Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Stux posted:

i can't believe that billymc turned out to be adam sandler

So you're saying he's Billy Madicon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Where is BillyMC? Is this him?

He looks like Buff Bagwell?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
For those of you who thought doing LPs of games like Mario Kart wasn't serious business: http://www.reddit.com/r/MindcrackDiscussion/comments/2opvxc/my_version_of_events_re_the_mario_kart_8/

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Lp drama cuts like a knife

Also

that guy on reddit posted:

I am a content creator.

lmao

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so this Scott guy is part of the MK8 recording, says *something* offensive or not funny or both, they actually confront him and say 'you're out' and he writes a novel about it? I even caught, at one point, that he said 'if only they had confronted me about it', but... Didn't they?

So, what did he say that had them all pissed at him?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
The way I read it they didn't do that beforehand, but I don't care enough to read it again to verify.

Tin Tim posted:

Lp drama cuts like a knife

Also

lmao
I create content too. So I am a content creator as well. Please don't laugh at me. :(

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Twisted thought: a "contempt" (instead of content) creator.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

judge reinhold posted:

This is accurate.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so this Scott guy is part of the MK8 recording, says *something* offensive or not funny or both, they actually confront him and say 'you're out' and he writes a novel about it? I even caught, at one point, that he said 'if only they had confronted me about it', but... Didn't they?

So, what did he say that had them all pissed at him?

The impression I got was that members of the group had issues with his commentary before but never talked to him about it. Whatever he said at this recording was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

I create content too. So I am a content creator as well. Please don't laugh at me. :(
Content creator is a word pretentious douchebags use instead of just saying that they're making some form of videos on the internet

So I fear we could never be LPPS(Let's Play Pals) if you see yourself that way

Me? I'm more of a consent creator if you know what I mean :heysexy:

judge reinhold posted:

This also has my blessings

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Tin Tim posted:

Content creator is a word pretentious douchebags use instead of just saying that they're making some form of videos on the internet

So I fear we could never be LPPS(Let's Play Pals) if you see yourself that way

Me? I'm more of a consent creator if you know what I mean :heysexy:

You do not have my consent, sir.
But I will cease to call myself a content creator due to the negative connotations that seem to come with it. I'll call myself "dude who makes videos with gameplay footage he talks over" instead.
That should clear things up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

So It Goes posted:

For those of you who thought doing LPs of games like Mario Kart wasn't serious business: http://www.reddit.com/r/MindcrackDiscussion/comments/2opvxc/my_version_of_events_re_the_mario_kart_8/

Jesus christ this is the Atlas Shrugged of LP drama. And it just gets longer as people post their own novels in the replies

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

So It Goes posted:

I don't know who a single one of the people mentioned in that post are and somehow that makes it even funnier.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Mindcrack is the same group that led to this: http://slowbeef.tumblr.com/post/53496044693/mindcrack-and-me

Youtube LPs at its finest really.

e: Haha the drama keeps on giving the more you look into it, such as http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2dy26q/oldmanwillakers_and_nisovin_are_leaving/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/w1055/mindcrack_podcast_response/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/aubron/comments/1jdvxw/psa_i_am_not_a_moderator_backup_copy/. It's so funny how there is always like 500+ reddit posts discussing internet fights whenever someone leaves this random youtube LP group.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 14, 2014

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Pretty consistent with the drama going on in reddit.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I don't really give much of a gently caress about mindcrack anymore but i feel that you can't really simultaneously say "LPs are art" and "lol look at these guys caring about LPs"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monicro posted:

I don't really give much of a gently caress about mindcrack anymore but i feel that you can't really simultaneously say "LPs are art" and "lol look at these guys caring about LPs"

It's less that and more "lol look at these guys buried up their own assholes in drama"

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Danaru posted:

Jesus christ this is the Atlas Shrugged of LP drama. And it just gets longer as people post their own novels in the replies

The Highs and Lows of Youtube LP an autobiography by GreatScottLP on sale now on Itunes and Amazon.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 14, 2014

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

So It Goes posted:

Mindcrack is the same group that led to this: http://slowbeef.tumblr.com/post/53496044693/mindcrack-and-me

Oh god this makes it even better :allears:

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I'm curious, since there's a negative connotation with calling Youtuber's who make money off their LP videos "content creator", what would you like to call them? Seriously, what title would you like to give those that actually do it as a job.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People use the term 'content creator' to refer to themselves and their free speech rights when they are defending their own actions after they've done something stupid. The reason it carries a negative connotation is because its major use is in defense of the dumb. The phrase by itself is not negative but the way people use it has made it so.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ReturnOfFable posted:

I'm curious, since there's a negative connotation with calling Youtuber's who make money off their LP videos "content creator", what would you like to call them? Seriously, what title would you like to give those that actually do it as a job.

Dumb Video Shitiot Babies

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

ReturnOfFable posted:

L...Lets players?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

ReturnOfFable posted:

You answered your own question pal

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So It Goes posted:

e: Haha the drama keeps on giving the more you look into it, such as http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/2dy26q/oldmanwillakers_and_nisovin_are_leaving/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/mindcrack/comments/w1055/mindcrack_podcast_response/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/aubron/comments/1jdvxw/psa_i_am_not_a_moderator_backup_copy/. It's so funny how there is always like 500+ reddit posts discussing internet fights whenever someone leaves this random youtube LP group.

