Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I thought you could turn off boomsound for anything other than the built-in speakers? Does it not work that way when playing over the DAC? Also imo the M8's internal soundcard is pretty decent and doesn't really require a DAC (although I've never tried running my M8 through a DAC I have one that I use for my laptop so I'm not universally anti-DAC or anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

redeyes posted:

Well lets see what my Note II has that nothing else has..

1. loving great audio mods (voodoo sound!), negates the need for a DAC.
2. Wifi Tethering, unlimited, I signed up for it, I want to use it
3. OLED display, sorry this is the only type of display I will use anymore, this is why I bought the Tab S 10.5

Its pathetic I cant get this functionality out of any phone that isn't rooted. Having said that, I recognize this is the end of my root experience so I bought an Android DAC (Sabre mini-dac) and a FIIO headphone amp. They do work great except on my wifes brand new HTC ONE M8 with loving BOOMSOUND which is stupid enough to kick in when my DAC is in use rendering it horrible sounding. Great..The HTC ONE M8 has a poo poo camera. Its bad enough to ruin the phone for people that need a camera.

Frankly Samsung has the best screens, at least so far. My Tab S has the best screen I have EVER seen on ANY device ever. OLED FTW.

Im not bitching as much as trying to figure out an upgrade path that doesn't seem to exist.

Also rooting gets you SAMBA which makes the phone or tablet show up on my Windows network like any other computer and I love this feature.. ROOT ONLY!

Moto uses AMOLED and are easy to unlock the bootloader and root. Nexus 6 obviously too. You're raging against restrictions that don't exist.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

redeyes posted:

Does the N6 have good sound output? From reading around the camera seems lovely as well. I don't really think of the Note as a BIG PHONE, just something that has the functionality I like. I didn't realize the N6 has an OLED.. looking that up. Also, I get 2 days out of my Note II using about 3-4 hours of screen a day. Seems hard to accomplish on the N6.

It sounds good enough for portable use to me. If I'm walking down the street and there's cars going by, people talking, trains, buses, etc. who cares? If I'm home and listening to quality audio, I wouldn't be doing it from my phone in the first place. I'm a sound engineer by trade if that helps.

Also, the N6 screen is very nice. I don't get the criticism of AMOLED screens being super saturated. Sure they are, but you're not going to be running Photoshop on the thing.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 14, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Moto uses AMOLED and are easy to unlock the bootloader and root. Nexus 6 obviously too. You're raging against restrictions that don't exist.
He's raging against his own autism. Voodoo? Is this 2011? Needing to violate his carrier's TOS because he wants his cake and to eat it too? Check. OLED? OLED??

Every "limitation" is self-created.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dik-dik posted:

I thought you could turn off boomsound for anything other than the built-in speakers? Does it not work that way when playing over the DAC? Also imo the M8's internal soundcard is pretty decent and doesn't really require a DAC (although I've never tried running my M8 through a DAC I have one that I use for my laptop so I'm not universally anti-DAC or anything).

Nah, when headphones arn't plugged in Boomsound is on all the time. I actually got HTC on support chat and bitch about it and the support monkey just couldn't understand why someone wouldn't want boom sound on all the time. Useless.

I use IEM's with my Note II and it sounds just about as good as high end DAC and headphone amps. Yes it is that good.

quote:

It sounds good enough for portable use to me. If I'm walking down the street and there's cars going by, people talking, trains, buses, etc. who cares? If I'm home and listening to quality audio, I wouldn't be doing it from my phone in the first place.

Yeah well my phone is my primary audio output device. I run long distances and use it the entire time. Frankly if your argument is "who cares if the audio sucks.." good for you if you don't care. I do.

quote:

He's raging against his own autism. Voodoo? Is this 2011? Needing to violate his carrier's TOS because he wants his cake and to eat it too? Check. OLED? OLED??

