Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It seems like getting married is a requirement before commissioning though. I can count on one hand the amount of bachelor officers I worked with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

It seems like getting married is a requirement before commissioning though. I can count on one hand the amount of bachelor officers I worked with

I know tons of single JOs....but as I get closer to 30, the number is dropping. Personally, I love being single and have no desire to settle down yet. I'm free to travel, I've banked a ton of cash, I don't have family obligations/concerns in as far as picking duty stations goes, and I generally just do whatever the gently caress I want.

Several of my coworkers at my last duty station (on both the O & E side) would try to set me up with their wives' friends, friends daughters, neighbors daughters, etc. (most of the wives were Korean/Japanese)...which was great, because they did a lot of the work for me. I never had the heart to tell them that I'd usually nail the girl in question a couple times and just sorta move on. The husbands (the dudes I actually worked with) all knew I wasn't settling down any time soon as had to live vicariously through me since they'd all gotten locked down years ago with the wife/kids. Monday mornings in my predominantly all-male office literally always started off with mandatory "so, what did YOU do this weekend buttplug?" story-time.

Even *if* I do get married down the road, I have absolutely zero desire to have kids. People pull the whole "oh you'll change your mind when you get older" card on me once in a while, but the older I get the less I want kids. No thanks.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 15, 2014

Nine Five Four
Aug 26, 2014

I want numbers. Lots and lots of numbers.
Hi, I posted this in Ask/Tell under legal questions but maybe someone here knows something.

My ex got out of the Navy and all our stuff was put into military storage, as we thought we were going to take our time with picking where to live and stuff. Anyways, after he got out he left me, and now we're divorcing which has taken a turn for the worse.

He signed a specific power of attorney so I could get the car into my name only which I already did. But it's not one that JAG did. We did it on LegalZoom. There was a provision about the car, and also this other provision:

quote:

TANGIBLE PERSONAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS:

Buy or otherwise acquire ownership or possession of, sell or otherwise dispose of, mortgage, pledge, assign, lease, insure, maintain, improve, pay taxes, otherwise manage personal property that I now own or later acquire.

This leads me to believe I could use the POA I have to get our household goods shipped because it says "otherwise manage personal property." It's in our divorce agreement we both signed that the goods would be shipped to me, but now I have reason to believe he won't comply, and this could be my way around it to make sure it's enforced. But when I googled there were very specific JAG forms for this kind of thing and I feel like it won't be accepted. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask, but maybe by chance other Goons have some insight here?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Try this thread but I'm sure someone here can chime in

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671019&perpage=40&pagenumber=4

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 15, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
^^^^^^^ See, see! poo poo like this is exactly why I love being single.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

I got married shortly before promoting to JG and it was a great decision. Of course, I chose to marry someone whom I had known for years and who I knew was intelligent, hardworking, and responsible. Someone who was capable of paying bills and taking the car to the mechanic and managing a household, living independently for months at a time. It really took some of the burden off of me during deployments because I didn't have to care at all about household finances or any of that because she could do that without assistance.

Also, no kids during active duty. A woman who can regularly take a pill in the morning is a must.

Marriage isn't bad, but a lot of idiots get married who shouldn't.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

buttplug posted:

Several of my coworkers at my last duty station (on both the O & E side) would try to set me up with their wives' friends, friends daughters, neighbors daughters, etc. (most of the wives were Korean/Japanese)...which was great, because they did a lot of the work for me. I never had the heart to tell them that I'd usually nail the girl in question a couple times and just sorta move on. The husbands (the dudes I actually worked with) all knew I wasn't settling down any time soon as had to live vicariously through me since they'd all gotten locked down years ago with the wife/kids. Monday mornings in my predominantly all-male office literally always started off with mandatory "so, what did YOU do this weekend buttplug?" story-time.

Just reverse engineered some malware...heh :dealwithit:

drat son are you for real?

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

us navy bros slam slit all the time dude

vains
May 26, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

us navy bros slam slit all the time dude

14 year olds in Thailand dont count retard

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
lol buttplug acts like being single is his choice

vains
May 26, 2004

Buttplug is living the yospos dream. Just spends all day hacking the internet while kneedeep in sideways vagina. Just wading in a tsunami of yellow pussy, practically drowning in that poo poo. The best part: he aint afraid to tell all his bros about it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

See, at this point in my career, I kind of disagree with this. I won't argue it because it's pointless, and honestly I don't really know how I would fix it. But I resent that my children are five years apart because of a career that will be over soon. My family is FAR more important to me and I set them aside for it and that's crap.