The Minecrack fans are kind of like the sports media on a slow day and there's a deadline for an article but nothing happening so they have to take a tweet or YouTube comment and turn it into a two thousand word article. When someone drops a James Mitchener omnibus of a quote into a subreddit there's no way it won't generate 500 or more replies.

I'm kind of creeped out by a number of the stories I've heard about the most extreme fans. People have tracked individuals down using minor details, some people have poured over hundreds of hours of videos to try to find half second chat windows to see what players were saying about each other or to find out server IPs and such. Really, not letting you have access to those kinds of people is probably them doing you a favor in the long run.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If people write fanfiction about you (not your video game character, YOU you), you have officially reached the 'grass is greener on the other side' part of being internet famous.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

This Guude fella sounds like a swell guy

(Just read the new links So It Goes edited in)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

"Later, someone posts a “Yay! Mindcrack!” thread in the SA LP forum which is neither a Let’s Play, nor very good, so I gas it. I do want to be honest about it; if it had not been Mindcrack? I’d have gassed it. As it stood, I gassed it, asked “what is this garbage?” and told the poster it sucked and he didn’t belong here.

Want me to tell you something else honestly? My little “gently caress Mindcrack” vendetta is actually the only reason I didn’t probate him We do that for Youtube-dump threads."

I'm pretty sure this was a thread I made. There's a Minecraft thread in Games, and we talk a lot about one subset of Mindcrack videos in it, so we made a separate thread for them. A second thread was made after some time, and a mod moved it to LP for reasons I do not understand, and slowbeef gassed it. It was never intended to be a youtube-dump in LP so I'm glad I didn't get probated for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think he's talking about the Mindcrack hardcore survival thing thread.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I'm pretty sure this was a thread I made. There's a Minecraft thread in Games, and we talk a lot about one subset of Mindcrack videos in it, so we made a separate thread for them. A second thread was made after some time, and a mod moved it to LP for reasons I do not understand, and slowbeef gassed it. It was never intended to be a youtube-dump in LP so I'm glad I didn't get probated for it.

You didn't make that particular thread but yeah, apart from that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looks like I misremembered. What happened was I had made the first thread. When it came time to make a new one, I didn't care to do it. Someone else did, and THAT one got moved/gassed.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ReturnOfFable posted:

Oh for the love of Christ. This has been debated back and forth for years now, at LEAST since I registered here. Look, anybody that takes a poo poo can be called a content creator. If you grab some SWEET Mario Kart footage, and put your favorite Linkin Park track over it and upload it, then you're a content creator, you produced that particular video blah blah technical definition blah. The trick, is to be a creator of good content. "Content Creator" isn't some staple of pride, and more often than not, especially where LP is concerned, anybody that touts themselves as Joe/Jane Content Creator, is dong nothing more than smearing a shitlog all over other people's web browser.

Danaru posted:

You know, I like LP drama. Mostly because I find it pretty entertaining just how upset people get over LP on either side of the argument, but drat. This is some Iliad/Odyssey poo poo here. GREATSCOTTLP IS APPARENTLY THE LP HOMER.

e: Hahahaha, I just read this poo poo:

GreatScottLP Twitter Spaz posted:

I come from a military background of honor, discipline, and integrity. When someone asks me a question, my first response is always the full truth.

OH THAT PERFECT MILITARY MIND.

BMS fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 14, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

It's fun to make fun of bad LPers and all and playing video games for the internet is still a silly thing but tbh the reality is it's a 7-figure business now so im not gonna get in a huff about people in it giving it a professional-sounding name

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's really not. It's just a minority of people who would probably be making as much money if they were doing anything else.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Monicro posted:

It's fun to make fun of bad LPers and all and playing video games for the internet is still a silly thing but tbh the reality is it's a 7-figure business now so im not gonna get in a huff about people in it giving it a professional-sounding name

That's kinda the way I look at it, it's just weird that I remember "content creator" having this negative connotation to it years ago when people were making money off COD commentaries. Now that people are turning it into careers and an actual business, just figured people would get over the drama surrounding the title.

Though, I guess calling them Youtubers works. Just sounds stupid.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Content creator" isn't pretentiousness or professionalism. It's just stating things plainly that a person creates content. Some people may use it to sound like they're ultra-cool-sophisticated dudes, or you may read the term and consider it to be super-lame-douche, but generally it's not that at all and people should maybe chill out.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Supdergreatfriend had a good podcast on this issue a little while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydNfWdPpis

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It's really not. It's just a minority of people who would probably be making as much money if they were doing anything else.

Pewdiepie is making 7 million per year and even B-list guys like 2 best friends have to be getting enough to split 4 ways

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monicro posted:

Pewdiepie is making 7 million per year and even B-list guys like 2 best friends have to be getting enough to split 4 ways

I don't think his point was about how much the big guys are making. People that make a living doing LPs whether they make thousands or millions are quite literally the 1% of people who regularly do Let's Plays. They are as minor of a minority as you can get. It's not a business because your average person doesn't do it for the business, only the people who do it for a living do.

edit: Well, unless you count accepting donations or patreon or whathaveyou, but that's a whole different discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Monicro posted:

Just because one guy makes 7 mil doesn't mean that its a million dollar industry.

• Locked thread