Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because wireless is slow you big nerd.
You don't use OS X so I suppose you're unaware how bad Android Transfer Utility is on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

You don't use OS X so I suppose you're unaware how bad Android Transfer Utility is on it.

Yeah, a vast supermajority of the planet's computer owning population doesn't either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, a vast supermajority of the planet's computer owning population doesn't either.
But the guy I was replying to is.

It's almost like there was context to the question.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LastInLine posted:

Not sure what you're transferring where, but ES explorer etc can connect to a samba share (or anything else you can imagine), making data transfer nice and quick.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

But the guy I was replying to is.

It's almost like there was context to the question.

Doesn't matter, Android transfer on a Mac last time I had to use it was still significantly faster than wireless.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My name is Eric. I watch this show that has basically become a 45 minute period where I wonder what happened to Laurel's face.

And the Confused flashes on the screen with Laurel's dedicated face behind it.
Thanks for the spoiler, jerk. Now I know that Laurel doesn't die in season two.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Thanks for the spoiler, jerk. Now I know that Laurel doesn't die in season two.

Ha, I wondered what happened to that post. Thanks Android Awful App!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Doesn't matter, Android transfer on a Mac last time I had to use it was still significantly faster than wireless.
It's faster but not reliable for large or large numbers of files. So do you have a lot of small files to transfer? It will fail. Do you have one big file to transfer? It will fail.

It's only faster in the situations where you don't care about speed. Do you really need speed? LOL, sorry, it doesn't work for this thing that would save you a lot of time.

wooger posted:

Not sure what you're transferring where, but ES explorer etc can connect to a samba share (or anything else you can imagine), making data transfer nice and quick.
This is the best way to transfer files. Slower, but you can start it and know it will complete.

e:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Never did this for me. Including transferring an entire folder of TitaniumBackup files, which was easily thousands of files.
This is actually the exact use case I was referring to. I've never, ever had it successfully move that folder and that's the one time where wireless is just painful.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 14, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

It's faster but not reliable for large or large numbers of files. So do you have a lot of small files to transfer? It will fail. Do you have one big file to transfer? It will fail.

Never did this for me. Including transferring an entire folder of TitaniumBackup files, which was easily thousands of files.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GregNorc posted:

Too paranoid (and lazy) to set up Bluetooth syncing
Okay I'll admit wires are better than Bluetooth of all things.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Wires are alright, but LastInLine is smart to recommend ES File Explorer. I've nearly stopped giving a poo poo about space in my devices, because my network attached 2 TB HDD has all my stuff anyway. I can wirelessly stream movies no problem (I do have a nice router, YMMV there). It's awesome.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ha, I wondered what happened to that post. Thanks Android Awful App!

Interesting, I don't think we had one of those in a while. At least this time it's not a rape or feminism thread or wherever the other guy posted his workout details in.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I need to root my LG 8.3 LTE so i can install Link2SD. Can someone direct me to some helpful instructions? I used to root my phone back when it worthwhile but it's been a while. But at least I'm somewhat familiar with the process.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I have a samsung galaxy tab pro and my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but I am having a problem when using bluetooth controller (Playstation Dualshock 4) with virtually any emulators/games. I am getting input lag and even if I hit the key a few times on the controller it doesn't register and when it does there is like a few milliseconds (and sometimes non responsive) of lag. I am sitting right in front of the tablet with the bluetooth paired up and can't think of any settings that would change this. I can't use it plugged in since I don't have a mini usb adapter quite yet will be the next step but I wanted to play games without my cat chewing through the cables across the room. My question is there any setting anywhere on the device to lower the input lag or can change latency for bluetooth devices> This is the only thing I imagine is that there is input lag. THe games run very quickly so it doesn't seem to be a problem with game lag.

Once again let me know if this goes to another thread. THank you.

Also does there happen to be any application that changes the dualshock to xinput so I can play xcom with a controller on my tablet?

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 15, 2014

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
So seriously, are android tablet apps mature enough that I could safely buy a Galaxy S Tab and not be disappointed that I didnt get an iPad mini? That screen and size factor sure is nicer than the iPad but I know android tablets were lagging behind iOS for the past few years.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

So seriously, are android tablet apps mature enough that I could safely buy a Galaxy S Tab and not be disappointed that I didnt get an iPad mini?