I also disagree with having to do it, but honestly the only other choice is to completely gently caress up manning in most cases.

bengy81 posted:

That obligation ends as soon they stop babying all the idiots/malingerers hanging out at the island of broken toys for months and years at a time, or when commands stop capping sailors so they don't get the boot because they have a million loving kids.

The military is just a big welfare system for people that can function in the real world.

This is all true.

bengy81 posted:

It sucks when a chick gets knocked up to get out of a deployment, but it is also just as shity when a dude fakes an injury or throws himself downstairs to get out of one too. It sucks that the good female sailors get judged harshly for trying to properly plan a family, and I think part of the problem could be relieved if shops were manned at rates higher than they currently are.

El oh loving el. That can happen once Washington realizes if they keep cutting spending then they have to scale back the mission. Which they won't ever concede. I'm pretty sure I'm not telling you anything new though.

Lots of people upset at married people in the military itt, and I think it's because like everything in the military, you have a bunch of loving jackholes getting married and loving it all up for the regular functioning members.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 15, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Welcome to the Internet.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

lol buttplug acts like being single is his choice

:emo:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Stultus Maximus posted:

I got married shortly before promoting to JG and it was a great decision. Of course, I chose to marry someone whom I had known for years and who I knew was intelligent, hardworking, and responsible. Someone who was capable of paying bills and taking the car to the mechanic and managing a household, living independently for months at a time. It really took some of the burden off of me during deployments because I didn't have to care at all about household finances or any of that because she could do that without assistance.

Also, no kids during active duty. A woman who can regularly take a pill in the morning is a must.

Marriage isn't bad, but a lot of idiots get married who shouldn't.

You sound like a real dreamy guy. :allears:

quote:

My ex got out of the Navy and all our stuff was put into military storage, as we thought we were going to take our time with picking where to live and stuff. Anyways, after he got out he left me, and now we're divorcing which has taken a turn for the worse.

He signed a specific power of attorney so I could get the car into my name only which I already did. But it's not one that JAG did. We did it on LegalZoom. There was a provision about the car, and also this other provision:

See, this poo poo is why we have separate everything.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
lol at people who think all marriages are A-School marriages.

I visited boot camp as part of the CO pipeline. My only advice to those kids was to not marry their girlfriends until after they do at least one deployment together. I doubt any of them well listen... :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Unfortunately some people find out about all the benefits and dat extra pay in boot camp and do it right before they ship

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's like trying to get teenagers to practice abstinence. You should teach them get prenuptial agreements instead.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Christoff posted:

^ yeah pretty much

The senior enlisted are sympathetic because they all have 4 kids and a bitchy fat wife with medical issues. Meanwhile the e-3/e-4 scrubs have to pick up the work to go home to a shared barracks room and are getting yelled at because they have twice the work and can't keep up and are always in sight of the higher ups and they gotta bitch at someone then they miss out on all that extra pay while being treated like a plebeian because they decided to not get married or have kids

Then you ask to run a personal errand or even going to the PX and Jesus Christ it's like you're asking for some huge personal favor

so much this!!!!

guess who gets to stand watch every holiday for the last 2 years because "well you don't have a family here to spend time with" like I couldn't be hanging out with friends drinking too. some sailors are more equal than others. /can of worms

Arione fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 15, 2014

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Arione posted:

so much this!!!!

like if u cry evrytim 😿

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Sir Lucius posted:

It's like trying to get teenagers to practice abstinence. You should teach them get prenuptial agreements instead.

This would be so much more valuable than that stupid Compass class where they teach dependas how to read your LES and cheat the benefits system. It's too easy to get married in San Diego, kids just drive to Vegas.

My husband and I were both at the schoolhouse for a while; I was a student, he was teaching. Different pipelines. But every crying student who wanted to get married to the love of their life that they met a month ago got both of us telling them not to and listing all of the lovely things that dual-mil brings to the table. We played "scared straight" almost every week.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MancXVI posted:

like if u cry evrytim 😿

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

Come on, can we please not become the care factory in this thread again.

It literally opened up 2 weeks ago. It's in the same shopping block as the Wegman's, Target, and Safeway on route 3. Not even on google maps yet.

Are you trying to imply it's better than the Cancun Cantina?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/murder-charge-is-recommended-for-us-marine-in-death-of-transgender-filipino.html?_r=0

Marine asshat murders a transgendered Filipino because he was surprised with penis. He broke this woman's neck.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

poopkitty posted:

You sound like a real dreamy guy. :allears:

Incredibly so.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Angry Fish posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/murder-charge-is-recommended-for-us-marine-in-death-of-transgender-filipino.html?_r=0

rear end in a top hat asshat murders a transgendered Filipino because he was surprised with penis. He broke this woman's neck.

