Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I use http://rfgeneration.com/ to track my stuff. It's not perfect, but it's generally good enough. It's also super useful to keep myself from buying the same thing multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Light Gun Man posted:

No where near as amazing without the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oka1XfJuSc8

This should be embedded in FYAD, BYOB or the Hellthread in GBS.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
:sigh:

I'm going to be really sad with myself once I finally get games and controllers I feel with this purchase. At least it wasn't expensive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

I'm going to be really sad with myself once I finally get games and controllers I feel with this purchase. At least it wasn't expensive.

You'll love dealing with controllers that repeatedly fall out of their ports!!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

flyboi posted:

Ugh. I just got off ebay too and there's so much that I want. Resisting the urge because Christmas is around the corner and I have gifts to buy. Also, secretly hoping that I don't win an auction I bid on.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Has anyone played with the GB Everdrive?
Is it worth getting?

I have a few carts but I'm lazy as gently caress so I end up leaving the house with Dr. Mario all the time.
I can't remember the last time I checked my pokemans.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Is it worth getting?

I have a few carts but I'm lazy as gently caress so I end up leaving the house with Dr. Mario all the time.

I've been looking at one too. Someone in SA Mart is selling some Everdrive stuff and I think there's one GB left. Buy it so I don't!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Is it worth getting?

It works great, if you have a list of gameboy games you want to play it's worth it. I think the only major compatibility issues is lack of RTC for Pokeymans Silver and not having 256k save support for that music mixing app that hipster musicians use.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Very quick question... I have a small amount of nostalgia to drag out my gamecube and replay some of my favourites... Paper Mario 2, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess etc.

Now, I have a PAL Gamecube that does have the Digital AV Out port.

My question is in a couple of parts:

A: Is my only option a genuine component cable for getting the best possible output out of the original hardware? Are there acceptable knock-off cables?
B: Should I just buy a Wii second hand and use it with a gamecube controller and rely on it's component output?
C: Should I just get a Gamecube -> USB PC adapter and player via Dolphin? My PC is beefy enough I'm sure.

Thanks!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BurgerQuest posted:

Very quick question... I have a small amount of nostalgia to drag out my gamecube and replay some of my favourites... Paper Mario 2, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess etc.

A: Is my only option a genuine component cable for getting the best possible output out of the original hardware? Are there acceptable knock-off cables?

Nintendo went all proprietary with the component output of the Gamecube; it has some special circuitry and some sort of necessary chip in the cable that hasn't been replicated by any third party company. I think someone made some progress recently at cracking it, but I forget.

Since you have a PAL Gamecube, you still have RGB output. If you have a TV that uses SCART inputs (which were common in the past in PAL territories, but I don't know about today), you could possibly get a GC SCART cable and run raw RGB (which should look nice) on your TV. Depends on your display, though.

BurgerQuest posted:

B: Should I just buy a Wii second hand and use it with a gamecube controller and rely on it's component output?

This could be an option; at least, it would be no worse than having to pay $$$ for a GC component cable, price-wise, so far as I'm aware.

BurgerQuest posted:

C: Should I just get a Gamecube -> USB PC adapter and player via Dolphin? My PC is beefy enough I'm sure.

Thanks!

I wanted to say this would be the easiest solution, but apparently you can't just read Gamecube discs with a standard PC drive; it appears you have to go through a bunch of software nonsense to rip them to a disc image and use that with Dolphin. As is par for the course with proprietary software and hardware protections and draconian DRM schemes, it seems, the people who :filez: don't have to bother with that, but the people with actual legit copies get shafted and have to go through extra trouble. Way to go, Nintendo :rolleyes:.

So you could do it, but it'd take some work to make happen.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I wanted to say this would be the easiest solution, but apparently you can't just read Gamecube discs with a standard PC drive; it appears you have to go through a bunch of software nonsense to rip them to a disc image and use that with Dolphin.
If you have a leftover Wii sitting around somewhere, you can use a homebrew app on that to dump Gamecube ISOs to a USB drive. That's how I got my Dolphin library.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Kins posted:

If you have a leftover Wii sitting around somewhere, you can use a homebrew app on that to dump Gamecube ISOs to a USB drive. That's how I got my Dolphin library.

Yeah, I caught mention of that when I was doing my quick research on reading GC discs on a PC. I just didn't delve into it too deeply because it seemed like extra work for what BurgerQuest wants to know. Plus, since it involves a Wii, it kind of makes solution 2 the simplest for them, unless they want to mess around with the upgraded visual options of Dolphin and all that for GC games.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Appreciate the response.

My TV doesn't have SCART input (wasn't a standard in Aus, just RCA/Component).

Wii's barely go for more than $20 second hand around here, which is far less than a component cable. If I go the Dolphin path, is there any reason an Xb360 controller wouldn't work well enough for most purposes?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Wamdoodle posted:

Ugh. I just got off ebay too and there's so much that I want. Resisting the urge because Christmas is around the corner and I have gifts to buy. Also, secretly hoping that I don't win an auction I bid on.