Nice useless post.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 14, 2014

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
That's not what I said. The days of lovely audio on android seem to be over, any of the high end phones these days have great audio support. Give it a try.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FlyingCheese posted:

That's not what I said. The days of lovely audio on android seem to be over, any of the high end phones these days have great audio support. Give it a try.
Primarly the issue is higher end IEMs need more output power which only the HTC One m8 seems to have stock: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review/11

I have an HTC One M8 which sounds pretty great with headphones. Has no AMOLED. Its an ok phone with limitations I don't particularly like such as removable battery. The camera is really bad. Root is possibly impossible so I can't use tethering.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 14, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

redeyes posted:

Yeah well my phone is my primary audio output device. I run long distances and use it the entire time. Frankly if your argument is "who cares if the audio sucks.." good for you if you don't care. I do.
Please tell me you only use FLAC files.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

redeyes posted:

I have an HTC One M8 which sounds pretty great with headphones. Has no AMOLED. Its an ok phone with limitations I don't particularly like such as removable battery. The camera is really bad. Root is possibly impossible so I can't use tethering.

Huh? My M8 has been rooted since about 5 minutes after I opened it the box. It's about as easy as can be to root it.

Also if turning off boomsound is so important to you you can just use a custom ROM that doesn't have it. Or you can just plug your headphones directly into the audio out jack instead of running through a DAC because seriously the M8 sound output quality is great as is.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dik-dik posted:

Huh? My M8 has been rooted since about 5 minutes after I opened it.

Like a moron, I used mine for a month before trying to root and by that time there was an update that prevented root. UGH

quote:

lso if turning off boomsound is so important to you you can just use a custom ROM that doesn't have it. Or you can just plug your headphones directly into the audio out jack instead of running through a DAC because seriously the M8 sound output quality is great as is.

I totally agree. The HTC One m8 has the best audio output quality and power of any stock phone ever.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Aren't HTC root methods like Nexus devices? pushing stuff through ADB?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Huh? My M8 has been rooted since about 5 minutes after I opened it the box. It's about as easy as can be to root it.

Also if turning off boomsound is so important to you you can just use a custom ROM that doesn't have it. Or you can just plug your headphones directly into the audio out jack instead of running through a DAC because seriously the M8 sound output quality is great as is.
Verizon probably blocks officially sanctioned bootloader unlocking. Of course he's getting back by not paying for tethering so the joke's on them.

Also there's always GPE on the M8 but I doubt that works on Verizon either.

Guillermus posted:

Aren't HTC root methods like Nexus devices? pushing stuff through ADB?
Verizon actively hates its customers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

^^^^ That makes some sense also my question below VVVV

It might not be the best thread to ask, but why phones don't work with different carriers on North America? In Europe you can buy a phone from Germany and if it's unlocked can work perfectly in Spain with any carrier out of the box.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Guillermus posted:

It might not be the best thread to ask, but why phones don't work with different carriers on North America? In Europe you can buy a phone from Germany and if it's unlocked can work perfectly in Spain with any carrier out of the box.

There are technical reasons (different networks use different technology, not all phones have the proper radios for all networks) and policy reasons (when a phone includes the radios to work on multiple carriers, the carrier you buy it from can SIM lock the phone; they don't want you to be able to take it to another carrier and so they just block you from doing so).

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Supercurio hasn't worked on Voodoo Sound for ages, so no matter what you get you're going to have to find a new audio mod. Viper is compatible with a ton of devices and doesn't require an unlocked bootloader/compatible kernel.

The good news is, basically every modern phone has a pretty boss DAC now. The typical flaw now is lovely decompression/inaccurate post-processing, which Viper can mitigate or outright eliminate.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Verizon probably blocks officially sanctioned bootloader unlocking. Of course he's getting back by not paying for tethering so the joke's on them.

Also there's always GPE on the M8 but I doubt that works on Verizon either.
Verizon actively hates its customers.

You are an annoying moron.

quote:

Supercurio hasn't worked on Voodoo Sound for ages, so no matter what you get you're going to have to find a new audio mod. Viper is compatible with a ton of devices and doesn't require an unlocked bootloader/compatible kernel.

The good news is, basically every modern phone has a pretty boss DAC now. The typical flaw now is lovely decompression/inaccurate post-processing, which Viper can mitigate or outright eliminate.

Since I need to show off my nerd cred in this thread to get anything helpful. It has been re-written and is now called Scoobydoo/boeffla sound. What it mainly does is enable the Wolfson DAC's more powerful output. Without it you get much much less volume with some IEMs... like mine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

^^^^ That makes some sense also my question below VVVV

The longer answer is that Europe is tiny and agreed to standardize early on GSM. The US has captive regulators free markets so the only carriers that matter, AT&T and Verizon, ran incompatible networks on different frequencies. While AT&T transitioned from TDMA to GSM (the technology you're familiar with), Verizon uses CDMA which means they have to provision devices on their end for them to work. So even though Sprint and Verizon use the same technology you can't take a device from one to the other because neither will activate the others' devices (because gently caress you, that's why) and historically it just wasn't possible to have CDMA and GSM in a device simultaneously so you were effectively locked out from moving between AT&T and Verizon.

