Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i don't remember duck hunt's down taunt but bowser's is definitely him activating his swag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!
I just figured the King of all Koopas had a soft spot for hopscotch with his down taunt.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

liquidypoo posted:

Dang. Are we Wii U pals? I think I wanna try smushing your anime sword/spellwoman.

Add me at ChaosArgate if we're not already.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

If I remember right, Duck Hunt's down taunt is normally just run-of-the-mill. It shoots up to high tier if you spam it for the entire duration of the Nintendogs assist trophy or sing "How much is that doggie in the window" at the same time.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Unused music found on the disc. Probably for the Miiverse stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ottogQHUtJY

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mario Paint Medley spotted. Includes the barking and meowing soundbits

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Why haven't we gotten a Mario Paint stage yet? I loved Mario Paint and I love this.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I hope they patch more options into the online at some point. It would be nice to play on real stages in anything other than four-player, two-minute timed matches. Right now if none of my friends are up for Smashing the only good option is to cycle through 1v1 For Glory and hope you get someone who's around your skill level and doesn't leave after a match (which, admittedly, is really fun when the stars align).

Also I already have a bunch of goon friends, but add me if you haven't: NNID Ganondalf42.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 14, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

mabels big day posted:

Do you edge guard with eruption? Because I get a ton of kills that way.

Gonna have to try that, thanks for the tip!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think Ike's forward air is really good too. It comes out super fast and has like no ending lag so you can use it to scare people off from trying to approach you in the air.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

F. Lobot posted:

Unused music found on the disc. Probably for the Miiverse stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ottogQHUtJY

These are almost definitely both for Miiverse.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
After trying all night to beat the challenge wherein you beat Classic on 9.0 in under 12 minutes using Marth, I decided to finally throw in the towel and use one of my 5 hammers. I noticed they leave a little hammer symbol on the image after you break it. Now my shame is forever recorded.

I then decided to say "gently caress it" and use the rest of the hammers. I used them on as many "Classic on 9.0" challenges as I could. I have 116 out of 140 challenges beat, including all the stadium related ones. I pretty much only have the All-Star, Smash Tour, a couple Classic ones and poo poo like "get ALL the CDs" left. Man, I just reached 500 trophies. How the gently caress are there over 200 left?! Gotta get 50000 blocks, 300000 coins, all hats, costumes, alt. moves, and then I STILL have to figure out a way to beat Classic 9.0 without dying. Any advice for that one?

At this rate, I'll be done with the challenges around summer and then I can actually start playing online. :shepicide:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

After trying all night to beat the challenge wherein you beat Classic on 9.0 in under 12 minutes using Marth, I decided to finally throw in the towel and use one of my 5 hammers. I noticed they leave a little hammer symbol on the image after you break it. Now my shame is forever recorded.

I then decided to say "gently caress it" and use the rest of the hammers. I used them on as many "Classic on 9.0" challenges as I could. I have 116 out of 140 challenges beat, including all the stadium related ones. I pretty much only have the All-Star, Smash Tour, a couple Classic ones and poo poo like "get ALL the CDs" left. Man, I just reached 500 trophies. How the gently caress are there over 200 left?! Gotta get 50000 blocks, 300000 coins, all hats, costumes, alt. moves, and then I STILL have to figure out a way to beat Classic 9.0 without dying. Any advice for that one?

At this rate, I'll be done with the challenges around summer and then I can actually start playing online. :shepicide:

CLASSIC 9.0:

QUICK BATTER LOADOUT (made easier if you have the 3DS version, since qppropriate all-character equipment is guaranteed as challenge rewards)

Give a middleweight character like Mario one "Home Run Batter" equipment, one "Quick Batter" equipment, and use the third slot to keep as many of his stats as possible above 0. If you like, replace Super Jump Punch with Super Jump, because you won't need the damage output of his "normal" up+B.

This makes you spawn with a Home Run Bat at the start of every fight, AND reduces the Bat's windup to less than half of normal. Instant kill F-Smashes!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

DoctorWhat posted:

CLASSIC 9.0:

QUICK BATTER LOADOUT (made easier if you have the 3DS version, since qppropriate all-character equipment is guaranteed as challenge rewards)

Give a middleweight character like Mario one "Home Run Batter" equipment, one "Quick Batter" equipment, and use the third slot to keep as many of his stats as possible above 0. If you like, replace Super Jump Punch with Super Jump, because you won't need the damage output of his "normal" up+B.

This makes you spawn with a Home Run Bat at the start of every fight, AND reduces the Bat's windup to less than half of normal. Instant kill F-Smashes!

Awesome advice. But yeah, wouldn't have helped with the Marth or No Custom Equipment challenges. Glad I saved my hammers for those.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Double post

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

thanks alot assbag posted:

Gonna have to try that, thanks for the tip!

