep doing that, I'll probably keep playing them.

Also, I had maybe just 1 or 2 bugs the whole game. I waited about 2 weeks after it came out to start playing, which I think is usually the prudent thing to do.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
^^ This guy knows what's up. Been playing since day 1, and the poor framerates were pretty bothersome but the game itself has always been really fun. Story's a little weak but who even loving cares, videogames, story, pick one. Now that the AMD drivers made the game very smooth, the game has gone from 'annoying to play but still fun' to 'loving excellent'.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Example: don't be like this doofus and preorder a ubisoft game

Plus, I'm getting Far Cry 4 for free.

What a total waste of money, all that fun I've had with this game has not been real fun at all, silly me!

edit: Plus, I think Ubisoft has done a hell of a job of making it up to the playerbase for this whole mess, especially to those who had preordered. A free, brand new, sixty dollar game for a $30 pass is a huge offering that I hadn't seen before, and free $20 DLC to everyone who purchased the game is Ubisoft pretty much setting a match to a ton of money. I'm sure it's less about good will and more about wanting to win back some loyalty so they can actually sell future games, but I think the way that Ubisoft has handled this whole thing (they'll have pretty much completely fixed the game in a little over a month, which is lightning speed all things considered) plus all the free stuff is a pretty class act.

It actually reminds me of how Square Enix handled the fiasco that was FFXIV. Ubisoft has been and still remains one of my favorite game developers.

I'll probably also be preordering AC Victory, and I will think of you when I do it. :shepspends:

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 13, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I do wish they made long weapons viable. I get worked compared to one handed / pistol combo

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Applied to Goon_Ass as Ragingsheep

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Daily Forecast posted:

^^ This guy knows what's up. Been playing since day 1, and the poor framerates were pretty bothersome but the game itself has always been really fun. Story's a little weak but who even loving cares, videogames, story, pick one. Now that the AMD drivers made the game very smooth, the game has gone from 'annoying to play but still fun' to 'loving excellent'.

What a total waste of money, all that fun I've had with this game has not been real fun at all, silly me!

edit: Plus, I think Ubisoft has done a hell of a job of making it up to the playerbase for this whole mess, especially to those who had preordered. A free, brand new, sixty dollar game for a $30 pass is a huge offering that I hadn't seen before, and free $20 DLC to everyone who purchased the game is Ubisoft pretty much setting a match to a ton of money. I'm sure it's less about good will and more about wanting to win back some loyalty so they can actually sell future games, but I think the way that Ubisoft has handled this whole thing (they'll have pretty much completely fixed the game in a little over a month, which is lightning speed all things considered) plus all the free stuff is a pretty class act.

It actually reminds me of how Square Enix handled the fiasco that was FFXIV. Ubisoft has been and still remains one of my favorite game developers.

I'll probably also be preordering AC Victory, and I will think of you when I do it. :shepspends:

Wait, the Dead Kings DLC is free now?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Is there somewhere where I can read a decent synopsis of the Unity/Season Pass debacle?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is there somewhere where I can read a decent synopsis of the Unity/Season Pass debacle?

Unity was panned for all its issues with bugs, performance, Uplay, etc.
As an apology, Ubisoft is giving away the Dead Kings DLC for free.
The side-scrolling spin-off game, China, won't be free.
The season pass is no longer for sale - it would have entitled you to Dead Kings and China (and maybe some pre-order trinkets)
If you already bought the season pass you still get all the DLC, plus another Ubisoft game from the list:

Far Cry 4
The Crew
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Rayman Legends
Just Dance 2015

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

muscles like this? posted:

Rogue does have a similar problem with Black Flag's story in that it takes you forever to actually become a Templar.

Its weird hearing anyone critique Rogue for taking forever at anything considering the main story is so drat short.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Lololoololol. Seek help.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

IF you wrote a page an hour you would be decently far into starting a novel that would allow you to quit your miserable job

Congrats on spending it in a mediocre, glitchy cash grab though

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

IF you wrote a page an hour you would be decently far into starting a novel that would allow you to quit your miserable job

Congrats on spending it in a mediocre, glitchy cash grab though

That's a stupid point to make because you could say that about literally anything you ever do. Where's your best selling novel, then? Are you typing this from the mansion that you bought with all of your book writing royalties? :allears:

Plus, if you think that one novel could let you quit your day job then you really don't know how that whole process works, do you.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Just what I want from ubisoft, more lovely ubisoft titles.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope the next iteration has the competitive multiplayer component with all the interesting modes from Brotherhood. There is zero reason to not include it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yes. The new coop is not exactly terrible but I can't imagine playing each scenario more than a few times, while I'm still playing Revelations multi on occasion.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Deal alert: AC Unity is currently going for PS4 and XB1 on Amazon (US) for $40.

