Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fil5000 posted:

The two actual games of CW I managed to play last night were actually pretty great, and reminded me a lot of the "defend the desert pass" mission in MW4: Mercs. Highlights included someone trying to do the "hide in the cannon" trick and having Mindblast bail him anyway, our group trying and failing to remember the NATO alphabet past L (thanks to respawns being given a new call letter) and just making it up on the fly ("Thomas and Niko are through the gate!" "Q?? What the gently caress is Q?" "Xylophone is trying to flank") and generally rolling the attackers in both games. Sadly our two attack missions were against empty planets and attacking turrets is boring as poo poo.

Yeah when I noticed what was going on, I got worried for a sec what with what I read up front about it: once someone gets there the cannon geometry supposedly makes the mech impossible to hit. I was wrong in the best of ways!

Most memorable callout was for LL. Can the goons guess what we came up with for that one? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I really haven't played this since I burnt myself out in beta. Is it worth picking up again? I know they 'fixed' it so it's impossible now, but I kind of miss the old Lunchback and getting drunk and murdering everything with dual gauss catapults.

e: Being a douche with an LRM ammo laden atlas that just sits back and keeps people from aiming was pretty funny too. Not terribly powerful in terms of damage, but people would panic and get killed by dumb things as soon as the constant piss-stream of LRM fire got to them.

e2: Can we actually play in groups again?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 14, 2014

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

pls kill you're self tia

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Well, that was during the time when Gauss-apults and Boomcats were still a thing, the game played very different and there were no LRM focused assaults back than, nor a matchmaking forcing a 'balanced' distribution of weight classes-

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Ok so since I'm not cool enough to be WoL anymore. Please tell me what I did wrong. I don't want back in, I just want to improve myself because I'm apparently too enthusiastic to be a goon.

I want you back in WoL. There is a mute button on mumble if anybody bothers you too much. It's just a videogame.

Also, hating on Pycckuu is the new flavor of the month.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
We had another nice set of stomps tonight. Defense is noticeably easier than attacking, but they're both fun in different ways. :pgi: is going to need to add some maps pretty fast though because while these are fun I could see them feeling a bit stale in a month or two.

Possibly interesting twist: make gate gens inaccessible except to mechs with JJs, but make gate itself shootable, so have the option of burning time and/or ammo from heavier mechs to crack through vs bringing stuff with JJs that can access the gens.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I still haven't lost a CW drop but I'm looking forward to the opportunity this afternoon. :v:

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
I was told to try it out since Bigwig was saying it was fun and that community warfare dropped, so I did it yesterday.

Got some help from HerpicleOmnicron who just came back, with him answering questions then we did some single drops before trying community warfare.

I'm more used to the mechlab from mechwarrior 4 mercs, the only mechwarrior game I played or mechcommander. So the mechlab feels like improvements can be made.

Game sounds good, the robots are stompy.

We defended Turtle base twice against the clans successfully, but as we were in different drops we didn't get to play together there.

The unit/public group had to be explained when others came on later, which is why we couldn't drop.

CW gives a bit more chances so it felt like more risk could be taken compared to the single drops.

Later played with others who came on and we did a variety of games and I learnt some more things from them about mechs, skills, piloting and maps (eg: Nascar)

Overall had fun with people.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Banano posted:

pls kill you're self tia

2012 mechs were the best mechs :colbert:

fakeedit: The high tonnage of the atlas meant that you could cram it with 3 or 4 LRM15s (I think), and enough ammo and heatsinks to just chainfire them forever. It wasn't as effective as the SRM/Laser atlas everyone used to run, but it was a halfassed reasonable support mech that had a side benefit of causing most pubs to poo poo themselves and make mistakes.
You could also strip most of the armor off a catapult, throw on 2 gauss and a little bit of ammo, and just alpha pubs as they all rushed you 1 atlas at a time.

e: Also what? 6 or 8 pulse lasers on a fast hunchback before PGI made those worthless?

e2: Yeah gently caress it, I'm back. Time to learn the new dumb gimmicks.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 14, 2014

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Liao and Marik should honestly be teamed up all the time.