Man. In the Phillipines? Thats the very last place you want to have legal issues

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Angry Fish posted:

Marine asshat murders a transgendered Filipino because he was surprised with penis. He broke this woman's neck.

Thanks rear end in a top hat! Now it's 2 times that I've only seen the Phillipines from the rails!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

CMD598 posted:

Thanks rear end in a top hat! Now it's 2 times that I've only seen the Phillipines from the rails!

You can always just move down there when you retire and join the expat community living permanently on the shore with their Landshark six-packs and protruding ventral fat deposits.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Also, hey bubbleheads! Looks like the Navy purchased an overpriced piece of junk eReader for your underwater voyages:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5688760/the-navy-built-an-e-reader-nerd

This is old, but I find it funny given that I bet the contract for these things calls for a unit price of $980 ea. Doesn't everybody and their mother own a Kindle already?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Angry Fish posted:

Also, hey bubbleheads! Looks like the Navy purchased an overpriced piece of junk eReader for your underwater voyages:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5688760/the-navy-built-an-e-reader-nerd

This is old, but I find it funny given that I bet the contract for these things calls for a unit price of $980 ea. Doesn't everybody and their mother own a Kindle already?

Yes, and that's exactly the reason the Navy built their own.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

poopkitty posted:

This would be so much more valuable than that stupid Compass class where they teach dependas how to read your LES and cheat the benefits system. It's too easy to get married in San Diego, kids just drive to Vegas.

This idea is stolen from someone else but you know they could just provide incentives to stay single. Like give everyone BAH, or at least pay you extra money to live in the barracks. Make the barracks more like apartments (San Diego already does this right?) with more privacy and no loving shared rooms. Stop waking people
up at 5 am for field day inspections and to police call. Give everyone COMRATS/BAS and family sep pay on deployment. Like, because I'm not married I don't have family?

If I got married at my last command it would have been a 110% pay raise. I saw so many contract marriages and rushed ones that failed as she took all his poo poo on deployment it's ridiculous

Angry Fish posted:

Yeah this happened in October. When I was there a sailor broke a window and caused a ruckus in a business, wrestled a cop, ran away from the cops, (think he was handcuffed or in the car) and fought his friends who were trying to contain him. JAG left ship with a big bag of money and he got flown off soon after and NJP'd and kicked out

Angry Fish posted:

You can always just move down there when you retire and join the expat community living permanently on the shore with their Landshark six-packs and protruding ventral fat deposits.

I remember seeing the creepiest fat old white dudes (presumably retired Navy) with a group of young chicks in a lot of different bars. Some other retired Navy dudes had a quick chat with us and then gave us some Jehovas Witness pamphlets or Mormon I don't remember

Wasn't there talk of making a base again in Subic or the Phillipines? Let's face it like any other place we're at they hate us now but once we completely pack up and go they instantly miss all that money and employment

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Wow, are there really only 2 chicks in here?

I get being pissed off when someone gets pregnant on deployment. However, I also get people (like a friend of mine who was already over 30, so tick tock tick tock) who get fed up trying to do right by the Navy, take poo poo job after poo poo job with the understanding from the detailer that "ok, yeah, we know you're taking 2 back to back hardship assignments, so we'll give you a nice shore duty slot next so you can pop out a kid" only to be told "Oh, yeah, last detailer didn't make a note of that, and he just PCSd, so congratulations on your new assignment to the USS Shitbox." It would be nice if we hadn't civilianized all the nice comfy jobs that could be used to give people a break off of sea duty for any reason, kids, school, or "I'm just loving sick of being on a boat." also, optimal manning can go gently caress itself.

While I was in, I didn't have kids...but I had to spend a month doing another JO's work for him while he was taking "paternity leave." He didn't even have the goddamn kid. But, you know, special snowflake and all. (This of course is the same JO that made formal complaints against me and another female JO because of our "offensive language." The sad thing was, HE was the LEP. How he ever survived as a DIVO on a Destroyer I will never know.)

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Christoff posted:

I remember seeing the creepiest fat old white dudes (presumably retired Navy) with a group of young chicks in a lot of different bars. Some other retired Navy dudes had a quick chat with us and then gave us some Jehovas Witness pamphlets or Mormon I don't remember

Wasn't there talk of making a base again in Subic or the Phillipines? Let's face it like any other place we're at they hate us now but once we completely pack up and go they instantly miss all that money and employment

I've never been to the Philippines, so thank you for confirming my constructed opinion of the expat community overe there.