To reiterate why this is so good, Ike's eruption has a huge hitbox all around him when you release it. If he's standing on the edge, this severely limits the ways your opponent can approach the ledge safely. Depending on the character, it comes down to how well you time your release to hit them before they snap the ledge. If they try to go above you, but are not high enough, they will probably be hit, and if you've done any decent damage at all this will pretty much always kill. Just be wary of sword characters and other characters with disjointed hitbox recoveries, because they might hit you before you hit them. Make sure you never fully charge though because it will do a little less damage than an almost fully charged eruption, and it will also hurt you.

Also, sometimes just Ike standing there charging his sword is so intimidating that the opponent will just fall to their death because of their indecisiveness.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

What's the reason players upload "extended" versions of the music? Is it to make it harder to identify the uploader as sharing without owning rights? I've heard people do the same thing by slowing down/speeding up songs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mamelon posted:

What's the reason players upload "extended" versions of the music? Is it to make it harder to identify the uploader as sharing without owning rights? I've heard people do the same thing by slowing down/speeding up songs.

So you can listen to it for longer than a single loop through without restarting the video.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

mamelon posted:

So you can listen to the song on a loop without having to download the song or something?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it's specifically a Brawl modder thing, actually. People want to mod their favourite game music into Brawl and Project M and such, and it's more feasible to just have the track run for a long time than to actually program the loop.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Ganondorfs up tilt works the much in the same way as Ikes B re: ledgeshenanigans. The downside of course is having to gauge the windup time versus their air time instead of releasing when appropriate. The hitbox for the uptilt explosion is big and sort of invisible (the indication of its range is impact lines, not the actual explosion) and people have a hard time figuring out where it starts and ends, plus it will majorly damage a shield or break it outright.

Hella gimmicky but feels great if you land it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

Awesome advice. But yeah, wouldn't have helped with the Marth or No Custom Equipment challenges. Glad I saved my hammers for those.

The equipment you get from the 3DS version is all-character, so it CAN help with Marth!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's specifically a Brawl modder thing, actually. People want to mod their favourite game music into Brawl and Project M and such, and it's more feasible to just have the track run for a long time than to actually program the loop.

No, not at all. If you mod the songs to last forever then you're stuck with a BRSTM file that's much larger than it needs to be. If you go to the BrawlBRSTM site, you'll see a lot of songs that are like 2-3 minutes long but looped properly. Looping for YouTube is a lot easier for repeat listening.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I like Ike because of his range and power. I don't really have much advice for using him since I do kind of suck. (Level 9 cpu beats me)

I want to like little Mac, but his recovery is just so awful. He's great on levels like bridge of eldin, but that's about it.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I didnt realize that there was a thread in games for ssb4, Im going down the list and sending freind requests to all you motherfuckers, please add me.

my NNID is: netscape

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Master Twig posted:

I want to like little Mac, but his recovery is just so awful. He's great on levels like bridge of eldin, but that's about it.

Yeah, he's fun when you've got a reasonably flat stage where you can play him like, well, a boxer. Anything that scrolls or requires jumping.... well let's just say you don't need to be a master strategist to realize that keeping Mac on the edges is a guaranteed way to gently caress him over.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DoctorWhat posted:

CLASSIC 9.0:

I used this to get to 20 matches with Mario on Crazy Orders, only giving the last slot the 10 seconds invincibility if you get the first hit ability, whatever its name is. Made everything far easier.

I then tried using that for an Intense Master Order, I couldn't get the first hit in and got murdered. Skill is still neccesary!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I used this to get to 20 matches with Mario on Crazy Orders, only giving the last slot the 10 seconds invincibility if you get the first hit ability, whatever its name is. Made everything far easier.

I then tried using that for an Intense Master Order, I couldn't get the first hit in and got murdered. Skill is still neccesary!

quote:

10 seconds invincibility if you get the first hit ability,

Oooh, is that A Thing? I didn't even know. What's the "proper" name for that?

OH! And for landing the "first strike" with Mario, try equipping Fast Fireball.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DoctorWhat posted:

Oooh, is that A Thing? I didn't even know. What's the "proper" name for that?

OH! And for landing the "first strike" with Mario, try equipping Fast Fireball.

It's "First-strike advantage". And I'm already using the Fast Fireball (never try doing this without it, it will be far harder), but you still have to land it, which can be hard on Intense. It's super easy during Crazy Orders though, so it's a sure-win button as long as you don't attempt anything that'd take over ten seconds (hi, Horde battles)

Oh, and just a thing: hitting Master/Crazy Hand will not trigger first-strike advantage. If you're doing Crazy Orders, you have to hit their lackeys (whoever you get, I got Little Macs).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
So I'm seeing some misconceptions regarding Marth and Lucina, so I decided to put the all the real differences between them here:

ALL MARTH/LUCINA DIFFERENCES:

Marth has the tipper. Lucina does not, but does more damage and more knockback than untipped Marth. In general, Lucina does 12.5% more damage and knockback than untipped Marth while tipped Marth will do about 25% more damage and knockback than Lucina. This is not a universal rule however. Marth's tippers can also have different knockback angles (typically sending opponents where Marth wants them to go) and so forth.
EXCEPTIONS TO THE ABOVE:
* Both Shield Breaker Customs, both Dolphin Slash customs, and Counter as well as it's customs all have no tipper and do the same damage (or no damage) for both.
* Lucina still has to time her down air to meteor smash opponents like Marth has to because the meteor part of that move is independent of the tipper mechanic (though Marth's meteor smash is more powerful and is technically considered a tipper, even if it doesn't act like one: Marth's normal tipper on his down air is not a meteor smash and goes by the normal rules for his tipper mechanics).
* Both Marth and Lucina has a tipper effect on the down smash where opponents are sent horizontally instead of vertically.

Lucina is slightly shorter. It means she's slightly harder to hit, but her range (vertical in particular) is also slightly worse than Marth which means that she has a slightly higher chance to whiff some combos. It also makes hitting enemies on small platforms on Battlefield (and some other stages) more of a chore for Lucina while Marth will have an easier time. This won't really matter most of the time but is something to keep in mind anyways.

Different Shieldbreaker and Counter animations, but attack speed is otherwise the same.

Marth has a different hitstun modifier from most characters: He has less delay if he hits with an untipped attack and more delay if he hits with a tipped attack, but also more shield knockback. Lucina has the same modifier as the others. As for how this affects Marth and Lucina:
* Hitstun basically gives you a delay that depends on the move's power after you hit the opponent, regardless of whether the opponent shields or not. Opponents hit by attacks also suffer from a special kind of stun that determines the delay before they're knocked back. A shielding opponent suffer a special kind of hitstun which delays their ability to do things like grabbing, rolling, sidestepping, jumping out of shield, etc, and they typically slide backwards a fair bit as well, dependent on their traction and the power of the opponent's attack (which I will call shield knockback henceforth).
* Marth's untipped attacks means he can do things faster. the 2-3 frames that he is not delayed as much as others could mean the difference between getting away or eating an attack.
* Marth's tipped attacks, despite the increased hitstun, also have more shield knockback, which generally amounts to the same thing as his untipped attacks' lower hitstun.
* Lucina can't finish her attacks as fast as Marth does if untipped, nor does she have the shield knockback of Marth's tipped attacks. This means she can't play as aggressively as Marth can, and certain bread-and-butter strategies for both are more unsafe with Lucina than with Marth.

Different taunts and victory poses/lines.

The rest (attack speed, walking speed, jump height, weight, etc.) are EXACTLY the same for both characters. There's no other differences.

If it sounds like the differences make Lucina a worse Marth in just about every way... you'd be right. The consistent damage, her defining trait, is not good enough compensation for losing the other advantages that Marth has above her.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

If it sounds like the differences make Lucina a worse Marth in just about every way... you'd be right. The consistent damage, her defining trait, is not good enough compensation for losing the other advantages that Marth has above her.

On the other hand, Lucina doesn't sound like a twelve year old boy with a cold.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Is there any way to play co-op in the same room, against other random people online? I can only find the option to play co-op locally against friends online.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

For Little Mac, use his side B to recover, that'll keep you alive much longer than trying to jump back and up-B to the stage. Still doesn't help with platform heavy stages or if you fall too far before you regain control, but it helps.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Long John Power posted:

Is there any way to play co-op in the same room, against other random people online? I can only find the option to play co-op locally against friends online.

It might only be in For Fun, but it's definitely possible.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Long John Power posted:

Online>With Anyone>For Glory/Fun>Team Smash>Two Players

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
My theory has turned out correct:

quote:

Street fighter gets a new game after 6 years, full interesting new tech and engine changes. Smash gets new graphics and loses chain grabs.

Capcom asks top players for opinions and tests on-location. Nintendo trains sakurai to ask his devoted players "have you even made a game?"

The theory being that the Hardcore Smash Community is the only place on this planet you'll ever hear people unironically say how awesome of a company Capcom is and how much more Capcom cares about their loyal fans and customers than Nintendo does.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

My theory has turned out correct:

The theory being that the Hardcore Smash Community is the only place on this planet you'll ever hear people unironically say how awesome of a company Capcom is and how much more Capcom cares about their loyal fans and customers than Nintendo does.

That tweet doesn't actually say Capcom's awesome, does it?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
On that topic, Sakurai says there will be no more balance patches after 1.04.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

quote:

He did mention, however, that if there are any glaring issues with the characters' customize parts or moves, the development team would address them too -- but only if necessary.

This part is interesting. It's like he's saying "A Meta Knight-esque problem won't happen again though if it starts to become an epidemic" without actually saying it.

Like considering how Meta Knight became PUNISHED Knight he realized how corrosive something like that can become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Yoshis who only throw eggs are probably the most annoying thing in this game.

• Locked thread