Not for any reason pertaining to lore or other gumby inanities of the franchise. Because it's the best strategic option for handing the heavy hitters with big full-sized realms.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Pretty much. Liao and Marik are the least and one of the least populated factions, respectively. Neither of us has the pop to gently caress with each other and deal with Davions and stuff. I am pretty we are the dave's prime target, too.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Plek posted:

Pretty much. Liao and Marik are the least and one of the least populated factions, respectively. Neither of us has the pop to gently caress with each other and deal with Davions and stuff. I am pretty we are the dave's prime target, too.

Considering the Davions have the most pubbies and we're goons, that seems reasonable.

Also, anyone interested in the art of goon whispering, pm me and we'll see what we can do to make us an even more efficient murder machine.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Marxalot posted:

e: Also what? 6 or 8 pulse lasers on a fast hunchback before PGI made those worthless?

Get 7 MPL on a Tinderbox 5SS and you'll run even cooler (15%) with more range (50%) and lower recycle time (15%) than what the lunchback was able to do during beta. You'll be a bit slower, but those lasers are placed all over the chassis so you run less risk of losing most of your weaponry with a few good hits and you carry more armor in general.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Plek posted:

I'm part of Kurita instead of WoL but I know a lot of the organized Kurita groups are splitting between clans and seesaw battles with the davs on tripoli and paris, might be worth contacting some of them at their teamspeak (they got an integrated one in the past few days afaik) if y'all wanna resurrect the triple axis alliance of marik/liao/kurita and coordinate pushes against them on both fronts. Aren't the three houses supposed to be in an alliance anyways in response to the fedcom union?

Scoops fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 14, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
So who else was playing World of Warships beta weekend last night? I saw two familiar faces and saluted.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
Yesterday on the fart map, the giant cannon basically went full auto and caused a massive earthquake for like 30-45 seconds. It was absolutely impossible to aim my dual gauss, and I was fighting a dual ac20 jager. Neither of us could hit the other so we just ran in circles around each other until it stopped. Mutual ceasefire until we can effectively kill each other again.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Mindblast posted:

Most memorable callout was for LL. Can the goons guess what we came up with for that one? :v:

Lovely Llama?
Llama Licker?
Lumpy Lesbian?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'm flush with cash from the weekend event. Whats a good IS mech to pick up? I'm pretty much set on lights, but I only have Cents, Jaegers, Cataphracts and Stalkers (missing the 4N though) in the other weight classes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Not a Step posted:

I'm flush with cash from the weekend event. Whats a good IS mech to pick up? I'm pretty much set on lights, but I only have Cents, Jaegers, Cataphracts and Stalkers (missing the 4N though) in the other weight classes.

What do you like driving the most?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Having a guy with like 2-4 tons of narc ammo and a few LRM boats on defense for the first round is like cheating.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kazvall posted:

Having a guy with like 2-4 tons of narc ammo and a few LRM boats on defense for the first round is like cheating.

Holy poo poo goon LRM apologist spotted, GETIM

(It's me, I'm the bad wh has an LRM HBK-4J)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo goon LRM apologist spotted, GETIM

(It's me, I'm the bad wh has an LRM HBK-4J)

We had a guy in a Raven narc every single thing he saw while 3 other guys dumped lrms onto his targets while the big boys stood watch at the gates.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

What do you like driving the most?

Frankly I enjoy piloting lights the most, but CW means I need to drive other weight classes. I don't have a lot of experience with bigger mechs and don't know what's good. I guess I'd prefer to avoid ballistic boats because I am bad at rationing ammo.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Not a Step posted:

Frankly I enjoy piloting lights the most, but CW means I need to drive other weight classes. I don't have a lot of experience with bigger mechs and don't know what's good. I guess I'd prefer to avoid ballistic boats because I am bad at rationing ammo.

Firestarters are pretty loving good.

Also it doesn't matter what weight class the mechs fall under as long as the total tonnage is under or at 240. I've been running a 100 ton assault, and 3 mediums. You could get a pretty great drop dec with the mechs you have already.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 14, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm thinking about putting together this kintaro for faction warfare. KTO-19 It's basically a faster version of the Streakcrow, and its designed to help blunt the possibility of light rushes and in general be an annoying, fast harasser. It's got some nice rate of fire and duration bonuses, so I think it might work a bit like a streakcrow, but maybe I'm crazy, idk?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I'm thinking about putting together this kintaro for faction warfare. KTO-19 It's bascially a faster version of the Streakcrow, and its desgined to help blunt the possibility of light rushes and in general be an annoying, fast harrasser. It's got some nice rate of fire and duration bonuses, so I think it might work a bit like a streakcrow, but maybe I'm crazy, idk?

