Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Wow you guys hate cops so much that its taboo to talk about them doing good things in the community.

That's uh... Not healthy at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

No. That's not what I said at all. I said the media creates a perception of police corruption due to an imbalances reporting practice for a ratings grab. So people are going to start thinking you are corrupt. And when people think you are corrupt when you arent, it does not help corruption.

Or they could man up and be professionals like everyone else. Most people can do good things in the community without needing a media circus around it. Even people somewhat in the public eye.

A personality type with a need for validation from others is probably the wrong kind to be a cop.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

Wow you guys hate cops so much that its taboo to talk about them doing good things in the community.

Nobody claimed that, at all,

Cole posted:

you twat.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Panzeh posted:

Or they could man up and be professionals like everyone else. Most people can do good things in the community without needing a media circus around it. Even people somewhat in the public eye.

A personality type with a need for validation from others is probably the wrong kind to be a cop.

So public service jobs don't deserve any media recognition even though they are in the public and public perception of a public institution is kind of important.

So public service workers are off limits from any praise.

You're a loving rear end in a top hat.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Jack of Hearts posted:

Nobody claimed that, at all,

The thread said cops shouldn't be reported on positively because they are just doing their jobs.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

The thread said cops shouldn't be reported on positively because they are just doing their jobs.

There shouldn't be an assumption that they're entitled to public fanfare for doing their jobs, no. If a police officer happens to do something particularly courageous or kind or otherwise above and beyond the call of duty, literally no one would complain about them getting good press for it.

You're the one claiming they should be entitled to public adulation. Well, make a case.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The police are powerful whether we express our gratitude for them or not. Powerful people deserve constant scrutiny, not back-patting.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

So public service jobs don't deserve any media recognition even though they are in the public and public perception of a public institution is kind of important.

So public service workers are off limits from any praise.

You're a loving rear end in a top hat.

It's quite obvious that creating a public attitude of innate trust for the police will not clamp down on corruption.

As I said before, they get enough praise from their superiors and subordinates in normal life, and their family, too. If that's not enough then there's obviously a problem and it's not the media.

BREAKING STORY, OFFICER BOB GIVES HOMELESS MAN A $20. PRAISE BE TO THE COPS.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

And when people think you are corrupt when you arent, it does not help corruption.

Please explain how this works. Does a cop say "My god, it must be true, I AM a racist! Time to go apply racially biased standards for reasonable suspicion!"

Cole posted:

Cole posted:

You still don't understand the difference between "the media should not be obligated to report" and "the media should be prohibited from reporting"?

As much as I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, it seems like you're deliberately setting up strawmen. Please think about why you're doing this instead of engaging people's actual arguments.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 14, 2014

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You're missing the point. Cops (and prosecutors and politicians for that matter) that refuse to enforce laws against other cops are not "good cops".

Even if it's understandable why they would want to keep their heads down, it doesn't make it right.

Exactly, there's functionally no difference between the cop that cries himself to sleep every night for not intervening that time his partner beat a homeless guy and the cop who gets a huge rush every time he thinks about it. The homeless dude still got beat and nobody got in trouble for it at the end of the day.

Cole posted:

No. That's not what I said at all. I said the media creates a perception of police corruption due to an imbalances reporting practice for a ratings grab. So people are going to start thinking you are corrupt. And when people think you are corrupt when you arent, it does not help corruption.

That would be a problem if there wasn't widespread corruption in the police force. I think you really underestimate the depth of the problem.

Cole posted:

No, we just object to trying deflect attention away from the problems in the police force. It's a serious problem that needs to be talked about in the public space, once the problem isn't as ridiculously endemic as it is with we can cover the good things more often.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Cole posted:

First, you're being much more reasonable in your posting today, so thanks for trying to have more of a discussion for once.