This is the lowest I've seen it going for anywhere thus far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished Rogue, kind of scummy that the end of the game is just an ad for Unity.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I rather like Shay, but he largely exists as narrative spackle for other parts of the AC universe. He's constantly getting upstaged by other characters from other titles in the series.

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!
I pre-ordered this game and played it briefly when it came out. I figured I'd give them some time to do some patching and fix some of the bugs, so I put it on the back burner. One thing that they haven't seemed to fix yet is the list of members in the goon club... There are 47 members and they all have the same name as me, that's strange. Does anyone actually play this in multiplayer? Pubbies are terrible and they either just rush in or immediately leave the game session.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

macnbc posted:

Deal alert: AC Unity is currently going for PS4 and XB1 on Amazon (US) for $40.

This is the lowest I've seen it going for anywhere thus far.

Free is too expensive if the quality of Watch_Dogs is anything to go by.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

KittySpinEcho posted:

I pre-ordered this game and played it briefly when it came out. I figured I'd give them some time to do some patching and fix some of the bugs, so I put it on the back burner. One thing that they haven't seemed to fix yet is the list of members in the goon club... There are 47 members and they all have the same name as me, that's strange. Does anyone actually play this in multiplayer? Pubbies are terrible and they either just rush in or immediately leave the game session.

There are minimal drawback to rushing in other than if you're planning on grabbing the synch points; which you can casually do while others run in and rush things if you really want.

In fact, with 4 people rushing in, it becomes ridiculously easy as you mow down armies of enemies who's only real defence is the ability to counter anything from in front of them.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Free is too expensive if the quality of Watch_Dogs is anything to go by.

While I recognize you're trolling the thread with your constant shitposting, I really don't get all the Watch Dogs hate. I held off on playing it for awhile because of it, but I picked it up on sale used for $13 in October. I was surprised to find it was actually pretty fun.

Is it GOTY material? No. Would I have paid full price for it? No. But I got my money's worth out of it at least.

It reminded me of AC1 a lot in that it had a lot of cool concepts and ideas but didn't really exploit them enough. The GTA ripoff driving quests were repetitive and dull but the hacking stuff was entertaining.
Overall I felt it got too much flak thrown at it and I'm looking forward to seeing if Ubisoft can pull off an AC2 with a sequel.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

macnbc posted:

While I recognize you're trolling the thread with your constant shitposting, I really don't get all the Watch Dogs hate. I held off on playing it for awhile because of it, but I picked it up on sale used for $13 in October. I was surprised to find it was actually pretty fun.

Is it GOTY material? No. Would I have paid full price for it? No. But I got my money's worth out of it at least.

It reminded me of AC1 a lot in that it had a lot of cool concepts and ideas but didn't really exploit them enough. The GTA ripoff driving quests were repetitive and dull but the hacking stuff was entertaining.
Overall I felt it got too much flak thrown at it and I'm looking forward to seeing if Ubisoft can pull off an AC2 with a sequel.

watch_dogs had some narrative blunders such as audio indicating that they know who the vigilante is even at the start of the game, which is baffling when the plot point of you being outed happens and ultimately would have been a lot more interesting if they penalized you more for killing civilians but I really liked it. I realize that makes me an odd bird, but so be it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Urgh, Unity just has too much poo poo in it. Like, far too many collectibles for it to even be enjoyable anymore.

I've finished the single player campaign with it's [spoiler]let's make the whole plot pointless[spoiler] ending and i've collected everything in the northern half of the map and have done most of the co-op missions.

The rift missions are pretty shite so i'm mostly just in it now to level up that initiates thing and finish the co-op missions.

I've decided the combat is completely untested and lovely because you constantly get locked into "finishers" that leave you open for enemy attacks. The enemies can stunlock you to death in open combat towards the end of the game and will be un-attackable unless you can pull off the knockdown move which you can't do if they're stunlocking you.

It's a pretty game, but gently caress me it really needed a room full of people to test and feedback on this poo poo instead of relying on their "rate this mission" public play-testing system.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Watch dogs is awful. The story is boring as hell and the game freezes every 2 seconds because ubisoft DEVs don't understand streaming. The graphics are early 360 quality and every character is unlikable. The controls are unintuitive on both controller and mouse and keyboard.

The only positive thing I can say about it is the multiplayer is fun in short bursts.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Watch dogs is awful. The story is boring as hell and the game freezes every 2 seconds because ubisoft DEVs don't understand streaming. The graphics are early 360 quality and every character is unlikable. The controls are unintuitive on both controller and mouse and keyboard.

The only positive thing I can say about it is the multiplayer is fun in short bursts.

I played it on PS4 and it never crashed once. I also don't remember having any control problems... But yes, I'll agree that pretty much every character is an unlikable rear end, and that goes double for the protagonist.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Are you illiterate? I never said it crashed.

The only reason why you prolly enjoyed it is because you got to press the "hack" button a lot which, while providing no meaningful gameplay mechanics, triggered the dopamine in your retarded brain.