This has kind of changed recently but now you have LTE fragmentation so you're getting more of the same issues where you'll have devices work on some but not all US networks because they're all using such a jumble of various bands, frequencies, and technologies.

To understand the US market you need to understand three things:
  • The US market is a duopoly with AT&T and Verizon controlling 70% of the marketshare and all of the backhaul
  • A carrier's network utility is inversely proportional to its customer service, i.e the more useful their network is the more they hate you
  • The US has no effective telecom regulation and Verizon/AT&T effectively control the entire space

If you understand those three things everything about the US wireless market will make sense.

redeyes posted:

Maybe true, but you're the one doing and saying stupid things.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Maybe true, but you're the one doing and saying stupid things.

No. You just don't agree with my opinions and feel like you need to attack me. I hope it makes you feel good to know you act exactly like every other no-nothing internet nerd wannabe.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

redeyes posted:

Since I need to show off my nerd cred in this thread to get anything helpful. It has been re-written and is now called Scoobydoo/boeffla sound. What it mainly does is enable the Wolfson DAC's more powerful output. Without it you get much much less volume with some IEMs... like mine.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. My s3 Kernel used Scoobydoo. Out of curiosity, are you running a stock rom or CM or something? The hivemind prefers to run stock rooted on phones with near-aosp levels of (non) oem skinnage, using Xposed/Gravity Box to taste. Join us. We have cookies.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mooktastical posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. My s3 Kernel used Scoobydoo. Out of curiosity, are you running a stock rom or CM or something? The hivemind prefers to run stock rooted on phones with near-aosp levels of (non) oem skinnage, using Xposed/Gravity Box to taste. Join us. We have cookies.

On my Note II I use a de-knox'd rooted, debloated Stock Touchwiz Kitkat build with AGNI kernel which has a bunch of useful mods. The poor dude that was maintaining the Note II AGNI kernel had his note stolen so that kernel seems to have ended. There are also Cyanogen builds but all of them are buggy as heck. So basically, I am good with my Note II as long as it continues to work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

redeyes posted:

No. You just don't agree with my opinions and feel like you need to attack me. I hope it makes you feel good to know you act exactly like every other no-nothing internet nerd wannabe.
I know how to spell "know" which allows me to feel I've crossed some bar of basic competence. I guess that feels "good".

The point I was agreeing with (I didn't say it first or even second) is that you're fighting imaginary dragons. The obstacles in your path were all created by your unique snowflake "needs" that don't hew to reality or sense. You wouldn't get pushback if you weren't saying things that are objectively incorrect.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

dik-dik posted:

holy poo poo this thread

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

I know how to spell "know" which allows me to feel I've crossed some bar of basic competence. I guess that feels "good".

The point I was agreeing with (I didn't say it first or even second) is that you're fighting imaginary dragons. The obstacles in your path were all created by your unique snowflake "needs" that don't hew to reality or sense. You wouldn't get pushback if you weren't saying things that are objectively incorrect.

This is the wrong thread for you. Get out.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

redeyes posted:

:allears:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I bought an old Galaxy Nexus and flashed the latest Cyanogen on it. When I booted into it I didn't get a phone signal. I downloaded the stock image from Google and reverted to that and I still don't get a phone signal. Can somebody tell me where to start debugging this? There's nothing interesting in logcat and I've already tried like five different radios.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

xtal posted:

I bought an old Galaxy Nexus and flashed the latest Cyanogen on it. When I booted into it I didn't get a phone signal. I downloaded the stock image from Google and reverted to that and I still don't get a phone signal. Can somebody tell me where to start debugging this? There's nothing interesting in logcat and I've already tried like five different radios.

Did you get the right radio/rom for the version of the Galaxy Nexus you purchased? Was the phone reported stolen sometime and the IMEI is blacklisted?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

Did you get the right radio/rom for the version of the Galaxy Nexus you purchased?