Don't use eBay before the holidays, dumbo.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BurgerQuest posted:

Bogus!

I guess it makes sense, though, since SCART was a French standard that never really became common outside of the UK, continental Europe, and various Third World countries that took in whatever electronics they could get their hands on.

Though, on that note, it occurs to me that one option you could look at is getting a SCART-to-YUV (i.e. component video) transcoder and a PAL-format Gamecube/SNES SCART cable. It'd take the raw RGB from your PAL Gamecube and convert it to a component video format. You could also use it for the same purpose with other RGB-capable consoles (like the SNES and Sega Genesis/Megadrive) you might have.

It could be about as pricey as a Gamecube component cable, but more versatile. Caveats would be not being able to find the gear in Australia through an online auction site like Ebay and having to pay for shipping from overseas.

BurgerQuest posted:

Wii's barely go for more than $20 second hand around here, which is far less than a component cable. If I go the Dolphin path, is there any reason an Xb360 controller wouldn't work well enough for most purposes?

An Xbox 360 controller should work well enough for Dolphin; enough buttons, sticks, and a D-pad to replicate the GC controller's functions.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

BurgerQuest posted:

Thanks!

One thing to bear in mind is that PAL games don't natively support 480p so you would need to get something like the QOOB modchip which is now expensive and hard to find. I would recommend going down the wii route, you can mod it to run Nintendont which allows you to run GCN games from a USB drive and force them into 480p with superb compatibility.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Chainclaw posted:

Renter's insurance. Also many of the apartment complexes in the area won't let you rent unless you have insurance, too.

Thanks. I'll definitely start looking into getting this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BurgerQuest posted:

Appreciate the response.

Ya might have more fun getting an adapter to use Wii and Gamecube controllers over usb, since Dolphin also runs Wii games great.

A 360 controller will definitely handle GameCube and Wii Classic Controller games great though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BurgerQuest posted:

Appreciate the response.

Big important thing if you're going after a second-hand Wii; Make sure the "Wii" logo on it is aligned vertically, not horizontally (ie; you'd need it standing on the narrow side). The horizontal ones are a later revision with the gamecube ports removed.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

flyboi posted:

Congrats on your terrible purchase with 0 good games. I did the same years ago and I assure you anything over nothing is too expensive.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Congrats on your terrible purchase with 0 good games. I did the same years ago and I assure you anything over nothing is too expensive.

I wouldn't say 0 good games. Tempest 2000 is supposed to be good, but haven't played it myself to verify that. Alien vs Predator is pretty fun and Cannon Fodder is also a pretty good game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Hey they released Another World/Out of this World last year so there's at least one good Jaguar game. :v:

midwest ink posted:

I wouldn't say 0 good games. Tempest 2000 is supposed to be good, but haven't played it myself to verify that. Alien vs Predator is pretty fun and Cannon Fodder is also a pretty good game.

For Tempest 2000 and Cannon Fodder I'd definitely recommend computer versions before the Jaguar. Cannon Fodder in particular uses a mouse interface. We can argue about whether the Amiga or the PC version is better, though.

Getting curious about other Jaguar ports and trying to remember if there was anything I'd unhesitatingly recommend. I remember Myst for Jaguar CD existing, but again mouse interfaces with console games are bad (well, other than Mario Paint and Mario and Wario). I almost got excited seeing i-War on the list, but then I found that it was a boring generic shooter and not a port of the really interesting and complicated space shooter.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 14, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

A 360 controller will definitely handle GameCube and Wii Classic Controller games great though.

This sounds miserable

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I feel dirty but I needed extra HDMI ports so I plugged in a Xbone into my Framemeister. It was either that or plug something into the bone and experience latency out the rear end.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

d0s posted:

This sounds miserable

You'd think so but once you get used to it, it's not half bad.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Teens play Mega Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njzAyjAFCMI

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
Maybe it's a testament of the design of the levels, but most of those teens figure out how the game works without much problem. Specially the guy in red, which has the same reactions I had when I played Megaman 5 for the first time a few years ago :3:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just completed my first play-through of Suikoden. I missed getting all 108 stars by 1 person, and apparently Pahn died and I didn't know it. Meh, it was a fun game either way. Kind of on the short side for an RPG, and the difficulty was almost on the same level as Dragon Quest games. I've only played 8 and 9, and both were fairly easy to me. I would love to find a copy of Dragon Warrior VII, but http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2843. That's a long rear end game.

Speaking of the Dragon Quest/Warrior series, does anyone know the history of when/why the series made the title jump from"Warrior" to "Quest"? I know the series was called one thing in Japan and the other in America for awhile.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Speaking of the Dragon Quest/Warrior series, does anyone know the history of when/why the series made the title jump from"Warrior" to "Quest"? I know the series was called one thing in Japan and the other in America for awhile.