This builds looks fun. You're going super fast and just creaming lights because often times they do get through your teams defense, but apparently not YOUR defense. Shine on, AoD!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Not a Step posted:

4x35tons fits into the weight limit (barely), does it? 4 x 35 = 140...

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Firestarters are pretty loving good.

Also it doesn't matter what weight class the mechs fall under as long as the total tonnage is under or at 240. I've been running a 100 ton assault, and 3 mediums. You could get a pretty great drop dec with the mechs you have already.

I'm set on lights. I have Firestarters, Jenners and Ravens. I have enough mechs for a CW drop deck. I have 11 million space bux and I'm trying to work out what to buy next, probably something heavy to give me more choices in drop decks, but I dunno what.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Not a Step posted:

I'm set on lights. I have Firestarters, Jenners and Ravens. I have enough mechs for a CW drop deck. I have 11 million space bux and I'm trying to work out what to buy next, probably something heavy to give me more choices in drop decks, but I dunno what.

Ah I'm sorry I read your post wrong. Atlas, Banshee, and the King Crab are all fun assaults. Even the Battlemaster has somewhat of a place now in CW. You've got all the heavies you'll probably want unless the Orion is up your alley.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Not a Step posted:

Not to discourage you from trying out other robbits, but there's nothing wrong with a guy with a full hand of lights. Even when we talking about setting up an Assault/Heavy deathball, we still need scouts and interceptors.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

ZombyDog posted:

Not to discourage you from trying out other robbits, but there's nothing wrong with a guy with a full hand of lights. Even when we talking about setting up an Assault/Heavy deathball, we still need scouts and interceptors.

the same can be said for having an lrm medium or heavy or even a streakboat for inevitable late round light zergs on defense.

Also, don't fight the Mariks we have a ceasefire with them.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Can the OP be updated to tell newbirds/retvets not to pick a faction contract before they are correctly joined to WOL ingame? Just had a dude pick a contract and now it's preventing him from joining WOL since the contract he picked for liao is longer than the WOL contract.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Can the OP be updated to tell newbirds/retvets not to pick a faction contract before they are correctly joined to WOL ingame? Just had a dude pick a contract and now it's preventing him from joining WOL since the contract he picked for liao is longer than the WOL contract.

Sure, done. I dislike the fact that this can happen.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
You can break contracts if you've got 1.4m Cbills or so hanging around. Playing with goons you'll earn that back reasonably quick.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

You can break contracts if you've got 1.4m Cbills or so hanging around. Playing with goons you'll earn that back reasonably quick.

But then there is apparently a 2 day waiting period before being able to join a unit?

I am the shameful perm contract haver.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I've tried signing up for Goonrathi and it tells me I'm approved but I've never had a email, forget password don't send a email and the password i entered don't work, who can I email who can help me?

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Scoops posted:

I'm part of Kurita instead of WoL but I know a lot of the organized Kurita groups are splitting between clans and seesaw battles with the davs on tripoli and paris, might be worth contacting some of them at their teamspeak (they got an integrated one in the past few days afaik) if y'all wanna resurrect the triple axis alliance of marik/liao/kurita and coordinate pushes against them on both fronts. Aren't the three houses supposed to be in an alliance anyways in response to the fedcom union?

Was it you that I played a CW match with last night? I like to think our constant all chat harassment contributed to our victory.. if we won. I can't remember. My mechs are apparently fueled by alcohol.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are the Eurogoons still up on this? Are they active?

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

by.a.teammate posted:

I've tried signing up for Goonrathi and it tells me I'm approved but I've never had a email, forget password don't send a email and the password i entered don't work, who can I email who can help me?

Same problem here. Also I did the permanent contract thing and hosed myself too. This game is a now worthy of a case study of bad UI design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I have to say it is cool to hear about alliances forming. Apparently two of the Clans have a deal to try to take over some Steiner space too.

• Locked thread