Nope.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

So seriously, are android tablet apps mature enough that I could safely buy a Galaxy S Tab and not be disappointed that I didnt get an iPad mini? That screen and size factor sure is nicer than the iPad but I know android tablets were lagging behind iOS for the past few years.

After I managed to break my Kindle and iPad screens (Well my dog was responsible for the iPad) I was really on the fence between the Tab S and iPad Mini, in the end I am really happy with my decision with the Tab S, the screen is gorgeous and I think the 16:9 display is ideal for my usage.

As for tablet apps, honestly they are still kind of poo poo but I don't play games so between calender, notes, web, books, email and video I haven't run into any major problems but things are absolutely much, much, much more mature on the iPad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Every app I touch on a daily basis has a good tablet layout, so it certainly depends on what exactly you use.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Well to be honest the most important thing for me is for the web browser, Chrome or otherwise, to run as smoothly as Safari on iPad, and ebook/comics apps that are at least on par with the iPad stuff.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

Well to be honest the most important thing for me is for the web browser, Chrome or otherwise, to run as smoothly as Safari on iPad, and ebook/comics apps that are at least on par with the iPad stuff.

Chrome might be slightly slower than Safari but you should have no problem with web or books.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

The Nexus 7 is an insane deal and I upgraded from an original Mini to it last year. Haven't had any issues at all and love using Chrome. The Mini with retina is still pretty nice, especially with the bigger screen and better aspect ratio. For $150 or so the Nexus 7 is a crazy good deal right now though.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

The Nexus 7 is an insane deal and I upgraded from an original Mini to it last year. Haven't had any issues at all and love using Chrome. The Mini with retina is still pretty nice, especially with the bigger screen and better aspect ratio. For $150 or so the Nexus 7 is a crazy good deal right now though.

Yeah I thought about the Nexus but I think Ill go for the tab S because of the larger screen and smaller bezel.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

I paid $130 for mine and at that price I'm extremely happy (post-Lollipop, it never ran correctly on KitKat). I'll tell you though I'd be a lot less happy at $200 and would be completely dissatisfied at $250. The lowered expectations are really what makes it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
All HTC Accessories from htc.com are 50% off. Snag the Coral Amythist (red) Nexus 9 cover for $20.

http://www.htc.com/us/tablets/nexus-9/

See if you can find it on your own. Seriously, try it on your own.

Third segment, click on the right bottom side, the link that says "soft shell case"

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nice, at half price the keyboard case is almost kind of reasonably priced.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

Nice, at half price the keyboard case is almost kind of reasonably priced.

Yeah, I keep hemming and hawing over buying it. I really don't need it though, and $70 is much better spent elsewhere. I got the cover, though. A few sites have better pics of it, and it's pretty much red, not pink like it looks on their site.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Yeah, I keep hemming and hawing over buying it. I really don't need it though, and $70 is much better spent elsewhere. I got the cover, though. A few sites have better pics of it, and it's pretty much red, not pink like it looks on their site.

Looks like even the red/coral one is out of stock now. Or at least it does for me.

Highly considering that keyboard even though I will probably never use it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

All HTC Accessories from htc.com are 50% off. Snag the Coral Amythist (red) Nexus 9 cover for $20.

http://www.htc.com/us/tablets/nexus-9/

See if you can find it on your own. Seriously, try it on your own.

Third segment, click on the right bottom side, the link that says "soft shell case"

Thanks for the heads up :) Nabbed one finally.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

Yeah I thought about the Nexus but I think Ill go for the tab S because of the larger screen and smaller bezel.

Go for the tab S. Multi-view is seriously one of the best things to ever happen to tablets. It would be extremely hard to go back to a tablet that doesn't have it now :( (which is all of them besides Samsung).

If Netflix and Hulu added multi-view support...game loving over.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Go for the tab S. Multi-view is seriously one of the best things to ever happen to tablets. It would be extremely hard to go back to a tablet that doesn't have it now :( (which is all of them besides Samsung).

If Netflix and Hulu added multi-view support...game loving over.
That's one of the big reasons I'm getting one; I love it on my Galaxy SIII and I'm guessing it's really handy on a full-sized tablet.

P.S. Awful is multiwindow enabled.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

nmfree posted:

That's one of the big reasons I'm getting one; I love it on my Galaxy SIII and I'm guessing it's really handy on a full-sized tablet.