As far as I know yes. It's the GSM variant. I've tried the latest AOKP, the last stable AOKP, the last stable Cyanogen, stock 4.3 and stock 4.0. I've also tried a few different radios that people recommend for my carrier (Wind Mobile in Canada, who uses the AWS network.)

quote:

Was the phone reported stolen sometime and the IMEI is blacklisted?

I don't think so. Could I check that? How could I fix it? I'm quite sure this problem didn't exist until I flashed Cyanogen, but I'm not 100%.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

redeyes posted:

Tizen looks interesting. *shrug*

In a thread full of complete sperglords, this is the craziest comment yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xtal posted:

As far as I know yes. It's the GSM variant. I've tried the latest AOKP, the last stable AOKP, the last stable Cyanogen, stock 4.3 and stock 4.0. I've also tried a few different radios that people recommend for my carrier (Wind Mobile in Canada, who uses the AWS network.)

I don't think so. Could I check that? How could I fix it? I'm quite sure this problem didn't exist until I flashed Cyanogen, but I'm not 100%.
What does the phone report in Settings > About phone > Status for the IMEI?

Assuming it's not busted there, the next step is to flash the stock yakju/takju image and see if that works.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

What does the phone report in Settings > About phone > Status for the IMEI?

Assuming it's not busted there, the next step is to flash the stock yakju/takju image and see if that works.

I've tried takju 4.0.4 and 4.3 and yakju 4.0.4, they all have the same problem. I looked at the radio on my old Nexus and I'm giving that one a try now. I'll edit in the IMEI stuff after this attempt.

e: No luck with the baseband that works on my other phone. There's a long code for the IMEI and "IMEO SV" is 04. Do I need to do anything to be able to use my old SIM on the new phone?

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 14, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Say what you want about the audio thing, but OLED's ability to go full black other than what's actually being displayed (with the right apps) is a wonderful thing in a car at night. I won't buy another LCD phone as long as I have a choice because of this. The same feature of the technology that Motorola uses to save battery I use to keep my night vision.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xtal posted:

I've tried takju 4.0.4 and 4.3 and yakju 4.0.4, they all have the same problem. I looked at the radio on my old Nexus and I'm giving that one a try now. I'll edit in the IMEI stuff after this attempt.

e: No luck with the baseband that works on my other phone. There's a long code for the IMEI and "IMEO SV" is 04. Do I need to do anything to be able to use my old SIM on the new phone?
Assuming the IMEI is not blank (I *think* the default Samsung IMEI is all zeros but it should be obvious in any case) then I'm leaning toward the phone being reported stolen and blacklisted. It looks like there are online tools where you could check (I'd lean toward using a tool on your carrier's site if possible).

If the IMEI is blank you have another problem for which there isn't a solution. Well at least it's not this.

Check to find out if the IMEI is blacklisted. If a stock image applied after a wipe isn't working it's almost certainly a provisioning issue.

wolrah posted:

Say what you want about the audio thing, but OLED's ability to go full black other than what's actually being displayed (with the right apps) is a wonderful thing in a car at night. I won't buy another LCD phone as long as I have a choice because of this. The same feature of the technology that Motorola uses to save battery I use to keep my night vision.
I prefer how OLEDs look when they're new too. It's just a matter of longevity what with burn in and uneven color wear. Also if you want your UI to not be a dark, dreary mess then I guess you pay for it with increased power consumption.

I do like those blacks though, shame about literally everything else.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 15, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

Yeah OLED is just great , no reason to go back to last century display technology.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

redeyes posted:

Click the little question mark. He's probably the most prolific and helpful poster in the thread. Nice.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Mooktastical posted:

Click the little question mark. He's probably the most prolific and helpful poster in the thread. Nice.

Yeah, and by a wide margin too. He's posted more than 3x as many posts as the person with the next-most posts in this thread. But yeah, definitely the wrong thread for him.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Assuming the IMEI is not blank (I *think* the default Samsung IMEI is all zeros but it should be obvious in any case) then I'm leaning toward the phone being reported stolen and blacklisted. It looks like there are online tools where you could check (I'd lean toward using a tool on your carrier's site if possible).

If the IMEI is blank you have another problem for which there isn't a solution. Well at least it's not this.

Check to find out if the IMEI is blacklisted. If a stock image applied after a wipe isn't working it's almost certainly a provisioning issue.
I prefer how OLEDs look when they're new too. It's just a matter of longevity what with burn in and uneven color wear. Also if you want your UI to not be a dark, dreary mess then I guess you pay for it with increased power consumption.