Second, I can think of a story of police corruption of some sort reported in the last two years in at least half of the towns around me (north Chicago suburbs). These things are confirmed, where (light imo) punishments were handed out. I don't think this is the media portraying them as corrupt, as it's just the local papers reporting on what's been going on. Am I wrong to think this is a problem?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Sure he raped an underage prostitute but why isn't THE MEDIA reporting on that time he bought groceries for a white family? Tell me that, lieberals. :smug:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Also this whole thing is completely stupid and backwards because THE MEDIA routinely downplay police brutality and corruption, particularly the kind that depends on the police for continued reporting (local papers, etc.) and the reason for this is

wait for it

cops are such corrupt insecure whiny loving babies that they'll blackball anyone who points out their insanely lovely behavior and this includes reporters and prosecutors and even city mayors have been known to be thrown under the bus from time to time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Woozy posted:

cops are such corrupt insecure whiny loving babies that they'll blackball anyone who points out their insanely lovely behavior and this includes reporters and prosecutors and even city mayors have been known to be thrown under the bus from time to time.
"From time to time" like they're not pulling this poo poo with Bill de Blasio at this very second.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Cole posted:

When you say "The thread" is that including you too? Or is it just the people who don't agree with you?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I like all the apologists looking at pictures of dead black kids on the ground and then they pop up like, "yeah, but this one bought a lady eggs"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Except for the part where they repeatedly identified themselves as police before drawing.

It's so reassuring to know that they made sure every single person there knew that before drawing a gun an unarmed crowd and waving it around. It surely would have been a pity if someone hadn't been able to hear a single voice in a massive protest and simply saw a guy in street-clothes menacing a crowd with a gun. Clearly the cop should be held up as an example of best police practices, and not lambasted as a clear example of the failure of the entire concept of secret police. :allears:

Misogynist posted:

I like all the apologists looking at pictures of dead black kids on the ground and then they pop up like, "yeah, but this one bought a lady eggs"

The reality is that cops could shoot up streets daily and folks like Cole and Actus would still eat it up. Fox and the GOP use race-baiting and fear-mongering to control their constituents, and promoting cops as the sole line of defence against liberals is a key element of that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 14, 2014

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kaal posted:

It's so reassuring to know that they made sure every single person there knew that before drawing a gun an unarmed crowd and waving it around. It surely would have been a pity if someone hadn't been able to hear a single voice in a massive protest and simply saw a guy in street-clothes menacing a crowd with a gun. Clearly the cop should be held up as an example of best police practices, and not lambasted as a clear example of the failure of the entire concept of secret police. :allears:

In that specific case it sounds like he drew on the crowd only after his partner was assaulted and the crowd continued to ... well ... crowd in on them. So far this sounds like an appropriate use of force.

Given the current response to uniformed police, undercover deployment *seems* to be less of a provocation unless we find out that they were there to stir up trouble and discredit the protests.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bel Shazar posted:

In that specific case it sounds like he drew on the crowd only after his partner was assaulted and the crowd continued to ... well ... crowd in on them. So far this sounds like an appropriate use of force.

What he did was textbook menacing and if he weren't a cop he'd have already been punted through the justice system for it. You can't draw a gun and wave it around at people for being within 10 feet of you. Doing so in a crowd of people makes it an incitement to violence, as well as disturbing the peace; he could have easily started a riot with his actions. People get trampled in stampedes caused by far less provocation than a guy waving a gun around and threatening everyone around them. It was completely negligent behavior on his part, and he and his partner should never have allowed themselves to be in the position of trying to arrest a guy while in the middle of an angry crowd, with absolutely no identification, and using a gun to do it. They clearly should have withdrawn - indeed they should never have been pretending to be protesters in the first place.

quote:

Given the current response to uniformed police, undercover deployment *seems* to be less of a provocation unless we find out that they were there to stir up trouble and discredit the protests.

Given the current response to uniformed police, the correct action is to decrease police provocation not do it even more with secret police.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, y'all actually argued with Cole for 3 pages.

