Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

all the other bosses in the game are cool and fun. and the metroid prime games have fantastic boss fights and boss music.

underwater monster thing is trash though. oh hey the only time you can hurt him is when he shoots by at the speed of sound and also there are turrets constantly firing at you throughout the fight for no reason

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AHungryRobot posted:

the only item i'm able to get with screw attack and space jump is the first one in the acid gauntlet above the landing site, unless you can think of other options. that was a bust since it was just a reserve tank. need super missiles to get into the wrecked ship, brinstar is completely closed off without missiles, and i can't use the entrance by the morph ball area without powerbombs.

See my previous post. You can screw attack into the room below the old Mother Brain Chamber. It'll probably have missiles.

I'm beginning to think that the power bomb container just before you fight Ridley is always one of your beams. I keep getting ice beam and plasma beam there.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just found out after a decade of playing this game that you can murder the turrets on the walls

it was still a pain but i did it

he was guarding a reserve tank. motherbrain, i'm a comin'

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What's the best way to get rid of the divekick pirates in Lower Norfair? They always take me way too long.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

haven't even fought kraid yet

also ninja pirates should go down in just a couple of supers or charged plasma beam shots. you need to jump and shoot them in the back right after they go to kick you. and if you don't have supers or a decent beam yet then what the gently caress are you doing in lower norfair?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

What's the best way to get rid of the divekick pirates in Lower Norfair? They always take me way too long.

wait until they turn yellow and shoot super missiles at their back. i thought this was the only way?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also, im just not gonna beat it. no point to fighting motherbrain, ive killed the four bosses and have everything i need to finish. i beat the randomizer.

now im really eager to try that metroid prime randomizer but im wary of how buggy it might be. my memories of dolphin are that it's not the most stable emulation and a hack in alpha state might make that worse

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess I more mean how to get them to loving do it because they love to just gently caress around throwing their hands at me for ages instead of becoming shootable.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Either way, i'm not about to pay money to change it back, and i'm not going to be using this account for much longer.

:/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess maybe it doesn't matter that much because after 3 runs it's getting kinda samey. Once you break out of the starting area you generally have most everything you need to tear through the rest.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

also, im just not gonna beat it. no point to fighting motherbrain, ive killed the four bosses and have everything i need to finish. i beat the randomizer.

im not gonna beat it

i beat it

something is wrong here and you should remedy it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

im not gonna beat it

i beat it

something is wrong here and you should remedy it

i guess i just want to play metroid prime rando'd already. as dis astranagant said once you get over the "what the gently caress" hurdle at the start it's smooth and gets boring.

downloading prime now. i will update you guys with a trip report. when all the essential upgrades (missiles, ball, bombs) are still in the same place i cant imagine it being too broken

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

now im really eager to try that metroid prime randomizer but im wary of how buggy it might be. my memories of dolphin are that it's not the most stable emulation and a hack in alpha state might make that worse

I'm going to try the prime randomizer on wii u by dumping my original disc and the loading the edited ISO with nintendont so I can play a hacked version of Metroid prime with a wii u pro controller. I'll report back.

E: you're already going to report back...nvm.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I'm going to try the prime randomizer on wii u by dumping my original disc and the loading the edited ISO with nintendont so I can play a hacked version of Metroid prime with a wii u pro controller. I'll report back.

E: you're already going to report back...nvm.

no, what you're doing sounds way cooler

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it does, but my plan was foiled by the fact that you need a 2gb sd card or smaller to install all the stuff to get it working. I won't have the tools till next weekend sadly

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm also going to use nintendont to see if I can play paper mario and the thousand year door on a gamepad, which would be extemely ftw.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quote:

The randomizer is not guaranteed to be completable; there are currently no checks to ensure items are not placed in impossible-to-obtain locations (for example, Supers/Charge behind cordite).
i didn't think of something like this, but okay! here we go!

e: the randomizer lets you set which items get randomized and which dont. just to be safe im going to keep the morphball, bombs, missiles and charge beam in the same places.

ee: orrr not. the randomizer just crashes if i try to type anything in

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 14, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
whoops i got stuck after spore spawn

this thing owns, thanks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

checking the thread the prime randomizer was posted in doesnt yield any issues like this. the DOS prompt comes up, and if i press literally any button it just closes immediately with no error. the gently caress

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
not bad for a randomized run:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

dolphin has been making drastic improvements every month without fail. it's really impressive

pcsx2 has been sort of stagnant but dolphin keeps updating with like "Hey cool we did another 15% performance increase and increased accuracy doing it"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Bobnumerotres posted:

There's always the option of running it on a softmodded wii

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doctor Goat posted:

dolphin has been making drastic improvements every month without fail. it's really impressive

pcsx2 has been sort of stagnant but dolphin keeps updating with like "Hey cool we did another 15% performance increase and increased accuracy doing it"

PCSX2 development is bogged down by hosed up timing issues where any change fixes one game and breaks 6 others. It also has to do floating point math in software because Sony just can't do anything in a standard way.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I made it to the water level, Maridia, and i dont really want to play this anymore.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I made it to the water level, Maridia, and i dont really want to play this anymore.