I do like those blacks though, shame about literally everything else.

I used a few online services to check and they all came back clear. I also called my carrier and they confirmed everything should work.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

redeyes posted:

Does the N6 have good sound output? From reading around the camera seems lovely as well. I don't really think of the Note as a BIG PHONE, just something that has the functionality I like. I didn't realize the N6 has an OLED.. looking that up. Also, I get 2 days out of my Note II using about 3-4 hours of screen a day. Seems hard to accomplish on the N6.

I'd consider Windows phone but it looks even more locked down.. I was hoping for x86 phones at some point but that looks like a pipe dream since Microsoft can't modify Windows to work mobile. I do agree that the N6 could be my best and only upgrade path.

Tizen looks interesting. *shrug*

There may be another option!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xtal posted:

I used a few online services to check and they all came back clear. I also called my carrier and they confirmed everything should work.
Hmm. Are you sure it ever worked? Because the standard radio for the unit is definitely fine on AWS.

When you're in Settings > About Phone > Status, does it say it's receiving a signal at all? (It should be listed in dBm) It ought to say that even if you're not provisioned. The next thing I say we try is to verify you have the correct settings in Settings > Wireless & Networks > More > Cellular networks. It should say WCDMA preferred (I think, I'm on LTE).

Have you verified your APN settings? That you'll have to Google for.

Lastly we need to look in the hidden menu and verify the network type is WCDMA preferred.

To be clear, the phone reports the SIM is in but you have no cellular signal of any kind, correct? Does it say "Emergency calls only" on the lockscreen? It shows no carrier information in the lockscreen or notification shade?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Hmm. Are you sure it ever worked? Because the standard radio for the unit is definitely fine on AWS.

When you're in Settings > About Phone > Status, does it say it's receiving a signal at all? (It should be listed in dBm) It ought to say that even if you're not provisioned. The next thing I say we try is to verify you have the correct settings in Settings > Wireless & Networks > More > Cellular networks. It should say WCDMA preferred (I think, I'm on LTE).

Have you verified your APN settings? That you'll have to Google for.

Lastly we need to look in the hidden menu and verify the network type is WCDMA preferred.

To be clear, the phone reports the SIM is in but you have no cellular signal of any kind, correct? Does it say "Emergency calls only" on the lockscreen? It shows no carrier information in the lockscreen or notification shade?

Hey, thanks a lot for being so helpful, first of all. I trust the person I bought it from, but they might have been mistaken about it working before. I just flashed back to stock 4.3 and it reliably lets me search for, find and connect to my carrier, but I get 0 bars. Other ROMs I've tried didn't let me search at all.

I do have a signal strength of -113 dBm. The mobile network type is "UMTS" and it says "in service," "not roaming." But the "mobile network state" is "disconnected." The IMEI SV, which was previously 04, is also 01 now.

I don't have a "Cellular networks" area with the 4.3 ROM. The APN settings are the same as my old phone. The old phone is the exact same model as this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xtal posted:

Hey, thanks a lot for being so helpful, first of all. I trust the person I bought it from, but they might have been mistaken about it working before. I just flashed back to stock 4.3 and it reliably lets me search for, find and connect to my carrier, but I get 0 bars. Other ROMs I've tried didn't let me search at all.

I do have a signal strength of -113 dBm. The mobile network type is "UMTS" and it says "in service," "not roaming." But the "mobile network state" is "disconnected." The IMEI SV, which was previously 04, is also 01 now.

I don't have a "Cellular networks" area with the 4.3 ROM. The APN settings are the same as my old phone. The old phone is the exact same model as this one.
Excellent! Now we're getting somewhere.

-113dBm is crazy low, that's why you're not connected. If you're anywhere under -100dBm, you should consider yourself borderline but at under -110dBm you are disconnected. So it's not provisioning, it's just a bad signal. Okay you're on stock 4.3. Does Rogers Wind have EDGE fallback? I know many Canadian carriers run a 3G-only network (now they have 4G too but that doesn't apply).

You're going to say that your other phone gets a signal where you are, why won't this one and that's a good question to ask. I'm tempted to say the phone could be damaged in some way internally such that it can't receive a signal. How is the wifi signal? If you go outside, how much better does the signal show? What is the signal strength in the same location on your old device (if it works)?

I'm really leaning toward a damaged antenna.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 15, 2014