This campus cop is gonna get fired for not tazing a student:

http://www.montereyherald.com/general-news/20141204/csu-monterey-bay-officer-investigated-for-not-using-stun-gun

quote:

Marina >> A CSU Monterey Bay police officer was given a notice of termination this week for choosing not to use a stun gun on a student in need of medical treatment following a suicide attempt in February, the officer’s union said Thursday.

Although the union says the officer, who is a 20-year law enforcement veteran, was using “civilized methods to resolve a situation” with an injured and noncompliant suicidal victim, Marina police officers who assisted in the call say he “never engaged” in the “highly agitated situation.”

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Ahh never mind

quote:

Freelance reporter Courtney Harrop has Storified a series of eyewitness posts from protesters and journalists who witnessed the undercover agent’s activity, which reportedly included encouraging protesters to loot and commit other crimes, before the agents were outed

Yeah, gently caress those guys.

http://bearingarms.com/self-defense-oakland-undercover-cop-pulls-gun-protesters-attack/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Police infiltrate protests, political groups, and civil rights groups just to protect their members from each other. Remember the rapes in occupy? If only there had been more undercover cops. You'd have to be an entitled cop-hating cry baby to think the police ever have ulterior motives than protecting the rights of protesters from within.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Police infiltrate protests, political groups, and civil rights groups just to protect their members from each other. Remember the rapes in occupy? If only there had been more undercover cops. You'd have to be an entitled cop-hating cry baby to think the police ever have ulterior motives than protecting the rights of protesters from within.

Just in case you're not being sarcastic, enjoy:
http://vault.fbi.gov/cointel-pro/cointel-pro-black-extremists/cointelpro-black-extremists-part-01-of/view

Thousands more pages where that came from.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Things the FBI did in the sixties are totally relevant to the CHP in 2014.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Seeing how those CHP officers were caught trying to incite violence during a protest, it actually has some relevance yes.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well, yes, the structural problems and resulting insane tactics of a law enforcement agency are broadly illustrative.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You really think it would be a challenge to source a litany of similar tactics used by local, state, and federal law enforcement in the years since then? COINTELPRO is a convenient citation because it was long enough ago that the results of the investigation have been declassified and published, but it is by no means the only time that law enforcement has illegally undermined peaceful political activity.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FBI / CIA activities in the 1960s are directly related to actions today because the bastards who perpetrated those programs actually run the drat agencies now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You really think it would be a challenge to source a litany of similar tactics used by local, state, and federal law enforcement in the years since then? COINTELPRO is a convenient citation because it was long enough ago that the results of the investigation have been declassified and published, but it is by no means the only time that law enforcement has illegally undermined peaceful political activity.

And I'll even provide an example, so that the pedantic among us can move on: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/dec/29/fbi-coordinated-crackdown-occupy

quote:

It was more sophisticated than we had imagined: new documents show that the violent crackdown on Occupy last fall – so mystifying at the time – was not just coordinated at the level of the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security, and local police. The crackdown, which involved, as you may recall, violent arrests, group disruption, canister missiles to the skulls of protesters, people held in handcuffs so tight they were injured, people held in bondage till they were forced to wet or soil themselves –was coordinated with the big banks themselves.
The documents, released after long delay in the week between Christmas and New Year, show a nationwide meta-plot unfolding in city after city in an Orwellian world: six American universities are sites where campus police funneled information about students involved with OWS to the FBI, with the administrations' knowledge (p51); banks sat down with FBI officials to pool information about OWS protesters harvested by private security; plans to crush Occupy events, planned for a month down the road, were made by the FBI – and offered to the representatives of the same organizations that the protests would target; and even threats of the assassination of OWS leaders by sniper fire – by whom? Where? – now remain redacted and undisclosed to those American citizens in danger, contrary to standard FBI practice to inform the person concerned when there is a threat against a political leader (p61).
The documents show stunning range: in Denver, Colorado, that branch of the FBI and a "Bank Fraud Working Group" met in November 2011 – during the Occupy protests – to surveil the group. The Federal Reserve of Richmond, Virginia had its own private security surveilling Occupy Tampa and Tampa Veterans for Peace and passing privately-collected information on activists back to the Richmond FBI, which, in turn, categorized OWS activities under its "domestic terrorism" unit. The Anchorage, Alaska "terrorism task force" was watching Occupy Anchorage. The Jackson, Mississippi "joint terrorism task force" was issuing a "counterterrorism preparedness alert" about the ill-organized grandmas and college sophomores in Occupy there. Also in Jackson, Mississippi, the FBI and the "Bank Security Group" – multiple private banks – met to discuss the reaction to "National Bad Bank Sit-in Day" (the response was violent, as you may recall). The Virginia FBI sent that state's Occupy members' details to the Virginia terrorism fusion center. The Memphis FBI tracked OWS under its "joint terrorism task force" aegis, too. And so on, for over 100 pages.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Cole posted:

Do you guys hate black cops as much as white cops

Or is that a conflict of interest?

Nosfereefer posted:

Goddamn black loving D&D posters, am i right?

Ok, you didn't respond, but what the hell is this supposed to mean? Are you saying D&D likes black people too much? I don't see any way to interpret that and it reflects poorly on your soul.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nonsense posted:

FBI / CIA activities in the 1960s are directly related to actions today because the bastards who perpetrated those programs actually run the drat agencies now.
Anyone in charge of anything in the 60's would be what, like 90 years old now? Is the CHP run by a 90 year old?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Kaal posted:

The reality is that cops could shoot up streets daily and folks like Cole and Actus would still eat it up. Fox and the GOP use race-baiting and fear-mongering to control their constituents, and promoting cops as the sole line of defence against liberals is a key element of that.

Tell me more about what I think. :allears:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Anyone in charge of anything in the 60's would be what, like 90 years old now? Is the CHP run by a 90 year old?

The agents who did those things in the field from the 60s now run things.

Their task masters are worm food.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nonsense posted:

The agents who did those things in the field from the 60s now run things.

Their task masters are worm food.
Do you have any proof of this or is it just conspiracist garbage? Those agents would be at least in their 70s by now.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Anyone else going to the Pro-Cop rally on the 19th?

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/12/pro_nypd_rally_planned_for_dec.html

I think it would be nice to show some support for those who put their lives on the line.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

What the loving hell is wrong with the Cleveland police department?

Can you imagine being 14 years old, understandably hysterical as your little brother has just been shot, only to be handcuffed and thrown into a squad car along with him as he bled to death, receiving no aid from officers?

Can you imagine being the mother of both of these children, also understandably hysterical, being threatened with arrest if you didn't "calm down" sufficiently enough despite the fact that one of your children is dying right in front of you?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I love how every cop thread on these forums ends up with a few posters fighting like hell to talk about the good side of cops or otherwise "balance the discussion" by taking the focus off of people getting shot unarmed and beaten and the justice system blatantly ignoring it in almost every single case.

Cole posted:

You know like this!

Yeah that's what this nation needs. We need more reporting on what the good cops do. Otherwise we're not being fair and balanced. This needs to be a no spin zone. Yes, I came up with both of those ideas completely on my own with no outside help whatsoever.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Reminder that "cop buys groceries for someone" is a time honored staple of the slow news day. The notion that there's some media bias against cops is just the typical reactionary persecution complex at work. The most thorough investigative reporting gets when it comes to the police is digging up dirt on their latest victim.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I think it would be nice to show some support for those who put their lives on the line.
Black people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I haven't seen this posted here, an American history comedy podcast is doing an LAPD month, and there are hilarious levels of police corruption in it: http://thedollop.libsyn.com/40-lapd-2-the-james-davis-years

• Locked thread