Do you have the gravity suit? If you don't, don't go into Maridia.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Yes, i went into the water level after i got the item that lets you move in the water.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Okay. It is pretty sane to think maybe the item to let you move into water comes after you have to deal with some water to make you appreciate how good it is, but it isn't the case. I was just making sure.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Not that I did it as a kid and got lost and frustrated or anything.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Maridia's a piece of poo poo and the only blemish on imo an otherwise perfect game. Stick it out tho, the next two zones are fuckin sick

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

super Metroid is a better game if you know how to do the sequence breaks, also gently caress shinesparking into the wrecked ship that piece of poo poo pillar jump thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

welp, cant get the prime randomizer to work. probably for the best. with no checks there are too many ways it can gently caress up (sup missiles behind cordite, plasma beam in ice, grapple beam in lower phazon mines, etc.). it was neat seeing metroid prime rendered at 1080p tho

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

welp, cant get the prime randomizer to work. probably for the best. with no checks there are too many ways it can gently caress up (sup missiles behind cordite, plasma beam in ice, grapple beam in lower phazon mines, etc.). it was neat seeing metroid prime rendered at 1080p tho

it seems to me like making a blacklist/whitelist would be a requirement for making this work

too bad it can't work with zero mission at all because zero mission was coded strangely

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Doctor Goat posted:

it seems to me like making a blacklist/whitelist would be a requirement for making this work

dude who posted it posted:

By default, the Missile Launcher, Morph Ball, Morph Ball Bombs, and Artifact of Truth are left in their original locations. Everything else can be just about anywhere.

not familiar enough with the game and what tricks allow you to do to know how possible that makes these.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I liked the Maridia music, and overall I thought i was an enjoyable level, especially with the slightly more forgiving physics once you get the gravity suit. The boss gimmick was cool and getting the Space Jump really opened the entire world up.

In fact there is no aspect of SM that I found bad.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SeXReX posted:

not familiar enough with the game and what tricks allow you to do to know how possible that makes these.

The plasma beam being in ice is an example of a... no, don't do that

RME
Feb 20, 2012

bonzibuddy64 posted:

maridia is my least favorite area of the game but it has some really good/under-appreciated music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIcn67RfLQw

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SeXReX posted:

there are still like a hundred ways that can gently caress up

super metroid is easy because you only absolutely need a handful of upgrades to complete the game, metroid prime requires nearly everything and there are constant gear checks to make sure you haven't wound up somewhere you're not supposed to be. a randomizer with no checks sounds pretty loving pointless

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

there are still like a hundred ways that can gently caress up

super metroid is easy because you only absolutely need a handful of upgrades to complete the game, metroid prime requires nearly everything and there are constant gear checks to make sure you haven't wound up somewhere you're not supposed to be. a randomizer with no checks sounds pretty loving pointless

Missile Launcher
Wave Beam
Ice Beam
Plasma Beam
Charge Beam (OPTIONAL)
Super Missiles (OPTIONAL)
Morph Ball
Morph Ball Bombs
Boost Ball (OPTIONAL)
Spider Ball (OPTIONAL)
Power Bombs
Space Jump
X-Ray Visor
Varia Suit
Gravity Suit (OPTIONAL)
Phazon Suit & Beam
12 Artifacts
Grappling Beam (OPTIONAL)
Thermal Visor (OPTIONAL)

from gamefaqs, this is the list of must-have items

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I got it to work this morning, I ended up having one that wasn't possible to complete because the wave beam was in magmoor workstation which cant be reached without the wave beam or power bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

Missile Launcher
Wave Beam
Ice Beam
Plasma Beam
Charge Beam (OPTIONAL)
Super Missiles (OPTIONAL)
Morph Ball
Morph Ball Bombs
Boost Ball (OPTIONAL)
Spider Ball (OPTIONAL)
Power Bombs
Space Jump
X-Ray Visor
Varia Suit
Gravity Suit (OPTIONAL)
Phazon Suit & Beam
12 Artifacts
Grappling Beam (OPTIONAL)
Thermal Visor (OPTIONAL)

from gamefaqs, this is the list of must-have items

that list is total bull or is assuming you know how to do ridiculous out-of-bounds glitches and other odd exploits.

• Locked thread