Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
If there are bombs all over Sydney, how exactly does a country on high level terror alert let that one slip through? Also the Courier Mail is running the headline "JIHADISTS TAKE OVER CITY CENTRE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Does it really matter if its an "Islamic State" flag v.s. just a flag with Arabic writing if the whole point of them brandishing the flag is to link it to Islamic extremism?

Does it matter what the facts are as long as we get the feels right?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress this guy, and the inevitable legislative response.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Whatever the outcome (hopefully peaceful) it sends a strong message to Lindt that their products should be Halal and not harem.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

T-1000 posted:

Considering this is a siege with hostages, I'd sort of hope they have the SWAT guys. I also hope they aren't needed.

ABC News 24 is interviewing a guy from the Lowy Institute for International Policy. He's admitted to knowing as much about the flag as the newsreader, but has basically been a sensible adult giving honest, cautious appraisals of how little is known about the situation. An amazing change from the gungh-hu US guy they had a few minutes ago.

yeah he's much better.

Also fair point muyb

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

If there are bombs all over Sydney, how exactly does a country on high level terror alert let that one slip through? Also the Courier Mail is running the headline "JIHADISTS TAKE OVER CITY CENTRE"

I'd suggest we scuttle our fighter plane fleet to ensure the terrorists don't take control of them, but luckily we don't even have to.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Splode posted:

Just saw a shot of one of the Police. Holy crap, I didn't realise our police force was that militarised already.

Special OPs get dressed up like that, not Sergeant Donger from the local station

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Splode posted:

Just saw a shot of one of the Police. Holy crap, I didn't realise our police force was that militarised already.

TOU Teams my friend, TOU teams.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

And now, an interview with a cafe owner nowhere near the site. Thanks for your time, guy whose cafe is over 300m away on a different street.

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!
I think if these morons had "bombs all over sydney", they wouldn't have to settle for a bloody chocolate store.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Do they really, though? That assertion seemed to come out of nowhere, especially given the rest of their show hasn't exactly been the most cunningly planned ordeal.

Hopefully not because 1) nobody will get hurt and 2) Ray Hadley gets fired and nobody lets him speak ever again. Unfortunately the latter is the most unlikely thing to happen today.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Xerxes17 posted:

This is basically the long and short of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Brain In A Jar posted:

And now, an interview with a cafe owner nowhere near the site. Thanks for your time, guy whose cafe is over 300m away on a different street.

Airtime won't fill itself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Splode posted:

Be worried if this is who gets sent out for jay walking, not a hostage situation with an armed hostage taker.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I guess I'm just glad this is the first time I've seen Australia's SWAT equivalent. Americans seem to bust theirs out all the time.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Neif posted:

Whatever the outcome (hopefully peaceful) it sends a strong message to Lindt that their products should be Halal and not harem.

:wiggle:

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
More the Guardian. This guy sounds cold as ice.

Nathan Grivas works in the Lindt Cafe and arrived for work just after the siege started. He told my colleague Oliver Milman he saw one of his colleagues pressed up against the window.

“It was already locked [when he arrived]. I didn’t get a good look at them, as soon as I saw the gun all I wanted to do was get out,” he said.

He said he thought one of the hostages looked at him.

“Lucky i didn’t start at 9 today. Hopefully they’ll be okay.”

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hell yeah mid morning shift works out again!

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
The guy on ABC News 24 knows his poo poo - the planned attack on the Holsworthy base was a much bigger deal than this, and the police's big job outside of the immediate area is containing peoples' speculation.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ewan posted:

More the Guardian. This guy sounds cold as ice.

Nathan Grivas works in the Lindt Cafe and arrived for work just after the siege started. He told my colleague Oliver Milman he saw one of his colleagues pressed up against the window.

“It was already locked [when he arrived]. I didn’t get a good look at them, as soon as I saw the gun all I wanted to do was get out,” he said.

He said he thought one of the hostages looked at him.

“Lucky i didn’t start at 9 today. Hopefully they’ll be okay.”

Just more honest than Bruno, I reckon. I think I'd probably feel exactly the same way in his situation.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Neif posted:

kill yourself

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Does it matter what the facts are as long as we get the feels right?

Fair enough.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
The anti islam dribble is already flying "WE SHOULD BAN ISLAM".... Yeah! That'll fix everything! Turn into a fascist country! :wtc:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Systematic posted:

The anti islam dribble is already flying "WE SHOULD BAN ISLAM".... Yeah! That'll fix everything! Turn into a fascist country! :wtc:

But if we ban Islam, only the criminals will have Islam!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Splode posted:

I guess I'm just glad this is the first time I've seen Australia's SWAT equivalent. Americans seem to bust theirs out all the time.

They do training ops on the news all the time, they are a very small portion of the overall police force. And they are properly militarized, in the sense that they are not only given military grade arms and equipment, but the training to use them properly in a crowded urban setting. They aren't a regular county unit that's been handed assault rifles and an apc ala Ferguson.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

I still haven't seen the footage of the Lindt employees making throat-cutting gestures that is supposedly all over twitter according to the media.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Lid posted:

Be worried if this is who gets sent out for jay walking, not a hostage situation with an armed hostage taker.

Systematic posted:

Xerxes17 posted:

All I'm saying is, I think we might start seeing Police with this equipment more frequently.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

hiddenmovement posted:

They do training ops on the news all the time, they are a very small portion of the overall police force. And they are properly militarized, in the sense that they are not only given military grade arms and equipment, but the training to use them properly in a crowded urban setting. They aren't a regular county unit that's been handed assault rifles and an apc ala Ferguson.

I hope it stays that way. I think the police absolutely should have units like this, for the record, they just make me nervous.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Media Watch is gonna be good this week

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Splode posted:

All I'm saying is, I think we might start seeing Police with this equipment more frequently.
More guys with this gear wouldn't have stopped this from happening, and I don't know if there's any shortage of them in the city right now.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

hiddenmovement posted:

Media Watch is gonna be good this week

It's on holidays.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Some people are going crazy saying they have grenades and heavy weapons without any evidence.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Anidav posted:

Some people are going crazy saying they have grenades and heavy weapons without any evidence.

So, News LTD?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Comstar posted:

It's on holidays.

Come on ABC, give us a Christmas special

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
Guy on ABC News 24 is outlining how the media should be responding and not giving tactical information to the hostage-takers. Like the kind of guns cops have, armour, whether they have grenades. While on a TV show broadcasting shots of police with all the gear.
He's also talking about how the hostage-takers would be able to watch these broadcasts. This is kind of meta. "You shouldn't be showing what you're currently showing" in not so many words.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
couriermail (lol) reporting that the hostage taker wants to talk to tony abbott live on radio...

sourced from ray hadley.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys

Splode posted:

Special ops police are not normal police

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
The guy on ABC ATM is a lot more cool headed than the old American earlier who was all Oorah, get in there and clear them out now.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Jerk Burger posted:

Special ops police are not normal police

SPECIAL POLICE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

T-1000 posted:

More guys with this gear wouldn't have stopped this from happening, and I don't know if there's any shortage of them in the city right now.

Well yes but this doesn't mean we're not going to be seeing new legislation tomorrow that promises An Assault Rifle for Every Constable.

• Locked thread