If they made a naval base in the Philippines, it would just be another Diego Garcia for the Pacific. No dependents, a lack of usable infrastructure, and a harbor (cause you're sure as hell not using Manila) that makes groundings a common occurance because they simply can't dredge up enough of that soft silt + hard calcium combo deposits to get anything of significant draft through the channel.

edit: It would be an expensive project, is all I'm saying.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sounds like a fun tour do I get all that extra pay too and 1 year rotations?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

This idea is stolen from someone else but you know they could just provide incentives to stay single. Like give everyone BAH, or at least pay you extra money to live in the barracks. Make the barracks more like apartments (San Diego already does this right?) with more privacy and no loving shared rooms. Stop waking people
up at 5 am for field day inspections and to police call. Give everyone COMRATS/BAS and family sep pay on deployment. Like, because I'm not married I don't have family?

If I got married at my last command it would have been a 110% pay raise. I saw so many contract marriages and rushed ones that failed as she took all his poo poo on deployment it's ridiculous

They bend over backwards just to make sure we don't see BAS/COMRATS. When I first got to this command I put in a request for COMRATS because I stood EVO with the paramedics and had to go a full 24 hours throughout the week because people would transfer and we were bleeding as a duty section. The answer from my Chief at the time was that I should pass the pager over to someone not on duty that is qualified for the watch and grab a meal, regardless of if I was out in Fresno or San Diego or anywhere where there wasn't a barracks. It was comical at best. Now they're closing the base galleys because of budget cuts and the primary plan isn't to give BAS to people that already have access to kitchens in their barracks, whether it's in the new ones where the hot plate is in the room or if it's in the older ones where it's a community kitchen of sorts, the plan remains to give that BAS money to the restaurant on base where only selectively listed items on the menu will be paid through BAS. If you pick something that isn't selected, you have to pay out of pocket. Now will people have enough time to even eat? Hell no, even regular service leads to a 15-30 minute wait for food and there isn't enough space to handle that many people during lunch/dinner, and it isn't even open for breakfast. Guess some shady owner shaking hands with the right people counts for something. It's distasteful that a restaurant with a brewery wouldn't take BAS as a form of payment to at least help these poor bastards get wasted on their own money.

TL;DR: The Navy comes up with retarded solutions.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Christoff posted:

Bro I'm so with you. McDonald's doesn't give a gently caress if you're married. I mean, I get that it's hard for spouses to find jobs and that's why they incentivize housing - but I don't give a gently caress. You chose this life, suck it up buttercup. Everyone should get BAH commensurate with rank regardless of dependent status. (And the OHA process is beyond hosed, especially for dual mil. At least it's in the hands of foreign nationals with NO FREAKING CLUE what you're talking about when you ask questions.)

Also, they charge for on base daycare by rank. What the gently caress is that? Why am I paying in the top tier because we both have jobs, and the SN with a "full time working" spouse who sells loving mary kay pays $10 a week for their 3 kids. Bullshit.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pandasmores posted:

TL;DR: The Navy comes up with retarded solutions.

They did this at Fallon too and it's pretty silly. They closed down the galley, then renovated the seldom-used dining area of the O Club to add a cafeteria-style buffet line with a fixed price per meal. But it's totally not a galley! The food was actually pretty good, but I don't see why they went to all that trouble to essentially re-invent the wheel. poo poo, I just remembered that our CSes even went TAD there just like they normally would at a galley or on the boat.

You can also get a fixed-price meal at the base cafe/E Club that sells burgers and such. It's like they just arbitrarily made it a lot harder and more disorganized to get a meal.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

poopkitty posted:

Bro I'm so with you. McDonald's doesn't give a gently caress if you're married. I mean, I get that it's hard for spouses to find jobs and that's why they incentivize housing - but I don't give a gently caress. You chose this life, suck it up buttercup. Everyone should get BAH commensurate with rank regardless of dependent status. (And the OHA process is beyond hosed, especially for dual mil. At least it's in the hands of foreign nationals with NO FREAKING CLUE what you're talking about when you ask questions.)

Also, they charge for on base daycare by rank. What the gently caress is that? Why am I paying in the top tier because we both have jobs, and the SN with a "full time working" spouse who sells loving mary kay pays $10 a week for their 3 kids. Bullshit.

I just want to point out that every navy spouse sells either mary kay, shakelogy, or some other MLM scheme

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KetTarma posted:

I just want to point out that every navy spouse sells either mary kay, shakelogy, or some other MLM scheme

Scentsy candles too, or whatever the gently caress they are called.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

KetTarma posted:

They had a Shakeology convention here in Chicago during the summer, and all these twenty-somethings duped into hawking overpriced "health shakes" came by to stand beneath the bean. I kept my thoughts on how the hell these people feed themselves on the pittance their pyramid scheme trickles down to them to myself, and my god it was like a cult what with their enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

KetTarma posted:

Or they are photographers. Every fatty with a DSLR and photoshop is a photographer.

• Locked thread