P.S. Awful is multiwindow enabled.

Yeah, I use the awful app and watch hockey games using hockeystreams at the same time. It's amazing.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there anyone else still waiting on the OTA lollipop update on their 2013 Nexus 7? Feels like I've been waiting forever now.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

rawrr posted:

Is there anyone else still waiting on the OTA lollipop update on their 2013 Nexus 7? Feels like I've been waiting forever now.

5.0.1? I think you can flash the OTA

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

5.0.1? I think you can flash the OTA
You can flash the OTA for any update.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless you have the LTE model since that still doesn't even have 5.0.

Apparently writing a tablet-sized modem is hard or something :iiam: .

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Unless you have the LTE model since that still doesn't even have 5.0.

Apparently writing a tablet-sized modem is hard or something :iiam: .

The LTE software requires a lot more than just installed a new driver. You have to write new drivers for the OS and kernel, and then get it through the carrier approval processes. I worked on getting a device through a carrier approval (Verizon) once, and it was a nightmare. The device was basically a laptop with an off the shelf Huaweii (already approved by Verizon) modem in it and a custom anntenna. It took weeks of just emailing huge nonsense Excel sheets that asked the same question seventeen different times, asked questions that weren't applicable with a drop down that didn't include an N/A option. If any question wasn't answered, it'd get rejected, only after two weeks of waiting. I realistically spent a year just emailing the same two Excel sheets to different people at Verizon, and only after 10 months did they finally agree to actually test the device. It was a nightmare.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The LTE software requires a lot more than just installed a new driver. You have to write new drivers for the OS and kernel, and then get it through the carrier approval processes. I worked on getting a device through a carrier approval (Verizon) once, and it was a nightmare. The device was basically a laptop with an off the shelf Huaweii (already approved by Verizon) modem in it and a custom anntenna. It took weeks of just emailing huge nonsense Excel sheets that asked the same question seventeen different times, asked questions that weren't applicable with a drop down that didn't include an N/A option. If any question wasn't answered, it'd get rejected, only after two weeks of waiting. I realistically spent a year just emailing the same two Excel sheets to different people at Verizon, and only after 10 months did they finally agree to actually test the device. It was a nightmare.
I know all of this, though it is clearly less of an issue for a device that Verizon doesn't even sell. And there's no way Google does this kind of process for every single worldwide carrier for every Nexus device just in case someone BYODs a Nexus to their network.

My actual point was that the mobile-enabled Nexus tablets are always considerably slower than everything else including phones which are pretty much the exact same device in a different form factor.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

I know all of this, though it is clearly less of an issue for a device that Verizon doesn't even sell. And there's no way Google does this kind of process for every single worldwide carrier for every Nexus device just in case someone BYODs a Nexus to their network.

My actual point was that the mobile-enabled Nexus tablets are always considerably slower than everything else including phones which are pretty much the exact same device in a different form factor.

Maybe there's a trade off of sold units versus engineering resources assigned to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tunga posted:

I know all of this, though it is clearly less of an issue for a device that Verizon doesn't even sell.

Also Verizon didn't agree with that statement even before they started selling it:

quote:

The Google Nexus 7 is not yet a Verizon 4G LTE certified device, though it entered our process in August and we expect it will be certified shortly. Once the device is certified, we will work with Google to enable the device to be activated on our 4G LTE network.

Verizon Wireless’ certification process, which generally takes between four and six weeks, is one of the most rigorous testing protocols of any carrier, and is focused on guarding the safety and security of our network. Certification is done by third party labs approved by Verizon, and selected by the device manufacturer. Over the years, Verizon Wireless has certified hundreds of devices; information on the certification process is available to anyone at opennetwork.verizonwireless.com.

Verizon is committed to ensuring our customers have the best overall experience when any device becomes available on the nation's most reliable network.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2013/09/verizon-wireless-device-certification-statement.html

(It didn't take six weeks, it took 5 months).

Seems pretty much a foregone conclusion that the delay is due to approval hell given Verizon's track record with the last Google reference tablet they carried (4G Xoom took 13 months to get 4.1) and the fact that the delays coincide almost exactly with when they started offering it. The N7 2012 3G then suffers the collateral damage because it makes sense to choreograph its 5.0 rollout with the 2013 LTE.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 17, 2014