It's a bad game from a bad company. I got it for free and I was ripped off.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 14, 2014

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kin posted:

Urgh, Unity just has too much poo poo in it. Like, far too many collectibles for it to even be enjoyable anymore.

I'm not sure if I understand the complaint of 'this game has too much to do, I hate getting my money's worth'. I love all the collectibles. I really like getting the cockades because a lot of them can be tricky to get, and parkouring in this game is like pretty much the entire point of Assassin's Creed.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Are you illiterate? I never said it crashed.

The only reason why you prolly enjoyed it is because you got to press the "hack" button a lot which, while providing no meaningful gameplay mechanics, triggered the dopamine in your retarded brain.

It's a bad game from a bad company. I got it for free and I was ripped off.

Hey, I see you've made the mistake of thinking that this thread is in GBS! Don't worry, it's an easy mistake to make, but if you go to the top of the thread you can eventually navigate your way there and never come back.

Alternatively, 4chan is a great place for people like you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cutedge posted:

watch_dogs had some narrative blunders such as audio indicating that they know who the vigilante is even at the start of the game, which is baffling when the plot point of you being outed happens and ultimately would have been a lot more interesting if they penalized you more for killing civilians but I really liked it. I realize that makes me an odd bird, but so be it.

I think one of the biggest mistakes the game made was giving you almost all of the hacking abilities from the very start of the game. It doesn't make sense storywise and it kills all sense of advancement when the upgrades are so minor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Resumed my playthrough of Black Flag after going through AC2 -> AC3 and it's truly incredible how well made it is, it's a pleasure just to sail around and dig up treasures or grab animus fragments.

They really just culled the worst parts of AC3, made the best parts even better, slapped on an amazing protag, and told you to go sailing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rogue is on sale on PSN as a part of 12 Deals of Christmas event.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Palpek posted:

Rogue is on sale on PSN as a part of 12 Deals of Christmas event.

What region? When I look it up on the US store it shows as $60 still.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

I'm not sure if I understand the complaint of 'this game has too much to do, I hate getting my money's worth'.

A game being excessively padded with a bajillion useless collectables that are sometimes awkward and irritating to get (how the gently caress do i get into this building x 50) is no where near "getting my money's worth".

Then there's the companion chests, the initiate's chests, the god damned shields, getting all of the synch points in order to get all of your abilities, collecting the intel in the gift missions, those cockades, the secret armor, all the weapons/gear and so on. You have to be a special kind of stupid if you want to actually get 100% in this game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

macnbc posted:

What region? When I look it up on the US store it shows as $60 still.
I'm in Germany but did you enter the event page or only went into the store? Also it translates into ~$40 on sale.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 14, 2014

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

im pooping! posted:

I was checking the voice cast for AC3 and check out the lady who did Connor's mom:

She's actually Native American, her name is Kaniehtiio(same as in the game), and she's probably the most attractive woman I've ever seen.

I'm a little late to this but whatever, according to Mohawk tradition, every name is sacred, and you can't have someone else's name, because it's that person's name forever from that point on, even after death. When Ubisoft learned this, they changed all the names of the native american characters in the game to the names of the Mohawk people they got to voice act, and then Conner's name is trademarked, because of course, but not his native name (which I can't remember off the top of my head), since Ubisoft felt they couldn't own something that sacred.

tl;dr: Ubisoft is poo poo on occasion but the way they acted towards native people in AC3 was pretty alright (except the DLC but I like to forget that exists since it makes me so mad).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Also, I just shot a jaguar with a sleeping dart and then skinned it.
I feel dirty. :ohdear:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kin posted:

Then there's the companion chests, the initiate's chests,

Yeah, nobody likes those, that poo poo is retarded. I really hope that literally every review panning the online 'features' teaches Ubisoft a lesson about the whole thing.

But I dunno, I liked collecting cockades (got 100 and stopped, for the color scheme) because like I said, parkouring around is one of the reasons I even play these games.

edit: also, just because they're there, doesn't mean you have to get them all. Just get the ones you feel like getting? It's not like most of them even do anything. Do the shields even do anything?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

JetGrind posted:

I'm a little late to this but whatever, according to Mohawk tradition, every name is sacred, and you can't have someone else's name, because it's that person's name forever from that point on, even after death. When Ubisoft learned this, they changed all the names of the native american characters in the game to the names of the Mohawk people they got to voice act, and then Conner's name is trademarked, because of course, but not his native name (which I can't remember off the top of my head), since Ubisoft felt they couldn't own something that sacred.

tl;dr: Ubisoft is poo poo on occasion but the way they acted towards native people in AC3 was pretty alright (except the DLC but I like to forget that exists since it makes me so mad).
Nope, the dude's Mohawk name who voiced Connor is Bulaagawish, Connor's name is Ratonhnhaké:ton

• Locked thread