It's always been Dragon Quest in Japan (abbreviated to "Dora Kue"). It started as Dragon Warrior in North America and got all the way up to "Dragon Warrior VII" on PS1, and then "VIII" on PS2 was "Dragon Quest VIII." I'd say it probably had something to do with Enix starting to release things in Europe, the timing seems pretty much spot-on.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

univbee posted:

It's always been Dragon Quest in Japan (abbreviated to "Dora Kue"). It started as Dragon Warrior in North America and got all the way up to "Dragon Warrior VII" on PS1, and then "VIII" on PS2 was "Dragon Quest VIII." I'd say it probably had something to do with Enix starting to release things in Europe, the timing seems pretty much spot-on.

Looks like the series made it up to Dragon Warrior IV over here (NES titles), and I guess a couple years later IV through VI were released on the DS as "Quest" games. I understand that the series is more popular in Japan than it is in America, and saw more releases and better sales over there. Did they just skip V and VI and go straight to VII on the PS1?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

There's a generic D&D rip off by the name of DragonQuest that was published in the US in 1980. It didn't get a lot of traction (I've never seen a copy and I've bumped into some really odd RPG's from the 1980's) but the trademark was still held when Enix wanted to publish their games in the US so the video game had to to change their name to Dragon Warrior.

Oddly enough, the pen and paper RPG DragonQuest had to change their name from Dragonslayer to avoid a trademark problem with the movie. And the company that held the trademark when Enix came along was TSR who bought DragonQuest's company when they went bankrupt.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yo. I'm looking into importing a few Nintendo 64 games, so I will need to get an import adapter at some point. A bit of confusion here is that I can see three named Passport: the original one(?) only named Passport, a Passport Plus, and the one Playasia has right now called Passport III. Google-fu hasn't helped me find any differences between them other than I think Plus has gameshark code support. Anyone familiar which version is the best to get?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Looks like the series made it up to Dragon Warrior IV over here (NES titles), and I guess a couple years later IV through VI were released on the DS as "Quest" games. I understand that the series is more popular in Japan than it is in America, and saw more releases and better sales over there. Did they just skip V and VI and go straight to VII on the PS1?

As far as mainline goes this is roughly how the releases happened, I think (might have the order or certain specifics wrong):

English, North America only
Dragon Warrior 1-4 on the NES, in order. Only 1 got serious traction, 2 I think did OK though. 3 and 4 were quite rare.
Dragon Warrior 1&2 for Game Boy hybrid (2-games-in-1 black cartridge works in GBmono and Game Boy Color and I think Super Game Boy as well)
Dragon Warrior 3 for Game Boy Color (clear see-through cartridge)
Dragon Warrior 7 for PS1 (2 discs)

EFIGS, North America and Europe
Dragon Quest 8 for PS2
Dragon Quest 4, 5 and 6 for DS
Dragon Quest 9 for DS.

EDIT also, I'd like to point out that, due to the weirdness of the first European Dragon Quest being the 8th one, they dropped the roman numeral entirely.

8 is "Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King", 4 is "Dragon Quest: Chapters of the Chosen", and 5 is "Dragon Quest: Hand of the Heavenly Bride" (6 and 9 get the numbers back). They are also an anomaly in that the subtitle in the name of every game is actually localized in FIGS as well, so if you're tracking down a European copy of those games for whatever reason it's worth keeping in mind.

univbee fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 14, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

d0s posted:

This sounds miserable

Sticks are in the same place, d-pad in the same place, you're free to map any of the central buttons to start, and map either bumper to Z plus of course the triggers to triggers. Having a normal action button layout doesn't change much.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sticks are in the same place, d-pad in the same place, you're free to map any of the central buttons to start, and map either bumper to Z plus of course the triggers to triggers. Having a normal action button layout doesn't change much.

The sticks are just garbage compared to the cube sticks, and the triggers aren't clicky and ugh

furthermore,

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

flyboi posted:

It works great, if you have a list of gameboy games you want to play it's worth it. I think the only major compatibility issues is lack of RTC for Pokeymans Silver and not having 256k save support for that music mixing app that hipster musicians use.

How does the game react to not having and RTC?
Not that it matters a whole lot since I'm still slowly playing through blue.

The sad part is that I had my emulator save transferred to my original cart, now I'm kinda boned if I want the everdrive lol.

e:

I see nothing wrong here.
:colbert:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I know there are many variables to it, but generally speaking, the model 2 Genesis is the best one, right?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

I know there are many variables to it, but generally speaking, the model 2 Genesis is the best one, right?
Check the OP before buying a retro system it has a really good guide for what to look for. I personally think model 1 with High Definition Graphics printed on it are the best working/looking. If you are looking for a model 2 you gotta be more careful:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

noirstronaut posted:

The Model 2 is the best if you want to assemble a reliably working Genesis + CD + 32X system, and don't want to shell out for a CDX + a 32X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Model 2 is the best if you want to assemble a reliably working Genesis + CD + 32X system, and don't want to shell out for a CDX + a 32X.

I got a question for the model 2 sega cd. I used to have one that broke. It left a stripped screw inside the bottom of my model 2 Genesis. Was that screw essential for the function/assembly of the Sega CD? Doesn't a flap come off the bottom of the genesis and a board slides into the Sega CD? Would that be enough to hold it together to play? I'm thinking of getting one again...and a 32X.

• Locked thread